News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Your Favorite Dinosaur Sculptor ?

Started by azmo, August 27, 2016, 03:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmo

Hi Everyone!

New here.  There are so many incredible sculptors out there, but I was just wondering, who is your favorite Dinosaur Sculptor? 

DinoLord

For North American sculptors it would be Gregory Wenzel, Dan LoRusso (R.I.P.), and Doug Watson. For Japanese sculptors it would be Shinzen and Araki, along with whoever sculpts for Kaiyodo. Plus there's the Papo sculptor, who I think is Korean despite Papo being a French company.

If we're including resin kits or high-end statues, then David Krentz, Shane Foulkes, and Jorge Blanco are some of my favorites.

Takama

Jesus Toledo(Jetoar)

Brandon DeMoss(Brandem)

Dinomike(permission not given to show name)

Archinto

Shane Foulkes

David Krentz

Kayakasaurus

Saulo Rodriguez

and many more including Doug Watson and Dan LoRusso

Libraraptor

My favorite dinosaur sculptor is evolution. :)

Pachyrhinosaurus

Dan LoRusso was my favorite sculptor, along with Greg Wenzel. There's also Forest Rogers, Michael Trcic, Sean Cooper, Shane Foulkes, Doug Watson and David Krentz whose work I really like.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tyrantqueen

Charlie McGrady (CM Studios), Shane Foulkes, David Krentz, Woon (Papo), Sean Cooper, Shinzen Takeuchi, and Kazunari Araki.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

David Krentz,Sean Cooper,Shane Foulkes,Forest Rogers,Dan LoRusso and Doug Watson

Doug Watson

This is really hard, Charles R. Knight was the first to put flesh on the bones and make them living animals for me (before anyone says anything he also did some wonderful sculptures). Louis Paul Jonas later inspired me to sculpt, if he had today's scientific knowledge I believe his dinosaurs would rival the best today, just look at his african animal miniatures they are still amazing.  Tony McVey and Michael Trcic got me excited about garage kits but it was Greg Wenzel and Dan LoRusso who gave me the idea that I could sculpt toys.
So if I have to choose it would be:

Toys: Greg Wenzel and Dan LoRusso tied for first and in a strong second the person who sculpted the JP inspired Papo dinosaurs for the artistic talent not the accuracy
Kits: Vitali Klatt in first, Michael Trcic & Tony McVey tied for second and close third to Charlie McGrady
Life-size: Charlie McGrady, honourable mention to Michael Trcic, Brian Cooley and the ensemble at Stan Winston studios in the heyday of JP.

azmo

Hey thanks for your insight! Some new names in there I've never heard of!

Carcharodontosaurus

Doug Watson! I just got the safari Carcharodontosaurus, and I love him! Incredible work!

Jetoar

It is difficult question. I am really impresive with the works of David Krentz,Sean Cooper,Shane Foulkes,Forest Rogers,Dan LoRusso and Doug Watson because I have figures sculpted by them. However as Takama said, we have in the forum talented sculptors as Brandem Kayakasaurus and Dinomike. I dont have figures of them however I thought they have done a terrific work  ^-^. However I dont forget  the works of Pachyrhinosaurus and Archinto too  ;). So the first and the scultors of the forum are in my list  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

I just remembered I also like Keith Strasser of Planet Earth sculpture.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Carcharodontosaurus on August 31, 2016, 12:40:36 AM
Doug Watson! I just got the safari Carcharodontosaurus, and I love him! Incredible work!

:)

ginkoh

I'm just new for this collector line and have no chance to get some Dan Lorusso or Michael Trcic works in my collection but for now Shane Foulkes, David Krentz, Jorge Blanco, Sean Cooper, Shinzen Takeuchi, Adrian Taboada, Tony Mcvey and Tison Zhang are all my favorite artists and still go on.

ataraxus

i very wonder that nobody mentioned David Silva and Galileo Hernandez both make/made really great stuff.
so, at first Shane Foulkes, then David Silva and Galileo, then Tony McVey, Araki, McGrady, Sean Cooper, D. Krentz, Jorge Blanco, Keith Strasser, M. Trcic, unfortunately i do not know many stuff from Asia.

tanystropheus

Shane Foulkes, Mr. Seo, Doug Watson, Araki, David Krentz, and Forest Rogers, in no particular order.

I absolutely love some of they prototype work found in Forest Rogers' website.

I recently picked up the WS Nasutoceratops, Sauropelta and Iguanodon. I'm truly grateful for Doug Watson's works. I wasn't aware that the Iguanodon was also made by Doug Watson, but I'm not surprised that I gravitated towards it... I want a return to annual WS ceratopsians!

I kind of wished Mr. Seo was allowed more flexibility in his work. At least they allowed him to make the featured Velociraptor.

tanystropheus

I think David Krentz would be pretty successful if he were to ever launch a kick starter campaign for models-to-figures kits. A lot of his models would translate well into figures. Heck, he could go the David Silva route and focus on a particular subset of dinosaurs, for example, the hadrosaurs.

I'm not particularly thrilled with Araki's obscure species remaining local in distribution.

BlueKrono

It's starting to sound like an echo chamber in here.  ^-^ It must be something about certain sculptors that just appeal to a lot of us collectors. My top artists are (in no particular order) Hirokazu Tokugawa, Shane Foulkes, David Krentz and whoever does the sculpts for Paleocraft.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Mirroraptor

Quote from: DinoLord on August 27, 2016, 04:24:27 AM
For North American sculptors it would be Gregory Wenzel, Dan LoRusso (R.I.P.), and Doug Watson. For Japanese sculptors it would be Shinzen and Araki, along with whoever sculpts for Kaiyodo. Plus there's the Papo sculptor, who I think is Korean despite Papo being a French company.

If we're including resin kits or high-end statues, then David Krentz, Shane Foulkes, and Jorge Blanco are some of my favorites.
Sorry to bother you. Any information about the sculptors that worked for PAPO?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: