News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfxtwin

Got my dimetrodon this week and i have to say papo have outdone themselves.  The markings on the sail leave a bit to be desired and the back feet are each missing a toe but you'd be hard-pressed to think of any crits outside of those nitpicks.  The sail is even somewhat transparent and emulates the look of skin rather well - shine a light on the other side and see for yourself!

Hands down, the best dimetrodon figure on the market.

Concavenator

Quote from: gfxtwin on September 07, 2013, 07:39:04 PM
Got my dimetrodon this week and i have to say papo have outdone themselves.  The markings on the sail leave a bit to be desired and the back feet are each missing a toe but you'd be hard-pressed to think of any crits outside of those nitpicks.  The sail is even somewhat transparent and emulates the look of skin rather well - shine a light on the other side and see for yourself!

Hands down, the best dimetrodon figure on the market.
Please,could you post a image of it?

gfxtwin

Concavenator

Thanks for the pics,gfxtwin!  :)

Concavenator

I have my fingers crossed for seeing a Giganotosaurus by Papo.I really hope our request has been heard.Just search for their Carnotaurus in the internet and you'll see how succesful is he becoming on its release year.It fits well on what speies they choose.If I'd be on the Papo team and see Carnotaurus' succes,I'd definetely plan on doing a Giganotosaurus.Even Schleich has a Giganotosaurus,and Schleich only releases the very most popular dinosaurs.It would be amazing.
I don't believe in the 2014 Papo Apatosaurus.We've suggested it way too early.However next time they do a sauropod (if they do a sauropod)it might be Apatosaurus.

Concavenator

Papo needs to avoid some errors,and they'll become much better than now (though even now I think they're the best mainstream company).
In some of their pieces the dull coloration and lack of a good coloration spoils the product (i.e. Triceratops,Pteranodon,Pachyrhinosaurus)
If they would put a more dynamic pose to the Trike and a better coloration(like their Styraco)  it would have been much better.
Then we have JP.In some of their models the JP inspiration looks appropiate (Brachiosaurus,running T-rex)but in  other spoils the product (Velociraptor,Triceratops or even the Spino).
Good thing they're going away for JP slowly  ;)
They also need to be accurate . If I didn't notice that their 'Tylosaurus' is a 'Tylosaurus' and someone show it me,I'd say it's more like a sea dragon,like some sort of mythological sea monster  :))
It was a let down.If accurate,much better.

Hellraptor

I really enjoy Papos dinosaurs but as told Before, they need to buff up the paint job, not the dull one like on Allosaurus, Parasaurlophus,trike, velociraptor,spino,allo,pachyrhinosaurus,brachiosaurus,) i dont mind that they do JP style, im just amazed they havent get sued for doin it. I would also lokk foward to a Giganotosaurus so we could have the Three kings( T.rex, spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus) and i hope they do a Tylosaurus that looks like one aswell as the Plesiosaurus. If they continue on the Jp style i would so like to have a troodon from JP the game but a featherd, accurate one is just as good.
Taking dinosaurs of this islandis the worst idea in the long, sad story of bad ideas

SpartanSquat

I think the running rex its more based in the V-Rex King Kong
Im waiting a JP ceratosaurus and Giganotosaurus. Also a new Parasaurolophus.
Tylo look like tylosaurus were shown in the 30s.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

I'd love to see Papo do a Giga, a Therazinosaurus, and a Masiakasaurus.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Concavenator

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on October 02, 2013, 10:37:12 PM
Too exotic for Papo,you know...  ;)

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: Concavenator on October 07, 2013, 05:21:38 PM
Perhaps, but the quality could be awesome.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Concavenator

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on October 07, 2013, 07:43:38 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on October 07, 2013, 05:21:38 PM
Perhaps, but the quality could be awesome.
...as any other dinosaur Papo could do  ::)

Concavenator

I don't know what Papo has against feathers.The feathers represent a characteristic of some animals,like Oviraptor and velociraptor.I don't understand why the heck they have to do inaccurate prehistoric animal figures.Imagine a film which the main character is a tiger without hairs and with clown feet and the film becomes very badly popular.Then,companies like Papo,Möjo,Schleich,CollectA,Safari...would really replace their beautiful,accurate tigers and replace with that thing?No way.
If JP didn't sctually exist,then I'm pretty sure Papo would do an accurate Spinosaurus,Tyrannosaurus,Velociraptor...etc,etc.
An accurate Spinosaurus is much more amazing -looking that the JP thing.
We do know lots of things about dinosaurs.We even know the colors in somes (Anchiornis,Microraptor),then,what's the point of producing scientifically accurate replicas?
Then people sat that it's because of popular culture.Then,if that bold,clown-footed tiger would be soo popular,would companies produce a replica based on it?No,that'd be very odd.Why it isn't odd when we reffer to dinosaurs? 
And if they have difficulty producing accurate replicas (I doubt that) they should just get an expert about dinosaur's anatomy,so he/she will help them.

tyrantqueen

QuoteI don't know what Papo has against feathers.
I don't think they have anything against feathers. They're just not interested in making scientifically accurate models. They know that copying JP is the easy route- JP sells very well. I don't like it either, but I don't think they're going to change anytime soon.

QuoteImagine a film which the main character is a tiger without hairs and with clown feet and the film becomes very badly popular.

That's not really the same thing, because a movie like that would never become popular in first place. We know what tigers look like. We don't really know 100% what the dinosaurs look like. We can only make educated guesses. JP designs are well designed enough so that the average person on the street can look at them and believe that a creature from that movie could exist. I don't think anyone could imagine a naked tiger with gigantic feet actually existing.

But Papo's most recent figures, Carnotaurus and Dimetrodon, were excellent. So who knows what could be in store in future from them :)

Megalosaurus

I agree with tyrantqueen.  *orthocone*

Quote from: Concavenator on October 08, 2013, 08:59:20 PM
The feathers represent a characteristic of some animals, like Oviraptor and velociraptor.
There's no direct proof of these 2 animals were feathered. We just assume they were feathered by behavior (oviraptor nesting), relationships and quill knobs (that maybe support muscle, tendons or other tissue not quills) in velocyraptor. There's another thread to discuss these things. But there's not direct proof right now.

We do know lots of things about dinosaurs.
Sadly we don't know almost anything about dinosaurs (and other prehistoric creatures). If we know 1000 facts and make another 9000 guesses, there's still 1000 billions of trillions of facts we don't know.

what's the point of producing scientifically accurate replicas?
Papo doesn't claim to produce scientifically accurate replicas. They produce Toys and are really good at their work. Movie monsters sells very well.

But don't be disappointed, feathered theropods are becoming more popular over time, who knows, maybe JP4 present a feathered one. I'm almost sure that Papo will eventually release a feathered MONSTER over time.

Right now, the only feathered thing I'd like to be produced by Papo is a Terror Bird (any species).
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Takama

Quote from: Megalosaurus on October 09, 2013, 12:15:57 AM

The feathers represent a characteristic of some animals, like Oviraptor and velociraptor.
There's no direct proof of these 2 animals were feathered. We just assume they were feathered by behavior (oviraptor nesting), relationships and quill knobs (that maybe support muscle, tendons or other tissue not quills) in velocyraptor. There's another thread to discuss these things. But there's not direct proof right now.

Sadly we don't know almost anything about dinosaurs (and other prehistoric creatures). If we know 1000 facts and make another 9000 guesses, there's still 1000 billions of trillions of facts we don't know.

Papo doesn't claim to produce scientifically accurate replicas. They produce Toys and are really good at their work. Movie monsters sells very well.

But don't be disappointed, feathered theropods are becoming more popular over time, who knows, maybe JP4 present a feathered one. I'm almost sure that Papo will eventually release a feathered MONSTER over time.

The Director of JP4 said that there will be no feathers in the fourth movie.

Concavenator

Right now, the only feathered thing I'd like to be produced by Papo is a Terror Bird (any species).
Oops,sorry,I meant:
What's the point of producing inaccurate dinosaur replicas?
Just a bad error

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Concavenator on October 09, 2013, 06:59:16 AM

Oops,sorry,I meant:
What's the point of producing inaccurate dinosaur replicas?
Just a bad error
Because it makes money? They don't have to spend time researching and hiring paleontologists to verify whether their models are accurate or not...just copy JP dinos and they pretty much sell themselves.

Roselaar

Got the latest word from my regular Papo store which has been trying to score a brown running T-Rex for me these past few months: bad news unfortunately. Papo itself is all out of its stock of brown running Rexes, which was quite limited anyway. Most of its distributors don't even know it exists. It seems it's very likely this particular figure is gonna be an incredibly hard to find figure that only goes for huge soms of cash in the future. Unless Papo notices the demand for these in terms of collectors whining about them. Those few forum members here who own one should consider themselves very lucky indeed.

Invicta Hunter

Does anyone know when Papo is going to release info on next years new figures?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: