News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Thanks for the clarifications Doug, in effect I was referring to the metal production molds of the respective factories he told me they were worth thousands of dollars.

I am pleasantly impressed of the difficult process of elaboration of the figures with which the paleoartists in general terms make the figures whether of PVC, vinyl or resin. Sincerely it is an art, I saw on the other hand to your companions in the production of figures of animals like Jason of Minizoo the laborious processes of production of figures, that is pure craftsmanship the one that you realize. Sinceramente I am astonished. They are high-status works of art.

PhilSauria

Doug
Not sure where to post this but this seems like as good a place - just wanted to offer my congratulations on the quality of the new Triceratops! I have had mine for about a week now and it is still sitting on my desk rather than being found a place on the shelves (next to the rex would be best), but I have left it there to admire the thing. My eye is continually drawn to it and I'd have to say that it is in my opinion the best Triceratops figure that I have in the collection. I am aware that you have, of course, based it on the fossil remains of the animal itself but in doing so you have to my eye really captured the iconic look and essence of this beast to a greater degree than a lot of other interpretations from other manufacturers more or less working from the same source material. Anyway, gone on a bit there but I just wanted to let you know that your work on this one has made for one very satisfied collector.
Thanks.

Doug Watson

Quote from: PhilSauria on February 05, 2018, 02:33:46 AM
Doug
Not sure where to post this but this seems like as good a place - just wanted to offer my congratulations on the quality of the new Triceratops! I have had mine for about a week now and it is still sitting on my desk rather than being found a place on the shelves (next to the rex would be best), but I have left it there to admire the thing. My eye is continually drawn to it and I'd have to say that it is in my opinion the best Triceratops figure that I have in the collection. I am aware that you have, of course, based it on the fossil remains of the animal itself but in doing so you have to my eye really captured the iconic look and essence of this beast to a greater degree than a lot of other interpretations from other manufacturers more or less working from the same source material. Anyway, gone on a bit there but I just wanted to let you know that your work on this one has made for one very satisfied collector.
Thanks.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Georassic

Doug, can you tell us what species your 2010 WS Apatosaurus is based on? Thanks!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Georassic on February 05, 2018, 02:55:56 PM
Doug, can you tell us what species your 2010 WS Apatosaurus is based on? Thanks!

Apatosaurus louisae

Shonisaurus

On the other hand, Mr. Doug, what kind of dimetrodon is your figure based on?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 05, 2018, 04:56:05 PM

Dimetrodon grandis

Georassic

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 05, 2018, 03:21:24 PM
Quote from: Georassic on February 05, 2018, 02:55:56 PM

Apatosaurus louisae
many thanks!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 05, 2018, 06:16:04 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 05, 2018, 04:56:05 PM

Dimetrodon grandis

Thank you Mr. Doug for your reply. He is one of my favorite figures of this year.

Doug Watson

Quote from: pako on July 04, 2017, 06:53:32 PM
Hey Doug,
By the way, have you finished refreshing the papo brown T-rex?

;)

Well I finally found some time to refurbish the Brown Papo Running T rex you sold me. You may remember it had paint loss all over it with some detail loss plus the missing snaggletooth. I ground out the areas with detail loss to give some room for depth, remodelled those areas with Magic Sculpt and made a new snaggletooth. Then I airbrushed all the paint rubs and repairs. I am very happy how it turned out and now joins my Papo collection which I will restore the images for one of these days. Thanks again for the T rex.

pako

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 05, 2018, 07:03:47 PM
Quote from: pako on July 04, 2017, 06:53:32 PM
Hey Doug,
By the way, have you finished refreshing the papo brown T-rex?

;)

Well I finally found some time to refurbish the Brown Papo Running T rex you sold me. You may remember it had paint loss all over it with some detail loss plus the missing snaggletooth. I ground out the areas with detail loss to give some room for depth, remodelled those areas with Magic Sculpt and made a new snaggletooth. Then I airbrushed all the paint rubs and repairs. I am very happy how it turned out and now joins my Papo collection which I will restore the images for one of these days. Thanks again for the T rex.

Hey ! That's amazing ! Really nice job you did, I am really pleased with what you've done and glad it's part of your collection now.

Patrx

Nicely done! I'd never have guessed it had been damaged.

Reptilia

You did a great job restoring that T-Rex, unsurprisingly. Seems like a brand new one.

Doug Watson

Quote from: pako on March 05, 2018, 08:27:42 PM
Hey ! That's amazing ! Really nice job you did, I am really pleased with what you've done and glad it's part of your collection now.
Quote from: Patrx on March 05, 2018, 08:29:21 PM
Nicely done! I'd never have guessed it had been damaged.
Quote from: Reptilia on March 05, 2018, 10:16:20 PM
You did a great job restoring that T-Rex, unsurprisingly. Seems like a brand new one.

Thank you all, I really enjoy the challenge of bringing toys back from the dead, plus I get them at a discount that way. :D Oh I forgot to mention someone at Papo dumped a whole lot of gloss sealer on the area around the left eye. It literally formed a deep puddle. I was able to dissolve it with minimal paint loss. If anyone else has that problem I used Methyl Hydrate with a fine artist's brush and a cue tip to remove it. Just work slowly.

Shonisaurus

For you Mr. Watson the task of reconstructing a figure like the tyrannosaurus rex running from Papo brown version should be an easy task since you are one of the best sculptors of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals on the market and will be used to dealing with figures like these. :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 06, 2018, 03:48:02 PM
For you Mr. Watson the task of reconstructing a figure like the tyrannosaurus rex running from Papo brown version should be an easy task since you are one of the best sculptors of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals on the market and will be used to dealing with figures like these. :)

Aw shucks, thanks.

Doug Watson

So I have finally gotten around to posting images of my 2019 original Safari Ltd sculpts.
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator & avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon as you requested I have posted them on the first post of this thread just scroll down through my originals
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3118.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Thanks for that bud! Lots of details there the paint obscures. 

Faelrin

Alright I'm convinced now. I really need to get the rest of the 2019 figures when they are out (even if it takes me a while to do so, since I still have some older models to catch up on). Thanks for posting pics of the original sculpts, like with your earlier works. Really do like how these things look before being painted up too. It's just so fascinating.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

Such beautiful detailed work, Doug.  Thank you for showing them to us. I thought the Pteranodon and Citipati in particular looked ready to walk off - you have instilled a true look of life in them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: