News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Minmiminime on September 29, 2016, 09:12:09 PM
Splendid! Such a well executed sculpt ;D Soon, those who still think "feathered dinosaurs aren't scary" will have nowhere to run. I'm going to get this, and I'm going to call it "Kylo"
Feathered dinosaurs are not scary.Don't say that feathered dinosaurs are scary trying to convince people to like feathered dinosaurs.They are not scary,and they don't have to be scary.These were real,breathing animals,not monsters for a Hollywood film.Is a bear scary?In a way,yes,but certainly not the way people pretend that the "scary feathered dinosaurs" do.
Sorry if this posts sounds too strong  :-\ but it's my opinion
PD:Sorry for double-posting.

suspsy

No, feathered dinosaurs like T. rex, Yutyrannus, and Velociraptor would most definitely be scary.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on September 29, 2016, 11:01:01 PM
No, feathered dinosaurs like T. rex, Yutyrannus, and Velociraptor would most definitely be scary.
I would compare a Tyrannosaurus as a super bug grizzly bear and a Velociraptor as a bigger eagle.If you imagine them this way (which is probably a very similar version of how they might look),you wouldn't be that afraid.

suspsy

No, I would most definitely be afraid of a grizzly bear if I came across one while hiking. I'd also be afraid of an eagle if it came swooping down at me. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate that they're beautiful animals.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

I think of them as scary. Not like monsters, but like dangerous animals one should threat with respect. Let's face it. A predator the size of Tyrannosaurus would be scary. Yet they are also beautiful and probably in a way cute. Same for the Velociraptor, who is less dangerous but can still be scary, even at turkey size.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on September 29, 2016, 11:04:12 PM
I would compare a Tyrannosaurus as a super bug grizzly bear and a Velociraptor as a bigger eagle.If you imagine them this way (which is probably a very similar version of how they might look),you wouldn't be that afraid.

I fail to see how a wild bear, whether it posed a threat to you or not, would not be terrifying. I think you're mistaking the thought of something being scary with something being a monster. I can tell you in all sincerity that I have experienced fear when confronted by a very angry swan, and that was quite literally a very elegant and beautiful dinosaur, physically much smaller than myself, but that didn't affect the reality of it's determination and dominance of the situation. Real animals are far scarier than any movie monster, not because they are malicious or appear abominable, but because of their raw and primal power. The fear that our species would once have felt at such animals has only been dulled by our increasing detachment from the dangers of the natural world, but it's a fear that walks hand in hand with respect, it isn't a condemnation. I think suggesting that many dinosaurs would be scary to us is not even speculation, it's a fact.

Jose S.M.

All animals can be scary. I've been chased by a cow and at that moment, even when I found cows to be very cute, I was terrified! Also I've been chased several time by geese and turkeys, those dinosaurs are serious when they get angry. Sharks and crocodiles are among my favorite animals but they look menacing in a fascinating way, well most big predators look like that to me, but that doesnt mean I don't look at them like real animals.

AcroSauroTaurus

Time for my opinions. :)

Parasaurolophus: Sculpt is pretty good, I like it. But the color scheme seems a little bland. Not sure if its a male or a female, if male it would have brighter colors on the head, if female it would have a shorter, sharper curving crest. I'll get it, because I like Doug's sculpts, but its not first on my Safari "want list".

Microraptor: Sculpt is amazing, and the colors are great too. The yellow areas don't have to be blended with the black feathers since they are two different integuments, they can have abrupt endings, just like birds that have beaks and feet that are completely different colors tan their feathers. I do wish that they would've used an iridescent paint on the black feathers, but thats a minor gripe, it still looks great.
I am the Dinosaur King!

ItsTwentyBelow

This is good stuff. It's looking to be a tremendous year for Safari. When I heard they were releasing a dozen or so new figures, I assumed they must be including toob figures in that number. It's awesome to see that we are actually getting that many new standard (in some cases 1:40!) scale figures. Safari hasn't had such a big year since they first introduced the Wild Safari line in the late '90s.

Parasaurolophus looks great, and it is my favorite, favorite dinosaur so yes I'm biased.

The Microraptor looks really good too, and judging by the appearance of the paint apps, I think both of these guys are examples of the mass-production figures. Not too bad.

tanystropheus

the Microraptor looks really good, stylistically. Colors are nice. I like how the black contrasts with the yellow. It almost seems iconic in an Egyptian bird 'god' kind of way.

The Para manages to look simultaneously retro and progressive.  I like the details on the face, and the animal appears to have a distinctive herbivorous, grazing animal demeanor... Love how the scutes and textures show even in the darker coloured regions.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dobber on September 29, 2016, 11:20:17 AM
The big question is how will the actual toy look like. This sample was professionally painted. Safari's paint app's have been lacking in the past and the Rex seen here has a lot going on that I just don't see being replicated by a factory.  :(

Chris

It's difficult to say as Safari Ltd. has a mixed history of producing toys with subpar paint apps (e.g. Inostrancevia, Plesiosuchus) as well as ones with gorgeous paint apps (e.g. Giganotosaurus, Carnotaurus, Dunkleosteus, Rhamphorhynchus, Triceratops, Icthyosaurus, and Tylosaurus). I mean they are certainly capable.

sauroid

the new Microraptor made my Carnegie one look so obsolete. cool Para too.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

sauroid

i bet if you are confronted by a twenty foot long saltwater crocodile (crocodilians are distant relatives of dinosaurs anyway) face to face that you wouldnt be scared to death (well, before you die anyway).
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CarnegieCollector

Anything with sharp teeth can be very scary. Such as crocodiles, alligators, bears, lions, mountain lions, photoshopped llamas...
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Sim

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 29, 2016, 05:37:39 AM
Quote from: Sim on September 29, 2016, 12:08:21 AM
The Velociraptor's hands look different to how they did in the video.  Does this mean the Velociraptor in the video has a painting error?  I'm also wondering if that means the Velociraptor will have a painting error when it is sold?

Now that you've mentioned it, the third finger is clearly unpainted in the first photo. But TBH, I prefer the one in the video more, probably because it looks like it has feathered hands rather than scaly ones.

It wouldn't be as much of a problem to me if it weren't for the fact that all of the third finger isn't painted, including the claw.

Minmiminime

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 29, 2016, 11:34:07 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on September 29, 2016, 11:04:12 PM

I fail to see how a wild bear, whether it posed a threat to you or not, would not be terrifying. I think you're mistaking the thought of something being scary with something being a monster. I can tell you in all sincerity that I have experienced fear when confronted by a very angry swan, and that was quite literally a very elegant and beautiful dinosaur, physically much smaller than myself, but that didn't affect the reality of it's determination and dominance of the situation. Real animals are far scarier than any movie monster, not because they are malicious or appear abominable, but because of their raw and primal power. The fear that our species would once have felt at such animals has only been dulled by our increasing detachment from the dangers of the natural world, but it's a fear that walks hand in hand with respect, it isn't a condemnation. I think suggesting that many dinosaurs would be scary to us is not even speculation, it's a fact.

Yes, this is an excellent summary of how I feel, too!  ^-^ People need to get their heads around that the "monsters" they love are in actuality a lazy shortcut in their minds. The brutal reality of nature is awe inspiring!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

DinoToyForum

Stay on topic please folks, we have separate threads for detailed discussions about feathered dinosaurs.  C:-)

tyrantqueen

I don't trust any large, predatory wild animal. Look at what happened to Timothy Treadwell if you think any wild animal is your "friend". Never trust the wolf.

Ikessauro

I had uploaded the pictures of the new safaris to embed them here, but they don't seem to work on the forum. I tried, but I couldn't delete this post. :-\

fason

coelophisis revealed on website , don't know how to post pics though

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: