News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Acrocanthosaurus: "Hercules"

Started by joossa, July 18, 2015, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 22, 2015, 12:50:48 AM
Quote from: Rain on September 21, 2015, 11:23:03 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 21, 2015, 10:21:23 PM
QuoteI see quite a few people saying the scales are too big. Can anyone elaborate on why this is?
The skin impressions we do have for theropods show very fine, pebbly scales. At the size at which the toy has been created, these scales would not have been visible. To be fair, it is a common problem that you see on a lot of sculpts, not just Rebor ones.

This is something I've always liked about the Carnegie line. The skin has wrinkles but you cannot see the individual scales. At the scale at which the toy was created, only the biggest scales would have been visible.

So will you be getting your first Rebor piece Tyrantqueen ? Or have you decided to pass on this one as well?  :o

I really hope she doesn't pass on an opportunity to own a stunning product because of that...I would love to know Tyrantqueen's in-hand impression of the Acro..
Despite my complaints with the scales, I still do like it.

When payday rolls round, we'll see... :P

Thanks by the way. It's nice to know that my opinion is valued :)

Shadowknight1

Personally, I kinda like the rough look.  Though I think we're getting to the point technologically where companies could probably do finer scales.

BTW, anyone else who has him...are you having trouble with him holding the prey in his mouth?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

joossa

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 22, 2015, 05:22:46 AM
BTW, anyone else who has him...are you having trouble with him holding the prey in his mouth?

Why do you ask? Are you having some trouble in that respect?
Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I can share input once it's here tomorrow or Wednesday.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Takama

I would like to know if anyone at alll is haveing issues with theres standing?

ChubbyTaco

The acrocanthosaurus and other new models like velociraptor triplets,theropod and sauropod nests are available at www.everythingdinosaur.com :)

Victoria's Cantina

Oh you guys. You made me go and order one for myself. Yay!

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 21, 2015, 10:21:23 PM
The skin impressions we do have for theropods show very fine, pebbly scales. At the size at which the toy has been created, these scales would not have been visible. To be fair, it is a common problem that you see on a lot of sculpts, not just Rebor ones.

This is something I've always liked about the Carnegie line. The skin has wrinkles but you cannot see the individual scales. At the scale at which the toy was created, only the biggest scales would have been visible.

Thank you for explaining this to me, tyrantqueen. :)

Silvanusaurus

How does Hercules compare in size to other figures from Papo and such-like? Are there any good size comparison images?

Rain

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 22, 2015, 10:01:44 AM
How does Hercules compare in size to other figures from Papo and such-like? Are there any good size comparison images?

Jurassic Collectibles compared it to the Rebor T rex. And it looked as if the Acro is about the same size as Papo's running rex.

Not exactly what you asked for, but this should give you a feel for what the size is like. Just trying to help :)

Shadowknight1

Quote from: joossa on September 22, 2015, 05:53:10 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 22, 2015, 05:22:46 AM

Why do you ask? Are you having some trouble in that respect?
Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I can share input once it's here tomorrow or Wednesday.
I can get the prey in his mouth off the stand, but as soon as his feet touch it, the darn thing falls out.

Quote from: Takama on September 22, 2015, 05:56:53 AM
I would like to know if anyone at alll is haveing issues with theres standing?
Nope, not so far.

tanystropheus

I think the jaw is supposed to clasp onto the prey's wound marks for a tighter grip...

empire3569

Sorry these are a little late, but here are a few pics; it should be noted that they were taken with the flash on as my shelf gets dark at night. Also, I measured the scales; they seem to be around 0.2cm, which at a 1:35 scale turns out to 7cm in actual size. Does this sound believable?

I am not having any problems with the prey staying in the jaw, but I think you really have to wiggle it pretty far back. Stability is pretty good as well, although the feet don't quite sit flush

tyrantqueen

Quotewhich at a 1:35 scale turns out to 7cm in actual size. Does this sound believable?
No, that sounds much too big. Like I said before, think fine pebbly scales.

Nice photos btw.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 23, 2015, 12:48:13 AM
I think the jaw is supposed to clasp onto the prey's wound marks for a tighter grip...
I do that and it still falls out.  I dunno.  Maybe I'll have different luck with the other one which should be here in the next couple of days.  I haven't seen too many QC issues out of this guy so far, so I may have gotten a small fluke with my first one and his blunted pinky claw.  Third finger.  Whatever you call it on a dinosaur lol

joossa

Got it in today. Took a bunch of quick shots. Please see my collection thread here for all of the pictures I took.

Some notes:
-Rebor did a fantastic job overall. I love the orange coloration on this. Rebor really excels in the paint app field. Also, the true color is an orange to orange-red. Flash and lighting do make it look more orange-yellow.

-The prey item is just as fantastic. You can see the ribs and the gloss makes it look squishy and wet. The neck wounds also look fleshy. Pretty gross. :)  The prey item is pretty long too and almost touches the ground when in the mouth of the model.

-The base is simple, but it works. It fits other models too, so it's versatile like the Ceratosaurus' base.

-The model comes with a foot tray to prevent leg warping and it worked. However, in my opinion, Rebor still has do do some work to perfect the legs on their theropods. Specifically, the right leg on my model is not planted flat on the ground. Instead, it's slightly tilted and the middle toe supports that leg. The model stands on and off the base, but that right leg is being only supported mostly by the middle toe. On the base, this makes the model a tad bit wobbly, but on a flat surface, it stands just fine. Funny, almost the opposite problem as the Ceratosaurus, but definitely not to the same extent.

-The scales do not bother me and are a VERY pleasing aesthetic of the model, IMO. I absolutely love the sculpt and the paint scheme and application. Just gorgeous.

-It seems like the jaw articulation works much better than than the Ceratosaurus. It opens all the way and closes all the way. It holds the prey item nicely. The prey is a little heavy, so you have to find a sweet spot for it to hold on.

If I would rank the Rebor 1/35 models in terms of my liking, I would say:
Acro > T-Rex > Ceratosaurus >>>>>>>>>> Utahraptor >>> Yutyrannus

Well done, Rebor. Bring on the next one!

Packaging:

Prey:

Base:

Model does come with a tray:

Some shots of the model:

Controversial, sexy theropod feet:

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

joossa

Articulated Jaw:

Maximum openness and it holds (I wouldn't open it past this point):

Holding the prey item:

Comparison Shots:

Finally, versatility of the prey item and the base:

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Simon

Great photos, excellent review!!  Thanks!  It really is a NICE looking piece.  Amazing how it has the identical pose as Doug Watson's WS Acro.  Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, Doug ought to be pleased!

Victoria's Cantina

Terrific photos, Joosa. It almost looks as if he can balance partly on the prey. It's too bad about the right foot not being flat on the surface, though both my King T-Rex and Ceratosaurus are like that as well. Mine should be here on Saturday... I'm really looking forward to it the more I see your great photos.

Dobber

Great pictures and review Joosa, thanks.  Mine should be here today, very excited for it!

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

POP of FAN

Wow, thanx for the photos, joosa.
Really helped me a lot. :D

Shonisaurus

Thanks for the pictures Joosa and the explanation about the sustainability of the dinosaur. And with this I am aware. These photos are welcome, of course make good team with Papo dinosaurs.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: