News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

You also used "what if" scenarios that were way less likely. Like one about Doug Watson collecting REBOR figures before their half-hearted apology towards him.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tanystropheus

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 21, 2015, 09:16:52 PM
You also used "what if" scenarios that were way less likely. Like one about Doug Watson collecting REBOR figures before their half-hearted apology towards him.

Earlier, I stated "what if" REBOR begins to collect Safari or Doug Watson dinosaurs. It was later revealed, that one of the REBOR representatives is a fan of the Wild Safari Ceratosaurus.

You have to keep in mind that REBOR only released 4 dinosaurs to the market. Will Doug Watson collect a REBOR dinosaur when there are 30 core REBORs in the market? I would imagine that it is likely based on Doug Watson's personal liking of Papos. Also, Doug Watson, as far as I can tell, doesn't hold a grudge. He only said that he would be displeased if individuals start making imitation copies of genuine Safari products.

CityRaptor

Said representative however never showed proof of actually owning the WS Ceratosaurus, which according to one of their followers is two colors of excrement...

You also made your scenario before Doug Watson said that he does not hold a grudge.
Oh no

tanystropheus

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 21, 2015, 09:03:24 PM
Depends on how much they care for scale and if the consider it a species of old Al or not.

All core REBOR dinosaurs adhere to 1/35 scale. The Limited Edition Club Selection "Jolly" and "Lock, Stock & Barrel" are non-scale. The Dimorphodon is 1/6 scale.

I'm not sure why you are applying a "what if" scenario here, especially when it seems that they are attempting to adhere to 1/35 scale for their core dinosaurs.

tanystropheus

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 21, 2015, 09:28:54 PM
Said representative however never showed proof of actually owning the WS Ceratosaurus, which according to one of their followers is two colors of excrement...

I haven't showed proof that I own a Battat Nanshiungosaurus. I suppose I just made that up.

tanystropheus

You also made your scenario before Doug Watson said that he does not hold a grudge.

Well, can you prove that he does hold a grudge?

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 21, 2015, 08:50:59 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 21, 2015, 05:24:35 PM
According commented on the facebook page Rebor will make an allosaurus will be the same size as the tyrannosaurus running Papo, as the company responded that one of the members of facebook Rebor.

Seems too big. Perhaps, they are making Saurophagonax.
That is my speculation as well.  I looked up species of Allosaur and that is the biggest if you consider it one.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

CityRaptor

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 21, 2015, 09:29:21 PM
I'm not sure why you are applying a "what if" scenario here, especially when it seems that they are attempting to adhere to 1/35 scale for their core dinosaurs.

Well, maybe their plans change...Keep in kind that this one would never interact with their others and we do not know if they consider it Allosaurus or not.

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 21, 2015, 09:32:26 PM

He confirmed that he doesn't. But at the time you posted that scenario, we did not know. And they had insulted him and his work.

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 21, 2015, 09:30:56 PM
I haven't showed proof that I own a Battat Nanshiungosaurus. I suppose I just made that up.

Well, you are not some representative how spits out results against rival companies like crazy.

Oh and would you please try not always post multiple posts.
Oh no

tanystropheus

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 21, 2015, 10:32:37 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on June 21, 2015, 09:29:21 PM

Well, maybe their plans change...Keep in kind that this one would never interact with their others and we do not know if they consider it Allosaurus or not.

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 21, 2015, 09:32:26 PM

He confirmed that he doesn't. But at the time you posted that scenario, we did not know. And they had insulted him and his work.

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 21, 2015, 09:30:56 PM

Well, you are not some representative how spits out results against rival companies like crazy.

Oh and would you please try not always post multiple posts.

You make a good point about the Saurophaganax and its position with respect to time and space; it doesn't have to conform to scale.

...Sorry, I'm not computer savvy and I don't know how to combine posts or quotes.

tanystropheus

It was recently posted by REBOR on FB:

...we are no longer referring to our products as "museum class" or scientific accurate...

This move might give REBOR considerable leeway to make their future products as scientifically accurate (as possible) or as Hollywood-ish (as possible) without being brutally critiqued for personal design choices.

CityRaptor

Well, it would probably have caused a lot less drama if they did not claim it in the first place.

Combining posts and quotes is a matter of copy and paste.
Oh no

stargatedalek

Rebor was never "being brutally critiqued for personal design choices". They were "brutally" critiqued for their deceitful advertising.

amargasaurus cazaui

The entire discussion about scale and what not does pose a rather amusing question in light of their psittacosaurus comment...if they are going to continue adhering to 1/35 strictly supposedly and they do create a psittacosaurus that would make the little guy....what an inch long at best? I am not good at scale conversion but mentally doing some rough figuring even, it would make such a tiny figure that it would not be plausible....
  Unless the idea is to create a herd style grouping similar to what I tried recently using Archaeoceratops, in which case it might create anetodotal evidence for another grouping or story like what is being done with some of the other models. Carnegie ran into this same issue when they created the Psittacosaurus model for their line and wound up making it out of scale as well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 22, 2015, 12:15:15 AM
The entire discussion about scale and what not does pose a rather amusing question in light of their psittacosaurus comment...if they are going to continue adhering to 1/35 strictly supposedly and they do create a psittacosaurus that would make the little guy....what an inch long at best? I am not good at scale conversion but mentally doing some rough figuring even, it would make such a tiny figure that it would not be plausible....
  Unless the idea is to create a herd style grouping similar to what I tried recently using Archaeoceratops, in which case it might create anetodotal evidence for another grouping or story like what is being done with some of the other models. Carnegie ran into this same issue when they created the Psittacosaurus model for their line and wound up making it out of scale as well.

a 1:35 Pisttacosaurus would be 2.2 inches long according to this

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 22, 2015, 12:08:33 AM
Rebor was never "being brutally critiqued for personal design choices". They were "brutally" critiqued for their deceitful advertising.

Tyco used to advertise their dino riders as "Museum Quality Replicas" at 1/24 scale. They were neither Museum Quality Replicas (although, the dinosaurs were later purchased by Smithsonian Museum) nor 1/24 scale (their 'Brontosaurus' is a colossus when compared to their Diplodocus). Tyco was never accused of deceitful advertising, although the products were heavily promoted as being accurate.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Takama on June 22, 2015, 12:21:18 AM

I am assuming you used a standard six foot long adult as your basis then for the figures, as that is the generlaly accepted adult max size for most of the species?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 22, 2015, 12:25:26 AM

I am assuming you used a standard six foot long adult as your basis then for the figures, as that is the generlaly accepted adult max size for most of the species?

Yes i go by the the largest Adults as i think that they would likely go for the largest specimens to replicate.  (Thats what i do for my line, rather or not Rebor does it is up for debate)

CityRaptor

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 22, 2015, 12:24:12 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on June 22, 2015, 12:08:33 AM

Tyco used to advertise their dino riders as "Museum Quality Replicas" at 1/24 scale. They were neither Museum Quality Replicas (although, the dinosaurs were later purchased by Smithsonian Museum) nor 1/24 scale (their 'Brontosaurus' is a colossus when compared to their Diplodocus). Tyco was never accused of deceitful advertising, although the products were heavily promoted as being accurate.

Well, that was the late 80s.  Things were different back then. They were also still superior to most other Dinosaurs or that time.
Oh no

tanystropheus

If the Pisttacosaurus is 1/35 scale it would probably be part of a diorama (similar to the CollectA Koreaceratops set) or sold as a standalone product like CollectA Pisttacosaurus or Shapeway Pisttacosaurus.  I think it would be best if it is sold as a diorama set.
Alternatively, it could be a part of a different scale, altogether. The Dimorphodon is 1/6 scale.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Takama on June 22, 2015, 12:27:50 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 22, 2015, 12:25:26 AM

Yes i go by the the largest Adults as i think that they would likely go for the largest specimens to replicate.  (Thats what i do for my line, rather or not Rebor does it is up for debate)
There is one species of psittacosaurus that it has been suggested could be as much as nine feet long, and another, the one which Shane sculpted at 1/1 scale would have been an adult and likely fully grown at around three feet, however most seemed to hit the six foot size plateau give or take. My own specimen is 25 inches long and is sub adult. I am guessing if they select a species based on popularity or general public perceptions they would choose P. Mongoliensis, as it is the type specimen, and also the most robust in size. The largest were P. lujiatunensis and P. sibiricus, although neither was significantly larger than P. mongoliensis. So if you work with the size thing much at all, you arrive at the conclusion they would produce one of the three species named however none of these three was potentially one of the three given options possible for the quilled specimen.....interesting. The most common and most often commercially sold and handled species of course is Meilyeingensis, which is what I have apparently. While tons of them have been brought to market and it is generally the species you get when you purchase one...it is also on the smaller side compared to the other three species.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: