News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Thank you for this Doug.  The Triceratops is a very substantial beast indeed.

acro-man

Question here Mr Doug:
Why are the scales so big on the Triceratops, especially those on the frill?
It is very different from any previous Triceratops models we have.

Thanks  :)
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Digibasherx

Love the new trike, looks like a hefty addition to any collection, and will look great beside the feathered Rex.

Doug Watson

Quote from: acro-man on November 15, 2017, 03:52:56 PM
Question here Mr Doug:
Why are the scales so big on the Triceratops, especially those on the frill?
It is very different from any previous Triceratops models we have.

Thanks  :)

In 2002 the Black Hills Institute discovered one of the most complete Triceratops specimens named "Lane" which also included large sections of fossilized skin with at least six major integument types from different regions of the body, some in excess of 3 square feet in area, and with tubercles up to 4" across. A poster was presented at the SVP in 2007 that included several photos but at the time that I did the sculpt there had been no paper. I did receive a description of the skin in correspondence with Scott Persons who had personally studied the fossils. So I have used the images from the poster, Black Hills Institute and Scott's description to produce my version. The scales on the frill are conjecture based on the body scales.
Here are some images from the poster and a shot that give a good idea of the size of the body scales.

Shonisaurus

I am very happy that the triceratops is on a much larger scale than its predecessor. For me it is one of the best representations of triceratops made to date perhaps the best and I do not say it because you have done it Doug, it is the truth. The sculpture looks huge.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 15, 2017, 04:33:30 PM
I am very happy that the triceratops is on a much larger scale than its predecessor. For me it is one of the best representations of triceratops made to date perhaps the best and I do not say it because you have done it Doug, it is the truth. The sculpture looks huge.

People are going to think I pay you to write these posts. ;)

Jorgesaurus

good day mr. Watson I am so excited for your safari models 2018 that I do not know how to express it you are a wonderful person creating prehistoric models my friends in my country bother me because they say that my collection of prehistoric mammals did not grow but sincerely the models of other companies I do not like but When they showed their models for 2018 I was impressed with their beauty and accuracy a thousand thanks mr. Watson and thank you for taking into account our comments as collectors and I sincerely hope for a beautiful stegosaurus scale 1.35 for 2019 from your hands I'm sure it will be very nice

acro-man

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 15, 2017, 04:26:04 PM
In 2002 the Black Hills Institute discovered one of the most complete Triceratops specimens named "Lane" which also included large sections of fossilized skin with at least six major integument types from different regions of the body, some in excess of 3 square feet in area, and with tubercles up to 4" across. A poster was presented at the SVP in 2007 that included several photos but at the time that I did the sculpt there had been no paper. I did receive a description of the skin in correspondence with Scott Persons who had personally studied the fossils. So I have used the images from the poster, Black Hills Institute and Scott's description to produce my version. The scales on the frill are conjecture based on the body scales.

That so well answered my question. Thank you!
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Faelrin

I knew about the other Lane scales for a while now, but I had no idea there were Triceratops belly scales too. I thought the ones on your new model was just a nice aesthetic touch, but those are accurate too. That's so awesome. I really can't wait to get this one and the Ankylosaurus for the holiday season, and the Anzu too. Going to be real nice to have some "companions" for that Feathered Tyrannosaurus from last year, aside from the older Triceratops and Dracorex models I have.

Edit: Those size comparison pictures between your sculpts of the new Triceratops and the Feathered T. rex are really helpful too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

sauroid

and isnt it great that one of the artists who creates the great figures we collect and love is one of us, a fellow collector who interacts with us on a regular basis and who gives us first hand info "straight from the expert's mouth"? let's cherish all these facts and be thankful :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

PhilSauria

Mr Watson, let me add another (unpaid) note of appreciation for the new Triceratops - it is indeed magnificent! My Ceratopsians are displayed in a herd but this one will be placed next to your Tyrannosaurus - they look as though they were meant to be seen together. You have captured that distinctive Triceratops look so well and I can't wait to own one. Thanks again!

alexeratops

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 15, 2017, 03:06:29 PM

So it seems that this Triceratops is much larger than your other ceratopsians, I love that it's in scale with the Tyrannosaurus! Definitely getting it now!  :D
like a bantha!

Doug Watson

I have added shots of my original 2018 Safari Ltd sculpts on the first page.
Scroll down the first post. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3118.msg88240#msg88240

Halichoeres

Outstanding! Are those little glass eyes? They really give them life.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

Really cool to see the original masterpieces, thanks for sharing!  :)

ceratopsian

Beautiful pieces.  Thank you.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 01, 2017, 05:08:13 AM
Outstanding! Are those little glass eyes? They really give them life.

The dark brown ones are glass taxidermy eyes the smaller silver ones are metal, I use those on anything 2.0 mm or smaller

Jorgesaurus

Mr. Watson sincerely, you are wonderful, your sculptures are the best in replicas, thank you for sharing your photos and sincerely, my dream is that you perform a stegosaurus at the same scale as your wonderful triceratops and feathered t.rex for 2019

Shonisaurus

By the way Doug, a retailer told me that after you mold dinosaurs that you make paleo-sculptors, those same figures for wholesale and retail are immortalized by means of some plates that cost a lot of money and in this way the figures of dinosaurs and PVC figures in general. Is that true or is it a simple hoax from that merchant?

I am new in that, but I would like to ask you if the initial sculpture, for example, the one you show What material is it made of?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 01, 2017, 06:45:19 PM
By the way Doug, a retailer told me that after you mold dinosaurs that you make paleo-sculptors, those same figures for wholesale and retail are immortalized by means of some plates that cost a lot of money and in this way the figures of dinosaurs and PVC figures in general. Is that true or is it a simple hoax from that merchant?

I am really not sure what you are asking here so I will just explain the process. I sculpt an original piece, I make a rubber mould of that, from that mould I make resin casts some unpainted to be used to make a metal mould at the factory and some painted to be used as paint guides at the factory. That is the end of my involvement with the piece. When the person mentioned "plates" he or she may have meant the production metal moulds made by the factory which are worth thousands of dollars. I do not make any other versions of my pieces for sale.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 01, 2017, 06:45:19 PM
I am new in that, but I would like to ask you if the initial sculpture, for example, the one you show What material is it made of?

I sculpt my originals in a two part epoxy putty called Magic-Sculpt that I apply over a carved foam core.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: