News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Wow. I've lost respect for Derek McManus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Thanks for sharing that, Dobber.  I'm really surprised Derek said those things, as he's come across as a nice guy on this forum.  What he said in those Facebook comments, I've never seen happen on this forum.

Quote from: Dobber on March 11, 2017, 12:05:06 PM
But as you say you like to wind up the haters. Why not take a page from your own book and treat people respectfully and not exaggerate or flat out lie about what is being said.

I agree with Dobber.

suspsy

I'd be very interested to see where anyone told him not to buy his kid any Schleich products. I certainly don't  recall any such exchange in the Schleich thread.

CityRaptor

Well, that is interesting to say the least.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 11, 2017, 04:33:27 AM
False alarm guys  ;)

According to REBOR Facebook Page:

Lol oh no we are doing super well right now thanks for asking ;) , it just we can't show you guys any new teases before revealing the official photos of the Crimson King otherwise we'll break our own tradition!

Sigh...some people just wish us nothing but the worst, can't let them win can we

Additionally, the REBOR representative mentioned that the Carnotaurus is "awesomebro to the core". In other words, it is intentional, whether be it for the sake of aesthetics, marketing or some other personal preference.

At least they claim that their dinosaurs are based on movie creatures. That makes me reconcile with Rebor saying that they are "awesomebro to the core" said a lot in their favor. At least they recognize that their figures are not paleontologically accurate.

Which does not mean that I buy them because like Papo I am fascinated by well-made and detailed figures. On the other hand I celebrate that Rebor has adopted a more dialogical and less sour posture with its interlocutors in facebook that says much of them. We can not unfortunately say the same thing about Schleich who continue to maintain his arrogant and arrogant posture.

CityRaptor

That is because Schleich gets away with it. You can buy their figures pretty much everywhere and in many cases there are no rivals on the shelves.
Oh no

Shonisaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 11, 2017, 03:17:12 PM
That is because Schleich gets away with it. You can buy their figures pretty much everywhere and in many cases there are no rivals on the shelves.

That's right Schleich does what he wants. Apart from that their buyers mostly parents with children do not know what some members of this company are really like as we know the members of the forum and if they knew they would mind a damn. It's the sad reality.

Dobber

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 11, 2017, 12:26:58 PM
I don't think it was that bad...
It's just theatrics (it's a bit sensationalist but so is WWE)
I really don't see any reason to get offended by REBOR this time around.

I am still very much puzzled by their so-called release schedule..
whatever happened to the Mosasaurus --I remember REBOR was super excited about making one around the time JW was released. It was supposed to be a priority project (unless, they got it mixed up with the Oddities line wall mount). Also, is winter variant Y-rex still coming out...or the demand for that model is not quite there. Bring out the herbivores!

You and superiorspider are correct, REBOR is not at fault and I removed my reactions at them. I too would like to know if REBOR still plans on the Winter Yutyrannus. I'd REALLY like to see thier Saurophaganax (Allosaurus). I agree with Shadowknight1, that is their strong area, and would like to see more.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

I've never seen anyone from Schleich tell people to "SHUT UP AND !@*# OFF!"

Flaffy

Damn, can't believe Derek said those lies.
And technically we're not talking behind Rebor's back, they have full access to public posts on the forum.
We don't bother posting stuff on their facebook because we know Rebor acts immaturely to criticism from previous experiences. 

CityRaptor

True.

Quote from: suspsy on March 11, 2017, 03:54:47 PM
I've never seen anyone from Schleich tell people to "SHUT UP AND !@*# OFF!"
Probably has to do with the fact that Schleich is a professional company and generally has a family friendly image.
Oh no

The Atroxious

I could have sworn there was a rumor going around that Rebor was getting sued by Universal. I only saw it in one thread, and maybe I misinterpreted what was actually being said, but if I thought I read such a thing as well, I can't so easily write off McManus' claim, or at least acknowledge that said posts were easy enough to misinterpret.

Anyway, I don't think what he said was that bad. I agree with most of it, actually. I do think that people get lured in by the feeling of anonymity and a desire to look knowledgeable to be dramatically negative about things online where they would be more soft-spoken on the issue face to face. Obviously some people are dramatically critical both online and in person, but the percentage seems higher online.

The only part of his post I take issue with is the "wind up the haters...about feathers and pronated wrists" bit. I'm unsure of who he's referring to as haters, but that one sentence seems unnecessarily aggressive. Otherwise, I do think it's kind of sad that we're "losing respect" for someone solely based on differing opinions and likely misinterpreted posts. I sincerely doubt McManus was talking about anyone but a couple of the harsher critics on this forum. I don't think it's any more fair of us to nitpick his words and blow their meaning out of proportion than it was for him to say any of that in the first place.

suspsy

I think Derek McManus' FB posts speak for themselves, all too clearly. No one here claimed outright that Universal was suing Rebor. One person suggested the possibility, then other people chimed in to point out that it was highly unlikely. I know this because I'm one of the people. There's no misinterpreting a situation like that unless one really isn't paying proper attention. So if this is indeed a case of misinterpretation, then I expect Derek to retract his claim and apologize.

As for his open boast that he enjoys stirring up animosities here purely for his personal amusement, well, there's no room for misinterpretation there. I don't like provocateurs and I've lost whatever respect or trust I had for him.

The Atroxious

I mean, fair enough on your second point. I feel that such a statement may have come off more snidely than McManus had intended, but not knowing either way, I concede that stirring up fights isn't the best way to endear oneself to other forum members. Still, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt unless it's been proven on no uncertain terms that they mean to cause you trouble. I can tolerate people being callous and insensitive, and I've even become friends with people like that, so long as they're not outright hateful. During my life I've learned that while some people are toxic and destructive, others are simply difficult and cantankerous, and it's not always easy to tell them apart, though the latter sort doesn't mean any actual harm so much as they just say things in an overly aggressive manner. Without having gotten to know McManus, I can't say what type of person he is, but I'm not going to assume based off a couple Facebook posts that he's the toxic variety straight off the bat.

To be fair, I wasn't paying close attention to the discussion of Universal possibly suing Rebor either. I just think this particular issue deserves a pass because in general, it's not uncommon for people to repeat something they think they heard or read, when in fact they missed some points and are getting some aspects wrong. It's like the concept of the children's game telephone. Things like this happen all the time, such as when people misquote lines from movies or songs. When you're casually conversing with people, you don't usually expect to have a [citation needed] warning you to check your source and get the exact quote.

danmalcolm

I don't post here as often as many, but I'll say this: I value the community on this forum for it's inclusiveness, and the way it's members are (often, if not always) able to disagree with each other while maintaining respectful conversation. I'm not condoning anything that was posted, but to dwell on it, hold grudges, and speak badly of other members is at least as damaging as the posts in question. Remember what this forum is here for. It's nobler to be betrayed than it is to be.mistrustful.

Shonisaurus

My view is that it should give a new opportunity to the managers of Rebor in spite of their bad manners.

Halichoeres

Quote from: danmalcolm on March 12, 2017, 03:05:19 AM
I don't post here as often as many, but I'll say this: I value the community on this forum for it's inclusiveness, and the way it's members are (often, if not always) able to disagree with each other while maintaining respectful conversation. I'm not condoning anything that was posted, but to dwell on it, hold grudges, and speak badly of other members is at least as damaging as the posts in question. Remember what this forum is here for. It's nobler to be betrayed than it is to be.mistrustful.

Well said.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

Apparently Rebor is going to produce these, for scale purposes. Show no mercy guys!

*** picture gone thank to Postimage ***

Takama

I think it was meant to be a joke.     

Simon

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: