News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Do you collect anything else?

Started by tyrantqueen, March 14, 2012, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Oh I love Ancient Egyptian themed things, as a kid I used to find it endlessly fascinating. I have mostly books and stuff. Got this trinket box thing a while ago and I might get more moar stuff in future.

I always wanted to be an Egyptologist when I was young  :P

Thagirion

Tyrantqueen, I have a similar jackle like that AND I have that same pen holder hehe.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Metallisuchus

Yeah my interest in Egypt took a bit of a backseat as well, and as a result, I forget which gods were which, etc. Anubis is my favorite. I just inherited a small collection 2 days ago. A good friend of mine died earlier in the month, and his condo was like a museum, so his younger sister passed on his Egyptian stuff to me and my girlfriend.

I don't know if I've ever seen those McDonalds/JP cups. I had dinosaur cups when I was a kid - each one featuring a different dinosaur. This was pre-JP though, back in the days of Dino-Riders, Dino-Saucers, and Definitely Dinosaurs. I specifically remember the deinonychus.

Yeah I've spent a lot of time at Lowe's as well, hah.

It's funny - speaking of Egyptian stuff... I had my Papo Spinosaurus displayed with my Egyptian pyramid trinket box (no I don't have "trinkets" - just wanted the pyramid), ya know, since Spino was Egyptian.

Part of me wanted to be an Egyptologist too, but I always figured if I were going to go the academic route, I'd go with paleo.

Oh, my carnivorous plants are just seeds in a box right now - never planted them.

Thagirion

I've always had a passing interest in Egyptian mythology but it really took off when I created my sun god character Sorath who's human form in modern times is name Solan.  He was ra in ancient times.

I loved Dinosaucers. I wish they'd officially release them all on DVD. It was such a funny show.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Metallisuchus

I'd buy the DinoSaucers DVD's in a heartbeat. I'd probably pay twice the amount if the packaging was nice. Great show. I wish they'd do something with them - maybe an animated film.

I actually didn't care for Egyptology until I saw Stargate as a kid. Then I became obsessed by it for a while.

Takama

I also Collect Skylanders figures, as well as many other video games

deanm

Quote from: Takama on April 27, 2012, 04:58:51 AM

I don't collect them but I feed my kids Skylanders addition... So I guess in a way since I do buy them, I guess I collect them... Awhhh Dang - I have another hobby... :D  :))  ;D

tyrantqueen

QuoteTyrantqueen, I have a similar jackle like that AND I have that same pen holder hehe.

Small world huh? XD

My favourite god was always Osiris for some reason  :P

Takama

Quote from: deanm on April 27, 2012, 11:19:14 PM
Quote from: Takama on April 27, 2012, 04:58:51 AM

I don't collect them but I feed my kids Skylanders addition... So I guess in a way since I do buy them, I guess I collect them... Awhhh Dang - I have another hobby... :D  :))  ;D

Well the only reason i started collecting them is that the game featured my favorite game character (Spyro) and when i played it, it just felt Unfinished without all the figures, so i had to buy them to finish what the developers lazily left out

Gryphoceratops

Gryphons/Griffins and Gargoyles. 

Rio

I collect animal figures and Rammstein merchandise  ;D

postsaurischian

I collect Music (for the main part Electric Guitar orientated, no matter what style).

Here are my Top 20 - Electric Guitarists (no specific order):

- Allan Holdsworth
- Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
- Steve Vai
- Adrian Belew
- Michael Landau
- Scott Henderson
- David Torn
- Robert Fripp
- Mattias "IA" Eklundh
- Django Reinhardt
- Brett Garsed
- Steve Morse
- Eddie Van Halen (until 1984)
- Ritchie Blackmore (until 1978)
- Eric Johnson
- Mike Keneally
- Jeff Beck
- Guthrie Govan
- Ron Jarzombek
- Frank Zappa, who I think was the most important musician of the 20th century, mainly as a composer, producer & bandleader.

Naturally I do collect Electric Guitars themselves, but this is a very expensive matter.
So I only have three:

- Fender Custom Shop '56 Stratocaster, black & white vintage finish (main guitar at the moment)
- Steinberger GM4TA with full wooden body
- Charvel handmade Eddie Van Halen Strat model, black with yellow stripes (If you know the 2nd Van Halen album - the one on the backcover, that's it ^-^.

I collect figures of all kind of animals ;D!
- favourite scale for Dinosaurs & other prehistoric creatures: 1:35 & 1:20 (but I love 1:1 for very small species)
- favourite scale for modern animals: 1:20

I collect (well-illustrated) books & animated movies about prehistoric life.

I collect Kingfisher enamel pins.

I collect comic books & art:

- Sam Kieth
- Berni Wrightson (until early 80s)
- Barry Windsor-Smith
- Jean 'Moebius' Giraud
- Richard Corben
- Will Eisner
- Robert Crumb
- Jeffrey Jones
- Arthur Suydam
- Travis Charest

..... and almost all the big Marvel Silver Age series (60s) - forget about Roy Lichtenstein! Jack Kirby is the true superstar of Pop Art.

I collect every piece of movie Hayao Miyazaki is involved, from 1965's Gulliver's Space Travels (Garibaa no Uchuu Ryokou) to 2010's Arrietty (Karigurashi no Arietti).

I started collecting Ghibli figures as well ::) ;D (only the ones made by Cominica, which is the only company that is given Miyazaki's blessing).

That's about it :).

Metallisuchus

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 31, 2012, 06:23:47 PM
I collect Music (for the main part Electric Guitar orientated, no matter what style).

Here are my Top 20 - Electric Guitarists (no specific order):

- Allan Holdsworth
- Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
- Steve Vai
- Adrian Belew
- Michael Landau
- Scott Henderson
- David Torn
- Robert Fripp
- Mattias "IA" Eklundh
- Django Reinhardt
- Brett Garsed
- Steve Morse
- Eddie Van Halen (until 1884)
- Ritchie Blackmore (until 1978)
- Eric Johnson
- Mike Keneally
- Jeff Beck
- Nuno Bettencourt
- Ron Jarzombek
- Frank Zappa, who I think was the most important musician of the 20th century, mainly as a composer, producer & bandleader.

Naturally I do collect Electric Guitars themselves, but because I don't like average guitars too much, this is a very expensive matter.
So I only have three:

- Fender Custom Shop '56 Stratocaster, black & white vintage finish (main guitar at the moment)
- Steinberger GM4TA with full wooden body
- Charvel handmade Eddie Van Halen Strat model, black with yellow stripes (If you know the 2nd Van Halen album - the one on the backcover, that's it ^-^, bought it in 1986 - the guy who sold it to me said it was stolen from Eddie Van Halen :o I never believed that story. On the other hand, nobody else played these guitars back then.

I collect figures of all kind of animals ;D!
- favourite scale for Dinosaurs & other prehistoric creatures: 1:35 & 1:20
- favourite scale for modern animals: 1:20

I collect animated DVDs about prehistoric life.
I collect (well-illustrated) books about prehistoric life.
I collect books about animals of Australia (the books also have to be from Australia).

I collect comic books & art:

- Sam Kieth
- Berni Wrightson (until early 80s)
- Barry Windsor-Smith
- Jean 'Moebius' Giraud
- Richard Corben
- Will Eisner
- Robert Crumb
- Jeffrey Jones
- Arthur Suydam

..... and almost all the big Marvel Silver Age series (60s) - forget about Roy Lichtenstein! Jack Kirby is the true superstar of Pop Art.

I collect every piece of movie Hayao Miyazaki is involved, from 1965's Gulliver's Space Travels (Garibaa no Uchuu Ryokou) to 2010's Arrietty (Karigurashi no Arietti).

I started collecting Ghibli figures as well ::) ;D (only the ones made by Cominica, which is the only company that is given Miyazaki's blessing).

And I collect other animated movies of all kinds.

That's about it :).

Blackmore is God! Especially during those years, though I do like some of the DP reunion stuff - "Perfect..." & "Slaves..." especially.
Holdsworth is a freak - love his somewhat more "normal" stuff with UK especially.
If you like some of those players, I'd strongly suggest Brian Tatler (Diamond Head), and Michael Schenker (UFO especially, but also MSG & some 70's-era Scorpions).

I've got a pretty extensive record collection myself - mainly CD's, but I've got plenty of tapes & vinyl as well. What I really want to collect though - and I don't even know if they're out there - is coffee mugs w/ highly-detailed, accurate paleo art. I have a few mugs, but they're not exactly part of a collection per se.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Metallisuchus on June 01, 2012, 02:58:53 AM
Blackmore is God! Especially during those years, though I do like some of the DP reunion stuff - "Perfect..." & "Slaves..." especially.

When my friend's elder brother introduced me to Blackmore in 1976 (Rainbow Rising) I decided to pick up the guitar - a big turning point in my life :).
You're right - "Perfect Strangers" was a nice comeback. He just never gained that wonderful aggressive and majestic classical feeling again (listen to "Stargazer"! Mio Dio!!).

Holdsworth is a freak - love his somewhat more "normal" stuff with UK especially.

:D It makes me happy that someone here knows Allan Holdsworth - He's the "Guitarist's Guitarist" ;D!!
I just saw him a week ago with Virgil Donati on drums and it was AWESOME!!!! Allan is almost 66 now, but this was the best concert of him I've been to so far :).
The UK years were GREAT - Terry Bozzio rules :)!

If you like some of those players, I'd strongly suggest Brian Tatler (Diamond Head), and Michael Schenker (UFO especially, but also MSG & some 70's-era Scorpions).

Hey! I'm from Germany - of course I know Michael Schenker - especially love the "Assault Attack" album from 1982 (because it features Graham Bonnet on vocals) :).
Best Scorpions Guitarist by the way was Uli Roth (oh man, the 70s were great ....... I'm getting nostalgic :'().

Libraraptor

Books. I do have lots of dinosaurs and lots of books. I used to collect some Star Wars stuff, too, but now I only have Star Wars...books. I´m especially happy about having both chronicles (original and prequel trilogy).

reidak12

My biggest collection besides my Carnegie dinos is my Bionicles. I also collect stamps and unsharpened pencils.

Takama

Quote from: reidak12 on July 18, 2012, 01:12:03 AM
My biggest collection besides my Carnegie dinos is my Bionicles. I also collect stamps and unsharpened pencils.

OMG your a Bionicle Fan TOO? Great to find another one on here :o ;D.

I loved Bionicle thorghout the years it was active, and sure enough, when the line was canceled in 2010, I was Enraged >:( and saddend :'( at the same time

Do you collect the hero factoreys now?, or are you hunting Bionicle sets online?

oh, I also notice your name Reidak: Mukuta Rider, I  Toa Takama shall vanquish your darkness :P

ajax

Lego  :-[  I'm an AFOL. Just City/Town stuff, I may buy into the new Dino Lego and create a Jurassic Park style island offshore from my Lego city. I really like building custom building's/ houses etc.

Jetoar

I have other collections forthermore of my dinosaurs. I have two armies of Warhammer Fantasy, Bionicle, Saint Seiya and Transformers  ^-^. I glad to find other people that they have Bionicle  ;D.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

I asked my dad "do you collect anything?" once, and he replied "I do. I collect money"

::)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: