News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2017 Hopes & Dreams

Started by Concavenator, July 21, 2016, 12:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 04, 2016, 09:18:39 PM
You know, it's high time either Safari or Collecta did an Archelon. Safari especially. They've got all the other great sea reptiles covered! Pliosaurs, Plesiosaurs, Ichthyosaurs, Mosasaurs, Sea Crocodylians: all they're missing is prehistoric turtles!

An Archelon would indeed be great!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

I have a new dream for the future and it's that PNSO keeps growing in Occident and that they release some smaller size figures (or bigger if you think of the minis) in a range similar to Wild Safari or 1:40 scale, something like that.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Joe289 on September 08, 2016, 01:54:08 PM
I have a new dream for the future and it's that PNSO keeps growing in Occident and that they release some smaller size figures (or bigger if you think of the minis) in a range similar to Wild Safari or 1:40 scale, something like that.

I want them to make the entire Jehol biota in miniature.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

pylraster

I just want CollectA figures to return to the Philippines. :p And I hope Papo makes it here too. Sick of Schleich!

Derek.McManus

Quote from: suspsy on September 04, 2016, 10:42:55 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 04, 2016, 09:18:39 PM
You know, it's high time either Safari or Collecta did an Archelon. Safari especially. They've got all the other great sea reptiles covered! Pliosaurs, Plesiosaurs, Ichthyosaurs, Mosasaurs, Sea Crocodylians: all they're missing is prehistoric turtles!

An Archelon would indeed be great!

I second this opinion! 😀

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Anybody have an inkling of when Collecta might start teasing their new figures?

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 20, 2016, 03:02:01 AM
Probably around November, thats when they usually reveal them.
I am the Dinosaur King!

suspsy

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 20, 2016, 06:06:08 AM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 20, 2016, 03:02:01 AM
Probably around November, thats when they usually reveal them.

Or perhaps in October. I sure hope there's a better variety of dinosaurs this time. The 2016 assortment consisted of fabulous toys, but there really were too many theropods.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: suspsy on September 20, 2016, 12:31:29 PM

Or perhaps in October. I sure hope there's a better variety of dinosaurs this time. The 2016 assortment consisted of fabulous toys, but there really were too many theropods.

I hope for more variety too, last 2 years have been mostly theropods and it's like 3 years or so since CollectA made an hadrosaur.

sauroid

more prehistoric mammals and birds from CollectA please.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

Quote from: sauroid on September 20, 2016, 02:23:57 PM
more prehistoric mammals and birds from CollectA please.

Personally, I think CollectA should ascend to a new level of uniqueness and give us a prehistoric penguin like Palaeeudyptes or Icadyptes.

In any case, it's going to be tough for them to match Safari's 2017 lineup. But not impossible.

Halichoeres

I for one would like to see CollectA go Paleozoic, or at least Triassic.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

If we're talking penguins why not Kairuku, it was basically unknown until it appeared in ARK but now the name is at least familiar enough for a decent portion of people to know it's a penguin. Otherwise the only way they'd get the idea across would be to base it on a modern penguin, which would defeat the point of not doing a modern penguin.

suspsy

I think people can recognize that Icadyptes is a penguin, albeit a weird-looking one:

Irritation

Here is what I want to see for 2017:
Papo:
Achelousaurus or Torosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Torvosaurus or Saurophaganax
Tuojiangosaurus
Euoplocephalus
Deinonychus
Corythosaurus
Polacanthus
Iguanodon, Acrocanthosaurus, and Giganotosaurus possibly confirmed
Collect A:
Giant Jobaria on all four
Shauntungosaurus
Deluxe Megaraptor
Deluxe Anchiceratops
Futabasaurus
Schleich and Safari LTD already revealed most of theirs.

Silvanusaurus

I know this will sound like an unreasonably high hope, but my dream would be that Safari reveal an overwhelming selection of new figures including, but not limited to, a beautifully feathered T. rex, Velociraptor, Deinocheirus and Coelophysis. A new Microraptor would be great too, but that's probably pushing it.

Wait...

suspsy

I'm not sure CollectA would revisit Jobaria, at least not at the Deluxe scale. I like the idea of a Deluxe Shantungosaurus though.

BlueKrono

You guys have reminded me of a lot of good ideas. This year I'd love to see:

A Gerrothorax from a major company. I have an uncommonly great affinity for this prehistoric beastie.
Chirostenotes. Enough Oviraptor already.
Dicraeosaurus
Xiphactinus. It is time. Or maybe even Leedsichthys, but I think that's an even longer shot.
Wouldn't Anomalocaris be cool?
Proganochelys. Could make a fantastic sculpt of this prehistoric turtle. Meiolania would be cool too.
Diplocaulus. Well known, always a favorite. Prionosuchus would be super cool, but again, a long shot.
Olorotitan

Getting into more obscure species... I wouldn't expect to see these from anyone but CollectA (and yes, I was familiar with Ichthyovenator before they released their model  8)). I would love to see them make Brachytrachelopan, my favorite sauropod. No one's ever made one yet. Super unique, with a split sailfin like Amargasaurus, but also the only known sauropod with a neck shorter than its body. Almost looked like an ornithopod, whose biological niche it filled, there being no ornithopods on its continent at the time. We've seen a couple "flying lizards" like Kuehneosaurus and Icarosaurus, but it would be cool to see a flying squirrel-like Hypuronector! And probably the longest shot of all: the strangest-looking prehistoric animal of all time: Cyamodus.

Normally I would be clamoring for more Andrewsarchus and their relatives the entolodonts, but recent years have seen a profusion of them, to my great satisfaction. CollectA's 2016 version of Andy is spectacular, and one of the most accurate depictions yet. Mojo and CollectA have also released entelodont Daeodon just in the last couple years, so I'm sated on that front.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Manatee

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 06, 2016, 02:44:29 AM
You guys have reminded me of a lot of good ideas. This year I'd love to see:

A Gerrothorax from a major company. I have an uncommonly great affinity for this prehistoric beastie.
Chirostenotes. Enough Oviraptor already.
Dicraeosaurus
Xiphactinus. It is time. Or maybe even Leedsichthys, but I think that's an even longer shot.
Wouldn't Anomalocaris be cool?
Proganochelys. Could make a fantastic sculpt of this prehistoric turtle. Meiolania would be cool too.
Diplocaulus. Well known, always a favorite. Prionosuchus would be super cool, but again, a long shot.
Olorotitan

Getting into more obscure species... I wouldn't expect to see these from anyone but CollectA (and yes, I was familiar with Ichthyovenator before they released their model  8)). I would love to see them make Brachytrachelopan, my favorite sauropod. No one's ever made one yet. Super unique, with a split sailfin like Amargasaurus, but also the only known sauropod with a neck shorter than its body. Almost looked like an ornithopod, whose biological niche it filled, there being no ornithopods on its continent at the time. We've seen a couple "flying lizards" like Kuehneosaurus and Icarosaurus, but it would be cool to see a flying squirrel-like Hypuronector! And probably the longest shot of all: the strangest-looking prehistoric animal of all time: Cyamodus.

Normally I would be clamoring for more Andrewsarchus and their relatives the entolodonts, but recent years have seen a profusion of them, to my great satisfaction. CollectA's 2016 version of Andy is spectacular, and one of the most accurate depictions yet. Mojo and CollectA have also released entelodont Daeodon just in the last couple years, so I'm sated on that front.

I'd say my list is very similar to yours. Prionosuchus, Dicraeosaurus, Icarosaurus, Cyamodus–really all of them would make fantastic figures. I especially agree with you on Brachytrachelopan, as it's my favorite sauropod as well due to just how unique it is.

BlueKrono

Yay! Someone else who's heard of it! I would like to make a model of it myself actually. I've only seen one skeleton of it but I don't even know where it is. The source makes me think Germany.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: