News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Ceratosaurus on May 03, 2019, 04:45:59 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 03, 2019, 04:04:36 AM
Quote from: suspsy on May 03, 2019, 03:41:26 AM
I caved and ordered the Ankylosaurus. To be honest, this new size class is almost kind of scary in terms of its potential. This is really going to put PNSO in the exact same running as CollectA and Safari.

Yup, I'll be ordering it too. I was thinking about how with this new line PNSO will make Papo basically obsolete. These models will look as good as or better than Papo, have a similar price point, and actually be accurate.

I believe you could be speaking to fast. I love PNSO but we're looking at a big drop off in quality from the museum line to this new line. Papo's accuracy over the years has improved quite a bit. I'll wait and see how it goes but I don't see Papo being obsolete. Zhao Chuang is my favourite Paleoartist and sculpter but even I know you get what you pay for most of the time.

I might be jumping the gun a bit but it's really just idle speculation anyway. I would argue that Papo really hasn't improved over the years with a lot of recent models being of significantly lower quality than they were some years ago. Models like the Iguanodon and Amargasaurus were a complete bust in my opinion and even the good models still have some glaring accuracy or posture issues. On top of that, they're expensive. It's too early to see what PNSO will do with this new line but the Ankylosaurus excites me more than anything from Papo in the last few years. And I don't see any kind of quality drop from PNSO either. I've always hoped for a company with realism, accuracy, and affordability and it looks like PNSO might fill that niche.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Gwangi on May 03, 2019, 01:29:56 PM
Quote from: Ceratosaurus on May 03, 2019, 04:45:59 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 03, 2019, 04:04:36 AM
I caved and ordered the Ankylosaurus. To be honest, this new size class is almost kind of scary in terms of its potential. This is really going to put PNSO in the exact same running as CollectA and Safari.

Yup, I'll be ordering it too. I was thinking about how with this new line PNSO will make Papo basically obsolete. These models will look as good as or better than Papo, have a similar price point, and actually be accurate.

I believe you could be speaking to fast. I love PNSO but we're looking at a big drop off in quality from the museum line to this new line. Papo's accuracy over the years has improved quite a bit. I'll wait and see how it goes but I don't see Papo being obsolete. Zhao Chuang is my favourite Paleoartist and sculpter but even I know you get what you pay for most of the time.

I might be jumping the gun a bit but it's really just idle speculation anyway. I would argue that Papo really hasn't improved over the years with a lot of recent models being of significantly lower quality than they were some years ago. Models like the Iguanodon and Amargasaurus were a complete bust in my opinion and even the good models still have some glaring accuracy or posture issues. On top of that, they're expensive. It's too early to see what PNSO will do with this new line but the Ankylosaurus excites me more than anything from Papo in the last few years. And I don't see any kind of quality drop from PNSO either. I've always hoped for a company with realism, accuracy, and affordability and it looks like PNSO might fill that niche.

with all respect to your opinion I have to disagree.

PNSO has very good dinosaurs but they have their faults. They struggle with paint applications being lower quality as well as dinosaurs with movable jaws tend to either struggle with keeping their mouths open or closed. Something Papo doesnt struggle with. Their Museum line is also rather pricey at an average of $60+ USD whereas Papo's most expensive figure has been its Brachiosaurus at $50 USD.

Papo has its paint quality issues but ij a different way. Older models suffer and newer models tend to have a duller paint app than the catalogue. However they keep their quality control very good for them and their movable jaws so they can be positioned without hesitation. With a papo I dont have to worry about a paint job being drastically different except duller or the same as the catalogue. You pay for quality that is consistent. I just recently bought a second Acro from them and unlike some stories of lower quality paint its actually got more red than the one i got as soon as they came out.

Accuracy aside Papo has them beat in this. But in the grand scheme of things both are top tier companies since both artists who make the dinosaurs really do make beautiful works of art that I find rivals resin kits with the right paint job. Honestly these are the only two companies i care about collecting everything they have because of it. Also because of that sweet smell.of opening a museum line PNSO box brings me vhildhood nostalgia of the animatronic dinosaur exhibits lol.

Forgot to mention that avatar_Ceratosaurus @Ceratosaurus has a point in papo quality. It has been improving to where Papo is now back up as the better or equal than Rebor in terms of sharpness and details. Just because they tried out Movable jaws on one herbivore and had another sculptor do a couple of their weaker dinos doesnt mean that the line has dropped in quality when it comes to the main artist who keeps getting better.

My only big problem with papo is the stupid poses that can ruin an otherwise great sculpt.

I can agree with the lower priced items from PNSO filling a niche but so far its just an anky and a stego. I dont think they will be carrying over Lucas or Wilson into a smaller line anytime soon. So getting the big hitters everyone wants will still cost as much as an old Rebor model if not more like Essien at $85 USD.

Cant complain though. Vitae's Giga was around 75-150 dollars and its not getting any cheaper especially with the hotrendous quality that Vitae has but thats a topic for another day.

All in all PNSO despite having a couple of small issues is quickly moving up the ladder for many of us. Not to mention this would be a dry year if it wasnt for PNSO releasing alot of models that they planned years ago.

Gwangi

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on May 03, 2019, 03:08:30 PM

No worries, it's not really an opinion, just a thought that came to me in passing. Not a lot to go by yet, just a prediction for a possible future. PNSO is new on the scene and has some kinks to work out, I acknowledge all of that. But for me Papo has become increasingly underwhelming and I can foresee a future where PNSO comes out on top. You guys are taking my one-off speculatory comment and forming extensive treatises over it.

I've seen a lot of Papo models with poor paint application, just look at Takama's Pteranodon comparison. They also use a glossy paint job on occasion that ruins the models they're applied to. The PNSO museum line is also not what I'm talking about so not worth mentioning, I'm talking about the new size range that the new Megalodon and Ankylosaurus are in.

My problem isn't with just the Iguanodon and Amargasaurus, those are just the example I used. I can look at virtually every Papo model and give you a good reason why I won't dish out $30 for it, and usually it's because of the accuracy, or pose which you even mentioned. And the pose is a big deal, a toy can be easily repainted but not so easily reposed. I personally haven't seen any great improvements from Papo. They constantly drop the ball on genera that they should be doing better with. Buy hey, that's just like, my opinion, man.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Gwangi on May 03, 2019, 04:06:32 PM

No worries, it's not really an opinion, just a thought that came to me in passing. Not a lot to go by yet, just a prediction for a possible future. PNSO is new on the scene and has some kinks to work out, I acknowledge all of that. But for me Papo has become increasingly underwhelming and I can foresee a future where PNSO comes out on top. You guys are taking my one-off speculatory comment and forming extensive treatises over it.

I've seen a lot of Papo models with poor paint application, just look at Takama's Pteranodon comparison. They also use a glossy paint job on occasion that ruins the models they're applied to. The PNSO museum line is also not what I'm talking about so not worth mentioning, I'm talking about the new size range that the new Megalodon and Ankylosaurus are in.

My problem isn't with just the Iguanodon and Amargasaurus, those are just the example I used. I can look at virtually every Papo model and give you a good reason why I won't dish out $30 for it, and usually it's because of the accuracy, or pose which you even mentioned. And the pose is a big deal, a toy can be easily repainted but not so easily reposed. I personally haven't seen any great improvements from Papo. They constantly drop the ball on genera that they should be doing better with. Buy hey, that's just like, my opinion, man.

Papo has had issues with paint quality over time i acknowledge that yes.

But as every other discussion that includes Rebor or Papo compared to cheaper alternatives like Safari and CollectA it always comes down to the same individuals who appreciate accuracy over sculpting details and price range...Which there is nothing wrong with. Everyone has a different preference for collecting.

i just dont think one brand will come out on top over another due to this. Just like Rebor, Papo has its own following. Not everyone will start buying one brand over another just because of price and accuracy as seen by those who buy Rebor. As price goes everyone has different ranges. You either have those that can only afford safari, CollectA and some papos to those that can afford to drop thousands on Resin kits. Which brings us to the point that price alone doesnt mean everything when you see alot of individuals who buy certain brands and dont look like they will be switching anytime soon.

Even then I still prefer PNSO for their neutral poses, sculpting work, sizes that work better with my resin figures. Their bases are better than Rebor and their packaging is the best. But most importantly they arent copy pasting JP knock offs and are making other dinosaurs that companies like Rebor and Papo seem to ignore such as their Yangchuanosaurus and Chungkingosaurus and many of their Chinese sauropods and the only good soon to be mass produced Yuty since Rebor's is rather lacking.

Other than that their Giganotosaurus is the first one to me that is aesthethically pleasing and very detailed unlike every other one that came before that wasn't a resin kit. Then again thats just my view on this particular topic. I stand to be wrong or right on some of the things i said  ;)

Concavenator

If they release their Spinosaurus sculpt in this new range,I would be so happy   :P

Concavenator

Wait,it's available already? Could you post some pics when you get yours?
I don't like Ankylosaurus itself, but this model is nice.

PS-Sorry for double post  :-[

suspsy

Quote from: Concavenator on May 03, 2019, 07:17:32 PM

Yes, Halichoeres posted a couple of Amazon links a page or so back.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Concavenator on May 03, 2019, 07:17:32 PM

its on amazon bud.

Now that the supposed two models that got priority over Lucas are out im hoping he's next or at least the stego

postsaurischian

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on May 03, 2019, 04:45:38 PM

But as every other discussion that includes Rebor or Papo compared to cheaper alternatives like Safari and CollectA it always comes down to the same individuals who appreciate accuracy over sculpting details and price range...Which there is nothing wrong with. Everyone has a different preference for collecting.

i just dont think one brand will come out on top over another due to this. Just like Rebor, Papo has its own following. Not everyone will start buying one brand over another just because of price and accuracy as seen by those who buy Rebor. As price goes everyone has different ranges. You either have those that can only afford safari, CollectA and some papos to those that can afford to drop thousands on Resin kits. Which brings us to the point that price alone doesnt mean everything when you see alot of individuals who buy certain brands and dont look like they will be switching anytime soon.

Even then I still prefer PNSO for their neutral poses, sculpting work, sizes that work better with my resin figures. Their bases are better than Rebor and their packaging is the best. But most importantly they arent copy pasting JP knock offs and are making other dinosaurs that companies like Rebor and Papo seem to ignore such as their Yangchuanosaurus and Chungkingosaurus and many of their Chinese sauropods and the only good soon to be mass produced Yuty since Rebor's is rather lacking.

Other than that their Giganotosaurus is the first one to me that is aesthethically pleasing and very detailed unlike every other one that came before that wasn't a resin kit. Then again thats just my view on this particular topic. I stand to be wrong or right on some of the things i said  ;)

I - as some might know - am collecting any kind of Dinosaur figure or model, as long as it pleases me. I have to say I'm happy with the fact that nowadays there a so many different companies producing high quality figures. This increases the probability that there will be at least one model of each species that I really like :) . My favourite collecting scales are 1:35 and 1:20 and both of these collections consist of figures of many different brands and sculptors. They tend to go together better and better with the years. The development of the Dinosaur Toy market is overwhelming and after more than 45 years of collecting I can say that each and every of my childhood Dinosaur dreams got already fulfilled O:-) .
So keep on producing those wonderful things - you PNSOs, Papos, Safaris, CollectAs, Kaiyodos, Vitaes, REBORs or even Schleichs ?! ;D ... as one natural law says: Diversity rules!!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 03, 2019, 09:05:45 PM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on May 03, 2019, 04:45:38 PM

I - as some might know - am collecting any kind of Dinosaur figure or model, as long as it pleases me. I have to say I'm happy with the fact that nowadays there a so many different companies producing high quality figures. This increases the probability that there will be at least one model of each species that I really like :) . My favourite collecting scales are 1:35 and 1:20 and both of these collections consist of figures of many different brands and sculptors. They tend to go together better and better with the years. The development of the Dinosaur Toy market is overwhelming and after more than 45 years of collecting I can say that each and every of my childhood Dinosaur dreams got already fulfilled O:-) .
So keep on producing those wonderful things - you PNSOs, Papos, Safaris, CollectAs, Kaiyodos, Vitaes, REBORs or even Schleichs ?! ;D ... as one natural law says: Diversity rules!!

Honestly, I totally agree. All the brands of dinosaurs and prehistoric collectible and even toy animals are necessary in the market for example the brands Nanmu Studio, Beasts of the Mesozoic, Favorite, Kaiyodo or Colorata that you have not named apart from those mentioned and even Recur. Diversity enriches the panorama of which we are collectors and even makes us see the diversity of artistic philosophies that each brand has.

tanystropheus

With models such as Therizinosaurus, I really don't see Papo decreasing in quality. They've been consistent, disbarring that rogue sculptor.

Regarding PNSO (and, Eofauna, for that matter), there is tremendous potential to be had...while I love the deluxe size at quarter the price tag of the Sideshow, my home can only support so many models before maxing capacity...I am absolutely enthralled by the new line of PNSO products. It makes sense, they have minis and deluxe, so why not normal size? The only problem is that I can't figure out which models will be laying around for the next few years so I can save up cash and buy it in a lot or so (as I've noticed the first generation PNSO products have been discontinued...perhaps, only to return in normal size format?).

Also, imagine what would happen to the market if Sideshow starts making normal size models at $40 or less!! :o

Silvanusaurus

I'm not hugely into ankylosaurs but there is something about the persona of this new PNSO that I find very endearing, and while the small Megalodon looks kind of shonky from some angles I do fancy having a weird, chunky shark with a moving jaw, so I may just reserve these with ED. The Spinosaurus is impressive and all but I just can't make myself like it enough to justify the purchase.

Fembrogon

I just happened across some majorly discounted listings for a few figures on AliExpress -

Example
Example
Example
Example

Are these definitely legit? ...Because I'd be all over a Megalodon for that price.

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: Fembrogon on May 04, 2019, 06:11:25 AM
I just happened across some majorly discounted listings for a few figures on AliExpress -

Example
Example
Example
Example

Are these definitely legit? ...Because I'd be all over a Megalodon for that price.

I can confirm I just purchased my PNSO Spinosaurus from one of the sellers who are in your links. It came shipped without the original packaging but everything was fine when it arrived. I had never ordered from AliExpress before either so I was nervous. Ended up getting the Spinosaurus for under $60 US after shipping. I live in Canada and it arrived in a week and a half. I will order from them again for sure.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Syndicate Bias

Wow i paid 85 for mine. I feel robbed aha.

I asked PNSO a while ago if they will maybe consider a Carcha eventually

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on May 04, 2019, 06:58:34 AM
I asked PNSO a while ago if they will maybe consider a Carcha eventually

Most of their figures in the museum line seem to be larger theropods and others which are of a similar size. Can't see them going for too many small dinosaurs that wouldn't fit their 1:35(more like 1:30) scale. I'd say Carcha fits in to their plans.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Ceratosaurus

That yutyrannus is getting closer. Although I doubt this is anything official.

Shonisaurus

From what I see, PNSO is going to get a plesiosauroid. What kind of plesiosauroid will it be? It seems closer to being revealed in the PNSO collector's market than the yutyrannus. Only the prototype appears from the yutyrannus, the PNSO plesiosauroid is a finished figure (painted even).

Dobber

Quote from: Ceratosaurus on May 04, 2019, 01:58:03 PM
That yutyrannus is getting closer. Although I doubt this is anything official.

Nice! So the unreleased theropods are Giganatosaurus, Yutyrannus (unpainted correct?), and...what is the one that looks like it is circling prey?

Also, is that an Elasamosaurus in the bottom right!?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Ceratosaurus

After another look I believe the pictures were just taken from existing images. I know I've seen that plesiosaur before froma PNSO event. Also this Yutyrannus from an event on their Facebook page. False Alarm...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: