News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 05, 2015, 07:26:29 PM
...in your opinion, and Emily Willoughby's. But it isn't a fact, it's a piece of palaeoart with artistic licence, just like Rebor's models. Nobody knows what Utahraptor really looked like, so I find your statement aggravating and I'm essentially in agreement with you. I can only imagine how it feels to those who positively disagree but I'm sure those members can be trusted to take your bold statement with the pinch of salt it deserves.
I didn't mean that's exactly what it looked like, I meant that's the correct proportions and skull shape.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

stargatedalek

I agree with Yutyrannus but I think he could have worded that a bit more clearly is all.

As for people with no vested interest in REBOR checking the topics, sometimes people are just curious.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 05, 2015, 09:19:36 PM
I agree with Yutyrannus but I think he could have worded that a bit more clearly is all.

As for people with no vested interest in REBOR checking the topics, sometimes people are just curious.
Yeah, I agree I should have worded it more clearly :-[

Very true, I know that's the case with myself.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Yutyrannus on April 05, 2015, 09:09:53 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 05, 2015, 07:26:29 PM
...in your opinion, and Emily Willoughby's. But it isn't a fact, it's a piece of palaeoart with artistic licence, just like Rebor's models. Nobody knows what Utahraptor really looked like, so I find your statement aggravating and I'm essentially in agreement with you. I can only imagine how it feels to those who positively disagree but I'm sure those members can be trusted to take your bold statement with the pinch of salt it deserves.
I didn't mean that's exactly what it looked like, I meant that's the correct proportions and skull shape.

Okay, the top of the skull of REBOR's Utahraptor seems pretty darn close to that, but the lower jaw and the overall proportions of that Utahraptor are supposedly from new finds.  Finds that were discovered AFTER REBOR made their Utahraptor.  Are they just supposed to scrap the whole figure because a new discovery was made?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 05, 2015, 09:48:22 PMOkay, the top of the skull of REBOR's Utahraptor seems pretty darn close to that, but the lower jaw and the overall proportions of that Utahraptor are supposedly from new finds.  Finds that were discovered AFTER REBOR made their Utahraptor.  Are they just supposed to scrap the whole figure because a new discovery was made?
The proper feathering was not a new find.

Sim

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 05, 2015, 07:01:13 PM
Quote from: Sim on April 05, 2015, 05:21:51 PM
You said, "It means artistic interpretations of dinosaurs as they might have appeared".  Prior to the Rebor figures being made, it was already known Yutyrannus had more feathers than the Rebor figure.  And that Tyrannosaurus didn't have a head like the Rebor figure.  Same with Utahraptor.  The JP Velociraptor head used for it is has barely any resemblance to known dromaeosaur heads.  In another Rebor thread on this forum Rebor themselves said they deliberately altered their models' anatomy from what's known of the animals to try to make them more appealing to people.
Okay.  Since every company and their mothers sculpts their rexes and raptors similarly to JP's, what exactly is WRONG with REBOR's rex skull?  And the Utahraptor?  Its head doesn't really resemble the JP raptors that I remember.  The Utahraptor's snout is fairly low from the front of the eye whereas the JP raptors had a small crest there(which was exaggerated for JP3).
If when you said "WRONG" you mean inaccurate (correct me if I'm wrong), inaccuracies in the Rebor T. rex's skull are mentioned in its Dino Toy Blog review: http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/01/05/tyrannosaurus-rex-king-rex-by-rebor/  There are a number of companies that have Tyrannosauruses and dromaeosaurids that aren't JP-inspired, e.g.: Safari, Carnegie, Battat, Favorite, CollectA, Bullyland, Geoworld.  Companies I can think of that have focused on the JP designs for those dinos are Papo, Rebor, Schleich and Mojo.  JP-inspired Tyrannosaurus reconstructions tend to alter Tyrannosaurus's jawline to match that of JP's T. rex, and add "angry eye crests".  Real Tyrannosaurus heads for comparison: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Don-t-mess-with-T-rexes-472216626  Tyrannosaurus had very good binocular vision thanks to the shape of its skull which had a narrow snout and wide rear, as seen here (Tarbosaurus is A, Tyrannosaurus is B): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrannosaurus#/media/File:Tarbosaurus_and_Tyrannosaurus.jpg  The Rebor T. rex's head isn't like this, and this has also been pointed out by people who own it like in the Dino Toy Blog review and here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2750.msg81034#msg81034

I've had another look at the Rebor Utahraptor and the JP Velociraptor, and the Rebor figure's head looks almost identical to that of the Velociraptors from JP and the Lost World (not JP3) to me.
[deleted defunct image]
I really appreciate that Rebor made their Utahraptor with feathers though, and that they took inspiration from birds for it.

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 05, 2015, 09:48:22 PM
Okay, the top of the skull of REBOR's Utahraptor seems pretty darn close to that, but the lower jaw and the overall proportions of that Utahraptor are supposedly from new finds.  Finds that were discovered AFTER REBOR made their Utahraptor.  Are they just supposed to scrap the whole figure because a new discovery was made?
I don't know exactly when Rebor's Utahraptor was made, but the new finds regarding the proportions and skull shape of Utahraptor were known about before Rebor's first thread on this forum where they introduced themselves (the Yutyrannus one).  When it was found out Rebor was going to be doing a Utahraptor (this was some time before Rebor even announced it), the new Utahraptor finds were mentioned by members in a Rebor's thread.  I'm not saying their Utahraptor hadn't been made yet (I don't know when it got made), or that Rebor should have done anything, I'm just sharing facts.

Um...  Since this thread seems to have become a bit heated I thought it might be a good idea to share a really funny and amazing toy I saw on the old Dinosaur Toy Forum, the longest necked and tailed Styracosaurus I've ever seen: http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3721/plasticosauria-news?page=1&scrollTo=103899  Sorry for the off-topic!

tanystropheus

The CollectA 1:15 T.rex and the upcoming Sideshow Tyrant King Statue also seems to exhibit these 'angry eye crests'...

Sim

That Sideshow Tyrannosaurus doesn't have them.  The oldest 2 CollectA Tyrannosauruses + the big one you mentioned do look JP-inspired, but their 3 more recent ones (the one with prey, and the feathered adult and baby ones) aren't JP-inspired.  I know CollectA's first "Velociraptor" was also JP-inspired as is one of Safari's many Tyrannosauruses, but since these companies have made many more recent T. rexes and dromaeosaurids that are original and not inspired by Jurassic Park, I listed them as "companies that have Tyrannosauruses and dromaeosaurids that aren't JP-inspired".

Shadowknight1

Trust me, I'm not angry, I actually want to learn.  And I swear that I can't see the JP raptor head in the Utahraptor.  Maybe it's the coloration or the feathers throwing me off, but it just doesn't look like it.

Either way, in the <$150 category, I don't think there are many, if any 100% accurate dinosaurs, especially in the dromaeosaur family.  For example, most Allosaurus figures tend to ignore the enlarged thumb claw, with Papo's being a notable exception(if only it had properly pronated wrists).  That same feature exists on Acrocanthosaurus and is absent on both the Wild Safari and Battat models, but is present on the REBOR Acro.  And thanks to Wikipedia, I discovered that "angry eye crests" on Acro aren't exclusive to REBOR as shown in this bit of palaeo-art:
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

ddidiodion

Quote from: Concavenator on April 05, 2015, 08:17:05 PM
@ddidiodion:Yutyrannus was very different from Utahraptor.They belonged to different families.Utahraptor was a bird,while Yutyrannus wasn't as birdlike.There's anything technically incorrect with a bald face Yutyrannus,but if you did a bald headed Utahraptor,I believe it would be incorrect.Furthermore,the Rebor Utahraptor has a bald underside,while the Safari Yutyrannus doesn't.

Quote from: Patrx on April 05, 2015, 08:17:26 PM
The short answer is cladistics. Basically, Yutyrannus, as a basal tyrannosauroid, is the only member of that group for which we have any reliable evidence of integument (feathers, scales, etc). It might have had a feathery face, but we can't tell based on its fossils or by looking at close relatives.
Utahraptor, meanwhile, is a dromaeosaur. We've got lots of fossils showing what its close relatives' feathers were like, and no reason to assume its own were different. Ergo, it is parsimonious (i.e. scientifically conservative) to assume it had a feathery head and face.

I'm quite familiar with cladistics, but thanks guys. However what I was asking is what evidence do we have that Utahraptor would have facial feathering, do we have fossils which exhibit facial feathering in dromaeosaurs?

Dyscrasia

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 05, 2015, 11:57:35 PM
Quote from: Sim on April 05, 2015, 11:27:24 PM
That Sideshow Tyrannosaurus doesn't have them.

Well, why does he look so angry?  :D

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-134583005946615/dinosauria-t-rex-the-tyrant-king-statue-4.jpg

http://static.webshopapp.com/shops/002090/files/013030346/sideshows-dinosauria-statue-t-rex-the-tyrant-king.jpg

That is because of the angle of which those photos were taken.

The first two Sideshow T. rexes also look angry when viewed from those angles.

From this photo, one can see that the crests are actually sculpted the way how real T. rex skulls are like.

Arul

30 days of banned, 24 days more i miss you REBOR  :'(  :P

Sim

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 05, 2015, 11:54:38 PM
Trust me, I'm not angry, I actually want to learn.
Thanks for saying that.  I felt we'd been having a friendly conversation until I read your previous 2 posts which made me think you might be angry.  I'm glad that isn't the case!

Acrocanthosaurus had a ridge running along each side of its snout up to the eye.  It's tallest where it ends, just before the eye.  In the Acrocanthosaurus picture in your post, the crests over the eyes aren't taller than the crest on its snout.  Here's another example of the same thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrocanthosaurus#/media/File:Acrocanthosaurus_head_BW.jpg  The Rebor model on the other hand has very large crests over the eyes that are quite a bit taller than the crests on its snout: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8703/16799763320_5c7b0c5774_b.jpg  One can see the difference when comparing it to an Acrocanthosaurus's skull: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrocanthosaurus#/media/File:Acrocanthosaurusskeleton.jpg  I can see that there's another picture (from 2007) on the Acrocanthosaurus Wikipedia page that shows it with crests over the eyes and no visible crests/ridges before the eyes though.

Quote from: Dyscrasia on April 06, 2015, 04:23:58 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on April 05, 2015, 11:57:35 PM
Quote from: Sim on April 05, 2015, 11:27:24 PM
That Sideshow Tyrannosaurus doesn't have them.

Well, why does he look so angry?  :D

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-134583005946615/dinosauria-t-rex-the-tyrant-king-statue-4.jpg

http://static.webshopapp.com/shops/002090/files/013030346/sideshows-dinosauria-statue-t-rex-the-tyrant-king.jpg

That is because of the angle of which those photos were taken.

The first two Sideshow T. rexes also look angry when viewed from those angles.

From this photo, one can see that the crests are actually sculpted the way how real T. rex skulls are like.
Thanks Dyscrasia, you explained it better than I would've been able to!

ladyferry

I just don't understand the Rebor haters. I love my Rebor dinosaurs.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ARUL on April 06, 2015, 10:03:59 AM
30 days of banned, 24 days more i miss you REBOR  :'(  :P

They do have a Facebook page they post on pretty regularly : https://www.facebook.com/reborstudio

Quote from: ladyferry on April 06, 2015, 04:07:06 PM
I just don't understand the Rebor haters. I love my Rebor dinosaurs.

Different people/different tastes.  Some like chocolate, some like vanilla..some like both. :)

tyrantqueen

QuoteDifferent people/different tastes.  Some like chocolate, some like vanilla..some like both. :)
I like chocolate and vanilla together >:D I find them a bit boring by themselves. Yummy yummy.

Patrx

I think you're all forgetting about mint chocolate chip, the once and future king of all ice-cream flavors.

... What were we talking about again?

Takama

Quote from: Patrx on April 06, 2015, 05:44:31 PM
I think you're all forgetting about mint chocolate chip, the once and future king of all ice-cream flavors.

I dont know, something about a Dinosaur? :P

Sumo

Quote from: Patrx on April 06, 2015, 05:44:31 PM

Not to be difficult, and I appreciate and understand your point of view, but dude....
Licorice is superior to all other ice cream flavors. That's just a proven fact.

(though mint choc chip... yum.)
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: