News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 18, 2020, 10:36:44 AM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 18, 2020, 08:57:29 AM
Quote from: Narutoceratops on June 17, 2020, 05:35:51 PM
And 20$ looks like a bargain. I don't know how can they make profit with that  ???

We can't and that's OK because the GNG line is our gift to fans ;)

By the way, did you know that there are already bootlegs of your Vanilla Ice?

Seems fitting, given that the figure itself was drafting off someone else's intellectual property.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Just got and email from BBTS, the Titanoboa has arrived. I'm really excited, even if it's just a big rubbery snake.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 18, 2020, 05:07:20 PM
And 20$ looks like a bargain. I don't know how can they make profit with that  ???

Seems fitting, given that the figure itself was drafting off someone else's intellectual property.
Perhaps a bit off topic but I don't take issue with things like this the same way I do with JP clones. This is a design that is both generic and unused.

The "V. rex" isn't inherently recognizable or distinct like for example the Jurassic Park Dilophosaurus is. It's just a crocodile-y scaled Tyrannosaurus with particularly nasty teeth, something done many times before and since. Scutes and jagged teeth on theropods are very widely used tropes and nothing about the V. rex is inherently originating for this overall design. Frankly it's barely recognizable as distinct among scuted Tyrannosaurus from the likes of Primal Carnage, ARK, and The Isle.

And it's an oft forgotten and stowed away piece of a large IP that has essentially zero chance of receiving licensed merchandise or appearing in future productions.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 18, 2020, 11:01:54 AM

Which is why we are now making things they either can't knockoff or simply don't understand what they are

Will we see the smilodon this year or the next?

Faelrin

My Titanoboa is ready to ship out now from BBTS. I'm excited. Edit: Three years of waiting to have this one in my hands to be done with soon, and one of my favorite prehistoric Cenozoic animals at that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Smilodon P.

Apparently, the idea of ​​producing the two crocodyliforms has not been canceled, only postponed:

"Meet REBOR Club Selection: Meta the Hatchling Deinosuchus! We know that many of you are still waiting for REBOR 1:35 adult Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus and we've already prepared 80% of the funds but we still need the rest 20% to be able to launch them so here's the plan: baby Meta serves as a fundraising soft kickstarter, buy it to unlock super affordable REBOR GNG 1:35 Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus for everyone - yes this time you can actually choose to help us out and forever be parts of the Meta and Lica projects! Who's with us?"

Bread

The detail on that hatchling looks amazing. Always loved the amount of detail put into Rebor's figures.
However, I wish this hatchling was not in so much of a roaring pose. Still, I may purchase this little guy to help support them for their future products, such as that GNG Deinosuchus :o

SenSx

Quote from: Smilodon P. on June 21, 2020, 03:47:14 PM
Apparently, the idea of ​​producing the two crocodyliforms has not been canceled, only postponed:

"Meet REBOR Club Selection: Meta the Hatchling Deinosuchus! We know that many of you are still waiting for REBOR 1:35 adult Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus and we've already prepared 80% of the funds but we still need the rest 20% to be able to launch them so here's the plan: baby Meta serves as a fundraising soft kickstarter, buy it to unlock super affordable REBOR GNG 1:35 Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus for everyone - yes this time you can actually choose to help us out and forever be parts of the Meta and Lica projects! Who's with us?"

Wow is that for real ?
I thought they were cancelled for good !

I love hatchlings, but it is going to be big and not in scale with the proper 1:35 Deinosuchus isn't it ?
Ok Rebor I'm in, that will make a nice decoration on my desk.
I'll even buy the Acrocanthosaurus now too  :D

If the new 1:35 Deinosuchus and Sarchosuchus really become a thing, I wonder how different they'll look like from the prototype as part of the GnG line now.
That seems to means no articulated mouth, something I really love, but at that point I don't care anymore as long as we get those figures.

Faelrin

So my REBOR Titanoboa arrived today. I could not hesitate (whilst being as careful as possible) to get a look at this and have it in hand after so long.

So the few downsides out of the way first. In order to get the snake out of the plastic sleeve it's in, one must pull it out tail tip first (which feels very loose). The head was wrapped in this really tight plastic wrap that gave me a bit of frustration in getting it off all the while trying to be as delicate as possible about as to not cause any damage to it right off the bat. Due to the rubbery material the snake is made out of, it picked up a little bit of dust and cat hair from off the bed, as I was attempting to get the plastic wrap off the head. I did delicately brush it off, and pick off whatever got on it, but this is definitely not something coming out of the plastic sleeve again unless I can have it in a sealed display case, because even with frequent dusting that stuff accumulates pretty fast as a consequence of having cats, and in my room, etc at times.

So with all that out of the way I got some pictures of this glorious snake (and croc).

First the croc though (which is beautifully painted and sculpted):

The underside also has lots of detail, and one can make out the seam line, as well as a production?/copyright date of 2018. Definitely a fun little addition, and the bonus is that it looks like it could be a living swimming croc, despite the intention of it being offered as a prey item for the snake.

Moving on to the Titanboa itself, I had to get my (US Imperial) yardstick just to give everyone an idea of how long this thing is (when mostly straightened out).

Some close up's of the head. Considering how tiny the eyes are painted (like pinpricks), I'm not really surprised there are no pupils painted on them. In fact I'm honestly amazed this has painted eyes to begin with. I could hardly find them as it was with how tiny they were.

I think this is an excellent addition to anyone's collection, that enjoys prehistoric reptiles, or prehistoric Cenozoic animals in general, and particularly prehistoric Cenozoic reptiles, of which there are very few figures of overall. Now my only wish is that some company would produce a figure of Carbonemys, which was a giant turtle that shared the same habitat as Titanboa once did.

KeU

Congrats.
Both Titanoboa and croc look great.
Is there an articulated jaw on the croc?

Faelrin

avatar_KeU @KeU No, no articulated jaw on the croc, though there is one on the Titanoboa (although I likely won't be messing with it, after Flaffy's advice with it).

SenSx

Thank you for your feedback, and Flaffy too.
I'll still probably open the mouth.
Mine should be shipped soon.

Also the beautifully sculpted and painted croc makes me confident in the quality 1:35 Deinosuchus and Sarchosuchus could have.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: SenSx on June 21, 2020, 07:05:42 PM
Wow is that for real ?

I love hatchlings, but it is going to be big and not in scale with the proper 1:35 Deinosuchus isn't it ?

If the new 1:35 Deinosuchus and Sarchosuchus really become a thing, I wonder how different they'll look like from the prototype as part of the GnG line now.
That seems to means no articulated mouth, something I really love, but at that point I don't care anymore as long as we get those figures.
As someone who owns it, I love it.  He's not the easiest to stand, but he's such a big brute of a dinosaur, and reasonably accurate compared to some of the others in the line.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

SenSx

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 23, 2020, 01:06:40 AM
Quote from: SenSx on June 21, 2020, 07:05:42 PM
Wow is that for real ?

As someone who owns it, I love it.  He's not the easiest to stand, but he's such a big brute of a dinosaur, and reasonably accurate compared to some of the others in the line.

It's the best Acrocanthosaurus on the market imo, the Papo one has a nice sculpt but the pose is ruining it.
I'm just worried about making him stand, I heard some Rebor Acro are flawed and just can't, and some others just don't have that issue.
I haven't been really lucky with Rebor figures lately, given how poor their quality control is...
But at least I can fix that witht he Acro, I'll just make holes in the legs and fix them on the base with rods as someone suggested on the Acro thread.
I still don't understand the point of making a base if it does not help the figure to stand  ???

Bread

Quote from: Faelrin on June 22, 2020, 09:00:55 PM
avatar_KeU @KeU No, no articulated jaw on the croc, though there is one on the Titanoboa (although I likely won't be messing with it, after Flaffy's advice with it).

Besides the possibility of the jaw not being able to fully close after being opened, does the rubber seem to be tear able? As if it can peal off over time?
That's the one thing I am worried about when purchasing this product.

Faelrin

avatar_Bread @Bread I would perhaps look up some of the reviews on the Hot Toys figures that seem to use a similar material as these (or some of the links with advice I linked earlier: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3099.msg259488#msg259488 ). I would certainly be weary of the tip of the tail because of how flimsy it feels (where there is no wire inside). That's probably the most likely spot for cracking/tearing (or worse ripping off) if I had to guess.

The short of it is it probably can degrade quicker depending on the environment it is kept in, and how much use it gets though. The tails on my Beasts of the Mesozoic raptors as an example, have managed to hold up relatively well since I got them in 2018. I keep them in a darker and cooler part of my room (farthest away from my window which also has blinds down 24/7), and have minimally handled/posed the tails. Granted my room may not be the best environment for something of this nature, as it can get quite humid and hot during the summers (even with ac set to 69°F and a fan in my room on), because of where I live (central/lower PA) in addition to having 2 (tropical temp) aquariums in there (and as one can expect evaporates quite a bit in the summer), so let's hope they (including "Monty" here) last as long as they can with those circumstances.

I cannot see myself messing with this one much at all, due to the fragile and extremely limited nature of it. I may reposition it when I ever get around to getting that bookcase I've constantly put off, but likely very little thereafter. Granted I seldomly handle my other figures (that are not from Mattel) as it is, and gently when I need to, just to keep them in the best shape possible from potential paint wear and tear.

Bread

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Thank you for information, much appreciated. I forgot who else mentioned the lack of wire on the end of the tail. Regardless, due to this information provided, I may just have to pass or just wait to see how this figure is holding up for others. I am also one of those who likes to put their figures in different poses (if that figure is pose-able of course) over time. This figure does look impressive for the amount of detail it has though, sadly that rubber has me worried.

Martwad

avatar_Bread @Bread, from what I understand, whether to acquire this figure or not may not be a decision you will be able to make.  Unless you want to pay an ungodly price from someone that picked up a second one, and is willing to sell it, the preorders were the last of them.  I don't see Rebor making any more, since they lost money on this batch.

Flaffy

Ever since I've gotten the Titanoboa. I've simply taken it out of it's plastic bag (to let the rubber "breathe"), straightened it out (to prevent stress points in the rubber) and left it in a glass cabinet.

Like Faelrin, I too am concerned over the the fragility of the figure. The tip of the tail feels like it could be easily torn off (I foresee quite a few copies of the snake will have chewed, mangled tails courtesy of curious pets). I would not recommend keeping the snake in it's packaging. The figure feels susceptible to becoming very, very sticky if left in unideal environmental conditions.

This experimental figure is definitely more of a display piece rather than something that can hold up to constant handling. But do I regret getting it? Absolutely not, it's still a fantastic figure in it's own right. And the first prehistoric snake figure to ever be produced to my knowledge.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on June 22, 2020, 08:07:12 PM
I think this is an excellent addition to anyone's collection, that enjoys prehistoric reptiles, or prehistoric Cenozoic animals in general, and particularly prehistoric Cenozoic reptiles, of which there are very few figures of overall. Now my only wish is that some company would produce a figure of Carbonemys, which was a giant turtle that shared the same habitat as Titanboa once did.

With Rebor's upcoming "Lonesome George" tortoise figure, I think they can produce a fantastic Carbonemys or Stupendemys.
Will definitely be keeping an eye out for Rebor's non-dinosaur offerings.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: