You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs of China exhibition - Nottingham

Started by DinoToyForum, February 19, 2016, 08:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Silvanusaurus

Wait... do you have to book tickets for this?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on December 09, 2016, 01:06:41 AM
Wait... do you have to book tickets for this?

It's a ticketed event. Although tickets will be available on the door, there's limited capacity in the museum, and so visitors with pre-booked tickets will receive priority. I'd recommend booking online to avoid disappointment.  :)

An event like this is unprecedented at Wollaton Hall, so we don't quite know what to expect in terms of visitor numbers...

Halichoeres

I hope it's a big success! Sadly, the only way I'm likely to be able to see it is if I land a postdoc (or at least an interview) in the UK.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

I was just interviewed about Dinosaurs of China on live BBC radio. Wang Qi (the 'exhibition developer') and I chatted about how the exhibition came about, why it is special, and how we know what dinosaurs looked like when they were alive. For those with access, skip to 3.09: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04h6ftp

I resisted the temptation to sing my masterpieces, 'Dinosaurs and their biscuits' and 'They love to eat fish'.

DinoToyForum

Last month I was on live local BBC radio, talking about all things dinosaur and the Dinosaurs of China exhibition. Listen here:

https://youtu.be/neok6oCVUkg

ceratopsian

I've booked my tickets and my husband is coming along too.  (Though I think  he might cut and run if I take too long and pick me up later!) Good to have something to look forward to later in the year!  I'm hoping the booklet will be a good record of the exhibition.

Viergacht

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 06, 2017, 10:36:48 PM
I've booked my tickets and my husband is coming along too.  (Though I think  he might cut and run if I take too long and pick me up later!) Good to have something to look forward to later in the year!  I'm hoping the booklet will be a good record of the exhibition.

That's great!  8)

We are working on the booklet. It should be a good record of the exhibition!

DinoToyForum

Other specimens you can expect to see at Dinosaurs of China exhibition include casts of Epidexipteryx, Yi qi, and Protopteryx.
Here are the originals of the latter two...

Ceratopsian, Critcho, what days are you coming?

DinoToyForum

For a full list of all the species released so far, check out the exhibition website: http://www.dinosaursofchina.co.uk/exhibition/species/

ceratopsian

I'm booked for 1 July.  But I might well come on a weekday a second time further into the run - I find it's often helpful to see an exhibition twice if it's something that really interests you.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 23, 2017, 07:11:16 PM
I'm booked for 1 July.  But I might well come on a weekday a second time further into the run - I find it's often helpful to see an exhibition twice if it's something that really interests you.

Day 1. Good call! The paint may still be drying... The Mamenchisaurus still shaking on its mount!

ceratopsian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 23, 2017, 10:30:17 PM

Day 1. Good call! The paint may still be drying... The Mamenchisaurus still shaking on its mount!

Provided there aren't any workmen or curators still holding bits of the casts in place and pretending to be part of the exhibit!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 24, 2017, 09:16:34 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 23, 2017, 10:30:17 PM

Provided there aren't any workmen or curators still holding bits of the casts in place and pretending to be part of the exhibit!

You jest...

ceratopsian

I have helped put together some (small) museum exhibitions, so have an inkling.

DinoToyForum

Don'f forget that the main Dinosaurs of China exhibition at Wollaton Hall will be connected to a smaller satellite exhibition at Lakeside Arts on the University of Nottingham campus, near by. Two of the Chinese dinosaur skeletons will be displayed there, including Sinosaurus. Entry to Lakeside will be free.

Here's the Sinosaurus (or 'Dilophosaurus sinensis')

Bokisaurus

Looking super impressive! Wishing I can see this awesome show!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 24, 2017, 08:22:53 PM
Looking super impressive! Wishing I can see this awesome show!

Hey, if you can make it over, know you'll get the the VIP tour. 8)

Moodyraptor

Is it necessary to book tickets?  Do you anticipate it might be difficult to get in if you just turn up? (I live in Nottingham so wouldn't necessarily need to make a special trip)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: