You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

It appears some debit cards (e.g. Visa debit) can be used for payment, while others can't.

Sim

Flaffy

Quote from: Predasaurskillekor on November 07, 2016, 12:01:37 PM
If you do the preorder or if you pledge in the campaign, you can add items asking to David Silva until next summer, when the orders are futilled.
When all orders are confirmed (backerkit lockdown), produced and shipped, until then you can purchase remaining items in David's store.
I don't think you can just randomly add and subtract items from your order after lockdown, that would mess up David's schedule and confuse him on the number of items he needs to make for a product.

Sim

I've been looking over the accessory pack species to decide which I'm going to get, and something just didn't seem right about the Buitreraptor's head.  I think I know what it is now.  It seems to have teeth that are too big and not enough in number.  And as a result of the teeth being too big, the Buitreraptor figure's lips are larger which make its snout look too deep.

(image source)
  (image source)

The Buitreraptor skeleton above has around 29 teeth on each side of the upper jaw and around 22 on each side of the lower jaw.  The BotM Buitreraptor has around 11 teeth on each side of the upper jaw as seen in this photo https://www.facebook.com/113487525333128/photos/a.1154970781184792.1073741847.113487525333128/1523546794327187/?type=3&theater and around 10 on each side of the lower jaw.  The teeth of the BotM figure are noticeably larger than the teeth of the Buitreraptor skeleton.  The skull in the second image is slightly tilted making it look a bit deeper, I think the photo below shows the Buitreraptor figure with the head tilted similarly:

(image source)

Both Scott Hartman's Buitreraptor skeletal (http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Gondwana-s-vulture-plunderer-302856895) and Gregory Paul's Buitreraptor skeletal (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wdKBfB2k9asC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=buitreraptor&f=false) also show the Buitreraptor figure has teeth that are too large and far too low in number.

This is the number of teeth I counted on each side of the jaws (it was hard to count them so I might be off by something like 1 or 2):

Upper jaw
Scott Hartman's skeletal: 29
Gregory Paul's skeletal: 36
BotM figure: 11

Lower jaw
Scott Hartman's skeletal: 22
Gregory Paul's skeletal: 31
BotM figure: 10

Interestingly, Scott's skeletal seems to have the same number of teeth as the Buitreraptor skeleton in the second image in this post.

David gave the Troodon and Mononykus figures appropriately small teeth, so I imagine he would be able to do the same for the Buitreraptor too.  I'm going to let David know about this on Kickstarter and ask him if he can adjust the Buitreraptor's teeth and snout depth so it's in agreement with what Buitreraptor is known to be like.  I was really looking forward to the Buitreraptor figure (I was the one who suggested it).  As it currently is, its head is too different from what this animal's head is like for me to want to get it.

As for the other accessory pack species; I'm not interested in having a juvenile Troodon.  I think the Mononykus is very good and I will get it.  I think the Microraptor is good too and I'll get it as well.

Flaffy

That was the main reason why I switched my interests from buitreraptor to mononykus.
The BotM buitreraptor doesn't look like buitreraptor for some reason, and looks more like the inaccurate concept art.
Well anyways, I am starting to get really interested in the babies, they look a lot better (and cuter) than expected.
Very glad I'm settling on the desert pack.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 08, 2016, 06:07:21 PM

Same, it seems to be the nicest, especially figure wise. You don't see Alvarezsaurid figures that often and the colour scheme doesn't scream "EMU!" at the top of its lungs, which is a bonus. The chicks are adorable and part of me wants to add them to my order, if only because you don't see that many baby dinosaur figures either, but I wasn't a big fan of the detail I could see on the unpainted photo. It's probably because they're little and I'm being overly picky. Then again, the patter of tiny sickle-clawed feet would round out my growing pack of Velociraptor models nicely. Argh, decisions! :-\ I wonder if there is any way I can add to my existing Backerkit order?
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Flaffy

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on November 08, 2016, 06:17:19 PM
I wonder if there is any way I can add to my existing Backerkit order?
If you haven't locked it early then just add them like everyone else, but if you've already locked it down, you can ask David to edit/re-open your backerkit for you to access or add items to.

Sim

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 08, 2016, 06:07:21 PM
That was the main reason why I switched my interests from buitreraptor to mononykus.
The BotM buitreraptor doesn't look like buitreraptor for some reason, and looks more like the inaccurate concept art.
Well anyways, I am starting to get really interested in the babies, they look a lot better (and cuter) than expected.

I agree, the BotM Buitreraptor doesn't look like Buitreraptor. :(  I think the package art for it is worse, as like the figure it's teeth are too big and not enough in number and the snout looks too deep, but its snout is also too short and the nostril is not at the start of the snout where it should be.  I let David know the head is inaccurate on that package art, but he hasn't said anything about why it isn't being corrected or why the artist made it so inaccurate, which leaves me feeling they don't really care about it being accurate.  The head on the package art isn't even slightly inaccurate, it's completely unrecognisable as Buitreraptor.

I think the Mononykus figure is excellent.  I think out of the four accessory pack species, the Mononykus turned out best.  And it's the first ever alvarezsaur toy!

I believe the Buitreraptor will be the first toy version of an unenlagiine.  I think it can be a great figure too, if David gets its head right.

Flaffy

*Could've been a great figure. David's unpainted concept art looked promising.
Hopefully David will change it, but at this point it is very very unlikely, he still has to paint up the babies and sort out moulds and whatnot for the final week.
Maybe on the second production run, he'll consider retooling the head sculpt?

Faelrin

Of the accessory pack critters the Mononykus is my favorite, and the Troodon second. The Microraptor would be third for me, and Buitreraptor fourth, but mostly because I'm not too interested in it as a species (I hardly know anything about it), though I do like the color scheme for it. I like the accessory packs pretty equally, though the wetlands pack is pretty awesome with the water effect and splash base. I'll be getting the mountain and desert pack for now though to suit the raptors I've picked. I'll probably push on the stripey nestling pack if the budget allows for it, since I think that looks really good with the Velociraptor, plus I'd like to get a pack of them now since they turned out to be so cute. That Dromaosaurus pair with the mountain pack also seems like a teaser of what's to come for me, considering what I've ordered.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Archinto

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Blade-of-the-Moon

terrorchicken

is there another raptor the buitreraptor can be a stand in for?

stargatedalek

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 10, 2016, 08:33:05 PM
is there another raptor the buitreraptor can be a stand in for?
Austroraptor, although not in the same scale.

terrorchicken

yeah I can see how that could work...and yes, major size difference there.  ;D

terrorchicken

I just added the wetlands pack to my pledge. Whoo! so 2 accessory packs(wetlands, forest) and a velociraptor. Id like to add another raptor later when he sells them in his store. Id buy it now but Im maxing out on cash for this year.  :P

Victoria's Cantina

I settled on my Backerkit last month figuring I'd rather have full-sized raptors than accessory packs. But wow... he did a marvelous job on these. They're better than I anticipated. I especially love the wetlands... I'm a sucker for water effects like that, and I appreciate how he did the splash effect. I'm almost considering ordering all four of the packs and cutting back on the raptors I had previously signed up for... especially since Dave indicated on Facebook that he would likely have to increase the price of them next summer.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: