News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Acrocanthosaurus: "Hercules"

Started by joossa, July 18, 2015, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Great pictures Joossa!
I was going to ask if somebody could compare the Acro with other figures so Im glad you posted these. Thank you!
I think it is the best model that REBOR has ever made (For now) It looks fantastic. I love it, love the look, colors, the dead tenontosaurus...Almost everything about it
I really envy you guys who already have or ordered this beauty, mine will have to wait for a while...

QuelQuelQuel

Bit late to the show but posted a few pics next to the Rebor T-Rex for scale.
Size comparison:

Head closeup with prey:

Feet on stand:

Not as thorough or with as many comparisons as previous posts, nor with such a nice background. Just to echo the points that it stands well on both the base and a level surface, it uses over-large feet and the right foot is only touching the base with its toe to improve stability. I guess some people have a problem with large feet but for me having a plastic model that doesn't freestand is a bit of a waste so I'd always take the trade where possible. Mouth is slightly stiff and if you push too hard you could over-open and damage the hinge I suspect. To get the prey to stay in push it right to the back and try to be careful with how it sits on the floor (the prey does scrape the ground), but like balancing the T-Rex once you get the hang of it it's pretty straight forward.

Overall though it's beautiful, craftmanship is only slightly below the T-Rex but I think it's a far better designed piece with a much more striking appearance that doesn't rely on that JP menace. I especially like the color scheme which is better in the flesh and the golden pupil/iris with black sclera.

Dobber

Mine  just arrived! I'll ech the other reviews:
1) it stands fine, though the right foot is slightly off so only its middle toe touches the ground. It actually looks pretty cool as it gives the impression that it is moving.  ;)
2)jaw is a little tight but not bad, and it will stay open unlike the Ceratosaurus.
3) mine holds the Prey just fine
4)  Paint on mine is great, REBOR is usually great in this department second to none with how their production figures look.
5) Scales are a little oversized and overlapping in some areas, but it is really a minor thing and doesn't really take away from an otherwise beautiful model.
6) I just love this sculpt, particularly the head and neck. To me it some how has a serpentine or Eel like quality. It looks fantastic!

Best REBOR model to date. Excellent QC coupled with an overall wonderful sculpt and color scheme. With just a few minor negatives like the above mention scales and the oversized feet. Releases like this really make me sad that REBOR already did a Tyrannosaurus Rex ion the Stan Winsten/JP style. I would've really liked to  have seen what they could've done with my favorite dinosaur on there own instead of copying the Hollywood version.  :-\

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Viking Spawn

Papo and Schleich have both revised/revisited their T-Rex models...  I think in time Rebor may eventually do the same.  After all, it is still the most popular dinosaur.   And I would love to see a revised Rex "Reborized."

Silvanusaurus

My Hercules arrived this morning, but I only got to open him this evening. I have to say, this is my first Rebor figure and I'm blown away. It's a stunning model that really stands out in my collection, which doesn't include many super-detailed figures like this. Most of what i'd have to say has already been said so I won't go into too much detail. I love the burnt orange colour scheme, the skin folds, the tiny yet piercing glints in the eyes, and the sense of weight and power in the sculpt. One interesting point to mention is that I think the piercing, cold look of the simple eyes really makes this look less like a caricature and more like a wild animal.
I also don't mind the scales and feet being unrealistic, it seems to me that the rebor figures are very much idealised versions of dinosaurs anyway, which personally I don't take issue with. I can see how it's a problem for those after truly authentic reconstructions of these animals however.
I'll have to think about getting a couple more from Rebor in future, they certainly seem to make impressive display pieces...

QuelQuelQuel

Quote from: Viking Spawn on September 23, 2015, 07:18:08 PM
Papo and Schleich have both revised/revisited their T-Rex models...  I think in time Rebor may eventually do the same.  After all, it is still the most popular dinosaur.   And I would love to see a revised Rex "Reborized."

Begging for a "Queen T-Rex" if you ask me. Bonus points for a freestanding model with a base that also fits the King T-Rex and the theropod nest.

Arul

Very nice everybody, my Acro estimated arrive in 1-2 month...

Quel, off topic but where did you buy that collecta feathered trex ? :D

QuelQuelQuel

Quote from: Arul on September 23, 2015, 11:18:12 PM

Quel, off topic but where did you buy that collecta feathered trex ? :D

Everything Dinosaur :D highly recommend it if you're in the UK, ordered them both late Monday night and they arrived this morning. It's actually my first CollectA model, very nice design and surprising weight to it but the nostrils are poorly aligned and the seams are numerous and very visible. You can tell they make serious effort to make models as close to current research as possible and include lots of details (even the cloaca!) though which is nice. Beautiful colour scheme as well! 

Shadowknight1

Darn it joosa, you pretty much covered almost every shot I was going to take with mine to try and do my first review for the site. :P

As a side note, I think the right leg balancing on the middle toe is intentional.  EVERY picture I've seen of Hercules, even the pretty promo shots from REBOR show that the right foot isn't planted quite as firmly.  I also love how he fits in with my Papo-saurs, even though they're way out of scale.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Dobber

Quote from: QuelQuelQuel on September 23, 2015, 10:20:35 PM

Begging for a "Queen T-Rex" if you ask me. Bonus points for a freestanding model with a base that also fits the King T-Rex and the theropod nest.

True, but having the "Queen" be completely different from a companion piece would be kind of odd. It would need to be it's own thing not tied into the current "King" figure. Hope it happens though.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

joossa

Above all, this release has made me even more excited to see how they design the Deinonychus Trio "Cerberus Clan" that stole the rest of the prey from Hercules... Especially at the 1/35 scale. Should make for a fantastic display diorama. My concern is that they have been quiet lately... no news on the Prince Rex, the dead female trike, or the Dimorphodon pair. Not even a tease image for the next 1/35 model. I wish that female rep would visit and interact with us again.

Quote from: Arul on September 23, 2015, 11:18:12 PM
Why the long wait, Arul? :(

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 23, 2015, 11:49:26 PM
Darn it joosa, you pretty much covered almost every shot I was going to take with mine to try and do my first review for the site. :P

As a side note, I think the right leg balancing on the middle toe is intentional.  EVERY picture I've seen of Hercules, even the pretty promo shots from REBOR show that the right foot isn't planted quite as firmly.  I also love how he fits in with my Papo-saurs, even though they're way out of scale.
Don't let me hold you back. Post and review away. The more the merrier, I say.  :)

I would say your assessment of the right foot makes sense, except that I think the foot is too flat for Rebor to have intended it to be supported by the middle toe alone (i.e. the other two toes look too horizontal if the foot was intended to be raised like that). Not to mention the base looks like it has indentations for three digits for both feet. If that's the case, it falls back on them needing to do some extra work on getting their thropod feet to be produced better. They are pretty close at perfecting the execution. Let's all remember that last August was when they went public for the first time by announcing the Yutyrannus. They've come a long way. Take a look at the black and white prototype where the right foot does look rather flat. The one in the color image, however, does show the foot being supported by that middle toe as you state.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

QuelQuelQuel

Quote from: Dobber on September 24, 2015, 12:07:42 AM
Quote from: QuelQuelQuel on September 23, 2015, 10:20:35 PM

True, but having the "Queen" be completely different from a companion piece would be kind of odd. It would need to be it's own thing not tied into the current "King" figure. Hope it happens though.

Chris
I'm not sure about that, there should be plenty of scope for Rebor to do things within the scope of sexual dimorphism. Things like giving it a different colour scheme and "de-JP" the head etc.

Shadowknight1

Technically, wouldn't the Queen T. rex need to be bigger than the King?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

I would imagine that the presumably anatomically correct Queen T-rex would be released as a standalone product. It should not be related to the REBOR King T-rex.

However, REBOR did say something a bit more substantial about T-rex jr. I am not sure if jr. constitutes a part of the King T-rex diorama [along with the Triceratops(s)] or if it is a LE holiday special that will be a counterpart of sorts to 'Jolly'.

Arul

Cerberus Clan, what it is gonna be, cant wait for that !!!

Joossa, i dont know...Adopt-A-Saurus ID (indonesia) is recieving all rebor model directly from rebor. The delivery take 1-2 month to arrived in indonesia, and need couple weeks for import taxes administration. Well everything is slow in my country lol

Quel, very nice. This year collecta done very good job, i really want to get the feathered trex and swimming spinosaurus  :)

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: joossa on September 24, 2015, 12:39:48 AM
Above all, this release has made me even more excited to see how they design the Deinonychus Trio "Cerberus Clan" that stole the rest of the prey from Hercules... Especially at the 1/35 scale. Should make for a fantastic display diorama. My concern is that they have been quiet lately... no news on the Prince Rex, the dead female trike, or the Dimorphodon pair. Not even a tease image for the next 1/35 model. I wish that female rep would visit and interact with us again.

They haven't posted anything on Instagram in eight weeks, and everything for the last two months on Facebook has been mostly them sharing fan photos and video reviews. I must admit I'm a bit concerned about this as well... I think it's the quietest they've been over the last year. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but it is something I've been thinking about.

Viking Spawn

I've bookmarked their Instagram page and didn't realize its been THAT long?!

Rebor?  Are you still out there?!  SAY SOMETHING... PLEASE!!!!  Your fans miss you!!!!   :'(

Arul

Last time rebor visit this forum is 1 sept..

QuelQuelQuel

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 24, 2015, 02:11:17 AM
Technically, wouldn't the Queen T. rex need to be bigger than the King?

Would be amusing if they did the slender morphotype and named it something different to acknowledge that the females were the bosses. That way they could really do lots with plumage etc.

Invicta Hunter

Is anyone having stability issues with their figure?
I ask this because in a lot of the photos people have posted the figures look like their leaning a bit to one side.
In the past REBOR's plastic hasn't really been the best at holding up against leaning or weight issues so I wonder will the Acro end up falling over as well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: