News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digibasherx

I'm Canadian indeed. I recall Grand and Toy because it was a green logo with a circle or some sort.  Mind you, this is 25+ years ago and it could be another stationary/educational store.  It's really too bad, as now I'm starting to get interested in Safari, Kaiyodo and in some degree Invicta models.  I recall the stationary store had Invicta, but I think they're only sold out of Britan and Europe (I could be wrong).

Doug Watson

Quote from: Digibasherx on February 24, 2016, 08:22:18 PM
I'm Canadian indeed. I recall Grand and Toy because it was a green logo with a circle or some sort.  Mind you, this is 25+ years ago and it could be another stationary/educational store.  It's really too bad, as now I'm starting to get interested in Safari, Kaiyodo and in some degree Invicta models.  I recall the stationary store had Invicta, but I think they're only sold out of Britan and Europe (I could be wrong).

Yes they have a Green Circle with a G & T in it. They could have been selling the toys for doctors and dentist offices. By the time I was shopping at G & T I was only looking for office supplies. I will kick myself if they were selling Invictas and I didn't notice. Invictas originated out of Britain but have been out of production for around 13 years now. I got most of mine off of eBay and a UK seller who was still selling them in 2003.
G & T is still in operation and was a Canadian company but now they are owned by Office Depot.

Doug Watson

I considered starting a new topic for this but since it is so closely tied to parts of my collection I decided to put it here.
I have crossed an item of my bucket list that as a Canadian I didn't think was possible. I have collected several Sinclair Gas dino items from the 60s and years ago I read that Sinclair had been bought out by ARCO and BP so I never thought I could ever actually go to a Sinclair Station. Well we just got back from a vacation in California & Nevada and to my surprise I found a Sinclair station in Boulder City Nevada. It seems the company rose from the ashes in 1976 in the region bounded by the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains complete with all the Dino logos. Unfortunately there are no more plastic dinosaurs only plush dinos and inflatable dinos.

Here are some shots from the station.

Halichoeres

Surprised you didn't carry off that big fiberglass one! I would've been tempted.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Digibasherx

Blade-of-the-Moon

Thats awesome Doug!  I'd love to find one of Sinclair statues for the Park, something kids actually ride on. :)

Libraraptor

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 15, 2016, 01:47:08 AM
Surprised you didn't carry off that big fiberglass one! I would've been tempted.
Me too :D

Doug Watson

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 15, 2016, 09:10:36 AM
Me too :D

Our little silver rental Ford Focus was too small ;)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 15, 2016, 03:15:34 AM
Thats awesome Doug!  I'd love to find one of Sinclair statues for the Park, something kids actually ride on. :)

It is cool that someone had the foresight to hold onto the mould. I have seen at least one online where the station put a saddle on it for the kiddies. There is another one that has half of a life-sized Dino as the front of the store that you walk though the front legs. If we had Sinclair Stations up here in the sixties I would have bugged my Dad to fill up there every day!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 15, 2016, 12:16:36 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 15, 2016, 03:15:34 AM

It is cool that someone had the foresight to hold onto the mould. I have seen at least one online where the station put a saddle on it for the kiddies. There is another one that has half of a life-sized Dino as the front of the store that you walk though the front legs. If we had Sinclair Stations up here in the sixties I would have bugged my Dad to fill up there every day!

Seeing how dino-crazy the public is you'd think they would open a new dino chain store..or re-open some.  Pretty sure I'd never go anywhere else.. lol

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 14, 2016, 08:51:17 PM
I considered starting a new topic for this but since it is so closely tied to parts of my collection I decided to put it here.
I have crossed an item of my bucket list that as a Canadian I didn't think was possible. I have collected several Sinclair Gas dino items from the 60s and years ago I read that Sinclair had been bought out by ARCO and BP so I never thought I could ever actually go to a Sinclair Station. Well we just got back from a vacation in California & Nevada and to my surprise I found a Sinclair station in Boulder City Nevada. It seems the company rose from the ashes in 1976 in the region bounded by the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains complete with all the Dino logos. Unfortunately there are no more plastic dinosaurs only plush dinos and inflatable dinos.

Here are some shots from the station.

I have a metal cap disc thing with that dino on it

Doug Watson

I have finally completed my Marx Flintstones Hunting Party (minus the box) thanks to Joe Demarco. I picked up the T rex and the Stegosaurus from Joe at a great price because each had slight damage. I now have Fred & Barney, the Stegosaurus, the T rex and the Brontosaurus. I got them a while ago but I just finished repairing the damage to the Stegosaurus and T rex. I have my doubts if I will ever find the box since the only times I have seen it is with the figures and with a huge price tag.
I have posted close ups of the Stegosaurus and the T rex on the original post Reply #124 on page 7 of this thread. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3118.120
The complete set minus the box.

Lanthanotus

Nice pieces, Doug and congrats on completition, hope you'll find the box one day. I had the knockoff of the T.rex as one of my first dinosaurs and I always wondered about its two completly different feet, but I see the original looks quiet beautiful, as just stepped out of a Charles R. knight picture. Does Fred miss one leg? And why is this the "hunting party", the dinosaurs look nice, but nothing like the ones from the show....?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 03, 2016, 11:22:06 AM
Nice pieces, Doug and congrats on completition, hope you'll find the box one day. I had the knockoff of the T.rex as one of my first dinosaurs and I always wondered about its two completly different feet, but I see the original looks quiet beautiful, as just stepped out of a Charles R. knight picture. Does Fred miss one leg? And why is this the "hunting party", the dinosaurs look nice, but nothing like the ones from the show....?

When you bought the big Flintstones Bedrock Playset from 1962, you also got houses, trees, cars etc. I have the complete set in the box. You got smaller Flintstones human characters as they looked in the cartoon including Puss & Dino. You also got an assortment of the Marx solid plastic dinosaurs from that time. I guess they probably did that to save cost rather than do a series of the cartoon dinos. Or maybe they figured kids would rather have "realistic" dinosaurs, which in my case was correct. You can see the rest of the Marx Flintstones and the dinos you got on Reply #109 on page 6 here.http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3118.100
Fred isn't missing a leg he has his right leg lifted like he is walking. Like I said with the Bedrock set you got a miniature town but with the hunting set all you got were larger versions of Fred and Barney and larger hard plastic hollow dinosaurs. This T rex is 6.5" tall compared to 3.5" tall for the original solid slim T rex. The Brontosaurus and Stegosaurus are original sculpts. The box shows Fred and Barney hiding behind a tree with their clubs waiting to bonk an unsuspecting dinosaur on the head as it comes down to a stream to drink so that is why they called it the Hunting Party. I think they thought sales might be on the strength of the again "realistic" dinosaurs rather than having cute cartoony dinos for them to whack. Funny because the box shows a cartoony dino instead of a real one. I guess advertising from the day probably showed what was inside to help sales.

P.S. I just remembered that Joe Demarco told me that he recalls these larger hollow dinosaurs being sold separately in bins later on so Marx may have also thought there would be a bigger market for non cartoon dinosaurs. Some of the casts have the dinosaur name and sizes and others don't so that could be accounted for by the later run.

Lanthanotus

Thanks for these explanations, Doug.....

Quote from: Doug Watson
When you bought the big Flintstones Bedrock Playset from 1962, you also got houses, trees, cars etc. I have the complete set in the box.

... do you happen to have photos for this box and setups (though I guess I spotted the box in your first post...)? :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 03, 2016, 09:20:48 PM

When you bought the big Flintstones Bedrock Playset from 1962, you also got houses, trees, cars etc. I have the complete set in the box.

... do you happen to have photos for this box and setups (though I guess I spotted the box in your first post...)? :)

No, but I could set it up and take a shot and yes you spotted the box.

Halichoeres

Congrats, Doug! That's a cool set.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 03, 2016, 09:20:48 PM

Here you go. The only things I am missing are the paper bags the figures came in.

Box & instructions. $4.94 US in 1962

The Bedrock set up with those houses cast in lovely marbled plastic. Do they even make anything out of marbled plastic today?

Doug Watson

Another recent acquisition. The York Peanut Butter Dinosaurs and Other Animals of the Past Picture Card Book. Also from 1962, "Where were you in 62?"
I never had the album but I had a stack of the cards. Their octagon shape made them the best cards for playing closest to the wall so I either wore them out or lost them to another 7 year old hustler.
I still have one very badly worn card from my youth and 12 displayable cards in the album so I need 28 more. That $0.25 price on the cover kills me especially when I think of what I just paid.

postsaurischian

:D Lovely!

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 05, 2016, 07:20:38 PM
....... "Where were you in 62?"

4 more years to go until I see the light of day :-[.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: