News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Doug, your sculptures of the prototypes are great, they are just as beautiful as the painted figures. Have you not planned to market these figures in a monocolor like the dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Invicta, apart from the beautiful painted figures?

The pteranodon and allosaurus have me surprised. They are the best paleo-sculptures of these two prehistoric toy animals and the same can be said of other figures. The unpainted spinosaurus looks awesome.

Thank you for showing us these figures.

Patrx

Fantastic; thanks, Doug :D Always a privilege to see these original pieces.

Halichoeres

Phenomenal. Thanks for sharing those!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

All The original sculpts are beautiful. And the face of the Stegosaurus looks so beautiful. I think I've never seen such a graceful looking face on a Stegosaurus plastic figure.

Concavenator

That Allosaurus looks magnificent.

The Spinosaurus also looks very nice.I know it's meant to be in a swimming pose-but aren't the legs a bit too long? ???

I'm trying to imagine the figure in a standing pose,and I don't know if it's me but from what I see it looks like if thaf same figure was in a standing pose,the legs would be so long that it would be bipedal (not quadrupedal, as is by now the most scientifically accurate and updated version of Spinosaurus we currently have,that is,the 2014 Ibrahim one).

However,it was very smart of you,Doug to sculpt it in a swimming pose.From what we know, Spinosaurus was quadrupedal,yet it's unknown how it actually stood ( and moved on land). (Knucle walking like a gorilla,crawling in the ground?...)

Nimravus

Wow, those originals look fabulous! The Stegosaurus face is beautiful!

Doug Watson

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon - thank you, nothing some washes and dry brushing wouldn't fix unfortunately we can't do that and keep the price within reach of the target audience, kids.
avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin - thank you
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian - thank you
avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus - thank you, doing monochromes would be a Safari Ltd decision, as far as I know its not in the cards. I wouldn't mind it, I would get less grief here over the paint jobs.
avatar_Patrx @Patrx - you are welcome.
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres - thanks and you are welcome
avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. - thanks, I had to give Sophie a pretty face.
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator - I checked my original against my reference and it looks fine to me.
avatar_Nimravus @Nimravus - thanks, glad you like Sophie too.

Renecito

Thank you for posting pics of the original sculpt, only this way we can see how beautiful the figures really are.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Doug Watson

Quote from: Renecito on December 14, 2018, 12:01:48 AM
Thank you for posting pics of the original sculpt, only this way we can see how beautiful the figures really are.

You are welcome and thank you.

Shonisaurus

By the way Doug, do you already have planned which figures are you going to make the Safari brand and you?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 14, 2018, 01:38:43 PM
By the way Doug, do you already have planned which figures are you going to make the Safari brand and you?

Any new suggestions would be for 2021 or beyond.

DinoObsessed

Please get safari to do another extinct whale besides basilosaurus.

Georassic

Thanks for sharing, Doug. We're privileged to get to see these.

Doug Watson

Quote from: DinoObcessed on December 14, 2018, 02:50:21 PM
Please get safari to do another extinct whale besides basilosaurus.

There is a thread for Safari Ltd suggestions here http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7315.msg221190;topicseen#new
I always tell everyone to make their suggestions directly to Safari Ltd as well. A bunch of fans suggesting a piece carries more weight than one suggestion from me.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Georassic on December 14, 2018, 02:58:22 PM
Thanks for sharing, Doug. We're privileged to get to see these.

You are welcome.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 14, 2018, 01:48:11 PM

So, Doug the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals for 2020 are already agreed, is not it?

I will wait in September-October 2019 what new figures you make. I sincerely like the paraceratherium very much on the part of the Safari brand and on an acceptable scale that is to say big. I hope that one day Safari will give you the authorization to make that emblematic prehistoric mammal that is one of my favorites.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 14, 2018, 04:01:53 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on December 14, 2018, 01:48:11 PM

So, Doug the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals for 2020 are already agreed, is not it?

I will wait in September-October 2019 what new figures you make. I sincerely like the paraceratherium very much on the part of the Safari brand and on an acceptable scale that is to say big. I hope that one day Safari will give you the authorization to make that emblematic prehistoric mammal that is one of my favorites.

Yes 2020 selection is done.

For suggestions see my response to DinoObcessed above.

Jorgesaurus

thanks mr. Doug for having listened to our requests. their models are incredible I never tire of seeing them. I can not wait to have them soon in my hands when they are available. For a collector, the sculptor of attention to the requests of his admirers has no price. Thank you ^-^

Concavenator

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 12, 2018, 08:20:14 PM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon - thank you, nothing some washes and dry brushing wouldn't fix unfortunately we can't do that and keep the price within reach of the target audience, kids.
avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin - thank you
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian - thank you
avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus - thank you, doing monochromes would be a Safari Ltd decision, as far as I know its not in the cards. I wouldn't mind it, I would get less grief here over the paint jobs.
avatar_Patrx @Patrx - you are welcome.
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres - thanks and you are welcome
avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. - thanks, I had to give Sophie a pretty face.
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator - I checked my original against my reference and it looks fine to me.
avatar_Nimravus @Nimravus - thanks, glad you like Sophie too.

The question is-is the Spinosaurus of yours supposed to be the 2014 quadrupedal Spinosaurus ?
Because there was a version, corrected by Scott Hartman without any fossil support that had 27% longer legs.There are also versions of Spinosaurus that are based on the 2014 reconstruction (gap in the sail a la Ichthyovenator and shorter legs ) that still are meant to be updated,but with long enough legs to let the animal be bipedal (the fossil hints that it was quadrupedal yet most people represent it is as a biped).

However,I also have a very interesting question (kind of a tricky one  ::) : If you had sculpted your Spinosaurus as if it was on land rather than swimming, like your model does, how would you have represented it?

Would you have gone for the knuckle walking version?
Or the one with the wrists pointing upwards, like the CollectA ones?

I have also seem some version showing it crawling on land.

Which one do you feel is the more natural way?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on December 14, 2018, 10:48:10 PM
The question is-is the Spinosaurus of yours supposed to be the 2014 quadrupedal Spinosaurus ?

However,I also have a very interesting question (kind of a tricky one  ::) : If you had sculpted your Spinosaurus as if it was on land rather than swimming, like your model does, how would you have represented it?

Would you have gone for the knuckle walking version?

You asked and I answered the same question on the Safari Ltd New for 2019 thread, it is based on the Ibrahim model.

I did it in a swimming position precisely because there was no consensus on how it would propel itself on land. My layman's guess would be it would use its hands in someway to steady itself.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: