News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Invertebrates

Started by Bokisaurus, February 08, 2016, 08:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 11, 2017, 09:43:30 PM
Ha. Damn you, Yowies.

Well, the figures are nice. Even if their facts are conflicting or nonsensical.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on August 12, 2017, 02:28:11 AM
Ha. Damn you, Yowies.

I wish they'd bring back Lost Kingdoms, honestly.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 13, 2017, 02:40:03 PM
Ha. Damn you, Yowies.

Maybe it will depend on how successful their current rebirth has been? The figures are nice (I love my pupfish!) so some prehistoric animals would seem like a logical step forward.

Takama

Quote from: SBell on August 13, 2017, 03:54:28 PM
Ha. Damn you, Yowies.

Maybe it will depend on how successful their current rebirth has been? The figures are nice (I love my pupfish!) so some prehistoric animals would seem like a logical step forward.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasted enough money trying to complte the modern day sereies by getting doubles or (monsters). if they start doing prehistorics again, i will go insane :))

Brontozaurus

Quote from: SBell on August 13, 2017, 03:54:28 PM
Ha. Damn you, Yowies.

Lost Kingdoms was a tie-in with a museum exhibition of the same name. I wouldn't put it past them to have a new prehistoric line eventually though.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

bmathison1972

I recently bought a Leanchoilia superlata from Paleocasts (Patrick May). I also inquired about some small figures by Pat that I saw on DTF, and he sold me a bunch of them at a nice price. In the end I ended up with 10 new taxa representing 9 new genera: the enigmatic L. superlata, six trilobites (Harpes sp., Asaphus kowalewskii, Phacops sp., Hollardops sp., Asaphus cornutus, and Eldredgeia venustus), two xiphosurans (Paleolimulus and Euproops), and the crustacean Dithyrocaris.

Halichoeres: You have most of these and I see you have your Hollardops identified as Calymene. Was that your ID? I ask because Pat specifically told me the figure was intended to be Hollardops. By the way, it makes me wonder if the Bullyland trilobite was intended to be Hollardops, too!

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 02, 2017, 03:24:47 AM
I recently bought a Leanchoilia superlata from Paleocasts (Patrick May). I also inquired about some small figures by Pat that I saw on DTF, and he sold me a bunch of them at a nice price. In the end I ended up with 10 new taxa representing 9 new genera: the enigmatic L. superlata, six trilobites (Harpes sp., Asaphus kowalewskii, Phacops sp., Hollardops sp., Asaphus cornutus, and Eldredgeia venustus), two xiphosurans (Paleolimulus and Euproops), and the crustacean Dithyrocaris.

Halichoeres: You have most of these and I see you have your Hollardops identified as Calymene. Was that your ID? I ask because Pat specifically told me the figure was intended to be Hollardops. By the way, it makes me wonder if the Bullyland trilobite was intended to be Hollardops, too!

I looked back at my email thread with Pat, and I had guessed Calymene in part because at the time I assumed everything he made was North American. He responded very briefly (I think from a phone) to identify the Harpes and Dithyrocaris, but he didn't correct my ID on the Calymene, so I assumed I had guessed correctly. Looking at it again, the pygidium is too serrate, and the genal spine too long and swept back, to be Calymene. Thanks for the correction; I've adjusted my collection thread accordingly.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

bmathison1972

fossil crab, Portunites sp. by Fossil Molds and Replicas. Normally I wouldn't go for something like this, but it's a new genus for me. You can buy a kit or do what I did and buy an unpainted plaster cast.

Before and after highlights (I need to do some touchups, I know...):

Bowhead Whale

I own the Safari ltd Cambrian Life Toob; the Bullyland large Ammonite, Trilobite, Belemnite and Jellyfish; as well as the Kaiyodo Pleurocystites and Opabinia.

bmathison1972

Just got this guy!!!! Review coming up soon on DTB (my first).

Katieraptor

Anyone know of any Cryptolithus sp models?
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Katieraptor on January 22, 2018, 12:09:38 AM

None that I know of... I have a a few of the real thing though, much better than having a figure IMO.

If you're interested there's one on eBay right now; not the best by any means but here it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEOLOGICAL-ENTERPRISES-Ordovician-Fossil-Trilobite-Cryptolithus-bellulus/312046298883?hash=item48a768a703:g:LoUAAOSw4PxZ75R-
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

That would be so cool! Relatively few trilobites have been made in plastic. Maybe the closest one is the one from the Safari Ancient Fossils Toob. I don't know what species it is, but not Cryptolithus.

(photo from toyanimal.info)

But hey, if Pachyrhinosaurus can get you a real one, damn, do that.

Katieraptor

Yeah I'm probably just gonna have to look for fossils or other models. Maybe there's a Phacops sp?
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Halichoeres

Not that I know of. Here are all the trilobite genera in plastic or resin that I know of, apart from a variety of things labeled generically as "trilobite:"

Ceraurinella (Kaiyodo)
Harpes (Paleocasts by Patrick May)
Hollardops (Paleocasts by Patrick May)
Kettneraspis (Yowie)
Naraoia (Safari, probably not a trilobite strictly speaking)
Olenoides (CollectA, Colorata, Favorite, Royal Ontario Museum; probably also the Cog Ltd trilobite)
Psychopyge (Kaiyodo)
Triarthrus (Kaiyodo)
Tricrepicephalus (Safari)

Pretty meager variety considering how diverse trilobites were, honestly.

Katieraptor

Not even Elrathia? Wtf?

The reason I ask is that my partner is absolutely nuts about Trilobites and I wanted to possibly surprise them at some point with a model or fossil of one of their favorites, either Cryptolithus or Phacops.

My Art

Halichoeres

I have to correct myself! Mr. May also makes this trilobite set, which includes a Phacops:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/563168160/paint-yourself-trilobite-cast-collection?ref=shop_home_active_1

Also TST Advance makes a variety of plush trilobites.

Katieraptor

My Art

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 22, 2018, 05:47:12 PM

That would be so cool! Relatively few trilobites have been made in plastic. Maybe the closest one is the one from the Safari Ancient Fossils Toob. I don't know what species it is, but not Cryptolithus.

(photo from toyanimal.info)

But hey, if Pachyrhinosaurus can get you a real one, damn, do that.

Tim, this Ancient Fossils TOOB trilobite is Raymondites (which appears now to be in Bathyurus?), the same genus they made for their large Safariology fossil figure.

By the way, here are the arthropods from the Paleozoic Creatures set by Colorata:
1. sea scorpion, Acutiramus macrophthalmus (a new/unique species in toy/figure form)
2. trilobite, Olenoides serratus (once uncommon, it seems to be the go-to species these days)
3. anomalocarid, Anomalocaris canadensis (again, commonly made)

Despite the lack of originality with two of them, these are nice little figures!

bmathison1972

Song Kong Dino Mecard Anomalocaris. These and additional images submitted for DTB review :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: