You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Definitely one of my favorite therizinosaur figures of any kind. Mine has tipped off its base a couple of times now, but I braced it with a CollectA Williamsonia and now it stays put.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

And just when you thought that that Lambeosaurus could't be more amazingly beautiful, you show this! ;D Fabulous !

ceratopsian

It's a very long time since I posted any collection photos, although I've acquired quite a few models over the last few months.  I'll try to be more organised and more energised in future!

I was excited when V @vampiredesign announced the Dicraeosaurus project from HaoLongGood  & GR Toys.  Although I was a little surprised at how expensive it was, I still very much wanted it.  It's a perfect match to the focus of my collection, and sauropods have not been forthcoming from PNSO's explosive output of the last year.   Dicraeosaurus was a good choice within sauropods too.  I don't have one in my collection at all.  Plus it's not a huge animal (for a sauropod), so 1:35 doesn't produce a whopper that will fill my shelf.  It's quite distinctive too, with its large head, relatively short neck, and tall neural spines.  In addition, I liked the idea of having something from the Tendaguru Formation in my collection.

I ordered it from My Online Toy Store on AliExpress. (I saw somewhere slightly cheaper, but I've bought from this seller before.)  I went for the "red" version, though someone on the forum described it as "coffee" and that is pretty accurate (flat white or latte, not espresso!)  I debated for a moment or two about the base.  I wasn't sure then if it was produced by HaoLongGood or the seller (and I couldn't see it offered by the couple of other sellers I looked at).  Anyway, I always enjoy the aesthetic effect of a base.  I think they finish off a model and give it visual impact.  It wasn't much more expensive than without base, so I ordered one.  It arrived quickly – only about a fortnight.

I opened it wondering if I would be disappointed, given the price.  However, I'm completely thrilled with the model.  Production values are excellent.  I find it exceedingly handsome.  It occupies the ground somewhere between "toy model" and "custom repaint of a toy".  It has a good solid feel to it, and it is beautifully matte (rather than shiny plastic).  The Dicraeosaurus has plenty of texture – scales, skin folds to indicate movement, but without overdoing it in my opinion. The pose is elegant and life-like, again without going over the top for effect.  It sits nicely on its base – I really like the little pool of water.  The slightly pinky-purple tone of the base's "rock" marries well with the tone of the sauropod too.  You can pose it either stepping up, or stepping down, whichever you prefer. 

The paint scheme is superb and this is what sets it apart for me.  It's more detailed than a PNSO paint job (although I'm not complaining about theirs either, I'm usually pretty happy with them) and much more on the way towards a custom paint.  If I put the Dicraeosaurus with my repaints of PNSO figures, for instance, it wouldn't immediately look out of place.  The scheme is carefully and credibly applied, so it gels with the actual shape of the model – sometimes for me a paint scheme can look a bit random, as if it doesn't quite take into account the contours of the animal.  Areas like the inside of the legs are done carefully.  The tiny pupil of the eye is cleanly done.  The colours are relatively sober, which I like, but never boring – there are many gradations within the brown to beige palette.  But despite all the variation, it never looks fussy or contrived.  Even the belly is nicely done, with a rather dusky pink soft wash.  The toes are somewhat painted but not completely done.  I actually like this.  And not in white either, but a softer greyish off-white.  I like the sketchy application here, as it looks very lifelike – it hints nicely at the Dicraeosaurus having mud/earth on his feet rather than having just come straight from the zoo keeper's hosepipe or the nail varnish salon!  (And if you don't like "nails" on your sauropods, they are not very obvious.)

The packaging is good (you can see it in one of the photos below).  Each side has the same skeletal of the Dicraeosaurus, one olive green, the other a pinkish brown (so only one box needed printing), slightly embossed and shiny.  The white card of the sleeve could have been a more sturdy grade – mine has wrinkled on one side (which is why I photographed my "red" model against the green skeleton).  But the inner box in plain cardboard was strong.  A bit of a shame the firm didn't get an English speaker to run over the translation, to iron out misspellings.  But this is no big deal, and it's nice to have some English present at all and it's serviceable.

So all in all I'm mightily impressed with this Dicraeosaurus.  I would go so far as to say rather in love with it.  My congratulations and thanks to V @vampiredesign and his friends, and I wish them every future success.  I'm hoping for more non-theropods from them!

And now for some photos....

The base with the HaoLongGood characters:

And showing his tummy:

If you want hi-res (or yet more) photos, here's the link to my Flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157719706774019

Bokisaurus

Great to see you back with a collection update!
And what an update! I'm soooo glad to hear that this figure turned out better than some of the photos we have seen.
I have to admit I was a little concerned when I saw some photos, it just looks like it wasn't up to par with the first two.
But your review and photos confirm and assure it's an exquisite model, thanks!
Definitely on my list to get.

Your post is worthy of a review of this figure!
Seriously, you did a great job reviewing it😃

ceratopsian

Thank you, B @Bokisaurus.  I don't think any photos I've seen of it did it full justice.  And thank you for the compliment - the model just inspired me to sing of its strengths.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on August 21, 2021, 06:33:47 PM
Great to see you back with a collection update!
And what an update! I'm soooo glad to hear that this figure turned out better than some of the photos we have seen.
I have to admit I was a little concerned when I saw some photos, it just looks like it wasn't up to par with the first two.
But your review and photos confirm and assure it's an exquisite model, thanks!
Definitely on my list to get.

Your post is worthy of a review of this figure!
Seriously, you did a great job reviewing it😃

Concavenator

Congratulations, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian ! That's a fantastic acquisiton, it's about time a good model of this important sauropod (it names its family) was released. I also prefer this version over the green one, the colours are much nicer.

SidB

Yes, the "coffee" tones are a rich blend - I too am impressed.

Leyster

Wow, the Dicraeosaurus looks great! Can't wait to receive mine (even if in my case I chose the green version because it looks a lot like an illustration on Eofauna's Sauropod book).
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

ceratopsian

I'll be very interested to see the green version when you have it L @Leyster.  My guess is that it will look much better in hand than in photographs we've seen.

Quote from: Leyster on August 22, 2021, 09:14:09 AM
Wow, the Dicraeosaurus looks great! Can't wait to receive mine (even if in my case I chose the green version because it looks a lot like an illustration on Eofauna's Sauropod book).

Lanthanotus

Lovely addition, I'd also like to add this, but then theres already a bit too much spent on hobbies lately :D ....maybe somewhen.

Justin_

It is gorgeous, but I'd cut that plant off the base if it was mine.

ceratopsian

Not so easy. It is separate and slots into a hole.  If you just cut it off, the plug would be very obvious.

Quote from: Justin_ on August 22, 2021, 03:13:34 PM
It is gorgeous, but I'd cut that plant off the base if it was mine.

Dusty Wren

Thanks for all the lovely photos, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian.  Really enjoyed going through your Flickr album to look at all the close-ups. This is a really handsome sauropod!
Check out my customs thread!

Halichoeres

Always a pleasure to see your photos and hear your thoughts. Really whets my appetite for the copy that's on its way to me now.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That looks beautiful, can't wait for mine to arrive, just hoping it doesn't come next week. Also went for brown even though it will be going next to the brown Giraffatitan, its contemporary.

IIRC the reason you don't have any other Dicreosaurus  is because there aren't any other figures of it.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

ceratopsian

Enjoy your time away avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx!  I didn't think there were any mass-produced Dicraeosaurus around, but I didn't actually check to be certain.  I have a feeling that there might have been a resin at some point, but if so, I don't have it.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on August 23, 2021, 01:12:15 AM
That looks beautiful, can't wait for mine to arrive, just hoping it doesn't come next week. Also went for brown even though it will be going next to the brown Giraffatitan, its contemporary.

IIRC the reason you don't have any other Dicreosaurus  is because there aren't any other figures of it.

vampiredesign

:)Repainting is good, there is a good collection, and the product shooting is also good。GR:Agents and distributors。HAOLONGGOOD:Design Manufacturer(factory),牧蜥:It is also a cooperative brand, which can be said to be a family.  Have served pnso。HAOLONGGOOD(好龙谷):We are trying a new design style to produce PVC products and make a different product experience.Material, paint, carving,I hope you will be tolerant and thank you for your attention. :)

Takama

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 23, 2021, 09:13:36 AM
Enjoy your time away avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx!  I didn't think there were any mass-produced Dicraeosaurus around, but I didn't actually check to be certain.  I have a feeling that there might have been a resin at some point, but if so, I don't have it.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on August 23, 2021, 01:12:15 AM

Shane Foulkes made a resin kit.  And Starlux made one in the past

ceratopsian

Thank you for the info avatar_Takama @Takama. Thank you V @vampiredesign. HaoLongGood is doing an excellent job. 

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your dicreaosaurus (I know they are late) I said, that dicreaosaurus is a worthy and necessary figure for every dinosaur lover. Magnificent descriptive contribution of the product yours, more extensive and more detailed can not be in the forum conversations like yours. I'm so happy for you.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: