News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Acrocanthosaurus: "Hercules"

Started by joossa, July 18, 2015, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joossa

Quote from: SirGrooot on October 26, 2015, 08:38:42 AM
Quote from: joossa on October 16, 2015, 08:12:56 PM
I got home yesterday and he stood just fine on my desk again.  :-X
I'm in Southern California and we been having rapidly changing weather recently. Maybe that has to do with it. I do not have the prey in its mouth. The prey is in my Papo Allosaurus' mouth.  :)) And the base in in the box.

Regardless, that middle toe is his only support on the right foot. So, I'm going to give him the hair direr treatment to see if I can get that foot to permanently stay flatter and offer more support. I recently did something similar to a used Papo Spinosaurus that I received and it looked it it's leg was compressed by having stuff packed on top of it and as a result, could not stand at all. I used the hair drier on it and it has been standing normally for a week now.

Could you please explain this hair drier process in detail?
I'm interested in giving my Hercules some better balance so I can have him on his base with the prey in his mouth without falling!

Sure... Turn your hair drier to high heat and apply the hot air to the part of the model thoroughly. The point here is heat transfer. I find the PVC of Rebor models is very dense and hard. For the legs of the Acro, I applied heat to the right left for a solid 10 minutes. Be careful and use your judgement since you don't want to melt the model or damage the paint. For the right leg of the Acro, I applied heat not only to the foot, but up the entire leg to the hip.

After applying the heat, I stood the model on a level surface and with my hand, shifted the leg and foot into a more ideal position so that the right foot lay flat on the ground for extra support. I got a feel for how my hands were positioned on the model. Then, I turned on the cold water. I kept the model in the ideal modified position applying pressure with my had to the right foot, keeping it in the desired position. I carefully lifted it up and held the leg under the cold water for several minutes so it could stiffen back up.

Some have recommended putting the model in the freezer after the above steps. I didn't do it with the Acro.

See this post too: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3100.160
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Viking Spawn

Mine finally arrived today!   I'll be making an image gallery later this week.  I'm really excited for this one!   :)

Shadowknight1

Is your model still in the modified position, joossa?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Arul

Quote from: Viking Spawn on October 27, 2015, 04:35:24 AM
Mine finally arrived today!   I'll be making an image gallery later this week.  I'm really excited for this one!   :)

Great !! Cant wait :D

joossa

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on October 27, 2015, 10:55:41 AM
Is your model still in the modified position, joossa?
It's reverted back a little, but it has more support now than it first did out of the box. I also wouldn't call it modified since the result of the treatment was really just making the right foot more flat on the ground as it was intended to be.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Victoria's Cantina

Does anyone have any ideas what caused the warping feet on many of these Acros? I know the leg tray is supposed to prevent it, but is it possible it's actually causing it? I would suppose that the only way that could happen is if the tolerances for the tray were not measured properly, or if the model is packed while the plastic is still warm or settling (probably unlikely).

postsaurischian

Quote from: Victoria B on October 28, 2015, 07:32:38 AM
Does anyone have any ideas what caused the warping feet on many of these Acros? I know the leg tray is supposed to prevent it, but is it possible it's actually causing it? I would suppose that the only way that could happen is if the tolerances for the tray were not measured properly, or if the model is packed while the plastic is still warm or settling (probably unlikely).

The reason is REBOR is using the wrong material but unfortunately seems to be stubborn about this point.
So I think there's no reason to discuss this anymore.
With bipedal species it will always be a matter of luck what you get from REBOR. You either take the risk when ordering one of their figures or you don't.
That's why I hope they won't do any of these for a while.

DinoG

Was worried today as I was opening mine. I turned out that I am one of those lucky ones as my achro stands perfectly. Still the unpacking was unnerving and it shouldn't be like that, opening a new box is one of the best part of the experience of buying. At those prices Rebor needs to make sure the element of chance disappears when it comes to its theropods.
Run!

ChubbyTaco

Rebor's figures are all bipedal (except the limited editions and nests).I wish they would go for sauropods or ceratopsians.They could make the base more natural and bigger like ceratosaurus base.

empire3569

I think warping is the wrong word; if you go back and look at the official photos they posted, it appears the model the used has two feet that don't sit flush. I think the primary problem is with the mold, not post-production warping

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 28, 2015, 08:30:22 AMThe reason is REBOR is using the wrong material but unfortunately seems to be stubborn about this point.
So I think there's no reason to discuss this anymore.
With bipedal species it will always be a matter of luck what you get from REBOR. You either take the risk when ordering one of their figures or you don't.
That's why I hope they won't do any of these for a while.

As it's something that continues to happen I think it's worth discussing. Just because problems exist doesn't mean you should ignore or accept them. Not at $65, especially. The consumer really shouldn't have to worry about whether or not they're going to receive an item that functions properly. The main thing these models are supposed to do is stand on a shelf and look pretty. And if they can't do that, then what's the point?

Quote from: empire3569 on October 28, 2015, 02:11:20 PM
I think warping is the wrong word; if you go back and look at the official photos they posted, it appears the model the used has two feet that don't sit flush. I think the primary problem is with the mold, not post-production warping

Which goes back to why would they purposefully enlarge the feet for stability purposes if they're not going to sit flush on the surface? It makes no sense.

Shonisaurus

I understand that they do not respond to our messages because they are very upset with the comments of the members of the Forum which were removed months ago.

His attitude seems logical, but we already know such as boys. It can also be for reasons of confidentiality. I.e. secret professional as all companies do. Nothing is disposable.

The truth and truth from what I read on Facebook is that they are quite angry with the members of the Forum and surely (same is paranoia) we have ringed.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 28, 2015, 09:06:46 PM
I understand that they do not respond to our messages because they are very upset with the comments of the members of the Forum which were removed months ago.

His attitude seems logical, but we already know such as boys. It can also be for reasons of confidentiality. I.e. secret professional as all companies do. Nothing is disposable.

The truth and truth from what I read on Facebook is that they are quite angry with the members of the Forum and surely (same is paranoia) we have ringed.

I'm afraid don't understand 100% of your comment here, but I will say that if they really are ignoring customers who have legitimate concerns and problems, that is petty and unprofessional. Seems like the kind of thing you would expect from a child ("you were mean to me so I'm not going to play with you anymore")

This would have been a good opportunity to prove that they are the better person, and that despite the criticisms, they can rise above them and provide for their customers.

joossa

Yes, good point here.

To add to the communication discussion... I have PMed them here, but have not gotten a response. Looks like they haven't been back since September 1st. I, too, have noticed an obvious shift in their tendency to respond to FB users.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Viking Spawn

I opened this figure the other day and needless to say, I once again got lucky with no QC issues! 

This figure is truly impressive IMO and my favorite Rebor model so far!  (T-Rex is still my favorite Dino however!  ;) )

It stands perfectly fine with or without its base and can hold its prey without tipping!  Again, with or without its base.  So I'm very pleased.  Especially after I heard complaints from other members about having displaying issues which had me worried while opening the packaging.

My new gallery for this beast will be ready in a couple of days.  Again, very impressed and so badly wanting a Rebor Allosaurus SOON!!!!

POP of FAN

Quote from: joossa on October 29, 2015, 03:44:44 AM
Yes, good point here.

To add to the communication discussion... I have PMed them here, but have not gotten a response. Looks like they haven't been back since September 1st. I, too, have noticed an obvious shift in their tendency to respond to FB users.

Good point, really.

In the same context I don't think it is the problem of the plastic tray either .... if you look at this tray very closely, you can see that the bottom of the hole for the acro's right foot is a bit skewed and isn't flat to the floor in the first instance. So it seems to have been purely a design choice of Rebor...

postsaurischian

Quote from: POP of FAN on October 29, 2015, 11:08:59 AM
.......  .... if you look at this tray very closely, you can see that the bottom of the hole for the acro's right foot is a bit skewed and isn't flat to the floor in the first instance. So it seems to have been purely a design choice of Rebor...

In that case the ones who got the warped figures were the lucky ones this time ;D.

POP of FAN

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 29, 2015, 03:50:24 PM
Quote from: POP of FAN on October 29, 2015, 11:08:59 AM
.......  .... if you look at this tray very closely, you can see that the bottom of the hole for the acro's right foot is a bit skewed and isn't flat to the floor in the first instance. So it seems to have been purely a design choice of Rebor...

In that case the ones who got the warped figures were the lucky ones this time ;D.

Second that.  ???

Viking Spawn

Arul

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: