News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Guess for me its rather simple...when Rebor apologizes to Doug for their comments I will be open to reviewing new offerings for potential purchase, till then thats where it stands with me. Nuff said...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Paleogene Pals

Sorry, when Rebor attacked Doug Watson, that is it for me. You guys lost me forever with your unprofessional attitude. Grow up and come back on this forum when you are adults.  >:(

CityRaptor

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 31, 2015, 01:11:42 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on March 31, 2015, 12:54:45 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on March 31, 2015, 12:23:14 PM
Rebor doesn't cost so much ( less than 100 euro ), it's accurate (for a TOY), paint job is very good, model's postures are spectacular, etc...

One could argue about the accurateness.

No point arguing over accurateness, unless they have at least a handful of models released in the market. Sample size is too small. Let's wait till the Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, winter variant Y-rex are released before passing judgement on a company that is still in its infancy stage. If we were this harsh on Carnegie and Battat when they released their first 3 models, they would never see the light of day....

The "Y-rex" was made inaccurate on purpose. They said so themselves.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Raptoress

I'm looking forward to seeing the final look for the Acrocanthosaurus. Very excited. Just hope I'll be able to afford it because I'm broke, lol. If it's less than the T. rex I probably will be able to. :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 31, 2015, 01:39:36 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 31, 2015, 01:11:42 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on March 31, 2015, 12:54:45 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on March 31, 2015, 12:23:14 PM
Rebor doesn't cost so much ( less than 100 euro ), it's accurate (for a TOY), paint job is very good, model's postures are spectacular, etc...

One could argue about the accurateness.

No point arguing over accurateness, unless they have at least a handful of models released in the market. Sample size is too small. Let's wait till the Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, winter variant Y-rex are released before passing judgement on a company that is still in its infancy stage. If we were this harsh on Carnegie and Battat when they released their first 3 models, they would never see the light of day....

The "Y-rex" was made inaccurate on purpose. They said so themselves.

Yes, they did. However, REBOR also said that they are preparing a winter variant, accurate Y-rex. We still don't know what direction REBOR is going overall, especially when you take into consideration the 'Club Selection' and 'Oddities' lines. It is best to wait and see before we prematurely judge the range of their dinosaur portfolio. Perhaps, they will make something for everyone. They've only released 3 core models. They are planning on releasing 22 products. So what happens if the majority of the 22 products end up being reasonably accurate?

Patrx

The Acro looks comparatively nice. However, like many have said, I currently don't plan on purchasing any REBOR products after the behavior we saw here. Everyone has their own approach to art, even palaeoart. But to outright mock, insult, and belittle the efforts of other artists with different styles and priorities? That's not something that sits well with me. Besides, no matter how rude someone is to you, the option (and indeed the responsibility) remains to be polite in return.

Regardless, I would be glad to see their work continue to improve. I've said many times that there's a lot of talent there!

Shonisaurus

The figure of Acrocanthosaurus is exceptional, is even better than the ceratosaurus of the same brand.
Moreover anyone know when these two dinosaurs will be marketed in online stores?

Gwangi

Quote from: Patrx on March 31, 2015, 04:02:22 PM
The Acro looks comparatively nice. However, like many have said, I currently don't plan on purchasing any REBOR products after the behavior we saw here. Everyone has their own approach to art, even palaeoart. But to outright mock, insult, and belittle the efforts of other artists with different styles and priorities? That's not something that sits well with me. Besides, no matter how rude someone is to you, the option (and indeed the responsibility) remains to be polite in return.

Regardless, I would be glad to see their work continue to improve. I've said many times that there's a lot of talent there!

I agree with this. I had intended on purchasing the Ceratosaurus but after what I've seen here in the last couple of days, I no longer intend to. Just looking at their products leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Some might argue that the company should not be faulted for the actions of one but whoever that one is it's the person they chose to be their voice here. Unless they get rid of him/her and appoint another online PR person that apologizes for the actions of their predecessor than they won't see any of my money. So far Rebor has proven themselves arrogant, immature, petty and classless. They aren't here to be a part of the community, they're here to sell their product but their tactics are downright disgusting. Not only in the way they slander other companies and sculptors but in how they brutally attack anyone who criticizes their product. Companies shouldn't treat customers this way.

I am sickened by what has been said about Doug Watson. Doug is a real person, with real passion who I've increasingly enjoyed corresponding with. I'm honored to have his work on my shelves. Dan LoRusso is a veteran sculptor, again...with real passion who despite his health issues still does what he loves. These people make me want their products simply by being real people, and members of the community. They are not a faceless company here to sell a product, they are here because they have the same passion we collectors do. I don't think this is a place that should cater to companies like Rebor just because they're a big name on the forum. If they want to act like childish bullies, I would sooner rather see them gone for good. Hopefully the company catches wind of this and does something about it and with the person they've chosen to be their voice. Until I see an apology, I'm one more customer they won't have.

Some food for thought. When I started up the Top 10 T. rex toy poll, Rebor was originally included. In looking at the votes, the only model Rebor voted for was their own. In a list assembled by the members here, Rebor couldn't even acknowledge the other great models on that list. They're petty enough and arrogant enough that they only wanted to boost the votes for their product, for a top 10 YouTube video of all things! Classy Rebor, real classy. They say they're passionate just like us, they're not. It's complete BS.

joossa

EDIT: Sounds like their base for the Acro will look something like the below based on their description:
Moreover, a collectible rock base comes along with Hercules, and the best part is, a removable realistic Tenontosaurus remains (head to chest with a front limb)will be included as accessories, think about the image of a lion bites a gazelle's neck and leave it hangs just like that...that's how it's going to be and gosh it will be GORE! And of course you can also put it inside other dinosaurs' mouths, or simply use it to build your diorama, consider Hercules is a deluxe figure set from REBOR!

Having the Acro's base look something like this would be satisfying:

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Dinomike

Wow, Joossa! That's gory! I admit, it would be cool though!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

tanystropheus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 31, 2015, 01:20:12 PM
Guess for me its rather simple...when Rebor apologizes to Doug for their comments I will be open to reviewing new offerings for potential purchase, till then thats where it stands with me. Nuff said...

Perhaps, when the ban is lifted on April 31, REBOR will apologize to Doug Watson. It seems like the only proper action at this point. I have a feeling that REBOR was not familiar with Doug's work as they stated that they never heard of the WS Acro until now. I find most of REBOR's antics entertaining but they definitely crossed the line when they insulted a fellow artist, intentional or not. However, I do not want to see the entire company suffer because of the statements of one representative.

Zelan

I would like to see what their non-theropods look like. I like their level of detail but so far the style they are going for strikes me more as movie monsters rather than real animals. That's fine but it's not really what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure if I want to buy anything of theirs either after everything they've said. They seem to care absolutely nothing about anything besides their own vastly inflated opinion of themselves. I thought it was rather telling that they didn't even know about the safari Acro. Wouldn't the first thing to do is to check out what's already out on the market and learn from them? Unless you are so arrogant to think your product is automatically the best. It was really appalling that they had to insult Doug Watson on top of everything else too. I really hope everything said so far only reflects REBOR's rep and not the company as a whole.

Gwangi

It was not just his Acro they insulted, but the recent Elasmosaurus too (a stellar model). A figure that was not only sculpted by Doug, but one that our own admin has a hand in collaborating in.

Shonisaurus

Honestly is not gore as stated even by members of the forum's corpse Tenontosaurus simply reflects the reality of nature, is the same as when we see a mangled corpse mutilated zebra or giraffe, is pure and simple nature.

Apart from this is an exceptional figure, penalty that take both trade this figure).

laticauda

Wow, did I miss out on this thread lately.  I'll keep my comment simple and plain. 

Art is in the eye of the beholder.  Paleo art is one of the most fun to make, since there is an opportunity to make something out of fragmented material.  Some artist go for the most accurate route, some go the 80's action hero style, and some don't care as long as they make money.  Which ever way the artist or company decide to go, some people will like it, some will not.  As to the conduct of the people involved, I almost can't believe what I read, but I remind myself, there are many different people in the world, and you don't have to like them all.  Should I still buy their product?   I am not quite ready to boycott them, just for being ignorant in their attitudes and comments.  Time will tell, but for now, I will  judge them for the work they do and the price they are selling it at.   

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Zelan on March 31, 2015, 09:51:37 PM
I would like to see what their non-theropods look like. I like their level of detail but so far the style they are going for strikes me more as movie monsters rather than real animals. That's fine but it's not really what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure if I want to buy anything of theirs either after everything they've said. They seem to care absolutely nothing about anything besides their own vastly inflated opinion of themselves. I thought it was rather telling that they didn't even know about the safari Acro. Wouldn't the first thing to do is to check out what's already out on the market and learn from them? Unless you are so arrogant to think your product is automatically the best. It was really appalling that they had to insult Doug Watson on top of everything else too. I really hope everything said so far only reflects REBOR's rep and not the company as a whole.

This is the problem as I said before. The fact their chosen representative chose to respond in this fashion does reflect on their company as a whole. When you are spokesman for a company, everything you say and do reflects on your company. Companies all respond to criticism differently, some go on the offensive and attack, insult and belittle others apparently, some issue flat denials that lack effort, and still others give a solid response filled with information to help and guide their customers in the choices they make. It is really not acceptable to attack and belittle established artists and their works especially here within this forum where by example Doug Watson has made an effort to share with, help, and inform this community. He has been productive, useful, insightful and always willing to offer a hand if he can. When you compare that to the responses given by this company it becomes crystal clear.In short, the class acts here...Dan Larosso and Doug Watson, as well as others, set the bar higher than this.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tanystropheus

Quote from: laticauda on March 31, 2015, 10:34:02 PM

Should I still buy their product?   I am not quite ready to boycott them, just for being ignorant in their attitudes and comments.  Time will tell, but for now, I will  judge them for the work they do and the price they are selling it at.   

The idea of anthropomorphizing an entire company for the acts of one representative seems strange to me on a philosophical level. Companies are more than the sum of its parts. I frequent other forums as well, and I've noticed one or two individuals attempting to boycott company x for the actions of select developer(s)...because they were either being cocky or condescending. Boycotts generally hurt the consumer more than the company, product or service that it is intended for. Why would I (intentionally) deprive myself of the pleasures of life? That is like me punishing myself twice, once for the stated opposition and again for the direct impact it has on my personal development ; it is a restriction akin to a self-imposed ban. I also judge the work based on its intrinsic value.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 31, 2015, 10:56:41 PM

Should I still buy their product?   I am not quite ready to boycott them, just for being ignorant in their attitudes and comments.  Time will tell, but for now, I will  judge them for the work they do and the price they are selling it at.   

Why would I (intentionally) deprive myself of the pleasures of life?

You've never made a personal sacrifice as a matter of principle? Boycott is the only action available to consumers who disapprove of means and methods.

DinoLord

Yeah, consumers in any market have the power of voting with their wallets. And with all the great artists and companies out there that are active in the community and demonstrate an interest in our opinions, there are plenty of other chances to lighten your wallets.

tanystropheus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 01, 2015, 12:10:24 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 31, 2015, 10:56:41 PM

Why would I (intentionally) deprive myself of the pleasures of life?

You've never made a personal sacrifice as a matter of principle? Boycott is the only action available to consumers who disapprove of means and methods.

I have but I question it's effect (utility). I doubt that boycotts are instrumental in influencing a corporation's means/methods, especially in the grand scheme of things. If a boycott can redirect a company in a manner that is conducive for self-reflection and self-assessment (with respect to presiding policies), I'm all for it. Some individuals here have attempted to 'boycott' Schleich for their marketing tactics, but it has had a negligible effect. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: