News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you collect anything else?

Started by tyrantqueen, March 14, 2012, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

animal figurines in general, and anime figures

tanystropheus

Recently,

I've been collecting NECA Aliens, Play Arts Kai Batman Dark Knight Trilogy, TMNT classic collection, Bandai Thundercats. I preordered the new 6'" line of BTAS and TNBA.

Gwangi

I've recently started collecting taxidermy and animal pelts. Most of them come from antique shops. I was already big on collecting skulls and fossils and things like that. Anything to make my house look more like a museum really. So among the mounted animals we now have an American black duck, red-tailed hawk, rainbow trout, smallmouth bass, raccoon, weasel and a melanistic gray squirrel. The pelts come from an American badger, weasel, fisher and raccoon. Let me make it clear that these things are all old and I don't condone the trade of animal parts or killing animals for the sake of doing so. The duck comes from the early 80's, the two fish from the 60's and 70's, the fisher pelt from 1992. The black squirrel we found hit by a car and had done ourselves. I'll post pictures of them some day.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on August 31, 2014, 05:20:38 PM
I've recently started collecting taxidermy and animal pelts. Most of them come from antique shops. I was already big on collecting skulls and fossils and things like that. Anything to make my house look more like a museum really. So among the mounted animals we now have an American black duck, red-tailed hawk, rainbow trout, smallmouth bass, raccoon, weasel and a melanistic gray squirrel. The pelts come from an American badger, weasel, fisher and raccoon. Let me make it clear that these things are all old and I don't condone the trade of animal parts or killing animals for the sake of doing so. The duck comes from the early 80's, the two fish from the 60's and 70's, the fisher pelt from 1992. The black squirrel we found hit by a car and had done ourselves. I'll post pictures of them some day.
Taxidermy is very interesting, especially bad taxidermy, rofl. I live near to an antiques cellar, and they always have lots of old taxidermy. Some of it can be bad (often the taxidermist chose the wrong kind of eyes, giving the animal a goofy look) but it's always very interesting. The biggest mount they ever had was an American black bear.

Here's an example of the stuff they sell. This is a photo from the website. Note the stuffed polecat >:D

I go there often, it's fun to just look at all the weird things there.

Gwangi

Oh I love places like that. Anything strange, unique, historical, old and yes, creepy too. I probably would have bought that polecat if I visited that shop. I also like bad taxidermy, and a couple of mine are kind of goofy looking. Helps add to the charm I think. But I'm a weird person who likes weird things. The largest taxidermy I've seen for sale were an entire Florida key deer, a coyote and a moose head. All of them outside my price range for the time being. I recently saw a grizzly bear skin rug but aside from having no place to put it you can imagine the price tag on it.

tyrantqueen

Speaking of taxidermy, do you know about King Frederick's lion? :) It's hilarious.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 31, 2014, 05:29:41 PM
Taxidermy is very interesting, especially bad taxidermy, rofl.

You mean chimerics  ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2075978/The-nightmarish-hybrid-taxidermy-land-Franken-artist-jail.html

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 31, 2014, 06:09:37 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 31, 2014, 05:29:41 PM
Taxidermy is very interesting, especially bad taxidermy, rofl.

You mean chimerics  ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2075978/The-nightmarish-hybrid-taxidermy-land-Franken-artist-jail.html
Nah, that's sideshow gaff type stuff. I mean bad by stuff like this:

Stuff where the taxidermist isn't trying to make something weird on purpose, but just messes up due to lack of knowledge or poor technique.

Gwangi

Oh wow! No, I was not familiar with this lion but I thank you for bringing it to my attention. It really looks like it was done intentionally but the fact that it wasn't only makes it better. Thanks for sharing that TQ.

tanystropheus

I feel sorry for that lion (?) ... :'(
Not a dignified way to go...

stargatedalek

I can not comprehend how you could take about an animal and over the course of that forget how to put it back together
that lion is way scarier than a live one!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 01, 2014, 03:57:19 AM
I can not comprehend how you could take about an animal and over the course of that forget how to put it back together
that lion is way scarier than a live one!
He (the taxidermist) didn't forget, because he never knew how in the first place. He had only the bones and pelt to work with, and had never seen a real lion before. This was back in 1731 ;)

stargatedalek

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Tyto_Theropod

Has anyone ever checked out that blog, Crappy Taxidermy?

http://crappytaxidermy.com/

On a related note, I bought an antique red squirrel mount from a junk shop the other day (a start to yet another expensive collection...) And then I discovered that it was illegal to sell any red squirrel mounts from any date here in the UK (where they're endangered) without a license. Oh, great. What a way to blow £85.00!  >:( Also have a fox fur and a mink fur stole from the 30's or 40's. Of course these are all old stuff, I'd majorly not be in favour if they were fresh.

In fact I'd quite like to learn how to do taxidermy myself someday when I'm not so busy, it's a very interesting skill. Which isn't to say I support killing animals, I don't. If I did taxidermy, I'd use roadkill. insect taxidermy is pretty cool, too. I've already stored a daddy long-legs which drowned in my bath. I'm just waiting to get a frame for it :)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Gwangi

Thanks for posting that blog, I can see I won't be sleeping well tonight!

I'm curious to see that red squirrel mount. They're such beautiful animals. What are you going to do with it? Might as well hang on to it now that you own it I suppose.

tyrantqueen

Tyto_Theropod

UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 10, 2014, 03:23:45 AM
This looks like something you'd see in a horror movie: http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee26/Weeze1990/Private/scarymonkey_zps3a02eb4b.png

Do NOT want.

I think I can pass on that one!

EDIT: I dunno, maybe if the price was right!  :P

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: