News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

After all thats happened, i feel sorry for suggesting to Rebor that they show off there products here in the first place

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on March 30, 2015, 07:02:26 PM
After all thats happened, i feel sorry for suggesting to Rebor that they show off there products here in the first place

There's no reason at all to feel that way. They are a company and inviting them to partake in the forum was a good idea at the time.  Lord knows I've made similar mistakes, even recently. Inviting members that I thought would benefit from being here but in the end it didn't work out.

DinoLord

Yeah don't be sorry. The dinosaur collecting community is a relatively small one, so of course it's exciting when new players enter the field. It's unfortunate that things ended up working out this way; they could've been a great contributor to the forum and community as a whole.

suspsy

REBOR clearly has amazing talent, no question about it. What they (and by "they," I really mean the one representative who was posting here) aren't good at is taking criticism, which is understandable to a point. Nobody likes seeing their hard work being picked apart, after all. But they appeared to take nearly every constructive comment as a personal affront, which is never helpful when you're trying to promote your company among potential customers. And their tendency to disparage other artists was even worse. What good did it ever do them?

If they do indeed return here after the ban is lifted, I hope they'll have learned how to conduct themselves better. Or select a different person to speak for them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 30, 2015, 06:39:49 PM
Quote from: Simon on March 30, 2015, 05:08:34 PM
From the very beginning the real problem with this company on this board has not really been in the pieces that they sculpt - variation in accuracy and quality exist in all toy and figure lines - it has been in the way that they have chosen to market and advertise their wares.

We all have opinions, some like or don't like something. I liked the Ceratosaurus quite a bit myself. I felt the foot I could see in the Acro pic was a bit large.

The REBOR Facebook page has a picture of the other foot, as well. It seems smaller with both feet displayed and comparable to the Papo Spino as REBOR stated earlier. It is still slightly large, but not as exaggerated as the original picture seemed to suggest.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on March 30, 2015, 08:02:43 PM
If they do indeed return here after the ban is lifted, I hope they'll have learned how to conduct themselves better. Or select a different person to speak for them.

Considering how they handle criticism, I doubt that they will return after the ban. The ban, in and of itself, may have been registered at a personal level. I have a feeling that the only way that we will have access to the latest REBOR news is straight from their FB and Instagram pages. I'm surprised that they don't have a company page or blog (I guess, in a way, the FB page is the blog).

stargatedalek

I feel like I was the one who started this, so please excuse my bringing it up again.

When I said that for some people accuracy was more important than for others I was only hoping to help answer the question as to why someone would only want to purchase the base. To be entirely honest I completely expected tanystropheus to jump on me and accuse me of being a CollectA fanatic yet again (I own three CollectA man, that's less Papo than I own, just stop it its not cool), but I didn't expect *REBOR themselves to appear. I definitely didn't expect REBOR to go on some sort of crusade like they did, and I do apologize to everyone else who they managed to drag into this, of which I do feel partially responsible for. I'd also like to give an apology to Doug Watson in particular, REBOR should not have said what they did about you and your work. I would like to make no direct comment about the banning of REBOR.

*REBOR as in the user, not the company per-se

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 30, 2015, 09:12:05 PM

When I said that for some people accuracy was more important than for others I was only hoping to help answer the question as to why someone would only want to purchase the base.

I wouldn't say that there any major issues concerning the accuracy of REBOR models (compare, RBR Utahraptor with Carnegie Velociraptor...both models have minor problems). However, there is a logic fail in your assumption. If we were to assume that the REBOR Acro is inaccurate, then there is reason to assume that the REBOR base is also inaccurate. The REBOR base is expected to have an embedded REBOR dinosaur, namely, a REBOR Tenontosaurus. Why would someone want to purchase the base separately? Probably, for the purpose of building dioramas or perhaps, the Acro is expensive and they would rather have the base for another dinosaur model. Taking all things into consideration, I don't see accuracy as being the primary reason for someone wanting to purchase a base separately.

stargatedalek

True enough mate ;)

To be honest I actually rather like the REBOR acrocanthosaurus, accuracy is fine and good but I like what I like when it comes down to it.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 30, 2015, 06:39:49 PM
Quote from: Simon on March 30, 2015, 05:08:34 PM
From the very beginning the real problem with this company on this board has not really been in the pieces that they sculpt - variation in accuracy and quality exist in all toy and figure lines - it has been in the way that they have chosen to market and advertise their wares.

For me, I think you hit the nail on the head. The marketing and advertising has been the root cause of many a  concern.  The products themselves are each commented on individually as we would any other manufacturer's wares.

We all have opinions, some like or don't like something. I liked the Ceratosaurus quite a bit myself. I felt the foot I could see in the Acro pic was a bit large.
My thoughts exactly, especially the "museum quality" label is what I believe caused so much controversy, not to mention the way they constantly insult other companies (Papo, Safari, Collecta). I know the latter is certainly what discouraged me from ever buying their products (I was planning on buying their Ceratosaurus eventually, but for this reason I definitely won't now).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

Never gotten too far into these discussions with REBOR myself, I seldom purchase theropods and for me at least they seemed rather higher priced and look alot like Papo figures to my own tastes. The one non theropod I had seen was Jolly which is a hatchling and for my money was just a bit too....cutesy.
   One thing to remember Takama, you set out to do a nice thing. In the end they behaved poorly and did not respect a favor you did for them. That does not reflect badly on you, it speaks for them. If anyone should feel badly, there it is. You did a nice thing.....
   On a side note, I got the feeling the REBOR name was responding from a few people and not just one. One of them seemed the same as another name that got banned and the responses seemed to be female, whereas the other responder felt male. Just a hunch I had, but I felt there were two of them, a man and a woman for what its worth. The response styles, word and sentence structure, it all seemed different sometimes.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Yutyrannus

No reason to feel sorry, everything that has happened with REBOR was definitely not your fault. Plus you had good intentions and you had no way of knowing what would result from that.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Takama

Thing is, i suggested they come here in the middle of a topic on another forum, and it was STS. It seems that they were a more  friendlier community (no offense to anyone), and they chose to show there wares there first and foremost, and i thought, "Hey, i bet some members of the DTF would love it"  This was back when they first reviled there Yutyrannus, which was under featherd.

Of course I dont think i will be buying any of there products, due to space constraints and a Nagging Mom ::).

Saurian

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 30, 2015, 10:58:44 PM
Never gotten too far into these discussions with REBOR myself, I seldom purchase theropods and for me at least they seemed rather higher priced and look alot like Papo figures to my own tastes. The one non theropod I had seen was Jolly which is a hatchling and for my money was just a bit too....cutesy.
   One thing to remember Takama, you set out to do a nice thing. In the end they behaved poorly and did not respect a favor you did for them. That does not reflect badly on you, it speaks for them. If anyone should feel badly, there it is. You did a nice thing.....
   On a side note, I got the feeling the REBOR name was responding from a few people and not just one. One of them seemed the same as another name that got banned and the responses seemed to be female, whereas the other responder felt male. Just a hunch I had, but I felt there were two of them, a man and a woman for what its worth. The response styles, word and sentence structure, it all seemed different sometimes.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3073.0
Soory,my English is poor

tanystropheus

Quote from: Saurian on March 30, 2015, 11:28:56 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 30, 2015, 10:58:44 PM

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3073.0

Who is petebuster1? Judging from the photo bucket page, he does seem to have a huge collection of extant animal toys from Safari Ltd. (or is it Schleich?).

Takama

HE was a member who got banned for Rudeness. It almost seemed like he was sent by Rebor as he aggressively tried to defend them with his rudeness.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Takama on March 30, 2015, 11:26:00 PM
Of course I dont think i will be buying any of there products, due to space constraints and a Nagging Mom ::).
That's the only reason I'm not getting Ceratosaurus.  I'm limiting myself to dinosaurs that are personal favorites, including Utahraptor and Acrocanthosaurus.

While I don't agree with their overcriticism of Doug's Acrocanthosaurus sculpt, which I own and LOVE, I can understand their stance on people constantly getting on their case.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

TJ_Terrorsaur

I have to say that Rebor is now my favorite dinosaur figure company. I can't afford (nor do I have the space) for Sideshows models, and Rebor's are just as nice and more affordable. So I'm probably going to be shelling out my money to Rebor when I can. Will I buy everything they come out with...maybe. I'm really excited to see the Acro in all his glory as well as the base everyone's been talking about.
I'm also itchy to see this "Winter Y-Rex" I've been reading about.  ;D

Arul

Rebor i hope you come back after this banned period :) Next time please forget/ignore the haters (some people who cant give a constructive critic) because actually there is lot of member that love you here..

Sim

I was shocked by how rude some posts in the Rebor Yutyrannus thread were, and how badly Rebor was treated.  That seemed to stop some time last year, after moderators took action.  Not long after that though, the opposite has happened - some members started being rude to others while expressing their support for Rebor, and then to my surprise Rebor also started being rude in some of their posts.  It seems like retaliation for something that had been dealt with.

Personally, I'm interested in prehistoric animal reconstructions that look like a real animal that once lived, with good accuracy, based on what is know of it.  I greatly value research and knowledge that's put into a reconstruction.  It's for these reasons I really like the figures Doug Watson and Dan LoRusso are bringing us.  I have no interest in reconstructions where people alter an animal's physical appearance from what is known of it because they don't really care about it being accurate and/or to try to make it more appealing (I don't think a deliberately altered reconstruction is ever more appealing than the real animal).  That's why I have no interest in the prehistoric figures that have been made by Papo, Schleich, and Rebor too I've realised.  It seems there are people who like them for what they are, which is fair enough.  Calling/implying they are highly accurate representations of prehistoric animals when they're not though is likely to justly result in people pointing out this isn't correct.

I hope that now things can move on and Rebor discussions can be without rudeness.  After all, something has to end before something new can begin!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: