You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ceratopsian's custom paints and everything else: new 10 May 2024

Started by ceratopsian, March 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyCollector

As avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy mentioned I also like the transition from bright orange of the head to a more faded colour. That's a really nice touch on the Magyarosaurus. The base really stands out - I like this idea on the sauropod walking along the shore. I already wrote to you what I think of the Caiujara - it's so beautiful!

Halichoeres

The Magyarosaurus turned out beautifully! I like the flame orange up around the head and neck. The base is really well done too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Thank you avatar_acro-man @acro-man - doing more photography helps me improve!  But still I find the very small models difficult.  Thank you too everyone else for your compliments.

Today I'm going to show something entirely different.

I was quite torn when David Silva announced his ceratopsian series.  As you might guess from my name here on the forum, I have a soft spot for ceratopsians.  But I don't find articulation personally so appealing.  I had ordered just a couple of the environment packs from the raptor series and I wasn't completely thrilled with them.  The tree doesn't stand without support.  Nor did I fall in love with small raptors.  I must confess that if they disappeared from my collection overnight, I wouldn't miss them.  After much thought and consideration, I supported the Kickstarter for the ceratopsians.  Despite my reservations about articulation and colour, I liked the look of the models, so I ordered quite a few more in Backerkit too. 

My three from the first wave turned up not long ago via Everything Dinosaur.  Rather to my surprise, I fell in love with them as soon as I had attached their neat little tails.  I quickly ordered two more (my father had sent me a cheque for birthday/Christmas, so it seemed ideal as a treat).  I had wondered how I would feel about the bright (to say the least!) colour schemes.  But somewhat to my astonishment, despite having no illusions as to the unlikelihood of the original animal sporting colours like this, I love them in aesthetic terms.  Their brilliant jewel-like appearance is perfect for driving away the winter blues.  They remind me oddly of stained glass windows or glass tesserae mosaics.

So here's a few photos - I'll split the group into two and put the rest up maybe tomorrow.

First up, the Monoclonius.  I don't know anything about Dinoriders, but I have a great fondness for Monoclonius because I can remember seeing a picture of it in what I think was the first dinosaur book I ever saw.  Not mine, my family was a great believer in public libraries.  I'm not sure how old I was - eight or nine maybe?  I was utterly captivated by the horned dinosaur.  I've no idea why.  Maybe it reminded me subliminally of the horned cattle in the westerns I loved so much.  So the genus carries a great weight of nostalgia for me.

And next the Zuniceratops:

I should confess that I ordered two more yesterday! 

Dusty Wren

Congrats on your BotM ceratopsians! Which additional ones did you end up ordering?

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 24, 2020, 02:58:44 PM
I had wondered how I would feel about the bright (to say the least!) colour schemes.  But somewhat to my astonishment, despite having no illusions as to the unlikelihood of the original animal sporting colours like this, I love them in aesthetic terms.  Their brilliant jewel-like appearance is perfect for driving away the winter blues.  They remind me oddly of stained glass windows or glass tesserae mosaics.

I agree with this, 100%. While I don't think the real animals were quite so flamboyant, these figures exist as physical objects on my shelf, not as real animals. And from that standpoint, they are just so aesthetically pleasing. Even my friends and family who have no interest in dinosaur toys have commented on how cool they are. I love the comparison to stained glass windows; that's a perfect way to look at them.
Check out my customs thread!

ceratopsian

avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren - I now have in addition, to Monoclonius and Zuniceratops, the juvenile Triceratops (part of my original order); then the Chasmosaurus belli and the Medusaceratops turned up; and now the Diabloceratops and Nasutoceratops are on their way.  I'm wondering about the Styracosaurus - but that might be just too bright!  I don't plan on ordering the Protoceratops or Psittacosaurus.  But I might still be tempted by the "juvenile Centrosaurus".

Your comment about your friends and family is interesting - my husband, who normally has no interest in my models other than dutifully admiring them when they turn up (especially the resins), seems very taken with my BotM ceratopsians.  They are mostly still in the sitting room and far from making his usual comments about models lingering outside my study or model room (basically "When are they going to move?"), he seems very taken with them and even commented the other night that the two on the hi-fi speaker look very content chatting to each other.

ceratopsian

And here's a few more images:

The Chasmosaurus:

The juvenile Triceratops:

And a couple of group shots:

If you want hi-res or more photos, here's the link to my Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157717491919262

Shonisaurus

I am seriously considering buying next year at everythingdinosaurus (perhaps my favorite dinosaur shop) one by one all the Beast of the Mesoic figures by David Silva especially the ceratopsids especially when fortunately the EU is not going to impose tariffs on British products , is for me very good news and a Christmas gift.

Halichoeres

They are very eye-catching (and photogenic too!). I have a few of the dromaeosaurs in my office, and people always comment on those, too, although they aren't the only toys in there!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Dusty Wren

Glad to see your herd is growing! I didn't end up getting the trike, but I think it has my favorite color scheme out of the whole lineup.

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 24, 2020, 04:12:31 PM
Your comment about your friends and family is interesting - my husband, who normally has no interest in my models other than dutifully admiring them when they turn up (especially the resins), seems very taken with my BotM ceratopsians.  They are mostly still in the sitting room and far from making his usual comments about models lingering outside my study or model room (basically "When are they going to move?"), he seems very taken with them and even commented the other night that the two on the hi-fi speaker look very content chatting to each other.

This is such a sweet story ^-^
Check out my customs thread!

ceratopsian

Returning again to the Shapeways prints from Wild Past, our own avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector: along with the Magyarosaurus, I also ordered the Repenomamus and Psittacosaurus diorama.  At 1:35 these would have been minute, so I went for 1:20 scale.  They are still very small!  The base is about 18 x 9 cm; the Psittacosaurus is about 9 cm long; the Repenomamus about 5 cm long (straight line measurement).

I'd been keen on the idea of having a Repenomamus model in my collection for some time, and sadly I'd contacted Paleo-Creatures too late to get one.  The discovery of a Repenomamus robustus fossil with the bones and teeth of a young Psittacosaurus in its stomach makes it irresistible, regardless of whether it actively hunted them or scavenged them.  It would have made a wonderful display if there had been baby psittacosaurs available for the diorama - but they would have been ridiculously small.  So I went for the next best thing and asked Martin Garratt to include a nest, so the adult Psittacosaurus could be shown defending its nest from the marauding mammal.

I asked Martin to follow roughly the colour scheme on the Bob Nicholls life-size model of the Psittacosaurus, for which we have evidence of its coloration.  I asked for the Repenomamus to be more interesting than a plain monotone brown (the sort of rodent beaver/rat colours you often see): so maybe some stripes, badger-like markings, whatever.  At the same time I didn't want it to be garish and I wanted it to blend into its surroundings.  Camouflage is always a good thing!  The evidence for environment for this pair of creatures seems to be thick forest or woodland.  Not something one can easily achieve on a model base!  So I asked Martin if he could perhaps suggest this at least, and get some height variation on the lines of a woodland dell.  I think he did pretty well here by building up the back of the base and scattering about some leaf fragments.  Plus plenty of footprints of course.  I'm always keen to have footprints!

The small size of the animals means I'm not completely happy with my photographs, but they will give you a flavour.

I had hoped to see the fossil of R. robustus with the young Psittacosaurus bones in its stomach in the Paleozoological Museum of China, Beijing, when I visited in April 2019: sadly it wasn't on display:

At least I saw one in the Liaoning Museum of Paleontology - though I wasn't completely sure if it was a cast or not:

If you want more, or hi-res photos, here's my Flickr album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157717532333897

Edited: I realised that the museum photos were "private" on Flickr, but that is now changed!

Shonisaurus

Well, honestly, the work of Martin Garratt has been outstanding, and the photography is great. My congratulations on your new Wild Past acquisitions.

Halichoeres

That's a phenomenal diorama! I'm always impressed by how much detail Mr. Garratt squeezes into tiny subjects. Congrats on a beautiful piece.

postsaurischian

:D  C'est fantastique! What a beautiful little diorama. Love the Repenomamus' colour scheme. It gives the animal a mixture of Wolverine and Badger character.

ceratopsian

Thank you avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, and avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian.

Today is my last post of 2020.  I'll begin by thanking the forum.  I've found being part of this virtual community has been a support in these frightening and difficult times.  Where I am, I expect the first few months of 2021 to be much worse than what we have already endured in 2020.  But there is hope for later in the year.

On to today's model: this is my second repaint by Ben Van Steenberge.  It was again something of a luxury, as I already have the original factory version of the PNSO "A-Qi, the Young Sinoceratops".  But it's quite small and I felt I could squeeze in a second version.  Ben's version lives in my cabinets, the original sits on the narrow shelf in my study where the bookcases meet the storage cupboards below.  I purchased this one before Ben had finished it and so had some input into the final stages of work.  I opted for a simple base, as I think the model benefits visually from a bit of height above the ground.  But I didn't want it too elaborate or fancy, as I thought it would detract from the model.

The link to my Flickr album for hi-res or further images:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69501171@N03/albums/72157717641330161

Halichoeres

I'm glad to hear you've found the forum to be a respite. We're bracing for the worst here as well, so I'll probably continue to escape here.

Meanwhile, you're halfway to a full clutch of Sinoceratops chicks!

Bokisaurus

Hoping  for a better 2021 while bracing for a rough few first months!
Yes, definitely having be a part of a community was very helpful .
I love that new look on the baby!🥰 and those subtle blues!
It's interesting how thaw change in colors also somewhat change the personality of it, this looks a little more reserved while the original colors looks more playful. Is that true in person or just in photos? Either way, absolutely adorable and impressive paint!

Have a wonderful new year and continue to stay safe and healthy!😃

ceratopsian

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 31, 2020, 04:41:23 PM
Meanwhile, you're halfway to a full clutch of Sinoceratops chicks!

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres: don't tempt me!

Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 31, 2020, 05:00:22 PM

It's interesting how thaw change in colors also somewhat change the personality of it, this looks a little more reserved while the original colors looks more playful. Is that true in person or just in photos? Either way, absolutely adorable and impressive paint!

B @Bokisaurus:  I think you are absolutely right.  The new colours give the creature a much more shy look, while the original looks more mischievous and outgoing.  How amazing what a different emotional feel different colours give!

Faelrin

You've had a lot of beautiful acquisitions lately. I think my favorite may be that Psittacosaurus and Repenomamus pair so far of these most recent ones.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ceratopsian

Thanks Faelrin. I think the time scale is a bit misleading. It's more that I have been very busy with my camera recently, which has telescoped the acquisition time frame!  I'll have less time again for photos from next week when my adult education classes start up again, so I've made a big effort to catch up over the holidays.

Quote from: Faelrin on December 31, 2020, 07:53:57 PM
You've had a lot of beautiful acquisitions lately. I think my favorite may be that Psittacosaurus and Repenomamus pair so far of these most recent ones.

Shonisaurus

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian The PNSO Baby Sinoceratops repainted looked great. This repaint by Martín Garratt gives a vision of sculpture and painting that is more realistic and further away from his vision a bit nerdy about the painting that PNSO has given to the initial figure.

By the way I am very happy that you are here happy. avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres On the other hand, from what you comment, the situation of Covid 19 must be terrible, I ask you because since my father died I have not watched television since the end of July of this year and I do not see practically any news since I am dedicated to reading novels and books as Groucho Marx says I prefer to read a book to watch television. Is the current situation so bad due to the Covid-19 problem for you to make those comments. I read the headlines of online newspapers on the Internet and I honestly do not find the situation of the pandemic so alarming.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: