News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2016

Started by Fluffysaurus, October 14, 2015, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Man, i've been thinking about this problematic sauropod/ornithopod all day long! even after zooming in and staring at it for five minutes straight, I still can't figure it out. It looks like it could be either of the two, but i'm kind of swaying towards it being an iguanadontid of some sort, although this is based solely on what I think might be a beak at the front of its snout. I hope they reveal the genera soon though, the suspense is killing me ^-^

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Takama

Ok Are we talking about the Model with the purple stripes, or the one with the longish neck?

If its the latter, i dont see how that can be a ornithopod ???

suspsy

Photographic interpretation aside, I can't see Safari releasing two ornithopods in the same year. If it was CollectA, then sure. They released fifteen prehistoric toys this year and will probably release around the same number in 2016. They could get away with it. But WS's assortment is only six. They have to have variety.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Takama on October 14, 2015, 10:38:57 PM
Ok Are we talking about the Model with the purple stripes, or the one with the longish neck?

If its the latter, i dont see how that can be a ornithopod ???

I'm talking about the one you describe as having a longish neck. I'm questioning it's identification as a sauropodomorph because some of the first few comments on this tread stated that it was a Muttaburrasaurus, and I can see why people would think that: its neck is fairly short, we can't see the majority of the tail, the head seems to be facing the other way, the possible presence of a bill like I mentioned earlier, etc.   Honestly, I think it could be either one, as the picture makes the figure really hard to identify.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."

Takama

To me, the Neck is too skinny to be an ornithopod, just look at the Iguanodon, I can easily tell that its an Ornithopod.

DinoLord

The neck looks much too long to be Muttaburrasaurus. I doubt Safari would release two iguanadontians in the same year anyway...

Yutyrannus

I have to say, that doesn't look even remotely like an ornithopod to me. For one thing, the forelimbs are much too thick for an iguanodontian, the head also seems to be the wrong shape. I am still betting on it being Shunosaurus, although it could possibly be Brachytrachelopan.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

EarthboundEiniosaurus

I'm just trying to explore all the options, we won't really know for certain until the official list is released. I'm not saying that it couldn't be a sauropodomorph, and it may make sense if it is one, but I'm just trying to stay open minded. I'd actually like to see a good Shunosaurus or Isanosaurus figure made, as most sauropodomorphs on the market tend to be either diplodocoids or macronarians.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Halichoeres

I also think the ankles are too low--it looks semi-digitigrade rather than fully digitigrade. It looks very much like a sauropod to my eye. I'm trusting my instincts with respect to feet this week.  ;)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 15, 2015, 12:21:10 AM
I also think the ankles are too low--it looks semi-digitigrade rather than fully digitigrade. It looks very much like a sauropod to my eye. I'm trusting my instincts with respect to feet this week.  ;)

I thought of that as well, but who knows what all that grass is hiding  ^-^

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Halichoeres

Quote from: Tapejara1122 on October 14, 2015, 10:08:45 PM
Are they reissuing the liopluerodon? Anyways looks pretty noice!
I don't think the Liopleurodon was ever discontinued, and the ammonite was released quite recently. I think they're only there to keep the new crocodile company!

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 15, 2015, 12:24:52 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 15, 2015, 12:21:10 AM

I thought of that as well, but who knows what all that grass is hiding  ^-^

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Ha, good point about the grass!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 15, 2015, 12:20:12 AM
I'm just trying to explore all the options, we won't really know for certain until the official list is released. I'm not saying that it couldn't be a sauropodomorph, and it may make sense if it is one, but I'm just trying to stay open minded. I'd actually like to see a good Shunosaurus or Isanosaurus figure made, as most sauropodomorphs on the market tend to be either diplodocoids or macronarians.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

It is a Shunosaurus. The tail would be Thinner if it were a brachytrachelopan, because that is a Diplodocoid.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

It is a Shunosaurus. The tail would be Thinner if it were a brachytrachelopan, because that is a Diplodocoid.
[/quote]

I never thought it was a Brachytrachelopan, I was questioning whether it was an ornithopod, Shunosaurus, or Isanosaurus. Also, I know that Brachytrachelopan is a diplodocoid.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Takama

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 15, 2015, 12:35:39 AM

I never thought it was a Brachytrachelopan, I was questioning whether it was an ornithopod, Shunosaurus, or Isanosaurus. Also, I know that Brachytrachelopan is a diplodocoid.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
[/quote]

I was not saying you thoght it was, i was just saying for those who thoght it was. :)

Pachyrhinosaurus

YESSSSSS! The mammals are BACK! Now I don't have to pay exorbitant prices for the ones I wasn't able to pick up. Even though I would have preferred a leedsichthys, the metriorhynchus is a welcome addition for me. Are those going to be it or will the arsinoitherium be reissued as well?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Takama on October 15, 2015, 12:42:00 AM
Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 15, 2015, 12:35:39 AM

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

I was not saying you thoght it was, i was just saying for those who thoght it was. :)
[/quote]

Oh, ok. Sorry for any miscommunication  :)

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus

alexeratops

I like them! The Iguanodon seems shrink-wrapped a little... the neck specifically, but still cool looking. The variable dinosaur looks nice, I sorta like the spikes down its back and neck. The crocodilian also looks good, natural seeming colors. The Giganotosaurus and the possible Masiakosaurus also look fun, but too bright of colors imo. Overall, 8 out of 10. ^-^
like a bantha!

suspsy

Unless the angle in that group photo is deceptive, the neck on that sauropod is too short, even for Shunosaurus.

Also, given that part of the tail is concealed by other bodies in that photo, it's impossible to say right now just how long and thin it is. There could easily be a whip end to it.

Only official stock photos will settle this, so I hope we get some soon. In the mean time, I still have my money on Brachytrachelopan.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Well if it is a Brachytrachelopan, i wont be disappointed. I been waiting for Safari to do a new Sauropod for the Wild Safari line, and this in my eys looks like there latest one.

I tryed asking Doug on Facebook if he can confirm the names of any of the animals, but he said he cant say anything yet.   So we must wait a little longer.

I wonder if these models will be out late in the year like the last few years.

Takama

I took a closer look at the larger theropod.  It's snout looks long,  I wonder if it's a Torvosaurus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: