News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Feathered Dinosaurs

Started by Tapejara1122, July 08, 2015, 07:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Answer "yes" if you like the idea of feathered dinosaurs, answer "no" if you dont, or not bothered if you dont mind

Yes
No
Not bothered

Tapejara1122

Was just wondering how many people disliked or liked the idea of dinosaurs being feathered. Feel free to leave a reason!

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

I like both (scaly and feathered).

Although, it doesn't really make a difference at the end of the day. If the science says they had feathers then that's what I go with, regardless of whether I like the way it looks or not. Many modern animals are ugly, strange or silly looking, but they still exist. I don't think dinosaurs would have been any different.

Gwangi

No issues with feathered dinosaurs here. I was fully on board with the birds are dinosaurs hypothesis when I was first introduced to it by "Jurassic Park" in 1993. I was super stoked when Sinosauropteryx was discovered back in 1996. When Sinornithosaurus was described in 1999 I started drawing feathers on my Velciraptors! I was 16 at that time. I fully embraced feathered dinosaurs, I wish more people would. The fossils don't lie, why fight it anyway?

Balaur

Whatever the science says, I like. And yes, feathered dinosaurs are cool! I don't like scaly dinosaurs because they're inaccurate.

Raptoress

Depends on the dinosaur in terms of aesthetics. I find feathers on dinosaurs such as Velociraptor believable, but to be honest (and I know people will hate me for this) I just can't picture feathers on a dinosaur like T. rex.

I just think some dinosaurs were feathered and some were scaley. I mean, dinosaurs are pretty diverse and weird.

CityRaptor

Well, evidence for feathers and feather-like structures is becoming more and more widespread. I like them. Ofcourse I don't think they all had feathers.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

I like my dinosaurs without feathers because they're easier to eat that way.

[/troll]
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dobber

I'll admit that I was resistant to feathered dinosaurs when I first heard the theory, but I'm fully on board now. Though, I think some people go a bit far with it by making EVERY dinosaur have feathers. I think the Coelurosaurs where the feathered ones....and even then maybe not all of them.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Patrx

Feather everything! Scales are for squamates  :))

Seriously, though, it is indeed whatever the science says. These days, feathers are the parsimonious/conservative option, and scutes/reticulae/fragmented crocodilian-style keratin bits are more speculative (or in some cases, out-and-out wrong.) In any case, that's the great thing about animals - they don't care weather we're impressed by their looks or not!

amargasaurus cazaui

Calling "fowl" here...asking Patrx about feathered dinosaurs is like asking the mouse if cheese is good...or asking me If I have any psittacosaurus models....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

I most certainly do like feathered dinosaurs, so I had to answer yes naturally. But that's not to say I dislike scaled depictions outright. Retrosaurs have their own sort of charm.

Patrx

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on July 08, 2015, 04:19:53 PM
Calling "fowl" here...asking Patrx about feathered dinosaurs is like asking the mouse if cheese is good...or asking me If I have any psittacosaurus models....

Hah! True enough, that. I must, however, agree with StargateDalek on the grounds that I'm terribly attached to the Jurassic Park "raptors"; though I simply don't think of them as dinosaurs anymore.

Arul

I like feathered dinosaur  :) (only dromeosaur)

joossa

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 08, 2015, 08:53:47 AM
I like both (scaly and feathered).

Although, it doesn't really make a difference at the end of the day. If the science says they had feathers then that's what I go with, regardless of whether I like the way it looks or not. Many modern animals are ugly, strange or silly looking, but they still exist. I don't think dinosaurs would have been any different.
Well stated.

Now... on the topic of figures/models of featured dinos... I think they still have a ways to go to catch up with the quality of scaly dinos models. I think that mostly has to do with history and how featured dinos were only recently discovered. There has been some solid headway made in the last couple of years on that front, though. :)
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Dinomike

Feathered dinosaurs rock!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Plasticbeast95

Huh, Im the only one to vote "no".  :))

Mamasaurus

Really, animals are so diverse, bizarre, beautiful, or even dorky-looking that we'll never know for sure exactly what dinosaurs looked like. That said, there is a lot of evidence for feathers as a common integument, so I prefer feathered depictions of those species and their relatives.  I also enjoy some of the more speculative reconstructions, and so long as the animal is believable as a real animal, and there is at least some grounds for the speculation, just about anything goes.  :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Takama

Personally, i like Birds, so I like Feathered Dinosaurs which are almost like Birds.   I am a firm believer that ALL Coelurosaurs(From Velociratptor to T.Rex) had feathers.   Every other Meat eater like Allosaurus, Spinosaurus, And Masikasaurus appears wrong to me with feathers, until new evidence pops up.

Same thing goes for Planteaters.  Theirs no way A Sauropod had Feathers, and if they did, the would not show up on the hundreds of toys that are based on them.    Ceratopsinas im trying to learn more about. Psittacosaurus has those quills, but are they true Feathers? Same thing goes for Kulindadromeus. Is it really feathered? or are they just a new type of integument.

HD-man

Quote from: ARUL on July 08, 2015, 06:16:41 PMI like feathered dinosaur  :) (only dromeosaur)

What about the other non-tyrannosaurid coelurosaurs?
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: