News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 04, 2016, 04:53:29 PM
Quote from: Sim on December 04, 2016, 03:56:56 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 04, 2016, 02:25:14 PM
There's also more than one aspect to production quality. You can't say "Safari production pieces loose so much more detail that's horrible quality control!" and ignore CollectA and REBOR figures bending over, Schleich figures melting, or all of the aforementioned frequently having the same paint application problems as Safari.

What are you referring to regarding Schleich figures melting?

Imagine the Schleich Ceratosaurus melting away on your shelf...it would like a steaming...
;D
Actually,that would be awesome to see  ;D

Sim

Maybe tanystropheus can melt a Schleich figure for us. ^-^  ;)

Faelrin

Well as long as the quality control is better then it was with the Jurassic World line (I really shouldn't have had to scrutinize every figure for a good paint application because most had sloppy paint applications, before buying), I don't think I'll have any qualms about picking this Feathered Tyrannosaurus up (probably early next year), or any other Safari figure I want. Another thing I've been wondering about, is if it's just me or does the retail version look like it could use a wash? The images of it on the Safari website look like it has a wash to bring out the details on it (the orange areas to be specific).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Silvanusaurus

Schleich's figures having melted at some point would be an easier thought to process than the devastating truth... they were designed to look that way.   ;)

empire3569

I received my feathered Tyrannosaurus from Amazon today, and unfortunately it has the same warped-foot problem :/ I'm going to return it and wait for one of the shops to get it, I would assume all of the current Amazon shipment has this warping problem. Just a heads up to anyone wanting to pull the trigger

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on December 04, 2016, 07:15:42 PM
Maybe tanystropheus can melt a Schleich figure for us. ^-^  ;)

Yes. You are inspiring me to create a youtube channel  ;)
Unfortunately, I don't have any of the first or second generation Schleichs! The Cerato and Carno are prime candidates.

tanystropheus

I suppose I got lucky, but my T-rex doesn't have any of the aforementioned issues. It arrived today. It's worth its price and then some. This is the first Rex that I've purchased from Safari Ltd. Perhaps, the zoom function on the pictures warp the image quality, but this model should appear much better in person. The white paint splash is dilute in my model and doesn't even rise up all that much about the length of the tail. There are no feathers/fur on the pelvic boot and a segment of the underbelly. This is a hefty model and feels more like a Carnegie piece than a Safari. The musculature and bony prominences are all well defined without giving the appearance of a hunger starved beast. It's quite stocky, but not in an awkward, lumbersome kind of way.

(+)excellent texture quality. The feathers on the mane are individually sculpted with texture quality on par with Papo dinosaurs (e.g. Archaeopteryx). The fur (feathers?) going down its back are an impressive quality comparable to the Carnegie mammoth
(+)sharp, non gummy teeth. My version has very sharp teeth that are individually separated; the teeth on the lower jaws are more defined than any of the pictures posted above. The palate/pharyngeal regions are serviceable, not quite on par with that of Papo or REBOR, but within reasonable expectations.
(+)symmetric eyes. Not sure if this is a positive as some folks seem to suggest that non-symmetric eyes add character. My T-rex has eyes that are about level, bilaterally
(+)detailed feet. Again, the quality of the feet aesthetics and textures are on par with a Papo (e.g. Spinosaurus)
(+)stable. As of now, the model is standing very firmly with both feet planted on the ground. The tail adds to the stability and is far from dragging. I cannot picture this model ever drooping or losing gait stability. However, I am keeping the plastic tray if such a situation were to arise.
(+)great color blending and application

(-)boogers on right nostril; random white paint splotch
(-)non-articulated jaws. Not a major issue, but it would have certainly increased the overall playability if the model sported articulation. It almost looks like it should have...but

Definitive T-rex? Yeah, probably.

Overall rating: 9.9/10

Lanthanotus

I somehow can understand peoples wishes to get what they purchased, in case of this (and several other dinosaur figures) a model that stands on its two feet as intended. But personally, I deem the efforts of repackaging an item, taking it to the next post office and then re-ordering it and waiting for it to arrive much more troublesome than boiling a bit of water and fix the problem myself....

... but then again, I also like to repositioning some of my figures anyway and therefor also treat perfectly fine figures.

tanystropheus

Quote from: hao_bao on December 04, 2016, 12:36:09 PM
The feathered Rex looks horrible. It will never grace my cabinet.

I hear Mojo has a decent portfolio of T-rexes.

Jose S.M.

Tanystropheus that was a great commentary, it would work as review for the blog with some editing, and it makes me even more excited to get the figure!

Shonisaurus

I trust more tanystropheus than other members of the forum. With absolute security the feathered tyrannosaurus rex of Safari will be the figure of toy of the 2017, and I say it with all conviction even without they are revealed the dinosaurs of Papo.

When I get such a figure I think without a doubt whether to keep the feathered tyrannosaurus rex attached to the transparent plastic base. Although I trust it is practically stable without these precautions.

Safari 2017 is by far the best dinosaur toy company in the world, closely followed by Collecta.

On the other hand in the only thing that I disagree with tanystropheus according to my criteria and in my way of thinking that the tyrannosaurus rex feathered had articulated jaws. For me in this case fortunately does not have them and for me is a blessing.

Concavenator

@tanystropheus : Could you delight us with some pictures?  ^-^ ;D

Dobber

Got my Rex today from Amazon. I gotta say......this is an absolute work of art! It looks so much better in hand, pictures really don't do it justice. Mine also had the standing issue, but a minutes work with hot water then cold water and it stands perfect now. The white paint app that I didn't like isn't even that bad on mine. Here are some quick pictures.

Binocular vision, CHECK!

Some close-ups:
Great detail inside the mouth

Great eye detail and paint....but a bit sloppy with the teeth and some white got on the snout.

It looks like there is some brass framing in the legs possibly...it's hard to see in the picture but right in the center at the bottom of the leg feathering there is a small gap in the plastic and a bit of brass shines through (he bright spot)

Just for fun with my customized CollectA. I think they pair quite well, size-wise.

When my other Rex comes in from Dan's I think I customize it to go with my CollectA. As of now this new Feathered Rex is the King. Doug you really out did yourself with this sculpt. Congrats!

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Dinomike

Wow! Great work on the T.rex Doug! A must have!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Verahin

I'm still a bit hesitant about the paint app, but I must say that those posted by people here are better than the one shown in the Amazon listing. Or maybe the sculpt is so good that I'm starting to overlook the mass production faults. I might wait for Everything Dinosaur to get it in stock and get myself one, there I can ask Mike to check for a nicely painted one. And also the warping issue to the feet might be fixed in later waves. By the way congrats to the sculptor, I wasn't a fan of his theropods before but this one and the feathered Velociraptor are genuine pieces of paleoart.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Verahin on December 06, 2016, 02:29:29 AM
I'm still a bit hesitant about the paint app, but I must say that those posted by people here are better than the one shown in the Amazon listing. Or maybe the sculpt is so good that I'm starting to overlook the mass production faults. I might wait for Everything Dinosaur to get it in stock and get myself one, there I can ask Mike to check for a nicely painted one. And also the warping issue to the feet might be fixed in later waves. By the way congrats to the sculptor, I wasn't a fan of his theropods before but this one and the feathered Velociraptor are genuine pieces of paleoart.

My T-rex is devoid of feet warping and it is wave 1.

Faelrin

Oh that paint mishap makes me a bit concerned about buying this one online (and quality control), especially for that kind of price. Granted that doesn't mean all would have it, but it's a risk I'm not sure I want to take. On the other hand I'm not even sure any stores around me carry Safari and would even carry this particular figure for me to see it in person prior to purchasing. Say if I did buy this online, and I did get a product with a messed up paint app could I just return it for another? Or would there be a way to fix said paint mishaps without going full blown custom? I really do want this figure, but I do want one without paint mishaps.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Silvanusaurus

Oh man, when is this feller going to be available in the UK?

Brontozaurus

Can someone post a picture of the feathered Rex and the Papo original Rex please? I'm trying to gauge how big the Safari toy is but every photo so far is comparing it to the CollectA deluxe which I don't own (and considering that this exists and I own the smaller CollectA feathered Rex, I probably won't ever own).
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Concavenator

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: