News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Also,  There still Lurking

CityRaptor

Yes, I've noticed that, too. If they want to act like they dramatically quit the forum FOREVER111 they should probably log out when lurking here.  ::)
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tanystropheus

You guys are just plain mean  :P j/k *

disclaimer: I said j/k*

indominus rex

Someone just asked Rebor on there Facebook page if the Allosaurus figure is an Saurophagonax and they said it is but they prefer the name Allosaurus Maximus and it'll be released in 2016.

Shadowknight1

Welp.  Between Utahraptor, Acrocanthosaurus, the raptor hatchlings, the teased Mosasaurus, and now Saurophaganax(aka. Allosaurus maximus), Rebor is well on its way to matching Papo in pieces I own.  Now if they'll do a Dilophosaurus and make it blow Papo's rather half-hearted attempt out of the water...
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Arul

Quote from: Takama on June 22, 2015, 12:41:47 AM
Also,  There still Lurking

Haha thats good news, They said on my fb pm "In fact the forum is nice, it's just a few people who held personal grudge toward us from the very beginning"

Takama

Since they said they will no longer state there models as Scientifically accurate(no matter how true that is)   I think people can give them a lot more respect provideing that they respect us and everything on the forum and blog with respect as well.   With them saying they will no longer claim there models to be accurate, we can take them for what they really are, Hollywood Style Dinosaurs. Just like Papo.       

I bet when they make a Spinosaurus, it will be with outdated legs, if that is the case we cant be mad anymore.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on June 22, 2015, 03:31:24 AM
Since they said they will no longer state there models as Scientifically accurate(no matter how true that is)   I think people can give them a lot more respect provideing that they respect us and everything on the forum and blog with respect as well.   With them saying they will no longer claim there models to be accurate, we can take them for what they really are, Hollywood Style Dinosaurs. Just like Papo.       

As much as I would like to agree with your statements, I simply can't. Both Papo (Mr. Seo) and REBOR have expressed a desire to explore scientifically accurate models. And, nobody in their right mind will label the Papo Tupuxuara or Apatosaurus Hollywood-Style Dinosaurs or Movie Monsters. Removing labels gives them the freedom to do whatever they want. If they want more accurate models. More power to them. If they want more awesomebro models. More power to them. If they succeed in combining awesomebro and accurate...even better.

This is the type of oversimplification that I've been trying to address on DTF since day 1.

stargatedalek

Papo's models to not seem to have been becoming more accurate willfully, the executives have simply chosen more accurate muses to base their products on. More power to the sculptor would be nice since he seems to be legitimately wanting to give us accuracy, but who knows how much control he'll get with that feathered velociraptor. Even using an accurate muse Papo can't seem to get accuracy quite right (perhaps so they won't get sued), so I think its still fair to argue their dinosaurs are not deliberately accurate at this time. I'm not saying they are bad, in fact I really do like "sci-fi styled" (this was for those of you who found "awesomebro" to aggressive, maybe this will catch on :P ) dinosaurs (and even modern animals on occasion).

I for one am ecstatic about REBOR's decision, this all I was ever asking from them and I think whatever reluctance they might have had that it was the right decision morally and I give them major kudos for it. Now that that's settled:

-I think that the yutyrannus is very interesting, similarities to the Papo allosaurus or not (even if they did copy it its not like Papo came up with that allosaurus on their own). But I think its base a little plain compared to what we've seen REBOR is capable of. Yutyrannus lived in forest, so it would be really cool to have some snow covered foliage for the winter variation.
-Tyrannosaurus is very impressive, the pose and spines give at a very impressive feel. It could have been far more popular if it didn't necessitate the base but the interchangeable base(s) are definitely a nice idea too.
-Ceratosaurus looks very impressive, but all the armor just isn't my personal cup of tea. The base is amongst the most beautiful I've ever seen.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 22, 2015, 12:24:12 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on June 22, 2015, 12:08:33 AM
Rebor was never "being brutally critiqued for personal design choices". They were "brutally" critiqued for their deceitful advertising.

Tyco used to advertise their dino riders as "Museum Quality Replicas" at 1/24 scale. They were neither Museum Quality Replicas (although, the dinosaurs were later purchased by Smithsonian Museum) nor 1/24 scale (their 'Brontosaurus' is a colossus when compared to their Diplodocus). Tyco was never accused of deceitful advertising, although the products were heavily promoted as being accurate.

Tyco's dinosaurs were absolutely superb and considered very accurate for their time (1987-1990).
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on June 22, 2015, 05:06:49 PM
Rebor was never "being brutally critiqued for personal design choices". They were "brutally" critiqued for their deceitful advertising.

Tyco used to advertise their dino riders as "Museum Quality Replicas" at 1/24 scale. They were neither Museum Quality Replicas (although, the dinosaurs were later purchased by Smithsonian Museum) nor 1/24 scale (their 'Brontosaurus' is a colossus when compared to their Diplodocus). Tyco was never accused of deceitful advertising, although the products were heavily promoted as being accurate.

Tyco's dinosaurs were absolutely superb and considered very accurate for their time (1987-1990).

Agreed, their Struthomimus was even feathered! Or at least one version of it was. Keep in mind though that there were no online dinosaur toy collector communities like this one, if there were I'm sure you would have a few people that would have complained about Tyco.

pylraster

Well, the "awesomebro" crowd isn't really that bad. Minor inaccuracies aside, REBOR's pieces are really fantastic. If only they were less expensive.  I wish them more success. Looking forward to their Acro.

Simon

Quote from: pylraster on June 22, 2015, 08:30:23 PM
Well, the "awesomebro" crowd isn't really that bad. Minor inaccuracies aside, REBOR's pieces are really fantastic. If only they were less expensive.  I wish them more success. Looking forward to their Acro.

I pretty much agree with your comment, except I wouldn't call some of the inaccuracies "minor".  I note from their FB page that (aside from the fact that the rest of the King TRex was pretty much 100% accurate) they are still insisting that the wide head was done on purpose (as opposed to being a sculptor's error).  *Sheesh* 

I am reminded of Pee Wee Herman's classic line "I meant to do that!"  About as convincing, too.

P.S.  The "accuracybro" crowd isn't too bad either!!!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Simon on June 22, 2015, 08:38:23 PM
Quote from: pylraster on June 22, 2015, 08:30:23 PM

I pretty much agree with your comment, except I wouldn't call some of the inaccuracies "minor".  I note from their FB page that (aside from the fact that the rest of the King TRex was pretty much 100% accurate) they are still insisting that the wide head was done on purpose (as opposed to being a sculptor's error).  *Sheesh* 

I am reminded of Pee Wee Herman's classic line "I meant to do that!"  About as convincing, too.

P.S.  The "accuracybro" crowd isn't too bad either!!!

It's all relative. Even the JP head, aside from a few embellishments here and there, isn't all that far off from it's real life counterpart (in the grand scheme of things). People like to say that the JP version is a monster, but they seem to forget that T-rex was monstrous.

I agree with their assessment. The head was done JP style on purpose, because of its iconic familiarity. It isn't a sculptor error - most sculptors are quite educated and intelligent.

While I would like to position myself in the 'accuracybro' group... but from my experience and observations...they don't always seem particularly friendly, pleasant, or welcoming for that matter.

pylraster

I never said the accuracybros were bad. ^_^ Between two equally-detailed figures, I'd choose the more accurate one, but sometimes the accurate ones are really quite blandly executed or painted, like the new Carnegie T.rex. ^_^

To be fair though, I think Rebor needs to acknowledge their mistakes, rather than coming up with these... "reasons".  ;)

tanystropheus

Quote from: pylraster on June 22, 2015, 09:37:30 PM
I never said the accuracybros were bad. ^_^ Between two equally-detailed figures, I'd choose the more accurate one, but sometimes the accurate ones are really quite blandly executed or painted, like the new Carnegie T.rex. ^_^

I have no problem with accuracybro or awesomebro ideologies. The issue I have is that individuals that regard themselves as accuracy proponents tend to hold on to their inaccurate retros dearly; these models are excused because they were accurate eons ago. That's not a consistent framework, imo. There is also an element of brand loyalty (fanboyism?) where CollectA and/or Lindberg loyalists will lump entire dinosaur lines into the 'movie monster' category, out of pure convenience.

tanystropheus

To be fair though, I think Rebor needs to acknowledge their mistakes, rather than coming up with these... "reasons".  ;)

They've acknowledged their mistakes ad nauseam. I remember that even after Dan explained his stance regarding the  Nanshiungosaurus, many forum members continued to be aggressively critical. It is bad business to be forced to talk about your weaknesses (in detail), before even mentioning /revealing your strengths to the public. We can not expect artists to apologize for every step in the design process. We have defensive driving. We have defensive medicine. Now, we have defensive art. Great.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on June 22, 2015, 05:06:49 PM

They were also exceptionally aesthetic. Taxidermy eyes and elegant paint application. As a Dino-Riders fan, I regard Papos as the spiritual successors to Dino-Riders due to their painstaking attention to aesthetics/details.

amargasaurus cazaui

I think something I notice here....The idea of defensiveness and Rebors actions , does bring something into the fore that is perhaps the crux of the problem and why so much has gone down the bad side here. When someone mentioned the lack of feathering on one of Dan's sculpts he gave his reasonings, wether right wrong or indifferent and did his best. What he did not do , was blame Doug Watson, call his work out as horrible etc, and then start a flame internet war on Facebook directed at the forum, because he disagreed with the review his piece was given. He further did not sit and posture that the model was correct but was a transitional stage, and then that it was molting and so on...constantly manufacturing excuses, and easily discarded pretenses for that error. He did not sit and attempt to use the awesomebro movie monster cliche..he did not attempt to state , oh dear the public isnt ready for feathered dinosaurs and I have spent a fortune in research proving it. He did not sit and whine he was barely making any money in his efforts and may have to quit because ..yada yada yada.....you have to honestly look at the history of drama and silliness here . If people seem hostile perhaps yes they get that way after being fed a constant menu of lies, denial and outright idiocy. It wears thin......I have no horse in Rebor's race as seem so far to have released only theropods, but just watching the series of issues, quality control responses, and efforts to do damage control it becomes.....numbing and overwhelming. Someone needs to take the wheel at that company and repair the damage, start honeslty answering for the problems with standing and shipping the models suffer from, attempt to lower the pricing and do a far better job of public relations.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 22, 2015, 09:44:06 PM

I have no problem with accuracybro or awesomebro ideologies. The issue I have is that individuals that regard themselves as accuracy proponents tend to hold on to their inaccurate retros dearly; these models are excused because they were accurate eons ago. That's not a consistent framework, imo. There is also an element of brand loyalty (fanboyism?) where CollectA and/or Lindberg loyalists will lump entire dinosaur lines into the 'movie monster' category, out of pure convenience.

How do you figure? An outdated model that was once accurate cannot be compared to a modern model that is intentionally inaccurate or inaccurate due to laziness. The old models that adhere to the accuracy of the time not only show us what the scientific mindset of the time was but still show a level of care and craftsmanship in the product. Not to mention the nostalgia attached to a lot of these older models. New models that ignore scientific progress offer no insight into our scientific understanding, nor do they provide any nostalgia. So even though I love the tail-dragging Invicta Apatosaurus from decades ago that does not mean I have to love the Schleich Apatosaurus. The former was an honest attempt at a good model, not just a lazily produced toy. And no, I don't consider myself an "accuracybro" (please don't let that term catch on, it makes no sense). When Carnegie released their new T. rex and Papo their running version I ultimately ended up with the Papo, it's a better made model. I'm just saying that I get why collectors focused on accuracy would still collect models that were once accurate but no longer are.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: