News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Australian Age of Dinosaurs from Minizoo

Started by triceratops83, May 12, 2015, 02:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joossa

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on May 15, 2015, 06:55:29 PM
I keep hoping someone will uncover more remains of Rapator someday.

Me too, along with all the other Australian dinosaurs that are known from one or a few bones (i.e. pretty much everything except Minmi and Muttaburrasaurus).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ItsTwentyBelow

Oh boy, I am so excited to hear that these will be plastic models, comparable to Battat or Wild Safari, rather than metal models or professional unpainted kits.

This is what we need to fill in the Carnegie vacuum, a brand new line of high quality figures. July is around the corner! Excited to see the other three animals.

John

I'm hoping that the other three will be the same as what's in their latest model series that they have in gold,silver,bronze, and pewter.In addition to Austraovenator wintonensis"Banjo",that would be Damatinasaurus matidae "Matilda",Muttaburrasaurus langdoni "Molly",and Minmi paravertebra "Buster". ;D
The Australovenator in the metal set is from the same 3D scan as the upcoming plastic figure,just in a different pose.That means if you are wondering what the other species would be like,the metal set should give you a good idea of how they would appear (but not what pose they would be in though).
They can be seen on this page from Australin Age of Dinosaurs:
http://australianageofdinosaurs.com/shop3-merch.php
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

sauroid

i hope they'd be painted properly (REBOR/Papo style and not glossy)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

ZaZZU2

Quote from: sauroid on May 16, 2015, 07:37:21 AM
i hope they'd be painted properly (REBOR/Papo style and not glossy)

AMEN!!!

Daspletodave

I wonder if this will just be a "short run" series (it would have to be if they're just going to do Australian species). I won't get too excited until I see the plastic production version. Like someone already said, those claws are way too sharp for a toy.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: John on May 16, 2015, 07:25:49 AM
I'm hoping that the other three will be the same as what's in their latest model series that they have in gold,silver,bronze, and pewter.In addition to Austraovenator wintonensis"Banjo",that would be Damatinasaurus matidae "Matilda",Muttaburrasaurus langdoni "Molly",and Minmi paravertebra "Buster". ;D
The Australovenator in the metal set is from the same 3D scan as the upcoming plastic figure,just in a different pose.That means if you are wondering what the other species would be like,the metal set should give you a good idea of how they would appear (but not what pose they would be in though).
I actually would rather see an accurate Leaellynasaura model from them than a Minmi figure, I also hope that if they make a Muttaburrasaurus they don't base the model on Iguanodon like most reconstructions, but instead base it on related animals like Rhabdodon or Zalmoxes.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

John

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 16, 2015, 06:43:24 PM
I actually would rather see an accurate Leaellynasaura model from them than a Minmi figure, I also hope that if they make a Muttaburrasaurus they don't base the model on Iguanodon like most reconstructions, but instead base it on related animals like Rhabdodon or Zalmoxes.
Take a look at what the metal Australovenator is carrying in it's mouth... ;D
That means they also have a digital scan of Leallynasaura amicagraphica too,so it's not out of the question for it to be one of the four new models. ;D
And if you take a look at the Muttaburrasaurus,you'll see that it is based on the likes of Rhabdodon. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: John on May 16, 2015, 09:00:42 PM
Take a look at what the metal Australovenator is carrying in it's mouth... ;D
That means they also have a digital scan of Leallynasaura amicagraphica too,so it's not out of the question for it to be one of the four new models. ;D
And if you take a look at the Muttaburrasaurus,you'll see that it is based on the likes of Rhabdodon. :)
The tail does seem a bit short though...

Doesn't look very much like a rhabdodont though, maybe more like Tenontosaurus:

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

John

Quote from: Daspletodave on May 16, 2015, 01:50:29 PM
I wonder if this will just be a "short run" series (it would have to be if they're just going to do Australian species). I won't get too excited until I see the plastic production version. Like someone already said, those claws are way too sharp for a toy.
If I were a betting man,then I would put everything on it being a short run series to be honest. :)

docronnie

Hope they're not so expensive, but this is really exciting. :D
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Sim

Thanks for the info and photos, triceratops83 and MiniZoo!  This line of figures looks very good!  I think it's great that people are proud of the dinosaurs (and other prehistoric animals) from where they're from.  It's really awesome to then go and make a set of figures of them!  I would really like it if something like this would happen over here in the UK...  I find lines of prehistoric animal figures from a specific part of the world are a nice idea and they tend to result in figures for species which would otherwise be neglected, perhaps since most prehistoric figure lines are mostly composed of North American dinosaurs.

The Australovenator looks really nice!  I was wondering if the reason it's featherless is due to it being restored as an allosauroid?  It's classified as an allosauroid on the Australian Age of Dinosaurs website: http://australianageofdinosaurs.com/dino-australovenator.php  I've looked into the megaraptoran classification again, and I think it's more likely they are tyrannosauroids.  I'm definitely still interested in this Australovenator figure though, it looks really great!

Quote from: triceratops83 on May 13, 2015, 02:07:51 PM
There's a lot of animals from the inland sea as well, so it'd be great to get a Kronosaurus, Platypteridgius, and others.
Yeah, that would be great!  I can imagine this line making a stunning and accurate Kronosaurus figure.  Both the Carnegie and Schleich versions of this animal have so many mistakes that add up and result in two toys that don't look much like a Kronosaurus, or any pliosaur for that matter: http://dinotoyblog.com/tag/kronosaurus/

Thanks for that, John!  The Muttaburrasaurus looks like it's walking quadrupedally, which apparently wasn't possible for it.  Either way, if it gets a plastic figure (which would be nice), I think it would look better in a bipedal pose.

I look forward to seeing the final plastic version of the Australovenator, and other figures in this series!

stargatedalek

I like the look of that australovenator, and the line definitely has potential... But I just can't bring myself to jump at it just yet. Between the shrink wrapping and lack of feathers I'm not going to jump at it for its accuracy, but I'll wait until I see the final production piece and its price tag before I cast any verdicts on whether it will find a place in my collection.

John

You're welcome,Sim! The one I'm hoping for the most is Minmi. It would make a nice compliment to the Sauropelta that just turned up from Safari. :D

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 17, 2015, 03:10:07 AM
I like the look of that australovenator, and the line definitely has potential... But I just can't bring myself to jump at it just yet. Between the shrink wrapping and lack of feathers I'm not going to jump at it for its accuracy, but I'll wait until I see the final production piece and its price tag before I cast any verdicts on whether it will find a place in my collection.
I can't say for sure when it comes to species known from so few remains as Australovenator (and frustratingly,most known Australian dinosaurs...) but in the case of Minmi paravertebra,based on the metal set I can tell you that one will be accurate if they do end up using it. ;D

Meso-Cenozoic

Wow, that Australovenator is absolutely stunning! Congrats!! I can't wait to see the others and all of their paint-ups!

With its approximate size being listed at about 3 1/2 inches tall, has anyone, or could anyone make a calculated guess at what scale this might be? Thanks!

Halichoeres

If the overall height of the animal was about 7 feet, and it's about 3.5 inches tall, that's about 1:25-1:30 scale. But that depends on what they mean by 3.6 inches tall--at the hips? The head? The tip of the tail, which would be the part that matters for shipping and stocking purposes?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 19, 2015, 04:30:02 AM
If the overall height of the animal was about 7 feet, and it's about 3.5 inches tall, that's about 1:25-1:30 scale. But that depends on what they mean by 3.6 inches tall--at the hips? The head? The tip of the tail, which would be the part that matters for shipping and stocking purposes?

Good job. Thanks!

I think the rep from Minizoo was referring to the head because they were commenting on the pic with the coin...
"the coin in the Banjo picture is an Australian 50c piece which is 3.1cm tall or 1.25inches, making Banjo approx 8.5cm or close to 3.5 inches tall"

MaastrichtianGuy

wait if theres a series of australian dinosaurs coming soon what about the colors for them

Brontozaurus

IDK about colours but as the Australovenator seems to be closely based on Travis Tischler's reconstruction I think it'll be in similar orange and black colours.

Can't wait for this, there's a dire need for Australian dinosaur toys that needs filling!
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: