News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 30, 2015, 03:52:40 AM
For some people accuracy is important,  and buying a whole figure you don't want for its base might not be worth the price.
Aside from the feet issue, likely for stability as with most big-footed dino figures, from what I can tell, this is a very accurate figure.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 30, 2015, 03:52:40 AM
For some people accuracy is important,  and buying a whole figure you don't want for its base might not be worth the price.

1) We don't know if it accurate or not based on a limited black and white picture of puzzle pieces.
2) According to Dan, it has large feet similar to WS Acro. And, perhaps, accentuated fenestrae that is reminiscent of CollectA theropods
3) If oversized feet are a problem, note that it will at least be on par in accuracy with a good number of WS theropods (and, 'wide-hipped' CollectA).
4) Where are these ultra-accurate dinosaur toys that you speak of?
5) Blade-of-the-Moon, as far as I am aware, is a fan of JP and Papo, and I really doubt accuracy is the underlying concern here. I'm assuming that he is asking for the purpose of dioramas.

REBOR_STUDIO

1. The feet are not big, it's just pointing to the camera, if you can accept feet of Papo Spinosaurus, you can accept these;

2. Again, we do know what an accurate Acrocanthosaurus looks like, however since we are an art/design studio, those "inaccuracy" are purely aesthetic decisions. You can argue that most of the ancient Greek sculptures are inaccurate due to exaggerations on the proportion of human body, but you can't stop the praises and appreciations from millions people to these statues;

3. You have no idea how much efforts we have put into our works, how can anyone compare our creation to cartoonish WS Acrocanthosaurus (we don't even know they had one till now), and CollectA? What a joke;

4. We are getting REAL TIRED of the inaccuracy and poses ripoff comments, that's why we have stopped showing ourselves on this forum. Maybe in the future we will make a super inaccurate awesomebro dinosaur figure, misspell the Latin name on purpose, name it "Awesomebro Maximum", provide a bio card full of pun jokes, and still introduce it as museum accurate dinosaur replica, just to provoke those dinoNazis;

5. We are a private company, seriously, and we are not begging anyone to buy our products, we have no obligation to please those who don't like us, therefore pardon us for being so straightforward but that's pretty much how we feel;

6. The above comments are for a small group of people ONLY, how can you tell? If you felt offended after reading these, congratulation! you are one of them :)

7. To other collectors and our fans, we love you, you are motivations of ours to continue the brand, after being "mistreated" on this forum, we had thoughts of stopping the brand for a while, but no, we will keep going.

Takama

Rebor, I did not mean to start something with people starting to Compare the Your Acro to Safaris. 

I relly like your Ceratoesaurus Utahraptor (I know i said its ugly when you showed the black and white pictures, but videos of the model changed my opinon) and From what is shown of your Acro, i like it as well. But I would love it if you created some more Obscure Dinosaurs in the future. and maybe some smaller Dinos Like Velociraptor and Protoceratops(Maybe have those two in the same set)

Right now i dont own any of your models, but if you consider some smaller creatures and some obscure ones, i might start collecting them

tanystropheus

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 05:43:03 AM

3. You have no idea how much efforts we have put into our works, how can anyone compare our creation to cartoonish WS Acrocanthosaurus (we don't even know they had one till now), and CollectA? What a joke;

REBOR falls in a similar category to Papo and Sideshow and the production values are exceptionally high. However, as far as this forum is concerned, any references to CollectA could be regarded as a compliment of sorts because they seem to be the crowd favorite here. And a large number of fans here seem to believe that CollectA is exponentially superior (in accuracy) to their Papo counterparts (and that Papo are nothing more than movie monsters). However, I personally don't subscribe to that school of thought.

Shadowknight1

1. Well, the Papo Spinosaurus isn't the best comparison since Papo designed it solely on the Jurassic Park 3 monster, but the feet seem okay to me, but I'm not a super-nitpicker.

2. I'm personally not seeing many inaccuracies in "Hercules" so far and the only main embellishment I see are the scutes on the spine.  Again, so far.

3. While I wouldn't call the WS Acro cartoonish(The Carnegie Acro, however, I would describe as cartoonish), CollectA's effort is far from stellar, which astounds me considering how good their feathered T. rex and quadrupedal Spinosaurus are.  CollectA's Acrocanthosaurus suffers from having NO toes and super huge toe claws, as well as having too small of a spine that starts in the wrong place.

4. Honestly, make it look badass enough and I'd still probably buy it, not because I'm part of the "awesomebro" crowd but because it sounds hilarious.

5. Straightforward honesty isn't a bad thing.  I'm looking forward to "Hercules" and seeing what else REBOR has in store.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

7. To other collectors and our fans, we love you, you are motivations of ours to continue the brand, after being "mistreated" on this forum, we had thoughts of stopping the brand for a while, but no, we will keep going.

Don't take any of these silly criticisms to heart. I think REBOR has established a strong presence in the dinosaur market. It is an excellent position to be -somewhere in between Papo and Sideshow in terms of quality and affordability, midway between toy and statue status, also a good balance of art and science, and the REBOR Oddities line might encompass areas that Sideshow overlooked...

A few impressive herbivore models and one or two obscure dinosaurs will bring this line to 'god-tier'...

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 30, 2015, 06:07:42 AM
4. Honestly, make it look badass enough and I'd still probably buy it, not because I'm part of the "awesomebro" crowd but because it sounds hilarious.

Awesomebro is not suppose to be negative, and there is nothing wrong with it, it's called "The common aesthetic choices", most designs of famous brands, from Apple to Marvel, do take the options of the general public seriously. If you think it looks cool, or simply "badass enough", then you have fine taste of art.

Yutyrannus

6. The above comments are for a small group of people ONLY, how can you tell? If you felt offended after reading these, congratulation! you are one of them :)
That is unless you are Doug Watson, whose Acrocanthosaurus sculpt you just called cartoonish.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

2. Again, we do know what an accurate Acrocanthosaurus looks like, however since we are an art/design studio, those "inaccuracy" are purely aesthetic decisions. You can argue that most of the ancient Greek sculptures are inaccurate due to exaggerations on the proportion of human body, but you can't stop the praises and appreciations from millions people to these statues;

That's because they're ancient Greek sculptures. Their people. We know what people look like. But dinosaurs is different. People build their world view on what they see, and when they see an inaccurate dinosaur, they won't tell the difference. Also, being accurate doesn't have to be a bad thing. You can have aesthetic decisions and they can still be accurate. When I draw I will usually have a particular... style (not sure if that's the word) but I make sure I am still trying to be as accurate as possible.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 30, 2015, 06:40:27 AM
That is unless you are Doug Watson, whose Acrocanthosaurus sculpt you just called cartoonish.

Never heard of this guy, guess he is not so talented after all or just being really lazy with his work or just have bad taste of art, unrealistic skill folds and simple "goosebumps"around scales indicate that either he has primitive sculpture skills or simply the company didn't pay him enough to take the job seriously. We have the right to speak because trust us, we KNOW art.

Balaur

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 06:57:23 AM

Never heard of this guy, guess he is not so talented after all or just being really lazy with his work or just have bad taste of art, unrealistic skill folds and simple "goosebumps"around scales indicate that either he has primitive sculpture skills or simply the company didn't pay him enough to take the job seriously. We have the right to speak because trust us, we KNOW art.

Doug Watson is a member of this forum. He actually takes time to make accurate models. What I don't like is that you think you are the best at what you do. (I hate saying selfish) You do a good job, but seriously, this is immature.

John

Rebor,do us all a favor and stick the condescending attitude back up your ass! You talk so much shit about everyone else,so here's something for you.You claim your products are "statues on par with Sideshow Collectibles",when anyone with a working pair of eyes can see that they are TOYS!Overpriced as hell despite being no better than those of Papo,but toys nonetheless,no matter how thick you spread the bullshit about "knowing art".
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Balaur on March 30, 2015, 07:01:26 AM

Doug Watson is a member of this forum. He actually takes time to make accurate models. What I don't like is that you think you are the best at what you do. (I hate saying selfish) You do a good job, but seriously, this is immature.

To be honest anybody can tell that his Acrocanthosaurus sculpture are not even on the same level with ours. We are not the best, we have never said so, however we do love what we do and we always take it quite seriously, it's an attitude.

Balaur

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 07:12:24 AM

To be honest anybody can tell that his Acrocanthosaurus sculpture are not even on the same level with ours. We are not the best, we have never said so, however we do love what we do and we always take it quite seriously, it's an attitude.

Okay. I'm trying really hard to be nice but, I have a question. Are you deaf? How, in anyway, is your "sculpture", better than Doug's? Also, pick another model he sculpted. Elasmosaurus.. my god is that beautiful! I actually would love to see an Elasmosaurus from you guy's. What he was is a style, like yours. So really, stop being a bully saying "ER MER GERRRRDDD!!!! WER DER BERST EVRVERRRRR!!!!" Because when you start to do that, it leads to people hating you. So please, be mature and stop it.

tanystropheus

I think REBOR was just referring to the WS Acro...Moreover, the original topic centered around 'feet size' (WS Acro vs. REBOR Acro), not the quality of the mold or the aesthetics involved. There's clearly a difference in production values for a model that sells for $7-11 and one that sells for $39-79. That kinda goes without saying.

Doug Watson's WS ceratopsians are second to none. He also recently released one of the best Archaeopteryx models in the market.

Okay, I'm going to leave this convo before things get really heated....

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: John on March 30, 2015, 07:10:09 AM

Rebor,do us all a favor and stick the condescending attitude back up your ass! You talk so much shit about everyone else,so here's something for you.You claim your products are "statues on par with Sideshow Collectibles",when anyone with a working pair of eyes can see that they are TOYS!Overpriced as hell despite being no better than those of Papo,but toys nonetheless,no matter how thick you spread the bullshit about "knowing art".

Oops, harsh language detected, moderator needed! :)

Since when we have said that our product are not toys? And what's wrong with toys? By the way Sideshows are toys as well, check their domain:www.sideshowtoy.com 

As for the price, FIY the average cost to ship one box of King T-rex from our factory to UK is 6 Pounds due to the size and weight, plus our molds are way expensive then Papo's, and injection moulding process cost even more. And please remember, the retail price is not what we are getting, if you understand how business works.

The brand was created by the common interests of our team and every member has a different job, we are not even making any money from our products at all, usually we have to feed our own money to to brand to keep it going, so what else can you ask from us?

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Balaur on March 30, 2015, 07:16:47 AM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 07:12:24 AM

Okay. I'm trying really hard to be nice but, I have a question. Are you deaf? How, in anyway, is your "sculpture", better than Doug's? Also, pick another model he sculpted. Elasmosaurus.. my god is that beautiful! I actually would love to see an Elasmosaurus from you guy's. What he was is a style, like yours. So really, stop being a bully saying "ER MER GERRRRDDD!!!! WER DER BERST EVRVERRRRR!!!!" Because when you start to do that, it leads to people hating you. So please, be mature and stop it.

Haters gonna hate anyway, so at this point we really don't care anymore :)

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 07:29:43 AM
Quote from: John on March 30, 2015, 07:10:09 AM

Since when we have said that our product are not toys? And what's wrong with toys? By the way Sideshows are toys as well, check their domain:www.sideshowtoy.com 

As for the price, FIY the average cost to ship one box of King T-rex from our factory to UK is 6 Pounds due to the size and weight, plus our molds are way expensive then Papo's, and injection moulding process cost even more. And please remember, the retail price is not what we are getting, if you understand how business works.

The brand was created by the common interests of our team and every member has a different job, we are not even making any money from our products at all, usually we have to feed our own money to to brand to keep it going, so what else can you ask from us?

Balaur

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 07:29:43 AM

Oh, and you insulting another member of the forum won't get you in trouble.   >:( Also, no need to tell the moderator to do their job. They know what to do you thank you very much!

Also, you don't seem to handle criticism well. CollectA handles criticism extremely well, and do they go ahead and insult other people's models? Let me check.... oh... my god. They don't! I think you would be more successful if you could handle the criticism and maybe improve your models.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: