You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Victoria B on November 11, 2016, 05:03:57 AM
I settled on my Backerkit last month figuring I'd rather have full-sized raptors than accessory packs. But wow... he did a marvelous job on these. They're better than I anticipated. I especially love the wetlands... I'm a sucker for water effects like that, and I appreciate how he did the splash effect. I'm almost considering ordering all four of the packs and cutting back on the raptors I had previously signed up for... especially since Dave indicated on Facebook that he would likely have to increase the price of them next summer.

I take it there will be a second production run then? If so I can save my Christmas present money for other things and get the raptor chicks later. ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on November 11, 2016, 11:47:05 AM
I settled on my Backerkit last month figuring I'd rather have full-sized raptors than accessory packs. But wow... he did a marvelous job on these. They're better than I anticipated. I especially love the wetlands... I'm a sucker for water effects like that, and I appreciate how he did the splash effect. I'm almost considering ordering all four of the packs and cutting back on the raptors I had previously signed up for... especially since Dave indicated on Facebook that he would likely have to increase the price of them next summer.

I take it there will be a second production run then? If so I can save my Christmas present money for other things and get the raptor chicks later. ;)

I'm not sure if it'll be a second production run. It sounds like he'll just be selling leftover stock on his website.

Brontozaurus

I guess it depends how much demand there will be for a second run? The accessory packs all came out great but I don't want to go nuts and add them all in case I'm disappointed with the desert pack once it arrives.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Sim

Last Kickstarter update before orders close: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/posts/1736316

The colour scheme for the grey nestlings and the Forest accessory pack eggs was changed.

Brontozaurus

They look better than before IMO.

Did one final change to my order, added on the amber baby set. Figured I might as well get a representative of every part of this line. :P Plus, they're cute, and they'll go well with the desert pack.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Flaffy

I prefer the previous light grey nestlings opposed to the new one. Was really digging the subtle colours. Welp, one thing to drop from my cart. I guess that's a good thing?  ???

Sim

I prefer the new colour for the Forest pack's eggs, I found the old colour seemed to stand out a bit.

I prefer the old colour scheme for the grey nestlings though.  I found the subtle colours nice.  In the new colour scheme, I find the yellow that's been added to feathers on the head and hands makes it look like those areas are featherless due to the colour but at the same time feathered due to the sculpted detail, and it looks awkward to me.  I find the bright yellow hands of the fan's choice Dromaeosaurus look awkward for basically the same reason.  I'm not interested in getting any of the nestlings or the fan's choice Dromaeosaurus anyway though.

Dino-mite!

When did he say this? Did he say by how much?

I'm seriously tempted by the packs but may just stick with the main attraction for now. Funds are short  :-[

Sim

I don't know what David said on Facebook, but in a recent update he said this about the accessory packs:

QuoteHere are the final prototypes with all parts. I admit that these turned out more elaborate than I had estimated for and because of this I'm willing to bet that the price will have to be raised about $5-$10 when the remaining product goes up on my web store next year. But for you all right now, consider the current price of $30 each to be at a discount. They had to be this way, so I have no regrets.

This is the update he said this in: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/posts/1731953

Dino-mite!

Thanks for the link  :)

Well if I bought one I'd probably cave on the others. Wouldn't be able to decide between. Besides, no lack of mountains, rocks and foliage around here!

About the Zhenyuanlong suni and fans choice, are they completely identical except for the paint? The beaks look different to me, and because of it I prefer the Fans Choice. I think I remember the creator mentioning he was resculpting the original Suni, but all the recent pics still look the same and so is the pre-order pic in backerkit.  Is it my eyes only, or was the head resculpted and where's the pic?   

Faelrin

The head and wings were re-sculpted on the Zhenyuanlong. The head is a bit closer to the concept art now, then just the package art, and the wings are bigger now.

Also does anyone know if there's a way to change a credit card after submitting a survey? I have looked at my survey confirmation email, and when I click on the update your card link it just takes me back to the survey and tells me my card is on file. I asked this in the kickstarter comments, but I want to ask here to just in case.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

You're welcome, Dino-mite!.  And welcome to the forum! :)  Yes, the fan's choice Zhenyuanlong and the blue/purple Zhenyuanlong are the exact same figure except for the paint.  The only genus with two figures which differ in more than just the paint is Saurornitholestes where the head crest differs as well.  The parts shared between all the figures can be seen in the parts map below:

The Zhenyuanlong's head and wings were re-sculpted, as Faelrin said.  Photos of the new and old Zhenyuanlong prototypes can be seen in both Kickstarter updates and on the Creative Beast Studio Facebook page.

This is the current Zhenyuanlong prototype: link
This is the old Zhenyuanlong prototype: link
This is the current fan's choice Zhenyuanlong prototype: link
I think this is the only photo that shows the old fan's choice Zhenyuanlong prototype: link

By the way, dromaeosaurids don't have beaks. :)

LophoLeeVT

HOLTY MOLY!!! so much happed while i was away doing my youtubing stuff!!!
the baby raptors re VERY cute. i like them!!!
i have a small question which is larger, austroraptor,or utahraptor?
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Victoria's Cantina

It's a bit ridiculous how many times I changed my order! This is how it ended up in the end:

Velociraptor m.
Linheraptor
Sauronitholestes (FC)
Desert accessory pack
Wetlands accessory pack
Amber raptor nestlings

Originally I also had Velociraptor O. and Dromaeosaurus, but once those accessory packs and nestlings were revealed I knew I could create a great little desert themed diorama. As much as I'd still love to have those two, money is certainly a factor so I had to be sensible about what I wanted to accomplish with these. Perhaps next summer I'll pick those up, and possibly the other two accessory packs, but for now I'm happy and feel I made the right decisions. :)

Flaffy

Don't think velociraptor o. will be coming back... After all it's a KS exclusive.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 15, 2016, 04:41:48 AM
Don't think velociraptor o. will be coming back... After all it's a KS exclusive.

It's not. But again, money was a factor. I already was getting the orange one though, which I could also use with the hatchlings in the diorama. He did say he'd try doing another blue repaint of one of the raptors next year, so there may be something similar.

Silvanusaurus

Well, I had a last minute change of heart. I'd decided on the Velociraptor and Fan's choice Zhenyuanlong, but after re-assessing the images, I'm still uncomfortable with the Zhen's proportions... there's just something slightly too cartoony about the head, and I don't really like the 'beaky' look of the snout. As I can only afford 2 at a stretch, I don't want to have any regrets once all is said and done, and I'd rather those two be quite distinct from each other, so I've replaced the Zhen now with Balaur, my original second choice, as it has the large wings, and also contrasts nicely with the orange velociraptor.

I just want to make sure, does Balaur definitely now share the same large wing pieces as Zhenyuanlong? I'm finding it hard to tell from the photos without a direct side by side comparison.

Flaffy

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on November 15, 2016, 09:35:41 AM
I just want to make sure, does Balaur definitely now share the same large wing pieces as Zhenyuanlong? I'm finding it hard to tell from the photos without a direct side by side comparison.
Yes, it is confirmed by David that they will share the same wings, the prototypes however have not been updated yet (balaur), but will be on the final product.
I'm not getting the zhenyuanlong for the same reasons as well. Don't want to spend $35+ on a figure that is very obviously inaccurate. Such a shame, might get it if it gets a revision, but the head... Most likely isn't going to be changed.

Faelrin

Due to the credit card issues, my survey will be a bit late, but I ordered the Velociraptor m. as my pledge raptor, the exclusive blue Velociraptor, the exclusive signed print, the Dromaeosaurus, the fan's choice Dromaosaurus, and the Desert and Mountains accessory packs, and the Amber Nestlings pack. I dropped the Zhenyuanlong and Forest pack because of lack of funds, and due to having interest in the nestlings. Another reason I dropped the Zhenyuanlong is because after comparing my first four choices of raptors and their colors with this one, it didn't seem to work well with being with the others. Not to mention I would like an even number of raptors for now. Granted this is also the one many have accuracy issues with so maybe it is for the better to hold off on it for now, in case it's remade, even though the accuracy thing does not bother me too much.

Edit: Another minor issue I had with it (something easily fixed by a bit of paint though), was the orange snout (and maybe the legs). I preferred the more pink color of the package art. It may have been able to work with my others a bit better colorwise with that color instead.

Second Edit: Since my survey ended up being submitted late, I noticed it wasn't locked down yet so I went ahead and removed the Amber Nestlings, and re-submitted it. Payments for things hit the card today, as it usually does every month, so I needed to remove them to be sure the rest of my order can be covered. Will need to try to get them next year now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: