News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 30, 2016, 10:26:31 PM
The same thing occurs in some dolphin skulls, they deal with it by having large openings along the outer edge of the lower lips/flesh for the upper teeth to slide into.

Hardly the same, the upper teeth of a dolphin barely reach the upper edge of the lower jaw let alone the nutrient foramen of a T rex or Ceratosaurus. Most lizards are like the dolphin, evenly sized teeth that just reach the lower jaw if that. Plus the dolphin teeth are smooth and conical rather that wedge shaped with a serrated edge. Personally I will wait with interest to see how Reisz deals with those issues. In a perfect world I would rather someone finds a T rex with mummified lips otherwise it will always be speculation. There is actually a thread dedicated to this discussion already that is better suited to deal with it for those who want to continue. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4012.20

DinoLord

Thanks for redirecting the discussion Doug.  C:-)

As is the case for many thing in paleontology, it's hard to make a definitive conclusion. As long as artists are doing the research and making justified conclusions (vs blindly following memes), I think there's not much more we can ask for.  ;)

suspsy

Between this thread and the one for Schleich, I'd say it's time to create a "New for 2017" section.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on August 31, 2016, 03:27:32 PM
Between this thread and the one for Schleich, I'd say it's time to create a "New for 2017" section.
Yes,perhaps.

I am hoping that a Deinocheirus will be in the lineup!It was (practically) discovered in 2013,and Doug said he had started sculpting the 2017 releases in 2013,which makes Deinocheirus a potential release.
Safari themselves said it was a good...candidate  ;)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on August 31, 2016, 03:39:33 PM
Doug said he had started sculpting the 2017 releases in 2013

I think you meant 2015 which is when I started the 2017s.

Concavenator

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 31, 2016, 03:46:54 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on August 31, 2016, 03:39:33 PM
Doug said he had started sculpting the 2017 releases in 2013

I think you meant 2015 which is when I started the 2017s.
Oops yes,sorry  :-[

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on August 31, 2016, 03:47:51 PM
Oops yes,sorry  :-[

No problem, I gnu what you meant and I often type the wrong sling when I mean something elk.  >:D

Sim

Quote from: terrorchicken on August 29, 2016, 08:58:58 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 28, 2016, 08:41:58 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on August 28, 2016, 08:36:46 PM
I agree. And whats wrong with WS stego's thagomizer? I just see 4 spikes. Enlighten me oh wise ones.  O:-)

The thagomizer spikes are pointing upwards while the modern consensus is that they would have pointed out to the sides.

oh...well great now Im gonna want to check all my stego figures to see which ones are "wrong".  :P

same thing happened to me when I found out theropods didn't have pronated hands. I cant stand figures that have them now.

someone should make a kind of "facts sheet" online reference guide with a picture of correct up to date restoration drawings of all the dino types and arrows pointing to how every part of the anatomy should and shouldn't be drawn/sculpted.  8)

I've seen a lot about correct hands on theropods, ceratopsians and sauropods, but very little about correct stegosaur hands.  My understanding based on the little I've found about it, is Stegosaurus has five fingers, and the first and second fingers are larger and may have been the only ones with a hoof.  The current Wild Safari Stegosaurus has a four-fingered hand and all its fingers are the same size and with hoofs...  Victoria Arbour mentions the Stegosaurus skeleton seen in this blog post has correctly mounted hands, so it appears that's what its hands are like: http://pseudoplocephalus.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/what-i-did-on-my-summer-vacation-take.html

The Wild Safari Stegosaurus's tail is also too short, as can be seen in the image below.  It looks like it just wouldn't work as the defensive weapon it's supposed to be.  I had the figure, but its too short tail is what made me decide not to keep it in the end as I couldn't stand it.

(image source)

Concavenator

I think this would be interesting to post:a comparision (based on promo pictures) of the new Wild Safari 2017 Tyrannosaurus and the one by Carnegie for the 25th anniversary,back in 2014.
Behold the Wild Safari:

And Carnegie's version:

I know the Wild Safari one has not been released yet (though I think I read it will be in October),but which one do you prefer?I think the Wild Safari one looks better overall,feels more consistent and I would say more researched too.It's highly accurate.The Carnegie one is ,while could be accepted as accurate,less so than this new one (as it was sculpted before,and also due to Carnegie's conservativeness),though it looks more gracile and elegant,though I would not say natural.
Taking a look at the azdarchid,I think it's a Quetzalcoatlus,as you can see,its crest looks quite similar to this skeletal by Mark Witton:

However,even though it is the most famous azdarchid,is unusual because I thought Doug said he would not sculpt fragmentary species,and Quetzalcoatlus' appearance is hardly know,except we have a basical image of what Quetzalcoatlus sp. looks like.

sauroid

*Mods please let us have a new for 2017 section. thank you.*
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

John

Quote from: Concavenator on September 05, 2016, 12:02:32 AM

I think this would be interesting to post:a comparision (based on promo pictures) of the new Wild Safari 2017 Tyrannosaurus and the one by Carnegie for the 25th anniversary,back in 2014...

I know the Wild Safari one has not been released yet (though I think I read it will be in October),but which one do you prefer?I think the Wild Safari one looks better overall,feels more consistent and I would say more researched too.It's highly accurate.The Carnegie one is ,while could be accepted as accurate,less so than this new one (as it was sculpted before,and also due to Carnegie's conservativeness),though it looks more gracile and elegant,though I would not say natural.
Taking a look at the azdarchid,I think it's a Quetzalcoatlus,....
However,even though it is the most famous azdarchid,is unusual because I thought Doug said he would not sculpt fragmentary species,and Quetzalcoatlus' appearance is hardly know,except we have a basical image of what Quetzalcoatlus sp. looks like.
As I have the same generally conservative views as the Carnegie Museum when it comes to dinosaurs,I still prefer the 2014 Carnegie Museum Tyrannosaurus rex to the new Wild Safari one (though it is still a fantastic sculpt). :)
As for the Quetzalcoatlus, we know that Doug sculpted two out of the three new prehistoric models seen so far in the promo picture.We're not sure just which two they are just yet... :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

suspsy

Given that Quetzalcoatlus has been known for decades and most professional restorations depict it the same way, I think Doug would be willing to sculpt one. I'm sure he'll reveal which 2017 toys are his as soon as he's permitted.

terrorchicken

I like the 2014 Carnegie T-rex but I didn't get it b/c I already have the 10th anni one which I still like. Though I dont really like the puke green color and that odd colored red head, like is that supposed to be blood or what? the larger Carnegie carnotaurus which I do have has the sloppy red paint on the snout too and Im not crazy for it.

curious about the toobs this year, will we be happily surprised  or another let-down like last year?

Concavenator

I have asked Safari and they have said that the new dinosaurs will be released around mid October.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Concavenator on September 06, 2016, 09:15:54 PM
I have asked Safari and they have said that the new dinosaurs will be released around mid October.

Wow! So early this year! Though like somebody else said, it makes sense to get the new models ready in time for Christmas. I'm surprised they didn't always do it this way. That should mean we'll see the whole line-up soon!

Uncle Rex

Quote from: Dilopho on August 29, 2016, 10:49:56 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 29, 2016, 10:26:32 PM
Careful how quickly you use a label like "ridiculous." Komodo dragons also have a continuous supply of teeth, yet theirs are completely covered by lips. Same goes for all other squamates, even venomous snakes.
Oh, yeah. I suppose. I was thinking of crocodilians.
Doug makes a very strong argument by pointing out pterosaurs' apparent lack of lips, but the possibility of lips on T. rex remains open at least until research needs to be done.
Personally I think it would have had lips like this:

(And by the way, this is one of the scariest images I've ever seen  :o)
It just looks so natural!
In the mean time, the presence or lack of lips on new T. rex toys does not bother me.
Nah, me neither. But I would prefer to see ones like, say, the Collecta deluxe and Papo standing. They have nice mouths but ones like the Papo running have strange ones.

Uncle Rex

Quote from: Dobber on August 29, 2016, 11:44:25 PM
Quote from: fason on August 29, 2016, 10:54:57 PM
ok , while this seems while a serious debate  , i CANT be the only one who looks at this  picture and sees it saying "sup, how ya doing " :P

Frankly I always think of a gorilla when I see that picture.

Chris :-X
. Gorilla, yes. But creepier than that - almost human!

suspsy

Is anyone else as excited to see more pics as I am? Bring 'em on already!

I know I've been wishing for a new Triceratops, but I'd be just as thrilled with Torosaurus.

Concavenator

I truly am.However,if they will be released in mid October,they should be announced inminently.

PaleoMatt

Wait theres more to come O_o

Oh yeah and I'm back here after my abscence! How long was I gone, or did you forget me?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: