News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

My impressions:

The carcharodontosaurus is fabulous is also quite large, and well proportioned. Looks very well and without pronation of front legs or arms. It is a wonderful figure goes has make the competition to my figure Collecta.

On the other hand the masiakasaurus meets my expectations is identical to the paleontological recreations, a good example.

The shunosaurus is perhaps to me the weakest figure, but is much better than the Collecta with a difference. Although as has been already said those colors confuse it with a flame. I would like a more realistic that animal representation even though it is a beautiful figure from my humble opinion.

The plesiosuchus is my first metriorhynchid and only had before the dakosaurus. Leftover words.

The iguanodon is an abyssal improvement regarding the ornithopods that have used dinosaurs from toy companies.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I do like that Carcharodontosaurus as well, but I can't help but be just the tiniest bit disappointed that it's not a similar size to the Carnegie Giganotosaurus. Oh well. I'll just pretend it's a not-entirely-full-grown specimen.  ;)

Super excited about that Shunosaurus though! Can't wait to get my hands on a Chinese sauropod!

MLMjp

Overal I am a bit disspointed.
I really like the look of the figures, but only the plesiosuchus is in good scale for me, the others are too small, too big in masiakasaurus case
I was so exited when I read that the sauropod was a Shunosaurus, but based on the measurements, its too small. :(

terrorchicken

finally! Im disappointed we didn't get a new mammal or a 6th dino though.

My fave of the bunch is shunosaurus, been wanting a decent version of this dino for ages!

the Carcharo is nice but I dont know what it is about Wild Safari theropods that seem off to me. Like their feet/hands/heads are too big or their bodies are too short. I still prefer the Collecta version.

BTW I love the new dragons! If theyre gonna make cartoony dragons, I prefer these to those ugly chap mei looking things they were making.

KeU

Carcharodontosaurus looks great. Really hope it scales well with the Safari Tyrannosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus. And it does have over-sized feet, but no where near the clown feet for Tyrannosaurus.
Lovin the colour scheme for Iguanodon and Shunosaurus as well.

DinoToyForum

The Plesiosuchus is the third Safari Ltd marine reptile I've had the honour of assisting Doug with, although to a lesser degree on this occasion. Plesiosuchus isn't incredibly well known so there was room for more artistic licence than usual.

All these months of :-X!

The other figures are great too, some nice surprises!

Patrx

They all look nice to me, but I'm not quite as over-the-moon about them as I was for this year's lineup. Mostly because there's not a feather in sight.

Definitely stoked for the Shonisaurus and the Plesiosuchus in particular, and the purple markings on the Iguanodon are unique and charming. It's nice to see Doug's take on Carcharadontosaurus, it's much less shrink-wrapped than CollectA's attempt and looks better-proportioned overall. I would be more excited about it, but I don't find the animal itself to be particularly interesting. Masiakasaurus looks pretty solid despite being featherless, though mine will probably undergo a repaint.

Overall, a promising lineup from my favorite western dinosaur figure manufacturer  :) I don't think I'll even be skipping any.

Halichoeres

Quote from: MLMjp on October 23, 2015, 06:54:56 PM
I really like the look of the figures, but only the plesiosuchus is in good scale for me, the others are too small, too big in masiakasaurus case
I was so exited when I read that the sauropod was a Shunosaurus, but based on the measurements, its too small. :(

I also like my giant dinos in 1:40, but I'm going to get the Shunosaurus anyway because I don't see another one coming down the pike soon. I would have loved to see the Iguanodon and Carcharodontosaurus in 1:40, because they're nicer sculpts than the ones I have (Bullyland and CollectA, respectively). Really stoked for the Plesiosuchus, and also the Masiakasaurus, because I like my small dinos 1:10.

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 23, 2015, 06:59:33 PM
finally! Im disappointed we didn't get a new mammal or a 6th dino though.

Yeah, super weird, what happened since a month ago, when they announced that there would be 6? They haven't announced toobs yet, so I'm clinging to hope...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 23, 2015, 07:45:21 PM
The Plesiosuchus is the third Safari Ltd marine reptile I've had the honour of assisting Doug with, although to a lesser degree on this occasion. Plesiosuchus isn't incredibly well known so there was room for more artistic licence than usual.

Perfect opportunity to thank you here Adam for your help with the Plesiosuchus, especially when you confirmed my observation that the hind-limbs were being incorrectly reconstructed in most artistic restorations. Going the extra mile and consulting with Mark Young on that issue was very much appreciated.
Also thank you once again for providing scientific papers that I didn't have access to for it and the dinosaurs.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 23, 2015, 09:16:16 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 23, 2015, 07:45:21 PM

Perfect opportunity to thank you here Adam for your help with the Plesiosuchus, especially when you confirmed my observation that the hind-limbs were being incorrectly reconstructed in most artistic restorations. Going the extra mile and consulting with Mark Young on that issue was very much appreciated.
Also thank you once again for providing scientific papers that I didn't have access to for it and the dinosaurs.

Always a pleasure!  ^-^

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 23, 2015, 09:05:14 PM
I also like my giant dinos in 1:40, but I'm going to get the Shunosaurus anyway because I don't see another one coming down the pike soon.

So, are you going to set the CollectA Shunosaurus on fire? :)

Roselaar

They look good, thought they don't seem as detailed as this year's models. But maybe the final product will remedy that assessment. Love the species choice here.

I'm guessing Plesiosuchus is unique for now? I also can't recall any Masiakasaurus models. Anyone?

Takama

Quote from: Roselaar on October 23, 2015, 09:28:40 PM
They look good, thought they don't seem as detailed as this year's models. But maybe the final product will remedy that assessment. Love the species choice here.

I'm guessing Plesiosuchus is unique for now? I also can't recall any Masiakasaurus models. Anyone?

Creative Beast made a Masiakasaurus

http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/masiakasaurus-resin-kit-by-creativebeast/

Roselaar

Thanks, only Plesiosuchus is totally new then.

suspsy

The absence of feathered dinosaurs is disappointing, but I suppose that was to be expected given that we got two this year. Perhaps in 2017?

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Quote from: Takama on October 23, 2015, 09:30:05 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on October 23, 2015, 09:28:40 PM
I also can't recall any Masiakasaurus models. Anyone?

Creative Beast made a Masiakasaurus

http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/masiakasaurus-resin-kit-by-creativebeast/

There is another Masiakasaurus toy too, the Dinosaur Train one.

Dobber

Ooooh! Carcharodontosaurus and Shunosaurus are definate buys for me. I also quite like the Iguanodon.  Very nice colors all around.   ^-^

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

joossa

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 23, 2015, 06:59:33 PM
the Carcharo is nice but I dont know what it is about Wild Safari theropods that seem off to me. Like their feet/hands/heads are too big or their bodies are too short. I still prefer the Collecta version.

I agree. I'm also disappointed we didn't get a ceratopsian for 2016.  :(
With most of these, I really want to see other pictures and see them in person. The stock photos of the 2015 models from this year did not do them justice at all:

My thoughts:
Plesiosuchus: Pass. I tend not to collect anything that's non-terrestrial. Nice model, though.

Iguanodon: Very nice and will probably end up getting it. Does anyone think the tail is too short?

Shunosaurus: Nice sculpt. I wish it had a different paint application, though. Would likely be great for a repaint.

Masiakasaurus: I'll likely pass. I do want to see more pictures of this one. That lower jaw is interesting.

Carcharodontosaurus: I want to see more pictures. I think I like the CollectA one better.

Here are the pictures:

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Yutyrannus

The Masiakasaurus is probably the only one that I won't buy. I quite like all the others, though, particularly the Shunosaurus and Plesiosuchus :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

They all look really good! Masiakasaurus though is kind of... meh. I especially love the Iguanodon and Carcharodontosaurus. I'm probably going to end up buying all of them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: