News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnegieCollector

Woah, they're making a Microraptor too? Wow!
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Silvanusaurus

I'm concerned that my excitement for the advent of these figures is very gradually depleting as the suspense of their reveal is dragged on and on. The original montage image with the T-rex and those video clips were enough of a tease, so whats the big idea?

ceratopsian

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 26, 2016, 08:26:37 PM
I'm concerned that my excitement for the advent of these figures is very gradually depleting as the suspense of their reveal is dragged on and on. ...

That's just how I feel.  My husband commented this evening that at this rate I'll have lost so much of my excitement that I won't get round to buying them.  (But I think that's just wishful thinking on his part!)

Concavenator

True.The bigger the time is,the less the excitement is.So they better show them off soon.I don't really understand why they have announced their extant animals and haven't announced the extinct.

Flaffy

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 26, 2016, 08:26:37 PM
I'm concerned that my excitement for the advent of these figures is very gradually depleting as the suspense of their reveal is dragged on and on. The original montage image with the T-rex and those video clips were enough of a tease, so whats the big idea?
My excitement has depleted a lot already. Why do they do this though? Couldn't they have struck a balance between revealing dragons and revealing prehistorics? I bet you the first 'reveal' of a prehistoric will be one that we've already seen in before in the promo pic.
They just revealed two dragons, one being the final one. Hopefully we'll get to see the prehistoric creatures in the next day or two, but by then, my urge to purchase them have depleted to the stage where I will be heavily considering if I should purchase them or not. Especially with those price tags.  :-[

suspsy

Keep in mind as well that CollectA and Papo have not even begun to reveal their 2017 products. Methinks a lot of wallets are going to be hurting!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

FYI, it has been 35 days since the reveal of the 2017 promo pic, 12-13 updates since the official teaser video, and I truly feel that Safari missed their golden time to reveal the figures. After digging through their posts, I found out that they've already revealed the full list of dragons (no hate towards the dragons, just annoyed by Safari), yet Safari proceeded to 'reveal' the new dragons one by one, which for me killed the hype and excitement for the new figures.

Flaffy

Quote from: suspsy on September 26, 2016, 08:51:16 PM
Keep in mind as well that CollectA and Papo have not even begun to reveal their 2017 products. Methinks a lot of wallets are going to be hurting!
The thing is CollectA and Papo haven't started their hype/excitement train yet, so when they reveal their products, the train will still be brand sparkling new and fresh, as opposed to Safari's month long delay (and still going on).
Also, I don't believe CollectA and Papo ever bothered to tease their products (from personal experience), they just shoved the images right into our faces. A fair amount of teases and hints might bring up the hype even more, but Safari just took way too long, thus letting the hype die down.

Silvanusaurus

They could have at least revealed one dinosaur a day after the silhouettes first came up, or something, if they really wanted to drag it out.
Personally I find it so much more exciting to just open a page and then 'BAM!', there's the image of something in it's full glory, completely fresh to the eyes. From the brief shots in that video, combined with the silhouettes, we've already got a pretty good idea of what a few of these look like; so it won't give the same 'wow' moment when they are revealed properly.

Flaffy

Does anyone follow this routine when seeing a page of new figures or making a new dino toy discovery?
1. Heart skips a beat
2. A HUGE grin on your face
3. Panic scroll through all the available products
4. "Fangirl" over them
5. Try to calm yourself down
6. The cold hard realisation of limited funds strikes you as you figure out how to afford them all.

Faelrin

That's the same with me. I did that when I first found out about Safari, CollectA, BoTM, etc. I hope they show them soon at least. I want to know if I will like the figures of the species I'm interested in (regarding color choices at least), and also so I can get that holiday shopping list together.

I'm still interested in the Werewolf, and the Reef Squid, and some of the other new extant animal figures that have been revealed.  Of those extant animal figures I'm interested in, I'm torn on the Red-Tailed Hawk figure. It looks like it has a very nice looking sculpt, but the painting looks sort of simplistic to me. That is one of my favorite birds though, and I don't have any figures of it yet, so I'll probably still get it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

sauroid

what?! still no actual pics? what's the big deal Safari?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

I'm sure I'll get excited all over again when they drop actual photos, but I do wonder why they're so coy with the dinosaurs in particular. Maybe the dinosaurs get bootlegged faster than their other offerings?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

I really want to see full pics of the figures, but I never really get too excited or anxious to get them in a short time, probable it will take me almost half a year to get all of them, to reduce the stress on my wallet I have to make 3 or more lots, because tje shipping prices for all of them would leave me homeless  ;D. I'm trying to coax my family to give me some for christmas, this will bey first christmas as a collector hehe

Flaffy

Today's update for Safari Ltd.... All the 2017 dragons put into one image... An image they have teased 25 days ago...

suspsy

At this point, the lack of updates is just plain bizarre.

Concavenator

I have never understood why companies announce their new models so late.They should know that  doing it that way,people don't get nearly as much exciting as if they would by simoly revealing them all at once and in a good moment.Revealing the silhouettes isn't a good strategy either.

Flaffy

Did Safari take this long last year, and the years before that? What I recall is that they just put out the images for us to drool at. Don't know who's in charge of the marketing department, but this was not a good move on Safari's part.
They started the hype train early, and dragged it out till there was none left.
The past few days I've been reminding Safari that the prehistoric figures still exists, and today they finally replied.
    Me: Pls... Prehistorics...it has been 35 days already since the first tease...
Safari: Stay tuned! We promise they're worth the wait.  ;)

Concavenator

Last year it took quite long,more so than I think this one will.

suspsy

Last year, the preview poster came out on October 14 and the full lineup and names of the toys were not released until the 23rd. So this is much earlier, yes. It still puzzles me why Safari hasn't added the last two silhouettes, but it ultimately doesn't matter. We'll see all of the toys in their full glory soon enough and this seemingly lengthy waiting period will be quickly forgotten.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: