News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

It's the first time I see this Kaiyodo figure of Velociraptor and it's absolutely amazing.
Congrats!  ^-^

Halichoeres

Those Dinoland figures really are amazing, especially for the time. That thing can't possibly be 1/100, though, right? That would be like a Good Luck Mini or maybe smaller.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 05, 2016, 07:33:35 PM
Those Dinoland figures really are amazing, especially for the time. That thing can't possibly be 1/100, though, right? That would be like a Good Luck Mini or maybe smaller.

More like 1/12, don't know where I got that.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 05, 2016, 07:38:54 PM

It wouldn't have surprised me if it were labeled 1/100. I have the Anchiceratops, which is supposed to be 1/20, but it's also about 1/12.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 05, 2016, 07:47:46 PM

It wouldn't have surprised me if it were labeled 1/100. I have the Anchiceratops, which is supposed to be 1/20, but it's also about 1/12.

The series was originally labeled in the 90s as the 100 mm series (because all the models are about 100 mm long).
Some sellers took this wrong and based the term "1/100 series". You can read that quite often, but it's wrong.
The Anchiceratops is not from this series.

The Velociraptor is still missing in my collection. I'm very envious >:( ;D.

Halichoeres

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 05, 2016, 08:42:52 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 05, 2016, 07:47:46 PM

The series was originally labeled in the 90s as the 100 mm series (because all the models are about 100 mm long).
Some sellers took this wrong and based the term "1/100 series". You can read that quite often, but it's wrong.
Thanks for the clarification!

DinoLord

Congratulations on the acquisition; it's a beautiful figure. Amazing how it's almost a perfect anatomical representation of Velociraptor (asides from the integument), even down to the supinated wrists. Many the rigorous anatomists of that era (ex. Greg Paul) hadn't caught on to that yet!

stargatedalek

It's probably labelled Velociraptol because that's the product label in romaji and not meant to be it's binomial name. It's not uncommon for R and L to get swapped in romaji due to the L sound being essentially unused in Japanese.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Congratulations on your new acq. I'm not usually a huge fan of naked raptors but this one has some good nostalgia!
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

AcroSauroTaurus

Its like that featherless breed of chicken... So, possible.... genetic mutation. ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Libraraptor

Just browsed the last 13 pages of this threat  and can´t believe I never replied  how  wonderful it is!
- Books and dinosaur models always go very well together
- Those many monochromes really make my jaw drop.
- The variety is amazing!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Viking Spawn on February 05, 2016, 05:25:42 PM
WOW! That looks really nice! Congrats Doug!  :)
Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on February 05, 2016, 05:43:54 PM
It's the first time I see this Kaiyodo figure of Velociraptor and it's absolutely amazing.
Congrats!  ^-^

Thank you both, it is always great to finally snag something you have chased for years. I thing it has a graceful and elegant look to it.

Doug Watson

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 05, 2016, 08:42:52 PM

The Velociraptor is still missing in my collection. I'm very envious >:( ;D.

That makes sense, I believe I did see that 1/100 in a listing, thank you for the information and I hope you find one someday.

Doug Watson

Quote from: DinoLord on February 05, 2016, 11:18:52 PM
Congratulations on the acquisition; it's a beautiful figure. Amazing how it's almost a perfect anatomical representation of Velociraptor (asides from the integument), even down to the supinated wrists. Many the rigorous anatomists of that era (ex. Greg Paul) hadn't caught on to that yet!

Yes, I think that and its elegance is what drew me to it back then, now if I had only bought it at original retail. Now whenever I see something that I am on the fence on I buy it if I have the cash.

Doug Watson

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 06, 2016, 12:13:43 AM
It's probably labelled Velociraptol because that's the product label in romaji and not meant to be it's binomial name. It's not uncommon for R and L to get swapped in romaji due to the L sound being essentially unused in Japanese.

That is very interesting Star, thank you. My daughter has taken an interest in reading and writing Japanese I'll mention it to her. She has made several trips to Japan for pleasure and business. (helps when you are a flight attendant).

Doug Watson

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on February 06, 2016, 12:20:05 AM
Congratulations on your new acq. I'm not usually a huge fan of naked raptors but this one has some good nostalgia!

Thank you. I am slowly getting used to fluffy dinos.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 06, 2016, 10:00:17 AM
Just browsed the last 13 pages of this threat  and can´t believe I never replied  how  wonderful it is!
- Books and dinosaur models always go very well together
- Those many monochromes really make my jaw drop.
- The variety is amazing!

Thank you!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 23, 2016, 03:18:06 AM
Doug your original sculpts are beautiful, especially those fantastic prehistoric mammals. I've said in another thread that Safari models aren't of my taste but seeing the originals I easily change my mind. I wish mass production and poor quality control would not cheapen them so much. Could you post close ups of other models like you did with the 2016 dino line up? I would love to see Inostrancevia in particular, I'm so fascinated with gorgonopsids. Would also be very interesting to see your original paint on them, the picture of your Pachyrhinosaurus you posted in the customised figures section speaks for itself.

- I would happily pay twice the price for figures if companies would be able to render their mass produced models 100% like the original prototypes -

Thank you. Actually if they were to put the time in on each paint that I do when I do my paint guides the prices would be well over twice the price, many times over. If you ever do a repaint yourself keep track of your time and multiply that by your current hourly rate and I am guessing it will be way more than the retail prices of these pieces. You have to remember that even though Safari appreciates the collector and listens to him or her the bulk of our sales go to kids or their parents who want a toy so the aim is to keep them affordable for that demographic. The people who paint these aren't artists in fact one person does not paint each one start to finish. There are videos online that show some of the process. One person will do some airbrushing then others will add details. One may add all the white on a toy and another may add all the black. I am actually pretty impressed how close they get to my paints.
Also because these are deemed suitable for kids 3 + often claws, horns and teeth are blunted to prevent injuries.
I have an early production sample of the Inostrancevia and they actually did a pretty good job on it.

This is the original sculpt

Digibasherx

Wow, Doug, you have an awesome collection. I am to new to collecting dino figures, but I have a few of yours in my collection. I love the ceratopsians you did.  I've been eyeing a lot of the Safari figures and I'm surprised the majority are sculpted by a single sculptor :)

I didn't realize Michael's carried dino figures and will definitely give them a visit.  After Toys R us stopped carrying figures, I didn't think many toy stores still do (other than Mastermind).  I remember as a kid, I used to find a lot at Grand & Toy.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Digibasherx on February 24, 2016, 04:01:09 AM
Wow, Doug, you have an awesome collection. I am to new to collecting dino figures, but I have a few of yours in my collection. I love the ceratopsians you did.  I've been eyeing a lot of the Safari figures and I'm surprised the majority are sculpted by a single sculptor :)

I didn't realize Michael's carried dino figures and will definitely give them a visit.  After Toys R us stopped carrying figures, I didn't think many toy stores still do (other than Mastermind).  I remember as a kid, I used to find a lot at Grand & Toy.

Thank you for your comments on my collection and Safari pieces. From the names of the stores I am guessing you are in Canada as well. Safari has had a lot of trouble finding good distributors in Canada. From what I understand they are now handling distribution to retailers by themselves so hopefully it improves.
Are you sure Grand & Toy sold figures I thought they were just office supply? The Toy part of the name came from one of the partners.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: