News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on October 14, 2015, 05:49:45 PM

It's good to see Safari prehistoric mammals being re-issued.  I'm not interested in getting prehistoric mammal toys, but they are great and I'm sure a lot of people are going to be happy to have them.  We wouldn't be seeing these mammals re-issued right now if Safari hadn't ended its partnership with Carnegie.  It's nice to see good as a result of that end, so soon.
Good point--I'd seen lots of lamentations for the gomphothere (was it Platybelodon?).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: TE Matt on October 14, 2015, 05:41:36 PM
Maybe the new ceratopsian could be the recently discovered Wendiceratops or Regaliceratops?

Doubtful. Doug said he completed the 2016 assortment long before either of those animals were officially announced. Personally, I'd be happy with a new Triceratops, as dull as that may sound. The old one is really showing its age.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

And there is still one more out there... ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 14, 2015, 05:52:10 PM
Quote from: Sim on October 14, 2015, 05:49:45 PM

It's good to see Safari prehistoric mammals being re-issued.  I'm not interested in getting prehistoric mammal toys, but they are great and I'm sure a lot of people are going to be happy to have them.  We wouldn't be seeing these mammals re-issued right now if Safari hadn't ended its partnership with Carnegie.  It's nice to see good as a result of that end, so soon.
Good point--I'd seen lots of lamentations for the gomphothere (was it Platybelodon?).

It is a amebelodon know because fortunately I have and it is a masterpiece, from my point of view.

terrorchicken

I really hope thats a shunosaurus, always wanted one!

Im really happy they reissued the mammals even though I already have them all. Hopefully it means they'll expand the line for 2017.

sauroid

the reissues could be a reintroduction of prehistoric mammals for Safari, and there'd be more new figures to come.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

darth daniel

I´m really looking forward to that sauropod! :) Hopefully it is a Shunosaurus. The head looks too short and stubby for Brachytrachelopan, at least in this low-resolution picture.
More and bigger pictures please!

terrorchicken

Quote from: sauroid on October 14, 2015, 06:17:23 PM
the reissues could be a reintroduction of prehistoric mammals for Safari, and there'd be more new figures to come.

thats what Im hoping! also be cool if the smilodon and andrewsarchus got a new paint jobs. I could use a new andrew anyway since mine has gotten too many paint rubs from falls.

Viking Spawn

Thanks for sharing that beautiful image Dinofiel!   However, its a definite teaser for that "Giganotosaurus?"  Of all that is revealed, that's the only I want to see the most and it is half hidden.   :P

Fluffysaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 14, 2015, 04:40:30 PM
Dinofiel, I want to credit the source for the image you posted, am I right to say you scanned this from Prehistoric Times?
Yes i did ^^, thankyou ^^ i Find them all amazing still hope there will be a new pterosaur. No species are named. Well have to wait for Safari Ltd for that.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

sauroid

i took off my eye glasses and stuck my face about an inch away from my monitor and that figure beside the Iguanodon does look like a short necked Sauropod.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

I hope we get individual photos and identify confirmations soon.

Shonisaurus

I think the marine reptile is a Dakosaurus, family metryorhinchidae

suspsy

It's definitely a metriorhynchid, but the head in that photo doesn't look wide enough for Dakosaurus:

But we shall see!

Takama

Quote from: Dinofiel on October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM
Here they are for those who want to see (scan from Prehistoric Times magazine).

[Edited to give source - Admin]

Thank you so much for posting the image :)     you made this Dino fan very happy

Kovu

I'm leaning towards the sauropod being a Shunosaurus. The head just seems too blunt and the neck not quite short enough to be a Brachytrachelopan. Either way, it's definitely the one I'm most excited about, followed by the Iguanodon. Obviously we'll need a higher resolution image/identification to be sure though. Also, totally digging the colors.

The alleged-Masiakasaurus looks good too, as well as the large theropod. Personally, I'm hoping it's a Carcharodontosaurus. From a business standpoint, that would make sense - replace the older model with a newer, up-to-date one to compete against CollectA's. If it's a Giganotosaurus, that could be a response to the Carnegie's retirement, but I feel like it's still kind of soon. Wouldn't they want to get the last of their Carnegie merchandise off the shelves before producing a competitor/replacement? IDK, I'm not a business major lol

The Metriorhynchid looks nice - maybe it's just me, but its skull looks almost mammalian. Very early-whalish. Of the five we've seen, it's the only one I'll probably pass on. It looks great, just not my cup of tea. I'm not particularly up-to-date on the marine dudes, so I won't half-hazard a guess to its specific identity.

As for the unseen sixth, I really hope it's a ceratopsian. If they were sculpted a few years ago, let's assume an absolute latest of 2014, my guess would be a Medusaceratops (2010), Xenoceratops (2012) or Coronosaurus (2012) if it's a newer-ish discovery (even thought I'm not 100% sold on the idea of Coronosaurus being a separate genus from Centrosaurus, but that's a conversation for another time and place). If it's an older discovery, I'll throw my hat in the ring for Einiosaurus, Centrosaurus or Chasmosaurus.

Quote from: suspsy on October 14, 2015, 05:53:21 PM
Personally, I'd be happy with a new Triceratops, as dull as that may sound. The old one is really showing its age.

Bro, I second that! Can we throw in new Styracosaurus while we're at it?

Shonisaurus

A I do not care any ceratopsid. Safari makes phenomenally well.

The ceratópsidos Wild Safari are the best on the market: recent examples vagaceratops, nasutoceratops, pachyrhinosaurus and Diabloceratops.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 14, 2015, 09:26:36 PM
I like all ceratopsid. Safari makes phenomenally well.

The ceratópsidos Wild Safari are the best on the market: recent examples vagaceratops, nasutoceratops, pachyrhinosaurus and Diabloceratops.

DinoLord

These all look great! Too bad the WS figures face size constraints, as that Carcharodontosaurus would work wonderfully as a large 1:40 scale figure.

Also, does anyone see the resemblance between the metriorhynchid and the Kaiyodo Dinotales Metriorhynchus?

Tapejara1122

Are they reissuing the liopluerodon? Anyways looks pretty noice!

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: