News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

Started by dragon53, January 30, 2017, 04:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cretaceous Crab

I just saw it yesterday with my son.

I've never been a fan of the man-in-a-suit effects; chalk it up to my generation. So of course, I love the Legendary Godzilla the most. I thought both films were well-done, and more than make up for the 1998 disaster that was "Zilla.

Brocc21

Just saw it. My god. It was everything I wanted. Ghidorah eas the scariest he'd ever been. Godzilla was just a beast. Rodan had the best scene. And mothers made an impression for sure.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Brocc21

Also am I the only guy who like Dr. Stanton (Bradley Whiteford, white haired scientist with one liners.

ITdactyl

Quote from: Brocc21 on June 04, 2019, 11:58:53 PM
Also am I the only guy who like Dr. Stanton (Bradley Whiteford, white haired scientist with one liners.

I enjoyed the levity his character provided.  Although I'm not a fan of the "Oh my God.... zilla" joke.

Takama

Spoiler
OK  I saw this film and all gotta say is i liked it a lot better then Kong Skull Island.

I went into this movie to see some intense Kaiju Action that made my Hair stand on end, and thats exactly what i got.   

I have my nitpicks for this film, for example, while they were not used that much, the designs of the new NON Toho Monsters look lazy. Seriously one of them looks like a giant Mammoth.
But honestly what made this film worth it for me was seeing King Ghidorah as a major Villian. This creature is not a force to be reckon with. and i love the Shot of him in front of a Cross.  To me it signals that he is the Devil, and its up to GODzilla to defeat him.

The way the Other monsters were handled was great as well.    I was not expecting Rodan to be treated as a Villian as well, but I do wish that he would of Died when Mothra Stabbed him at the end.

Honestly, After watching this film.   Nothing can Top this film, and i dont expect them throwing a giant Gorilla in the mix to do the job.   I just do not Think Kong Belongs in this Universe. 
[close]

alexeratops

Loved it! It had all the best aspects from 2014 and made those even better, and then some! Heck, even the human characters were leagues more interesting than 2014 (Bryan Cranston's character as an exception). Okay, big spoilers below.
Spoiler
Godzilla: This is one of my favorite incarnations of the character, the design is great, and his revamped nuclear pulse when he went burning/thermonuclear was crazy cool. I loved how you could hear Mothra's noise when he did the pulse.
Mothra: Although she didn't get a ton of screentime, she isn't the main monster either, so it's understandable. BUT, in the time that she did get, she was very majestic and powerful, especially for her relative small size. When she went angel-mode and burst through the clouds, wow, it was just amazing! Like the director said, Mothra never dies, so I expect her to return in one way or another in GvK.
Ghidorah: A very, very cool incarnation of the character. His regenerating head made my jaw drop, honestly not expecting it in the slightest. His snake-like qualities were also a very fun creative decision for the character, and I enjoyed every second of it.
Rodan: Talk about an entrance! Definitely my favorite of the four titans. Maybe he doesn't have any crazy abilities, but the idea of a giant killer pterosaur emerging from a volcano is super metal to me, haha. Honestly was not expecting him to survive the film, so that was quite the pleasant surprise.
The music was super good, listening to it as I write this, in fact. I love how they used Mothra's Song and Godzilla's original theme from 1954, very good tributes to the classics. Final comments, I was not expecting the movie (and its after-credits scene) to end on such an open book. They could take this in many directions, which makes me a lot more hyped for Godzilla vs Kong.
9.5/10, needed slightly more background for the human characters to understand their conflicts more, but that's just little nitpicks  ;)
[close]
like a bantha!

Dilopho

I have a lot of problems with my emotions, and I normally feel absolutely nothing at movies and just see them out of interest alone, but Godzilla's scenes here made me literally shiver because he is just so perfect.
This really is the Godzilla movie I've always wanted. It has everything.

MLMjp

Finally watched the movie. (Didn't got released in my country until the 21 of June and I was busy that weekend)

It was INTENSE, had a blast watching it.

My head still can't process everything I saw because a lot of things happed really fast, almost like the movie was played on 1,5x speed when there was an action scene.

Godzilla was great, King Ghidorah was awesome, Mothra did not have a lot of screen time but every scene she was in was either beautiful or awesome. Rodan however felt like it was there because they wanted to put him there, you cold have replace them with another generic titan and the movie would have been exactly the same. He had a very nice introduction and action scene afterwards but after that he didn't do that much.

In terms of human story is both an improvement and a step down from the previous one, like, there is more characterization in this one but at the same time is less deep than the few characterization that was in the previous one. If that makes sense.

I need to see it again because like I said, a lot of things going on and too fast, but I'm not one of those who goes more than one time to see a movie in the theater so...gotta have to wait for the public release.

Now if my local store could get the NECA figures in stock already...

Cretaceous Crab

My NECA Godzilla came with two left feet, but the figure is still so detailed and wonderfully articulated, I didn't want to take it back.

Brocc21

Quote from: LeviRawl on July 01, 2019, 12:39:40 PM
My NECA Godzilla came with two left feet, but the figure is still so detailed and wonderfully articulated, I didn't want to take it back.

Welp, he'll never dance again.

dragon53

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS---director Michael Dougherty said he would like to do a Godzilla movie set in ancient times, "I'd still love to do GODZILLA B.C. where we finally see this ancient world of man and monster, like a modern day Ray Harryhausen flick. Or maybe we just go for it and finally take humans out of the equation".

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 01, 2019, 04:59:23 PM
I have very mixed feelings. I was on board until Mothra showed up as a collaborator for the military and at that point I thought consciously "they have no awareness of the source material".

It was a fun movie, the effects were outstanding and the callbacks were well executed and clever, but I have serious issues with the contradictory moral narratives. It also failed to learn from the mistakes of its 2014 predecessor, continuing with a highly unlikable protagonist, and his family who've been ham-fisted into the plot (though significantly less ham-fisted than 2014's).

For example establishing early on that the military wants to kill all of the animals and doing so would destroy the worlds collective ecosystems. So surely the people trying to stop this would be the protagonists right? Nope. They're the villains. The protagonists are a group of MONARCH scientists who are completely content living in the military's vindictive shadow. The film goes pretty far out of its way to make sure the military are seen as the naive "therealgoodguysTM" supporting protagonists.

And MONARCH isn't much better, as other than Serizawa most of them aren't shown as having any spine to stand up against the military who is trying to destroy their lives work and kill the animals they clearly care about to some extent. Things only work out in the end in favour of the protagonists by combination of groundwork done by the villains and sheer coincidence.

Mothra got absolutely sidelined and it was kind of sad, but not surprising given how little attention she was given in marketing and frankly even in her redesign. Fortunately this came with an unexpected but very welcome up in Rodan's presence and screen time.
How is Mothra being a human-sided monster straying from the source material?
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stargatedalek

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 22, 2021, 09:58:47 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on June 01, 2019, 04:59:23 PM
I have very mixed feelings. I was on board until Mothra showed up as a collaborator for the military and at that point I thought consciously "they have no awareness of the source material".

It was a fun movie, the effects were outstanding and the callbacks were well executed and clever, but I have serious issues with the contradictory moral narratives. It also failed to learn from the mistakes of its 2014 predecessor, continuing with a highly unlikable protagonist, and his family who've been ham-fisted into the plot (though significantly less ham-fisted than 2014's).

For example establishing early on that the military wants to kill all of the animals and doing so would destroy the worlds collective ecosystems. So surely the people trying to stop this would be the protagonists right? Nope. They're the villains. The protagonists are a group of MONARCH scientists who are completely content living in the military's vindictive shadow. The film goes pretty far out of its way to make sure the military are seen as the naive "therealgoodguysTM" supporting protagonists.

And MONARCH isn't much better, as other than Serizawa most of them aren't shown as having any spine to stand up against the military who is trying to destroy their lives work and kill the animals they clearly care about to some extent. Things only work out in the end in favour of the protagonists by combination of groundwork done by the villains and sheer coincidence.

Mothra got absolutely sidelined and it was kind of sad, but not surprising given how little attention she was given in marketing and frankly even in her redesign. Fortunately this came with an unexpected but very welcome up in Rodan's presence and screen time.
How is Mothra being a human-sided monster straying from the source material?
Human sided =/= dog of the military.

Appalachiosaurus

Eh, the story is definitely a little uncritical of itself, but I wouldn't say it's pro-military.

To recap, the military's role in the story is:
1. Set up the ticking time plot that forces the villians into action
2. Actively sabotages the good guys by deciding their own course of action against the protagonist's judgement, resulting of the death of Serizawa
2. Comes limping back to the protagonists after they're completely incapable of handling the threat they helped cause
4. Become begrudging allies in the charge that ultimately do nothing but provide cool shots and transport, the world being saved by the scientists and Godzilla

It can definitely come across as pro-military, especially to the average viewer, mainly because of all the wonder shots of military equipment and soldiers shooting stuff, but the story itself is still very much on the side of the scientist characters and the Titans. Heck, the villians were right. The world is better now that the Titans are released, and when Emma found out her plan wasn't going to work because of Ghidorah, she sacrifices herself to stop him and fix her mistake of awakening him. The only pure villian in the story is Alan Jonah, an ex-military soldier who doesn't care how many civilians die as long as he gets to sit comfortably in a bunker.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.