News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: MLMjp on September 28, 2016, 08:39:56 PM
I love the head of the T.rex.....But what´s up with its belly? :o :o That´s a lot of junk in the trunk. I don´t like it. :( I hope is just the photo cause the siluette does not suffer from the obesity that this "Cinematic poster" shows us.

You may just be accustomed to more svelte reconstructions. Tyrannosaurus was a rather bulky animal in life! Most toy T. rexes allign more closely to the third image, but you can see how much more robust-looking the "modern" reconstruction is.

MLMjp

Quote from: Patrx on September 28, 2016, 09:01:06 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on September 28, 2016, 08:39:56 PM
I love the head of the T.rex.....But what´s up with its belly? :o :o That´s a lot of junk in the trunk. I don´t like it. :( I hope is just the photo cause the siluette does not suffer from the obesity that this "Cinematic poster" shows us.

You may just be accustomed to more svelte reconstructions. Tyrannosaurus was a rather bulky animal in life! Most toy T. rexes allign more closely to the third image, but you can see how much more robust-looking the "modern" reconstruction is.

After taking a look again I can confirm that I made a mistake because I misidentified the left leg as part of his belly ::) ::) ::) Thus making it look more "obese" that it really is.

tyrantqueen

That T. rex looks preggars....could be a she-rex :) ::)

CarnegieCollector

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 28, 2016, 10:20:52 PM
"She-Rex", Hahahahaha!  ;D
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Shadowknight1

Why isn't that rex fully feathered?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

John

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 28, 2016, 11:37:25 PM
Why isn't that rex fully feathered?
Because it's following the tiny skin impressions found under the body near the base of the tail on the "wyrex" specimen.It has feathers everywhere that the still unpublished impressions that Sereno has that have been described as being more like the texture of a plucked bird than true scales.Which came as a shock to me,as I had thought it would have been scaled for sure,but it seems much more likely to have been covered in fuzz.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Sim

The Velociraptor's hands look different to how they did in the video.  Does this mean the Velociraptor in the video has a painting error?  I'm also wondering if that means the Velociraptor will have a painting error when it is sold?

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 28, 2016, 10:20:52 PM

That's the Pubic Boot...

Gwangi

This looks like it's going to be the new definitive T. rex. Sorry Battat (it pains me to say it). Sorry CollectA (I never liked theirs anyway). Sorry Papo (wait, no I'm not).

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on September 29, 2016, 01:56:48 AM
This looks like it's going to be the new definitive T. rex. Sorry Battat (it pains me to say it). Sorry CollectA (I never liked theirs anyway). Sorry Papo (wait, no I'm not).

TO be fair, the Battat one was getting old. and deserves to retire. It was still the best T.Rex on the market,  im sure Dan LoRusso might be just as impressed as we all are at the looks of the new Safari T.Rex

suspsy

I cannot wait to review this absolutely beautiful, badass mofo. This is going to be my greatest work for the DTB yet.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on September 29, 2016, 02:17:22 AM
I cannot wait to review this absolutely beautiful, badass mofo. This is going to be my greatest work for the DTB yet.

What if you scrape away the feathers and you find a stock Papo T-rex inside!?

tanystropheus

I hope it's not pregnant, has a megathingy (or deinothingy) or a hernia like the previous T-rex!

DinoLord

Now that's a theropod that deserves to star in a movie. Given that film directors are so reluctant companies like Safari may be the greatest agents for introducing feathered dinosaurs to the general public. I have a hard time imagining a kid looking at all the commercially available T. rex in a store and turning up their noses at this one.

Ikessauro

Quote from: John on September 29, 2016, 12:03:45 AM
Because it's following the tiny skin impressions found under the body near the base of the tail on the "wyrex" specimen.It has feathers everywhere that the still unpublished impressions that Sereno has that have been described as being more like the texture of a plucked bird than true scales.Which came as a shock to me,as I had thought it would have been scaled for sure,but it seems much more likely to have been covered in fuzz.

Did Sereno find new T.rex skin impressions? How extensive would the impressions be? Can you provide any more info? I hope they publish on it soon enough.

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on September 29, 2016, 02:05:10 AM

TO be fair, the Battat one was getting old. and deserves to retire. It was still the best T.Rex on the market,  im sure Dan LoRusso might be just as impressed as we all are at the looks of the new Safari T.Rex

Greg Wenzel sculpted the Battat Tyrannosaurus. And don't get me wrong, the Battat T. rex is still one of my all time favorite Tyrannosaurus models, one of my favorite dinosaur toys in general! The fact that it's still so great despite its age really says something.

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on September 29, 2016, 12:08:21 AM
The Velociraptor's hands look different to how they did in the video.  Does this mean the Velociraptor in the video has a painting error?  I'm also wondering if that means the Velociraptor will have a painting error when it is sold?

Now that you've mentioned it, the third finger is clearly unpainted in the first photo. But TBH, I prefer the one in the video more, probably because it looks like it has feathered hands rather than scaly ones.

ITdactyl

*not a complaint, just an opinion*
I'm seeing a lot of "photoshop" shadows in the eyes, nares and tooth base(s).  Makes me wonder if the actual toy will look as fierce as the poster.

John

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 29, 2016, 03:54:05 AM
Quote from: John on September 29, 2016, 12:03:45 AM

Did Sereno find new T.rex skin impressions? How extensive would the impressions be? Can you provide any more info? I hope they publish on it soon enough.
It was actually said to be on the same "wyrex" specimen,now in Sereno's possesion.I think one impression was on the ribs,but other than the description of it having a texture more like a plucked bird than true scales,I couldn't get any more info than that so I don't know where else on the body or what size these impressions are.This is something that I hope gets published soon too.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

CarnegieCollector

So how much y'all wanna bet that safaris upcoming Psittacosaurus will look exactly like the "most accurate dinosaur" Psittacosaurus statue that was made just recently? (See gwangis profile pic for reference).

I sure hope so!
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: