News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurox

Quote from: Killekor on December 13, 2016, 04:37:37 PM
The unic positive things of this years are:

1) they have tried to do a feathered Raptor, so, probably in this years they Will try a Feathered T-Rex, or an Updated Spinosaurus.

2)same thing as the point One (Sorry, the Baryonyx appers in Jp or in WWD? I don't Remember this)

Thanks

Killekor

I'd love to see a feathered T. rex and a revised  spino :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sentry on December 13, 2016, 07:25:36 PM

1) they have tried to do a feathered Raptor, so, probably in this years they Will try a Feathered T-Rex, or an Updated Spinosaurus.

2)same thing as the point One (Sorry, the Baryonyx appers in Jp or in WWD? I don't Remember this)

Thanks

Killekor

These are very probable selections for the near future.

Papo will most likely attempt a featured T. rex as it seems to be the fashionable thing to do.

Also, Papo is very good at making spinosaurids as evidenced by the significant improvement in Baronyx head sculpt when compared to their JP Spinosaurus. With a bit of fine-tuning, Papo could create the perfect Suchomimus or Irritator.

Papo also has a knack for making photo-realistic crocodilians (e.g. Nile Crocodile, Nile Crocodile cubs, and Kaprosuchus). Perhaps, we will see a Sarcosuchus in the future.

Shonisaurus

1125/5000
In the end Papo will make the dinosaurs he wants unfortunately, not those that say the members of the forum.

On the other hand except for the request that they make the carnotaurus Papo, sincerely this company goes for free as Schleich.

The only companies that do pay attention to the collector are Safari and Collecta and I have to break a spear in favor of those two companies whose treatment is exceptional with the client especially with regard to requests in both modeling and species type .

In fact and not to put medals I demanded by letter that made tyrannosauroideos different from the tyrannosaurus rex to the company Collecta and the case is that they paid attention not only to me but also to many members of the forum, and the same we can speak of Safari.

I know that any comparison about companies is odious, because every company of course has its own philosophy, but I sincerely appreciate the deal that they give to customer companies like Safari and Collecta and by far.

Perhaps, that is one of the causes from my point of view that can be criticized as the first two toy companies of dinosaurs.
Sugerir un cambio

Killekor

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 13, 2016, 07:41:47 PM
Quote from: Sentry on December 13, 2016, 07:25:36 PM

Thanks

Killekor

These are very probable selections for the near future.

Papo will most likely attempt a featured T. rex as it seems to be the fashionable thing to do.

Also, Papo is very good at making spinosaurids as evidenced by the significant improvement in Baronyx head sculpt when compared to their JP Spinosaurus. With a bit of fine-tuning, Papo could create the perfect Suchomimus or Irritator.

Papo also has a knack for making photo-realistic crocodilians (e.g. Nile Crocodile, Nile Crocodile cubs, and Kaprosuchus). Perhaps, we will see a Sarcosuchus in the future.

Or an Epidexipterix, or a Sinornithosaurus!
This Will be FANTASTIC!!!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Killekor

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 13, 2016, 07:48:04 PM

1125/5000
In the end Papo will make the dinosaurs he wants unfortunately, not those that say the members of the forum.

On the other hand except for the request that they make the carnotaurus Papo, sincerely this company goes for free as Schleich.

The only companies that do pay attention to the collector are Safari and Collecta and I have to break a spear in favor of those two companies whose treatment is exceptional with the client especially with regard to requests in both modeling and species type .

In fact and not to put medals I demanded by letter that made tyrannosauroideos different from the tyrannosaurus rex to the company Collecta and the case is that they paid attention not only to me but also to many members of the forum, and the same we can speak of Safari.

I know that any comparison about companies is odious, because every company of course has its own philosophy, but I sincerely appreciate the deal that they give to customer companies like Safari and Collecta and by far.

Perhaps, that is one of the causes from my point of view that can be criticized as the first two toy companies of dinosaurs.
Sugerir un cambio

It's also Real that many Times safari copy CollectA ( or reverse), think at the new Einiosaurus and Liopleurodon...

Killekor

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

Verahin

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 13, 2016, 07:41:47 PM
Also, Papo is very good at making spinosaurids as evidenced by the significant improvement in Baronyx head sculpt when compared to their JP Spinosaurus.

Sorry, I don't understand why the Baryonyx should be seen as an improvement compared to the Spinosaurus. As you say it is a JP Spinosaurus, while last year's Baryonyx has a different inspiration, closer to the present view of a spinosaurid head, though people would still argue about its accuracy. In my opinion Papo Spinosaurus didn't need any improvement cause as a JP replica it is almost perfect, I bet anybody to find a better JP Spino that isn't a statue or something licensed. People should stop see JP inspired figures as inferior to other so-called-accurate figures, because if they are meant to represent JP creatures, like early Papos or some Rebors, they simply have to do their job of replicating Jurassic Park creatures, and be judged as such. And Papo in my view did a great job with theirs, particularly with the Spino.

Regarding the reveal of the new figures, expect something around the 20, I've emailed ED to ask some info and they replied me that on that day Papo will have a big sales meeting, or something like that, and that is reasonable to say that the next year's catalogue will be revealed at the same time.

tanystropheus

I guess it isn't directly comparable, as Baryonyx is less movie or pop inspired than the Spinosaurus.

However, the Spinosaurus is a first generation Papo product. If it was re-released today it would be significantly more detailed, with finer sculpting and texture work. The Papo Brown T-rex is more detailed than the Papo Green T-rex.

Even if Papo released a revised JP Spinosaurus , the skin texture work would resemble that of the Baryonyx, while the head sculpt would clearly borrow from JP3. It would also sport richer color palette as seen in the JP3 film.

Papo is long overdue for a new Spinosaurus.

Saurox

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 13, 2016, 08:22:13 PM
I guess it isn't directly comparable, as Baryonyx is less movie or pop inspired than the Spinosaurus.

However, the Spinosaurus is a first generation Papo product. If it was re-released today it would be significantly more detailed, with finer sculpting and texture work. The Papo Brown T-rex is more detailed than the Papo Green T-rex.

Even if Papo released a revised JP Spinosaurus , the skin texture work would resemble that of the Baryonyx, while the head sculpt would clearly borrow from JP3. It would also sport richer color palette as seen in the JP3 film.

Papo is long overdue for a new Spinosaurus.

Not to mention their Triceratops.

Appalachiosaurus

With the exception of the two post famous dinosaurs in the world and babies, Papo hasn't made a second sculpt of a species they have already produced before. I actually like this and personally would prefer it if they kept making new genus than start remaking older models. I haven't seen any of Papo's new dinosaurs personally, but from photos from other forum members the quality has actually seemed to drop. The standing T. rex is amazing and is far superior compared to what I have seen of the Baryonyx.

Killekor

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on December 13, 2016, 09:04:11 PM
With the exception of the two post famous dinosaurs in the world and babies, Papo hasn't made a second sculpt of a species they have already produced before. I actually like this and personally would prefer it if they kept making new genus than start remaking older models. I haven't seen any of Papo's new dinosaurs personally, but from photos from other forum members the quality has actually seemed to drop. The standing T. rex is amazing and is far superior compared to what I have seen of the Baryonyx.

First of all, Is not Real. They have do 2 Velociraptor sculptures, the Jp and the feathered ones.

Second: Is Better release many sculptures of a species that many variants, it's extra boring to see every year more than 2 variants.

Killekor

tanystropheus

Well, a remake (e.g. revised sculpt) is always better than a remaster (e.g. re-skin, re-color)  :)

Verahin

Yes, a resculpt is better than a repaint, but I guess that if they'd do any they'd better retire the older sculpt. With the Velociraptor they kept the JP version, and it is even available in two colour variants at the moment. To be honest I wouldn't mind if Papo would dedicate a couple of years to reintroduce species they have already done with new sculpts. Not because the existing JP inspired figures need to be improved, simply cause a variation would be nice, and it is something other brands do regularly, so why not. Maybe this year Papo will have one or two models discontinued, could be a hint for future releases.

Killekor

Quote from: Verahin on December 13, 2016, 10:22:38 PM
Yes, a resculpt is better than a repaint, but I guess that if they'd do any they'd better retire the older sculpt. With the Velociraptor they kept the JP version, and it is even available in two colour variants at the moment. To be honest I wouldn't mind if Papo would dedicate a couple of years to reintroduce species they have already done with new sculpts. Not because the existing JP inspired figures need to be improved, simply cause a variation would be nice, and it is something other brands do regularly, so why not. Maybe this year Papo will have one or two models discontinued, could be a hint for future releases.
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 13, 2016, 09:19:11 PM
Well, a remake (e.g. revised sculpt) is always better than a remaster (e.g. re-skin, re-color)  :)

I was saying remastered models.

Killekor

CityRaptor

They probably would not retire the old molds. I mean they have three active Tyrannosaurus molds, basically functioning as a family. You think that is much? They also have 8 tiger molds and many of their mammals have more than one mold per species, usually male, female and offspring.  I'm talking about wild animals here, it becomes rather ridicolous when I start counting humans and horses.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Moodyraptor

I think I am alone in then in hoping for another JP-raptor repaint  ::)  My raptor pack can always handle a new team member. 

CityRaptor

A fifth version? Thinking about Blue, aren't you?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

IF Papo is to feather any more of there Dinosaurs, i hope for The Oviraptor to be the candidate.

Verahin

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 13, 2016, 11:11:35 PM
They probably would not retire the old molds. I mean they have three active Tyrannosaurus molds, basically functioning as a family. You think that is much? They also have 8 tiger molds and many of their mammals have more than one mold per species, usually male, female and offspring.  I'm talking about wild animals here, it becomes rather ridicolous when I start counting humans and horses.

The tigers should be 4 or 5 if I recall correctly, but I could be wrong. But extant animals are a different story, they keep on releasing new molds and retire olds, just like other brands (mainly Schleich) do.

Yeah, they kind of adopted that family scheme for T-Rex, but can you see them releasing a new Triceratops to make a family, considering it'd be based on a 10 year old sculpt to keep things coherent? I don't know.

T-Rex and Velociraptor are definitely their best sellers, that's why they keep on repainting them, and even when repainting another one (Oviraptor) they pair it with a standard T-Rex because they're sure that it's going to sell.

Maybe they could come up with a feathered T-Rex and keep the classic ones in the line too, just like they did with the Velociraptor, but I don't see them resculpting a Spinosaurus or a Triceratops and keep the old ones available. It's just a personal view, Papo could prove me wrong even in a few days from now if 2017 releases will feature a surprise as I hope.

Or maybe they simply don't bother to resculpt anything and they'll keep on making new species, from a marketing perspective the Baryonyx might as well work as a new Spinosaurus, it's a related species and they've done it as big as the Spino, avoiding to retire the Spinosaurus cause they're two different animals. Maybe we'll get a Torosaurus instead of a retooled trike, who knows?

When it comes to prehistorics Papo has a very limited range compared to other brands, that's probably why they don't discontinue their figures very often like they do with non-prehistoric lines, this thing of retiring old molds in favour of new sculpts might start in future years, when they'll have a wider range of models developed.

gfxtwin

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 13, 2016, 08:22:13 PM

Disagree with this.  While the sculptor is as good as ever, the plastic they've frequently been using on figures recently softens detail and results in a shinier look that also negatively effects detail by making them resemble plastic in a much more obvious way, instead of the "sculpture" look of the earlier papo figures.  Have no idea why they switched over to that material (first noticed it with the Pachyrhinosaurus) given how fantastic the earlier figures came out.

gfxtwin

whoops, double post

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: