News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on October 23, 2015, 09:40:33 PM
The absence of feathered dinosaurs is disappointing, but I suppose that was to be expected given that we got two this year. Perhaps in 2017?

Im just glad we got a Reletivly small Species out of this year.

Masiakasaurus is only 2 meters long

Raptoress

I'm not normally the one to be a critic and whilst I will still buy these most likely, I can't help but see a slight degrade in quality. There's just something off to me about them. I think I find them a bit clunky looking? I will wait until I see photos of the actual product before I say anything else.

John

It's nice to see the Wild Safari line continue so strongly that in my opinion,they have now even topped the Carnegie line (which was one of my favorite lines).One thing I can appreciate is the efforts to make the dinosaurs come closer to the real animals,unlike certain other lines who can't get over the designs in Jurassic Park. ;D
I especially love the Iguanodon and Shunosaurus.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Saurian

Quote from: Raptoress on October 23, 2015, 10:44:29 PM
I'm not normally the one to be a critic and whilst I will still buy these most likely, I can't help but see a slight degrade in quality. There's just something off to me about them. I think I find them a bit clunky looking? I will wait until I see photos of the actual product before I say anything else.

I agree, especially  carcharodontosaurus
Soory,my English is poor

Daspletodave

I'll be getting all of these. I think they'll look even better than they do in the photos. The Iguanodon is a must have - for such an important dinosaur it is surprising that so few GOOD models have been made of it. I can only think of the Bullyland version and the Toyway Natural History Museum versions as being decent. The other attempts - Collecta, Invicta, Toyway Walking with Dinosaurs, and Carnegie are all garbage.
The Carcharo looks like a repurposed Acro to me.

profnik

Check Out new for 2016.Good Luck Mini Woolly Mammoths

sauroid

i like them all. i just hope that the final products would look as good as the stock photos. (the Plesiosuchus video is a bit worrisome, tho)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

deanm

All look to be nice figures. 

My only disappointment is no pterosaur figure from Safari this year. I like their pterosaurs!

Simon

Another "homerun" by Doug Watson, our north-of-the-border friend - let's hope the Toronto Bluejays have a few more homeruns in their bats tonight, eh Doug?   ;D

Awesome figures as always Doug!  Better to have the larger dinosaurs in 1/50 scale than not to have them at all!!!

Meso-Cenozoic

Finally! Thanks for the reveal, Everything Dinosaur! The sculpts look great Doug, and I'm sure even better in person. As usual, I'll be getting them all. ;D

And a big thanks again to our Admin, Dr Adam S. Smith for his always welcomed expertise in this field.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Simon on October 24, 2015, 12:34:08 AM
Another "homerun" by Doug Watson, our north-of-the-border friend - let's hope the Toronto Bluejays have a few more homeruns in their bats tonight, eh Doug?   ;D

Awesome figures as always Doug!  Better to have the larger dinosaurs in 1/50 scale than not to have them at all!!!

Doesn't look too good, two homers off Price already and zippo from the Toronto bats. :(

Takama

Doug, can you say if the Shunosaurus is Bigger then the Nigersaurus (you have that model right?)

Gwangi

Not sure why the Masiakasaurus is getting so much hate, I love it! It along with the Shunosaurus are my two favorites of the lot but I'll get them all. A little worried about the paint application on the Plesiosuchus like Sauroid said. Also excited about the mammal re-releases. Great job Doug!

Takama

I like it.    ITs a species smaller then 3 meters, thats all i want from Safari, is more small species

Im preordering all of the Dinosaurs from Dans Dinosaurs.

Simon

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 24, 2015, 02:01:39 AM
Quote from: Simon on October 24, 2015, 12:34:08 AM

Doesn't look too good, two homers off Price already and zippo from the Toronto bats. :(

Great comeback, but the Jays just couldn't buy a hit with men in scoring position tonight.  Tough loss.  I really wanted to see them play the Cubs (what a homerfest), but instead the two teams with the better pitching will meet in the World Series ....

Doug Watson

Quote from: Simon on October 24, 2015, 06:04:06 AM
Great comeback, but the Jays just couldn't buy a hit with men in scoring position tonight.  Tough loss.  I really wanted to see them play the Cubs (what a homerfest), but instead the two teams with the better pitching will meet in the World Series ....

Yah that sucked, they couldn't stop swinging for the fences and play small ball.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Takama on October 24, 2015, 02:02:36 AM
Doug, can you say if the Shunosaurus is Bigger then the Nigersaurus (you have that model right?)

No it will be smaller. I scaled it to my Apatosaurus. I like to scale families or closely related dinosaurs the same or close to the same when possible. I didn't do the Nigersaurus.
My original is 6.75 inches long so there will be some shrinkage from that.

EmperorDinobot

I'm not fond of that Masiakasaurus.

Kovu

These look fantastic! I'm pretty psyched for them to start showing up on the shelves.

First impressions:

Iguanodon - I liked it in the promo pic, I love it in the new one. It definitely looks brawnier and the texturing is, as always on Safaris, next level.
We had the Gryposaurus a few years back, now with this guy I really hope Mr. Watson starts sculpting yearly ornithopods like he was doing with the ceratopsians for a while. He's clearly got a talent for them. The Iguanodon is off the chain and I'm loving it. It's a must have for me. Grade: A++

Shunosaurus - been wanting a good one forever and this sculpt delivered! The colorations are vibrant but natural and I like it's expression. My one complaint is the way the tail seems to be undulating. It just looks a tad strange visually. Not a big deal and this is definitely my #1 fave of the lot. Grade: A++

Masiakasaurus - I like it and it's always been a genus I like. I'll pick one up. The thing that really makes the figure is the paint job on the tail. I love the pattern and blending and I hope that the mass produced figures retain this. Grade: A-

Carcharodontosaurus - Looks great and pretty sizable too. It's on my list. I'm not a huge theropod guy, but I can't pass up a good one. Grade: A

Plesiosuchus - Like I've said before, this is the only one I'll probably pass on. Looks great and clearly a lot of research went into it. Like the color scheme, I'm just not big on non-dinosaur prehistoric figures. Grade: A

Overall grade: 2016 Safaris get an A!

Takama

Quote from: Kovu on October 24, 2015, 06:45:26 AM
These look fantastic! I'm pretty psyched for them to start showing up on the shelves.

First impressions:

Iguanodon - I liked it in the promo pic, I love it in the new one. It definitely looks brawnier and the texturing is, as always on Safaris, next level.
We had the Gryposaurus a few years back, now with this guy I really hope Mr. Watson starts sculpting yearly ornithopods like he was doing with the ceratopsians for a while. He's clearly got a talent for them. The Iguanodon is off the chain and I'm loving it. It's a must have for me. Grade: A++

I would love that a lot if Safari would let him do that. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: