News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfxtwin

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 14, 2013, 05:53:58 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on August 13, 2013, 03:17:42 AM
What's wrong with the Papo Stegosaurus? It almost looks identical to the Wild Safari Stegosaurus, IMO.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 13, 2013, 06:42:02 PM
What about the Bullyland Stegosaurus? I thought that was one of the best replicas of Stego available...it would have been even better if it had a throat pouch.

Wrong number of plates and (worse) wrong feet and number of digits for both figures (to say the least).
Both Stegos are nicely sculpted but we will probably never see a scientific accurate Dinosaur from Papo or Bullyland.
Speaking about mass produced toy models there is the Kaiyodo Dinoland 1:20 Stegosaurus, the Favorite Collection 1st series Softmodel (1 plate missing) and ....... then there is nothing else ^-^.

Papo Dimetrodon?

tanystropheus

I think he mean't an accurate representation of Stegosaurus in the near future, as Papo had released a number of relatively accurate figures recently (on par with WS, below Favorite) including Styracosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, and Carnotaurus, as well as the upcoming Dimetrodon.

Invicta Hunter

I got my Dimetrodon the other day new in the packet but when i opened it i found it had some paint wear. Am i the only one who keeps  getting these damaged figures or are other people finding the same thing with their new Papo purchases?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on August 19, 2013, 12:07:38 AM
I got my Dimetrodon the other day new in the packet but when i opened it i found it had some paint wear. Am i the only one who keeps  getting these damaged figures or are other people finding the same thing with their new Papo purchases?
You got yours from Everythingdinosaur, right? Perhaps you can email them and get a refund...

Takama

This is a common issue with Papo items, I bought a Spinosaurus that's was supposedly brand new from Dans Dinosaurs, but it had ware as well.

https://mail.mediacombb.net/service/home/~/?id=111561&part=2&auth=co&disp=i

Here is what he said after checking each of The Papo Spinos in Stock

Sorry, I did not see anything significantly superior in stock at the moment. If you practice painting, you may eventually be able to achieve the look you want. It is important to be mindful of our expectations in dealing with figures like these. I have seen people conduct their own repairs for models that cost hundreds of dollars, who may have even higher expectations of the model, but they understand that small things can happen in transit that are beyond anyone's control. Since nobody can control the post office, we have to assume control after we take possession of the model, by making changes as we see fit. I have models in my own collection that have small paint rubs too, but I do not let this bother me. Instead, I can focus on the beauty of the range of a collection, or the movement of a sculpt. Enjoying the big picture, if that makes sense.

Don't take this the wrong way, Dan is an excellent seller, and is a good help were needed, and said that if your looking for products that are not rubbed in the polly bag, then a seller like him is the place to get them.  I asked him about the Carnotaurus, and he said they were in fine condition.

Invicta Hunter

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 19, 2013, 12:30:11 AM
You got yours from Everythingdinosaur, right? Perhaps you can email them and get a refund...

I think i will contact them and see about a refund or exchange.

Everything_Dinosaur

Our short video review of the Papo Dimetrodon is on Youtube here:Papo Dimetrodon Reviewed

We try and limit ourselves to just five minutes or thereabouts just to give an overview of the model, talk about some of the details that can be seen point out features etc.  In this video we do make the point about the prominent notch in the upper jaw and the missing toe on the hind foot.

tanystropheus

Excellent review of the Papo Dimetrodon, Everything Dinosaur!

Hey, does anyone know of any good, practical stands (preferably transparent or semi-transparent) for holding/stabilizing the Papo Running T-rex.  My Papo Running T-rex seems to have succumbed to debilitation (it stands occasionally). I know that there are some wonderful transparent doll stands available that hold action figures by the waist. Due to the unusual posture of the Running T-rex, it will probably need another type of stand (perhaps a U-shaped stand that holds the model from the underbelly?). Any advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Everything_Dinosaur

Thanks for the feedback on our Dimetrodon review,  much appreciated.  The Papo Running T. rex comes with a handy, clear plastic stand that can be used to help stabilise the occasional model that has a fit of the wobbles.  We can always put one of these stands aside for you and send it out.  Send us a personal message on the forum or just email us by scrolling down the bottom of the Everything Dinosaur web page to the "contact us" icon.

Hope this helps.

tyrantqueen

If you don't mind getting crafty, I found a tutorial for making stands here- http://reflectionsbyice.deviantart.com/art/How-to-make-a-doll-stand-101297222
(Don't click if you're offended by barbie nudity >:D)

It has been designed for plastic dolls, but I don't see why you couldn't modify the technique so it works with plastic dinosaur toys.

Jetoar

Wonderful review friend  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tanystropheus

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on August 26, 2013, 08:25:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback on our Dimetrodon review,  much appreciated.  The Papo Running T. rex comes with a handy, clear plastic stand that can be used to help stabilise the occasional model that has a fit of the wobbles.  We can always put one of these stands aside for you and send it out.  Send us a personal message on the forum or just email us by scrolling down the bottom of the Everything Dinosaur web page to the "contact us" icon.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I truly appreciated it. Yeah, I accidentally threw mine out.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 27, 2013, 04:59:39 AM
If you don't mind getting crafty, I found a tutorial for making stands here- http://reflectionsbyice.deviantart.com/art/How-to-make-a-doll-stand-101297222
(Don't click if you're offended by barbie nudity >:D)

It has been designed for plastic dolls, but I don't see why you couldn't modify the technique so it works with plastic dinosaur toys.

Oh, these saddle stands are pretty interesting. I'll keep these in mind.

fleshanthos

Well, I wound up with Running Rex and Parrot-neck/face Styracosaurus anyways. Not bad at all! They look realistic as hell, and hey - when did I EVER see an accurate representation?!?

Maybe on life size museum replicas!

I can tolerate the parrot neck Sty; I had the snap-tite Revell Sty since I was 10...
and the running Rex is a better paint job than I could ever hope to do.

I'm happy with em.
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

tanystropheus

Quote from: fleshanthos on August 28, 2013, 04:52:10 PM

I can tolerate the parrot neck Sty; I had the snap-tite Revell Sty since I was 10...

Most recent Styracosaurus models in the market have elongated parrot necks, including Papo, Favorite, X-Plus, and Kaiyodo.

fleshanthos

hmmm, I would call them "figures" instead - since models for me means you cut the pieces off the sprue, trim them down, try to match poorly moulded pieces together, then glue them, and, in my case, make a lousy paint job. 

Concavenator

I personally love the way Papo is doing the things these days.All their models are awesome.Animated poses,extreme detail,great paintjob.There are only two models which I think they could resculpt:theTriceratops and  the Velociraptor.Look at their 2011 Styracosaurus and try to compare it with the Triceratops.Hands down the Styraco is much better imho.Better pose,more colourful,more detailed.More beautiful.They could put the Triceratops in a better pose,more scientifically accurate and more colourful.Similar to their Styraco,but no JP inspiration please.The Velociraptor would be better in a horizontal pose,smaller and without JP inspiration.Papo could also put some feathers(I don't ask for completely feahthered,that would be too good for being real lol  ;D)
I find JP inspiration nice for some of their models (Brachiosaurus,All their T-rexes,and baby pachycephalosaurus) but not nice,boring in some cases (Velociraptor,Triceratops)
Good thing they're going away from JP bit by bit...lol  ;D And producing more scientifically accurate figures.While being the Spinosaurus everyone's favorite Papo to resculpt,I find it nice.I have it and it's great.However if Papo resculpt it with an inspiration other than JP ,I can't say I'd be dissappointed.
If Papo will do a Giganotosaurus next year ,it would be a hit.The Carnegie Giganotosaurus is one of Carnegie's bestsellers,thhe Scleich one might probably have thousands of small children going for it lol.
If Papo do one,it would be amazing.All Papo dinosaurs sells good.If they release a Giganotosaurus,not only it would sell.It would be a HIT!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm sure they'll do another Triceratops at some point..it's a popular piece. They just need to find a good statue or model to copy first. :)

fleshanthos

I'm pretty amazed they didn't copy a JP pose, even if they did copy the "cracked white" horn style.

Blade-of-the-Moon

There isn't much of a pose for one in any of the films..we mainly see the sick one laying on it's side. One does rampage in the hunter's camp in the lost world but it's not a very clear view of it.

Maybe if we get a classic Rex VS Trike battle in a JP film we will have a more dynamic pose. lol

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: