News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 22, 2016, 03:22:48 AM
Anyone getting Saurian vibes from the t-rex silhouette? Anyone? ;D

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that  :))

DC

Looks like this is the largest Wild Safari release ever it is larger than the original series release. Does this presage the future?
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Halichoeres

Quote from: DC on September 24, 2016, 04:58:22 PM
Looks like this is the largest Wild Safari release ever it is larger than the original series release. Does this presage the future?

I certainly hope so!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoLord

Quote from: Rain on September 24, 2016, 04:41:47 PM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 22, 2016, 03:22:48 AM
Anyone getting Saurian vibes from the t-rex silhouette? Anyone? ;D

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that  :))

I think the similarity is in that they're both big, feathered, well-muscled T. rex. I'm sure the T. rex was sculpted well before Saurian came up with their latest version.

tanystropheus

Quote from: DC on September 24, 2016, 04:58:22 PM

Yes, w/o Dino Discoveries, Missing Links, Prehistoric Mammals, Dinosaurs of China, Toobs and Carnegie Collection, Safari Ltd. can focus on expanding the core Wild Safari brand.

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 25, 2016, 08:16:17 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 24, 2016, 11:47:24 PM
I doubt the cephalopod is a Humboldt, the fins have too large a surface where they meat the body and don't "fold over" themselves like a Humboldt's do. My money is on a cuttlefish or bobtail squid.

I want a googly-eyed squid  :D
;D YES! We NEED a Googly eyed squid!
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

CarnegieCollector

Dang! All these are gorgeous! I love the V-Raptor!  ^-^
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

SpartanSquat

Safari website is down. They are preparing a full reveal?

Flaffy

Quote from: RolandEden on September 25, 2016, 05:41:15 PM
Safari website is down. They are preparing a full reveal?
Hopefully! Let us all pray to our lord and saviour... Raptor Jesus

Dilopho

It looks like it might just be broken...  :-\

Daspletodave

Quote from: Dilopho on September 20, 2016, 08:10:43 PM

WOW!! Finally one as good as the old Schleich for me!!!

If this image is truly the new Safari Para then I have to say it is derpy! Not worthy of Safari's recent dinos. Certainly no where near the excellent quality of the Battat and Favorite versions. The front limbs are way too thick, the head and body just derpy looking. I'll be skipping this guy.
The other 12 new Safari's are probably must haves - I'll wait till I see the actual pics. This explosion of new dinos from Safari is certainly welcome news, given the LACK of news from Battat.
I can see Safari issuing 10 plus new dinos a year for maybe 4-5 years, so as to get back to where they used to be (when they had the Carnegie line) when they had around 40-50 dinos in their catalogue. After that I can see them slowing down, and only doing around 4-5 new dinos a year.
That's my prediction anyway - remember you read it here first!  ;D

Concavenator

Based on the measurements (18 x 13'5 cm) it looks like it's going to be quite a big Microraptor model!

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 21, 2016, 05:31:55 PM
Sim, I'd been wondering what you thought of this Velociraptor. It hits all the things I think you've found lacking in other versions. I'm glad Safari announced early this year, as I'd been planning to pick up the Papo and now there's no need.

In addition to what I've said about this new Safari Velociraptor previously in this thread, I think it looks very good and promising based on what's been shown in the video and silhouette.  I think all the currently available dromaeosaurid toys don't come close enough to the real animals.  It looks like the 2017 Safari Velociraptor will though!

I had also been planning to get that Papo figure, but I think this new Safari Velociraptor and the Beasts of the Mesozoic Velociraptor look much more like a real Velociraptor.  So, I probably won't need the Papo figure.  That said, I think the Papo feathered Velociraptor is a very nice and impressive figure, and I'm glad Papo made it.

Dilopho

Sim, I'd been wondering what you thought of this Velociraptor. It hits all the things I think you've found lacking in other versions. I'm glad Safari announced early this year, as I'd been planning to pick up the Papo and now there's no need.
Quote from: Sim on September 25, 2016, 08:04:56 PM
I had also been planning to get that Papo figure, but I think this new Safari Velociraptor and the Beasts of the Mesozoic Velociraptor look much more like a real Velociraptor.  So, I probably won't need the Papo figure.  That said, I think the Papo feathered Velociraptor is a very nice and impressive figure, and I'm glad Papo made it.
I think they're on different levels , one has accuracy, one has detail. I would get them both if I could! ^-^
They are both very beautiful figures! But...I don't know why, they just don't remind me of Velociraptor. Safari looks like a Deinonychus, Papo looks like some other raptor. Can't really specify which one though.  ???

Sim

Quote from: Dilopho on September 25, 2016, 08:53:25 PM
They are both very beautiful figures! But...I don't know why, they just don't remind me of Velociraptor. Safari looks like a Deinonychus, Papo looks like some other raptor. Can't really specify which one though.  ???

For the Safari figure, could it be because it's thickly feathered and you're used to seeing Velociraptor featherless or with more body-hugging feathers?  The head of Deinonychus has been inaccurately reconstructed for a long time and in more than one way.  It's known now that a short allosauroid-like head, and a longer Velociraptor-like head are both definitely incorrect for Deinonychus.

An accurate reconstruction of the head of Deinonychus can be seen in Scott Hartman's Deinonychus skeletal: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Terrible-Claw-310579803
And for comparison, here's an accurate Velociraptor skeletal: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Speedy-Plunderer-358749381

The Safari 2017 Velociraptor definitely looks like Velociraptor.  Deinonychus's head looks very different to that of this figure.

As for the Papo feathered Velociraptor, I think its head is quite exaggerated, maybe that's why it doesn't remind you of Velociraptor.

I don't think these two Velociraptor figures look more like other dromaeosaurids than Velociraptor though.

Dilopho

Hmm. Maybe it's just the crests on the Papo?
I really can't explain the Safari one, then. I just personally think it looks not like a Velociraptor:-\
Maybe I'm just used to seeing them reconstructed like this:

Y'know I've been getting really open about dinosaur designs lately!
I mean, I've always a believer of new things on them- I always accept new information on color, stance, feathers etc. But I'm really getting into the weeeiiiirddd dinosaur reconstructions.

Like in John Conway's paintings. I'm sure in time I'll see it as a Velociraptor! It will help when it is released and I can see all angles!  ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on September 25, 2016, 08:04:56 PM

In addition to what I've said about this new Safari Velociraptor previously in this thread, I think it looks very good and promising based on what's been shown in the video and silhouette.  I think all the currently available dromaeosaurid toys don't come close enough to the real animals.  It looks like the 2017 Safari Velociraptor will though!

I agree, I think the Papo feathered raptor is a huge step forward for them and a nice figure in its own right. I almost feel guilty not getting it because I want that gamble to pay off for them. But the Safari one just looks so damn nice and I don't know how many Velociraptors I need.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

[deleted post]

suspsy

Still no change on the Safari website, not even silhouettes of the Microraptor and the Parasaurolophus.:(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on September 26, 2016, 03:51:15 PM
Still no change on the Safari website, not even silhouettes of the Microraptor and the Parasaurolophus.:(
True, suspsy is frustrating, in other years and were fully disclosed all figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: