News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Acrocanthosaurus: "Hercules"

Started by joossa, July 18, 2015, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 24, 2015, 04:09:49 AM
A) that is the vastly inferior pre production sample of the Guidraco.
B) no, there really isn't.  As I've already said the Guidraco has amazing detail work, at least on par with any REBOR piece.

I might be biased as I don't currently own the Guidraco. I thought for a sec, that you were perhaps joking when you said that it is on par with a REBOR piece. In other words, the overall quality of Guidraco should be somewhere between a Papo and a Sideshow. REBOR does a far better job distinguishing individual digits (phalanges) on their models. If we look at the REBOR raptor triplets, elements of the inner layer of the egg (a honeycombing matrix) is seen (refer to Jurassic Collectibles video review); it is an incredible level of detail (perhaps, even surpassing Sideshow in some respects). A problem with the Guidraco is that the articulated jaws have very visible seams, and the beak appears to have a plastic-like appearance (compare w/ http://dinotoyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/tupu2-700x466.jpg ). However, the Guidraco does appear to have rather vivid, realistic eyes and a very nice pycnofiber coating. It does look somewhat alive from some angles.

Viking Spawn

I don't own the Guidraco either but by judging from the photos alone, I just don't see it being on the same level as Rebor's releases so far.  It too, appears to be a striking figure and I will have to check it out in person the next time I see CollectA's products at the hobby store. 

As for any other Rebor releases this year, I simply hope they reveal "Ravage."  Or, at least, proto pics or some teasers of him/her. 

stargatedalek

As I've already said, extent of details =/= quality of details! Its just a fact of life that sometimes less is more. And the comment about the jaw made me laugh,  have you ever taken a good long time and really in depth looked at the REBOR Yutyrannus? Its jaw seam is amongst the most obvious I've ever seen.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 24, 2015, 04:52:41 AM
As I've already said, extent of details =/= quality of details! Its just a fact of life that sometimes less is more. And the comment about the jaw made me laugh,  have you ever taken a good long time and really in depth looked at the REBOR Yutyrannus? Its jaw seam is amongst the most obvious I've ever seen.
This.

In my opinion, detail is the icing on the cake. But it shouldn't be the main focus. The Guidraco doesn't exhibit as much surface detail as other models but I think the sculpting of its form and anatomy makes up for it.

I personally find the excess wrinkling/prune skin and overuse of texture on the Ceratosaurus to be ugly. There's too much going on visually and it looks a mess.

Nebuloid

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 24, 2015, 07:15:34 AM
This.

In my opinion, detail is the icing on the cake. But it shouldn't be the main focus. The Guidraco doesn't exhibit as much surface detail as other models but I think the sculpting of its form and anatomy makes up for it.

I personally find the excess wrinkling/prune skin and overuse of texture on the Ceratosaurus to be ugly. There's too much going on visually and it looks a mess.

I agree, I have all the Rebor figures but I can't get into the Ceratosaurus...

Rain

It seems you have a not-so-rare case of AntiReboritis ;)
Jokes aside, that is no where close to what you originally said, go back a page and read what you said. All you said was the detail is just as good as REBOR when it clearly isn't.

We're talking about literal detail, not anatomy nor accuracy, actual detail. I've always loved CollectA for their accuracy, but there's a reason their figures don't make it to my shelf(They make great desk companions though!). They just feel out of place with the REBORs and 2 sideshows..

stargatedalek

QuoteAnd I don't see why the CollectA Guidraco does any less well in terms of details or being "polished" than any REBOR or Safari figure. The Guidraco has an incredibly detailed and finely sculpted coat of pycnofibres, contrasted by the smooth yet realistic skin of its arms and throat. Its toes have scale texture on each of them, and its crest and teeth practically shine. Its paint app is incredibly lifelike, its crest is bright yet the stripes are subtly blended, the black and white coat is well blended and contrasted, its eyes shine with moisture and its teeth look appropriately pearled. But no it isn't the best choice, because there isn't a best choice to begin with!

I can't find where I said it has as much quantity of detail as most REBOR pieces do, I said it had details that were on par with the quality of REBOR's details.

My qualms with REBOR as a company are no longer personal and long faded, but I won't stand for any more of this elitist crap I keep seeing everywhere I look. Figurines aren't electronic hardware, there is no objectively best one let alone an objectively best art style.

utd7

I am so sorry I brought this 'Figure of the year' discussion on this thread, it seems to have become a Collecta Guidraco vs REBOR Acrocanthosaurus battle now. I am just excited for this figure and can't wait to see it in the flesh and displayed in my showcase along with the other Reborusaurus'.

I have to agree that the Guidraco from Collecta looks great and is really not expensive considering.
We live in a Jurassic World

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: Rain on August 24, 2015, 12:11:16 PM
Jokes aside, that is no where close to what you originally said, go back a page and read what you said. All you said was the detail is just as good as REBOR when it clearly isn't.
I don't understand why it matters? He is stating his opinion that the Guidraco is better, and neither of us have seen it in person so how can we tell him he's wrong? He is a fan of Pterosaurs, scientific accuracy, and has admitted to having qualms with Rebor in the past, so he obviously isn't going to look at a Rebor piece as fondly as you or I would. Those seem like perfectly reasonable reasons to prefer collectA to Rebor in my opinion and he wasn't condescending or rude about the way he said it either, so I don't see why you're attempting to corner him with semantics? His preferences don't add or subtract in any way to our passion for Rebor products, so I say let the man express his thoughts freely  8)
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

Fluffysaurus

I dont care which one is better/more detailed or whatever there is better. I love them both! ;D and Will get them both too. :) they both have something i like very very much :D.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

utd7

It's all a matter of personal preferences as Monkeysaurus said, I really like the Guidraco from Collecta but I prefer something from REBOR personally but that's my personal preference it does not mean I need to force somebody else to like it too.

Some people on this thread said that they find some details on the REBOR Ceratosaurus as ugly and I am fine with their opinion. I think they are wrong of course but I am perfectly fine with that. Compare Collecta's Acrocanthosaurus with REBOR's and you will find that it is no competition really even though I don't mind Collecta's but I think you will agree with me that 'Hercules' is vastly superior.

It's like comparing a nice BMW with a Ferrari.

Fluffysaurus

Hope Some new news comes soon from Acro, and i also cant wait for Rebor Dimorphodon.
When will acro see the light of day? I think its comparing Apples with bananas Yes. But i dont think we should fight About it. If someone else finds this better then that its ok with me. My heart goes bazooka About all kinds of dinosaur brands. I do have a collecta question so Will post that in the collecta topic.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

Rain

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 24, 2015, 08:46:39 PM
Quote from: Rain on August 24, 2015, 12:11:16 PM
I don't understand why it matters? He is stating his opinion that the Guidraco is better, and neither of us have seen it in person so how can we tell him he's wrong? He is a fan of Pterosaurs, scientific accuracy, and has admitted to having qualms with Rebor in the past, so he obviously isn't going to look at a Rebor piece as fondly as you or I would. Those seem like perfectly reasonable reasons to prefer collectA to Rebor in my opinion and he wasn't condescending or rude about the way he said it either, so I don't see why you're attempting to corner him with semantics? His preferences don't add or subtract in any way to our passion for Rebor products, so I say let the man express his thoughts freely  8)

In no way shape or form am I denying him his right to think the Guidraco is a better model, I'm arguing that it doesn't match up to Rebor's detail as that isn't a matter of opinion.

stargatedalek

But it IS a matter of opinion. Tiny details where you can see every crease and scratch on each scale may appeal to you, but I just don't feel like they look great on large theropods. There is no such as thing as objectively best details unless we are speaking about a particular object-able context (which "better" or "higher quality" are not). REBOR figures tend to have really obvious stand out details, the CollectA Guidraco is more subtle. Subtle doesn't make it better, but neither does "look our t-rex has scales the size of dinner plates so that you can see every one of them at this tiny scale!".

Shadowknight1

Quote from: utd7 on August 24, 2015, 11:09:15 PM
It's all a matter of personal preferences as Monkeysaurus said, I really like the Guidraco from Collecta but I prefer something from REBOR personally but that's my personal preference it does not mean I need to force somebody else to like it too.

Some people on this thread said that they find some details on the REBOR Ceratosaurus as ugly and I am fine with their opinion. I think they are wrong of course but I am perfectly fine with that. Compare Collecta's Acrocanthosaurus with REBOR's and you will find that it is no competition really even though I don't mind Collecta's but I think you will agree with me that 'Hercules' is vastly superior.

I was planning on getting CollectA's Acro until Herc was announced.  And after knowing that, I started finding the nitpicky things wrong with CollectA's, mainly in the spinal vertebrae which are not entirely correct.  So even though REBOR seems to have missed Acrocanthosaurus's enlarged thumb claw, they nailed everything else, so to me, Hercules blows CollectA's out of the water.  The color scheme would've had to be terrible for me to pass on this guy, and luckily it's everything I wanted it to be.

And stargatedalek is right.  Some people prefer subtlety in details, so yes, it's a matter of opinion.  So agree to disagree because you can't change an opinion. :)
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Rain

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 25, 2015, 12:58:36 AM
But it IS a matter of opinion. Tiny details where you can see every crease and scratch on each scale may appeal to you, but I just don't feel like they look great on large theropods. There is no such as thing as objectively best details unless we are speaking about a particular object-able context (which "better" or "higher quality" are not). REBOR figures tend to have really obvious stand out details, the CollectA Guidraco is more subtle. Subtle doesn't make it better, but neither does "look our t-rex has scales the size of dinner plates so that you can see every one of them at this tiny scale!".

Fair enough, seems I misunderstood you. My apologies if any Jimmies were rustled

tyrantqueen

Quote from: utd7 on August 24, 2015, 11:09:15 PM

I was inclined to agree with you until the " Hercules is vastly superior" part. It's like you're trying to have the last say in the argument by slipping that in there. I like Hercules and CollectA's Acro, but I don't compare them. To me, they both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Stargatedalek is a she btw.

utd7

QuoteI was inclined to agree with you until the " Hercules is vastly superior" part. It's like you're trying to have the last say in the argument by slipping that in there. I like Hercules and CollectA's Acro, but I don't compare them. To me, they both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

You are right there tyrantqueen, I contradicted myself by saying that and I retract it. I was tired and a bit delusional when I wrote that so I accept my mistake there. REBOR likes to have these hibernation periods where they do not post anything re: new releases and it irks me sometimes but they might be busy so I leave them at that but I am eagerly anticipating 'Hercules'.

Love them or hate them a new REBOR dinosaur causes a lot of buzz and excitment on this forum.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: utd7 on August 25, 2015, 04:39:04 PM
QuoteI was inclined to agree with you until the " Hercules is vastly superior" part. It's like you're trying to have the last say in the argument by slipping that in there. I like Hercules and CollectA's Acro, but I don't compare them. To me, they both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

You are right there tyrantqueen, I contradicted myself by saying that and I retract it. I was tired and a bit delusional when I wrote that so I accept my mistake there. REBOR likes to have these hibernation periods where they do not post anything re: new releases and it irks me sometimes but they might be busy so I leave them at that but I am eagerly anticipating 'Hercules'.

Love them or hate them a new REBOR dinosaur causes a lot of buzz and excitment on this forum.
No problem, thank you for the explanation.

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: Rain on August 25, 2015, 12:39:16 AM
In no way shape or form am I denying him his right to think the Guidraco is a better model, I'm arguing that it doesn't match up to Rebor's detail as that isn't a matter of opinion.
I know you weren't trying to deny her the right to speak, however I think you were (unintentionally) getting caught up in the semantics of the wording she used to describe her preferences. I think it's always best to look past the words to get the bigger picture - that her favorite model this year was the Guidraco - rather than trying to pin her down with the exact definition of "detail" in relation to her post. That's how things go off topic and become a "he said, she said" thing, which can make someone feel cornered or uncomfortable to speak - something we definitely don't want here. I don't think you were doing this on purpose btw, sometimes conversations just turn that way when people are passionate about something.

P.S Thank you Tyrant Queen for the correction, and to Stargatdalek - my apologies madam :)
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: