News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carnegie Collection by Safari Ltd

Started by Takama, May 08, 2012, 04:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

That looks very good for your first repaint.

Dinomike

Thanks Tyrantqueen! I'm very proud of it! :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Manatee

Yes, the repaint is great indeed. Much better than I could ever do.

tyrantqueen

Looks like Dan got inspired by Botm's comment about the two Carnegie velociraptors ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velociraptor-Raptor-Dinosaur-Safari-Carnegie-Lot-Both-2007-and-2015-versions-/251755933672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9dd2afe8

They look so good together I'm almost tempted to pick them up. They would make a nice compare and contrast.

Blade-of-the-Moon

lol  I think it's great when you can show something like that, our changing view of dinosaurs.

laticauda

Quote from: Dinomike on December 07, 2014, 08:12:31 PM
Oh, btw, the Diplo in my picture is my very first repaint. I wasn't too happy with the original paint. Of all the Carnegies I think the Carnotaurus, Spino and Miragaia are my favorites.

The color scheme is awesome on the Diplo. I love how the head looks.   

If I let go of all sentiment, I would agree that Miragaia would be my favorite Carnegie (for now). 

Arul

Quote from: laticauda on December 16, 2014, 10:19:33 PM
Oh, btw, the Diplo in my picture is my very first repaint. I wasn't too happy with the original paint. Of all the Carnegies I think the Carnotaurus, Spino and Miragaia are my favorites.

The color scheme is awesome on the Diplo. I love how the head looks.   

If I let go of all sentiment, I would agree that Miragaia would be my favorite Carnegie (for now).

Really ? i thought that was a drawing  :o awesome  :D

DC

To mitigate the tripod look almost all the figures are rounded on the bottom so if you add a small amount of putty to heels the figure balances on 2 feet for display.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Dinomike

Thanks for the kind comments iaticauda, Manatee and ARUL!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Horridus

That's an excellent first repaint (as others have noted), and we seem to have a similar taste in Carnegies. I only wish they'd plump for more quadrupeds, and in particular, hadrosaurs - I think they'd be an excellent fit given the way that the sculpting style has evolved (and the apparent restrictions imposed on the theropod sculpts). Carnegie Olorotitan, anyone? :)
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

DC

Carnegie Safari blew me away when I first saw it and I knew these were the kind of models I wanted.

There is range of variation in many of the older figures Triceratops, Apatosaurus or Brachiosaurus that must represent mold variations.  I wish there was a way to quantify the differences and match them with a period of release.

While not the first Museum line they are the best and perhaps the last.  That business model is not really being used any more.  The Wild Safari and CollectA series are more like the Kaiyodo model with artists driving the design based on company research.  There is more Collector input.  I love the 1/40 scale as a standard.  It really is not practical for smaller figures or very large figures.  Retailers find the size differences awkward. 

I think we are seeing the last of the museum endorsed figures.

CityRaptor

Not the last, given that Bullyland still has theirs. Although Schleich has stopped claiming that theirs are made with the Museum in Berlin years ago. Never believed that anyways...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DC

A little different Bullyland does not pay the Stuttgart. 

Arul

What do you think about the carnegie giganotosaurus coloration ? Do i have to repaint it ? Because based on national geographic said bigger dinosaur means have a dark coloration..

stargatedalek

Quote from: ARUL on April 07, 2015, 03:35:03 PM
What do you think about the carnegie giganotosaurus coloration ? Do i have to repaint it ? Because based on national geographic said bigger dinosaur means have a dark coloration..
Don't worry about it, that's a load of hogwash ;)

Large mammals are very plain in colouration, but this is because most of them lack colour vision and not because large animals are likely to be dull coloured. Dinosaurs almost certainly had colour vision as birds and crocodiles both do. Once an animal reaches a certain size it wouldn't need to be dull coloured, because either it would have to reason to hide from predators or it would be able to tackle large prey that wouldn't require ambushing. Large predators were probably not garishly coloured unless they were part of a particular niche, for example if they specialized on sauropods or on stealing kills from smaller animals they would have no reason to be dull in colour (and bright colours would probably be helpful to the latter).

National Geographic, oh how the mighty have fallen. I wasn't around for it but in their heyday they were a major source of scientific information. Now days however they are sub-par at best, rushed and pushy at worst. I'm sure everyone is familiar with Archaeoraptor, its a source of a great deal of nuisance and is often used to make extravagant claims against the existence of feathered dinosaurs (I could point out a number of fatal flaws with said argument even using only Archaeoraptor itself). We can blame National Geographic for that, they jumped the gun and in their rush to be the first to publish they didn't have the fossil properly checked and authenticated. They (and with some frequency) like to depict dinosaurs as under-feathered, broken-wristed freaks which are little more than stock  JP dinosaurs with feather alphas stuck onto them, thus spreading misinformation due to laziness of the higher ups and underfunding of artists. Constant and annoying references to pop-culture in nearly every article they publish only undermines whatever field they are discussing. Perhaps worst of all I've heard stories (not regarding paleontology mind you) of National Geographic pressuring researchers to hide their work and to not publish their papers until National Geographic could get around to covering it. National Geographic is not a scientific institution, they are a news agency, and they are the FOX News of science, take anything they publish with salt.

Concavenator

Quote from: ARUL on April 07, 2015, 03:35:03 PM
Nah,don't repaint it.

Arul

Thank you for the reply and yes i actually love the original paint of giganotosaurus by carnegie hehehe  :)

Tyto_Theropod

Me too! One of the models I will never, EVER repaint unless absolutely necessary(if the paint gets really worn or something)! ...Along with several others, including in Carnegie alone Cryolophosaurus, Carnotaurus, Amargasaurus, Diplodocus, Spinosaurus, Velociraptor, Albertosautus... okay, that's actually most of my Carnegie collection. I obviously just really, really like their colour schemes...  :))
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

amargasaurus cazaui

The ones I like best I get two of...one remains stock as is, and the other gets a redo and base. Best of both worlds....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerzā€”Glenn Jepsen

Tyto_Theropod

I've often thought of doing something similar myself. I'm planning on getting another Carnegie Velociraptor to repaint - the feathering is actually a bit more extensive than the paint job shows...
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: