You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus - it was Ben Van Steenberge who repainted the baby Sinoceratops, not Martin this time.

Here in London there is a new variant of the Covid 19 virus. It is much easier to give to someone else than the original virus. Figures are surging. They rose strongly in the November lockdown. Deaths are shooting up too. It is not good news at all.

Shonisaurus

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Thanks for the info. I did not think that the coronavirus situation in London and Great Britain was so serious. I have to admit that in my case I had not found out, not watching television at all and in my case not worrying about the news of all kinds, national and international. I guess the same will happen in Spain. I am very sorry for those who fall ill and die, I hope this is solved as soon as possible. In my case I can't do anything.

The only thing you can do is pray or feel sorry for all those affected.

ceratopsian

I've finally taken out my camera again and will try to catch up with some of my arrivals over the last few months. Quite a few pieces came in, but virtually all of them are factory-produced models rather than customs.

I was delighted when Vitae put out some new models, especially as their choice of dinosaurs appealed to me.  This spurred me to make by first venture into buying through AliExpress.  Here's a few photos of their Jinyunpelta sinensis.  The number of ankylosaurs in my collection has increased noticeably over the last few months!  Taking photos of Jinyunpelta revealed that there is a splodge of pink mouth paint that escaped onto the right cheek.  But it's not so very obvious unless you look hard.  I'm pleased with the model and find it quite charming.  It has enough movement to give it a feeling of life and I like the combination of rich brown with countershading - though perhaps I wouldn't have added the transverse white stripes on the body.

Should you want more or high-resolution images, here's a link to my Flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157718779196537

Loon

This is such a nice looking figure, probably one of the best Ankylosaurids made yet. The brown on the back is very appealing, I agree that the bands kind of disrupt the look. Still, vitae's return is going to be very exciting if all the figures are this quality.

Halichoeres

Nice photos, I love how much foliage is in your shots. I'm also very happy with this figure and I hope we hear more from Vitae.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Thanks - the foliage comes from a chance find a while back - quite a chunk of pseudo-rock with lots of attached foliage that I spotted in the aquarium section of the shop I go to for (outdoor) fish food.  I thought it might come in handy!

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 26, 2021, 05:07:57 PM
Nice photos, I love how much foliage is in your shots. I'm also very happy with this figure and I hope we hear more from Vitae.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Excellent photography, you've really highlighted the beauty of the sculpt, and it looks great in that environment
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 26, 2021, 06:36:50 PM
Thanks - the foliage comes from a chance find a while back - quite a chunk of pseudo-rock with lots of attached foliage that I spotted in the aquarium section of the shop I go to for (outdoor) fish food.  I thought it might come in handy!

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 26, 2021, 05:07:57 PM

I've looked for aquarium plants now and again in vain, but just in the chain pet stores. I should keep my eye open.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your new Vitae figure, without a doubt, it is one of the best ankylosaurs on the market.

Bokisaurus

Very nice addition, this group sure had a renaissance lately! :D

ceratopsian

Thank you, fellow Forumites, for your kind words on the Jinyunpelta.  I now need to sort out its shelf to display the ankylosaurs better!  It's looking a bit muddled with new additions squeezing in where there's space.

Today I'm showing another of Ben Van Steenberge's repaints - this is the only custom I've had of late.  The photos were taken on the same morning as the Vitae model, so have the same aquarium rock as background.

I hadn't intended to get two of any of the PNSO models - that seemed far too rash.  Plus I really love my factory giraffe-patterned Lambeosaurus anyway.  She's delightful.  But then I saw on Facebook Ben's photos of his repaint.  Love at first sight.  While I grappled with whether to succumb to having two Lambeosaurus (and also the extra costs due to Brexit - customs and also, as I discovered, much higher postage), someone else enquired about the cost.  But fortunately for me, they didn't take it further than a query!  So it came to me.  While I find all Ben's repaints excellent, this one seemed to me to be extra special.  And rather charmingly, she has a very damp nose (which doesn't show up well on my photos) - no idea if that is possible for a dinosaur, but in artistic terms it's a lovely touch.

Hiding in the forest!

And some shots of the front closer in:

Should you wish to see more (or hi-res) photos, here's the link to my Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157718799591506

I do have two commissions in the works (one left me today for Martin, the other is ready for Ben to post to me) ....

Stegotyranno420

This repaint. It's so amazing!

I wonder how they make these repaints.

Dusty Wren

This Lambeosaurus is absolutely lovely, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian. The coloration is believable and naturalistic, while still having some nice artistic flourishes (like the shift from green to gold as you move along the body). Totally worth doubling up on a figure, in my opinion :))
Check out my customs thread!

Halichoeres

Wonderful. I can definitely understand why it tempted you.

postsaurischian

:D Wow! Another most beautiful re-paint by Ben.
  I love these green and orange tones in contrast with the beige.
  And I love the "Hiding in the forest!" pic.
  Excellent, congratulations!

ceratopsian

Thank you all.

Today is another of the Vitae figures from the end of last year, and another AliExpress purchase.

I really liked the therizinosaur Tiantaiosaurus.  I was fascinated by the idea of keeping a biped aloft by inserting a magnet in one of its feet.  So far it's kept the model upright on its base without difficulty.  I was hard pressed whether to choose the dark or pale paint variants.  In the end I plumped for dark - but later I purchased the pale as well.  No photos yet of the latter, so here's the dark version.

And a view of those therizinosaur feet:

If you want hi-res or further images, here's my Flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157718873241321

SidB

I also found the dark-hued one hard to resist - my first choice too.

Faelrin

Such beautiful set ups and repaints here.

Not something I thought much about before but the black background really helps the colors pop more. Helps give it just that bit more of a lost world type of feel too I think.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

postsaurischian

The Tiantaiosaurus is a beauty, great photos. I like its spiky claws. I decided for the pale paint version.
The piece of wood with plants on it makes a great background. I want one ;D .

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your beautiful repaints, the lambeosaurus is an unusual figure, it looks nothing like the original PNSO painting and the tiantaiosaurus is without a doubt one of the most beautiful Vitae figures made to date, figures like His wuerhosaurus or sinraptor, to give a comparative example, are in much worse place and in much lower quality than their Vitae counterparts from this year or better said from the end of 2020 to 2021.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: