News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 21, 2024, 05:23:06 PMThe text on the box might suggest that they once made an Ophthalmosaurus too:

Oh, that is bizarre. I'd actually go for one of those since fossil ichthyosaurs don't have dorsal fins.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 21, 2024, 05:23:06 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 20, 2024, 12:21:49 AMThanks for this comparison! Was hoping to see the Safari Patagotitan next to the CollectA Dreadnoughus. I'm very tempted to send my (eventual) copy of the Dreadnoughtus to Martin for a Prehistoric Planet inspired repaint. That whole sequence in the desert is without a doubt an iconic moment for paleomedia.

Ooh, if you do, I hope we get to see photos! Would you have him add air sacs too?

Happy to share of course if I decide to send my copy in ;D

Haven't decided on air sacs yet. On one hand they're iconic to the PP design, but on the other they certainly are a bit speculative.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 22, 2024, 12:06:10 AMOh, that is bizarre. I'd actually go for one of those since fossil ichthyosaurs don't have dorsal fins.

Sure they do, just not any bones. Fossil impressions are still fossil!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Primeval12 on May 21, 2024, 06:47:43 PM
Quote from: crazy8wizard on May 21, 2024, 06:16:14 PMI gotta track down that Ophthalmosaurus. A singing animatronic plaque mounted novelty ichthyosaur is so specific to the things I enjoy that it almost doesn't seem real.

Also the same company has an Allosaur(us?) that sings the same song as the Diplomystus

I don't think it exists unfortunately :(

You know, that could well be the case. This came out when WWD was still pretty fresh, and it wouldn't surprise me if the text on the Diplomystus box was just lifted from some Ophthalmosaurus merch. I wonder if there was text like this on the back of the Toyway blister cards.

Quote from: Faelrin on May 21, 2024, 09:57:38 PMBit of a random question but would you be fine if I used your pic for the two Science and Nature Serendipaceratops (I see the Atlascopcosaurus/Laellynasaura is already there), and the Qualia Fukuivenator? Do you also happen to know when the two above Science and Nature figures released? I didn't see anything on the Toyanimalwiki regarding them except some of the 2018 ones. Is the DTC correct with 2014? Figured I could do with updating that companies figures on the DTC after adding the two new Thylacine figures.

Edit: I did a massive investigation between yesterday and today using the Waybackmachine with searching both http://www.scienceandnature.com.au/ and https://www.minizoo.com.au/ and have come to the conclusion that their oldest dinosaur models were available around 2007 and discontinued between 2013-2015.

I also managed to find retailer pics of all those older figures (with and without backgrounds), which I'll probably do a reverse google search to find higher res versions, if available.

Yes, you can definitely use the Fukuivenator photo, and the S&N ones too if you like, but sounds like you have those covered.

DeMarco's Dinosauriana says they came out in 2014, but I think your conclusion is probably correct.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 21, 2024, 05:23:06 PMTo be fair, there are SO MANY titanosaur taxa, geez. I'm always startled by how many.

As for Maiasaura, it wouldn't surprise me if PNSO made one. Probably Museum Line with a baby, for $70.

Yeah, and the number of titanosaurs just keeps increasing.  ;D Most of them have scrappy remains, though.

As for a PNSO ML Maiasaura, that is something both worth looking forward to and not, at the same time!  :P

Quote from: Sim on May 20, 2024, 04:03:09 PMI looked for Showanna releases online to see what they might make as a "toy" figure next, and aside from Tyrannosaurus what I saw were Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus, Allosaurus, Spinosaurus, Ankylosaurus and an obscure abelisaurid.  Nothing that interests me, and I've lost interest in their Tyrannosaurus as well.

That obscure abelisaurid is Ilokelesia. I didn't know about it, but I looked it up and it's fragmentary, so I don't see why it should get made. There are certainly better options among abelisaurids, like Skorpiovenator or Aucasaurus.

Showanna has also made a Sinosaurus:

If their next PVC figure isn't a Big Al, then Sinosaurus gets my vote. It's essentially complete, and unlike Dilophosaurus, we don't have to speculate about what its crests looked like, thanks to LFKL-004 (Zhang et al., 2024). And no good figure of it exists. That said, I think it's a matter of time until PNSO makes it. But anyways, I think it would be a very interesting choice for a 2nd release, and one I'd be interested in. At least it's far more interesting than the other taxa you mention (except Allosaurus, of course!  ;) ). I was thinking about getting their Tyrannosaurus just to support them, but I think it'll be successful enough to guarantee a 2nd Showanna PVC release anyways, and I prefer Eofauna's take on Tyrannosaurus at the end of the day.

Sim

Wow, that Showanna Sinosaurus is stunning!  I hope they make a PVC version of it!  I'm not interested in any of their other figures being made as PVC figures.

Primeval12

I feel like PNSO is also about to drop a Sinosaurus. For now, I use the Schleich Dilophosaurus as one... ew...

Leyster

Quote from: Concavenator on May 23, 2024, 12:28:49 PMAnd no good figure of it exists.
There is Recur one, which is notable.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres the Diplomystus is fantastic!  :))
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

Leyster

Quote from: Sim on May 24, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
Quote from: Leyster on May 24, 2024, 03:42:33 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 23, 2024, 12:28:49 PMAnd no good figure of it exists.
And basically nonexistant.
It's hard to obtain outside China, yes, but I wouldn't define it nonexistant.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Concavenator

Quote from: Leyster on May 24, 2024, 03:42:33 PM

Ah yes, I forgot about that one. In any case, it would be nice to have a good, widely-available version.

Halichoeres

Ornithodirans of the Jurassic!

PNSO Saurophaganax
Scale: 1:30 (but see below)
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang or someone in his workshop
Released: 2023
Late Jurassic of Laurasia
I refused to buy this on principle for a while during the dark ages when PNSO only released theropods. But now that they have a little bit of variety back in their lineup, I can justify adding this. I don't have a strong opinion on the taxonomic status of i, but based on specimens assigned that name, this is about 1:32. It's more like 1:25-1:28 for specimens called Allosaurus. Do with that what you will. This replaces the smaller, broader-hipped CollectA Saurophaganax. (I always disliked the Rebor one.)

With its contemporary Torvosaurus.

Besides being the most biologically sensible way to exist, 'lips' in the loose sense make dinosaurs look so much more dignified and realistic, rather than something that's in the process of swallowing its own chin.

Mattel Kileskus
Scale: 1:18
Released: 2024
Middle Jurassic of Laurasia
By Mattel standards, this isn't too bad. The skull shape isn't exactly what I'd call correct, but it gives a general impression of the animal that isn't too misleading.

With some other Jurassic critters at a similar scale.

CollectA Dearc
Scale: 1:2
Middle Jurassic of Laurasia
CollectA says this is 1:3, but it runs a bit large, like their other deluxe pterosaurs. This is probably a record for how quickly a toy was produced of a newly described pterosaur (this one was 2022). The lightly modified gannet coloration looks pretty decent.

With another giant British Jurassic pterosaur, and what is still my favorite Rebor figure.

PNSO Lufengosaurus
Scale: 1:30
Sculptor: Zhao Chuang or someone in his workshop
Early Jurassic of Laurasia
PNSO is pretty allergic to the first half of the Jurassic, so this was a nice surprise from them. I'd say it's the nicest "prosauropod" to ever be made in PVC. This replaces the larger hollow vinyl version from 8 years ago--they've come a long way since then!

I like the touch of color on the tail, reminiscent of many lizards.

With an approximate contemporary from the other side of the world.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator OK, if Showanna made that Sinosaurus in PVC I would go for it, although considering how many up-and-coming companies are based in China, there's a strong chance someone will beat them to the punch. I've been looking for the Recur version for years, but as far as I can tell Mattyonyx is the only person outside of China who owns one.

Quote from: Primeval12 on May 24, 2024, 04:21:41 AMI feel like PNSO is also about to drop a Sinosaurus. For now, I use the Schleich Dilophosaurus as one... ew...

Well, I've been using the hideous IToy one based on JP, which is not any better.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Concavenator

Congrats on the new batch!

It is interesting to finally have a good rhamphorhynchid like that on the market, but its huge size is going to be a deal-breaker for a folk or two.  :P And while this trend of making figures of newly-released taxa can be interesting, it can also overshadow other, historically more important and better-understood taxa. Yes, there is now a good Dearc on the market, which is good, although AFAIK, there is still not a comparable Rhamphorhynchus, despite the latter being the more important animal, and which also happens to be known from many well-preserved specimens. I guess this trend is also what has made the wait for good Chasmosaurus figures take so long, but we got CollectA's (fragmentary) Mercuriceratops before. Oh and speaking about Chasmosaurus, will you get HLG's? I highly recommend it! And trust me, you'd save a good amount of space with it as a replacement for the BotM.  ;D

I think the main motivation behind PNSO revisiting Lufengosaurus is that it's a local species, because when basal sauropodomorphs are concerned, Plateosaurus is usually the go-to option (if we can call it like that, because the best ones are still those two from Kaiyodo, released in 2004  :P ). That, and that they previously made a model of it which they may have wanted to update. They could also have thought: "if we make this, some people will be excited, as it's something innovative", and voilà. I guess this means they're in no hurry to make a Plateosaurus after this, but I'd like to be proven wrong. Like I think a Dilophosaurus from PNSO is also less likely than a Sinosaurus by them.

About Showanna, the Sinosaurus would indeed be the most unique choice if we consider the rest of their resin models (except perhaps the fragmentary Ilokelesia), so it would make for a nice choice, but let's hope after the initial Tyrannosaurus they offer something more interesting...

I also expect someone to beat them to Sinosaurus though, I think it's likely PNSO will release a model of it soonish, maybe even this year.

Sim

I think that close-up of the PNSO Saurophaganax and Torvosaurus shows how much PNSO has improved from one to the other.  I think Safari will release a Torvosaurus soon, otherwise I'd wish PNSO would produce an updated version.

Did your replacement REBOR dragonfly lose a wing too or is that the broken one you showed ages ago?  The CollectA Dearc and Dimorphodon look good together.  I hope CollectA will eventually make mini versions of those two.

The PNSO Lufengosaurus is outstanding, good photos of it!

I've been thinking about future prehistoric animal figure releases as I think we've reached a point where most of the more popular species have been made well and I think the interest is shifiting to less famous species.  Sinosaurus is one of these species which there is growing interest in now and it's quite distinctive, so I think we will see a figure of it in the relatively near future.  I certainly would like to have a figure of it!  Be it from PNSO, Showanna, Haolonggood, Safari...

bmathison1972

I've acquired the Lufengosaurus already, too, and love it!

Primeval12

I'm glad you joined the Saurophaganax cult. It's genuinely my favorite thing in my collection currently. Also I need to get that Lufengosaurus but I'm waiting for a sale.

Halichoeres

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Quote from: Concavenator on May 29, 2024, 11:26:28 AMIt is interesting to finally have a good rhamphorhynchid like that on the market, but its huge size is going to be a deal-breaker for a folk or two.  :P And while this trend of making figures of newly-released taxa can be interesting, it can also overshadow other, historically more important and better-understood taxa. Yes, there is now a good Dearc on the market, which is good, although AFAIK, there is still not a comparable Rhamphorhynchus, despite the latter being the more important animal, and which also happens to be known from many well-preserved specimens. I guess this trend is also what has made the wait for good Chasmosaurus figures take so long, but we got CollectA's (fragmentary) Mercuriceratops before. Oh and speaking about Chasmosaurus, will you get HLG's? I highly recommend it! And trust me, you'd save a good amount of space with it as a replacement for the BotM.  ;D
If we're talking historically important, I would actually choose Scaphognathus over Rhamphorhynchus. But yeah, I would like to see some of the established ones made in addition to newer genera. I mean, there isn't even a decent Pterodactylus! As for Chasmosaurus, yes, I plan to get it, but I'm waiting for the next wave of HLG figures to hit Happy Hen (I prefer not to ship my figures overseas individually when I can avoid it).

Quote from: Concavenator on May 29, 2024, 11:26:28 AMAbout Showanna, the Sinosaurus would indeed be the most unique choice if we consider the rest of their resin models (except perhaps the fragmentary Ilokelesia), so it would make for a nice choice, but let's hope after the initial Tyrannosaurus they offer something more interesting...
Yeah, Sinosaurus would be my top choice from Showanna if someone else doesn't get there first, although I would still buy the Ilokelesia because at least it isn't Carnotaurus again!

Quote from: Sim on May 29, 2024, 04:08:30 PMI think that close-up of the PNSO Saurophaganax and Torvosaurus shows how much PNSO has improved from one to the other.  I think Safari will release a Torvosaurus soon, otherwise I'd wish PNSO would produce an updated version.
They certainly have improved. A Safari Torvosaurus could happen, I don't think they've ever made a megalosauroid other than (many) spinosaurids.

Quote from: Sim on May 29, 2024, 04:08:30 PMDid your replacement REBOR dragonfly lose a wing too or is that the broken one you showed ages ago?  The CollectA Dearc and Dimorphodon look good together.  I hope CollectA will eventually make mini versions of those two.
It's the same broken one. I still have one intact copy, but the broken one makes more sense in action scenes like this!

Quote from: Sim on May 29, 2024, 04:08:30 PMThe PNSO Lufengosaurus is outstanding, good photos of it!
It is a photogenic figure!

Quote from: Sim on May 29, 2024, 04:08:30 PMI've been thinking about future prehistoric animal figure releases as I think we've reached a point where most of the more popular species have been made well and I think the interest is shifiting to less famous species.  Sinosaurus is one of these species which there is growing interest in now and it's quite distinctive, so I think we will see a figure of it in the relatively near future.  I certainly would like to have a figure of it!  Be it from PNSO, Showanna, Haolonggood, Safari...
I like to think interest is shifting toward less famous species, but I'm not sure it's true. But if any clade will get some of its less famous members made, it's certainly theropods.

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 29, 2024, 04:11:07 PMI've acquired the Lufengosaurus already, too, and love it!
Best PNSO figure in a couple years, to my mind!

Quote from: Primeval12 on May 29, 2024, 04:14:03 PMI'm glad you joined the Saurophaganax cult. It's genuinely my favorite thing in my collection currently. Also I need to get that Lufengosaurus but I'm waiting for a sale.
Well, it might also end up being my Allosaurus...I do prefer it to Safari's, which is saying something, since I have usually preferred Safari's theropods to PNSO's.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 30, 2024, 03:49:48 AMIf we're talking historically important, I would actually choose Scaphognathus over Rhamphorhynchus.
I think they have equal importance.  Scaphognathus showed pterosaurs were covered in filaments, while Rhamphorhynchus showed long-tailed pterosaurs had crests on the end of their tails.  Both are known from exceptionally good fossils and I think really should have good figures.  They were also named in the same year...  Almost 200 years ago!

Halichoeres

Mattel Guaibasaurus
Scale: 1:13 or thereabouts, but proportions are pretty weird
Late Triassic
Etymology: After the Guaíba basin in Brazil, + Gr. "lizard"
One of those instances where Mattel probably made the toy first and then chose a name more or less at random to append to it. Guaibasaurus was probably a sauropodomorph, but it was basal enough that it could be mistaken for a theropod. But it wouldn't have looked like this. Still, new genus, so needs must.

Safari does the Triassic so much better.

Planeta DeAgostini Microcleidus (Super Sea Animals)
Scale: 1:16
Early Jurassic
Etymology: Gr. "small clavicle [literally 'key']"
This one's not from the Triassic, but it goes with some of the others here. It doesn't especially resemble a Microcleidus, instead looking like an old-fashioned swan-necked Elasmosaurus. One of those occasional rubber blind bag figures that catches my eye for its uniqueness. By itself it might not have gotten me to pull the trigger, but it wasn't by itself.

DeAgostini has made better sauropterygians, although that's not a high bar to clear.

Planeta DeAgostini Anaschisma (="Koskinonodon")  (Super Sea Animals)
Scale: 1:13
Late Triassic
Etymology: Gr. "split up" or "torn up"
DeAgostini sells this as Koskinonodon browni specifically, which is very helpful given that no autapomorphies are discernible on this rubber monster. Anaschisma is a senior synonym and the name currently in use. It was a large metoposaurid temnospondyl, and can be found in Triassic rocks all over the western US, including the formation where Poposaurus was found.

This hasn't always been true for DeAgostini, but these bear a little "DeA" logo.

Obviously not up to the standard of CollectA's Koolasuchus.

Planeta DeAgostini Cymbospondylus (Super Sea Animals)
Scale: 1:55 for a large specimen
Middle Triassic
Etymology: Gr. "cup vertebra"
It's a little surprising to me that there aren't more figures of this animal--it's huge, well-preserved, and reasonably distinctive. But then again, there hasn't been a decent Shonisaurus in 20 years.

PNSO's Himalayasaurus could kinda-sorta stand in for Cymbospondylus.

Animal Planet Dinocephalosaurus
Scale: depends on what you measure
Released: 2024?
Middle Triassic
Etymology: Gr. "terrible-headed lizard"
One of the highly diverse early archosauromorphs kicking around in the first half of the Triassic. What a weird place Earth was then! I think Dinocephalosaurus has generally been thought of as a smaller animal than Tanystropheus, but there are fossils that put them at roughly the same maximum size. The skull is shaped pretty differently, however. Both animals are just big enough that they could work at 1:35 if PNSO or Haolonggood wanted to bother with non-dinosaurs. This figure is from a series made for the Geological Museum of Guizhou, so it seems to be of at least some local interest in China.

The museum in Guizhou is supposed to have an Atopodentatus coming soon, too:

And Shanghai's museum might soon have a plesiosaur:

It appears to be based on this model (photograph by brontosauruschuck)...

...which Dr. Admin found too crude to identify. I wonder if a toy in this silly format is what will finally reveal the identity of the Shanghai model.

Anyway, here's the Dinocephalosaurus with some other Triassic silliness for scale.

Quote from: Sim on June 01, 2024, 01:13:33 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 30, 2024, 03:49:48 AMIf we're talking historically important, I would actually choose Scaphognathus over Rhamphorhynchus.
I think they have equal importance.  Scaphognathus showed pterosaurs were covered in filaments, while Rhamphorhynchus showed long-tailed pterosaurs had crests on the end of their tails.  Both are known from exceptionally good fossils and I think really should have good figures.  They were also named in the same year...  Almost 200 years ago!

Well regardless of rank they're both pretty important and they should both have good figures. Pterodactlyus too!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: