News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Lanthanotus' Collection of Prehistoric Life

Started by Lanthanotus, March 21, 2017, 05:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Customized Bullyland Stegosaurus and Rebor Baby Stegosaurus. I thought the Bullyland Stego a bit bigger and intended to display both together as some sort of a "poor man's Sideshow model". Eventually they don't scale too well to each other as the Rebor's proportions are too juvenile for a figure that scale (1:35). The Bullyland Stego is a very nice figure, but got some inaccuracies (number of toes on the hind feet) so I fixed that and remodelled the head a bit.

Libraraptor

ceratopsian

A shame the scales didn't work out as you hoped, but excellent pictures.

Shonisaurus

The personalized stegosaurus of Bullyland has been great for you Lanthanotus. In fact, they must have painted the eyes of most of Bullyland's figures. I also have to point out that it is a pity that Bullyland has absolutely abandoned the production of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals for me they were great.  :)

modelnut

:D Wonderful! I may have to do this too. No way I can afford the Sideshow pair.

- Leelan

Reptilia

The two stegosaurs look surprisingly good together, like they were made by the same manufacturer. Although honestly I don't know how much you customized the Bullyland one to fit with the Rebor's juvenile. Did you just repaint the eyes?

Lanthanotus

Thanks to you all.

Yes, I bought them as I thought them a nice pair that does not require a serious repaint to fit togther. I may still give them a shared base despite the scale.

I actually cut off the eyes of the Bullyland (the default eyeballs were bulging out like a frog's), bulked out the cheeks, throat and added brows. The hind feet now got three toes/hooves and the front feet got a slightly enlarged inner claw (Original Bullyland).

Reptilia

Nice job, go with the base!

Lanthanotus

Hatching baby sauropod sculpt .... no species specified really (not least due to the lack of fossil remains of embryos/hatchlings for almost any given sauropod species).

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

Yeah,... while most hatching chicks or reptiles loose the egg tooth during hatching and on most it rarely can be seen, I deemed it approriate and more interesting to include it and have it quite large (in comparison to recent animals) due to the size of the egg and the thickness of the shell the baby has to break.

Libraraptor

Megalosaurus

Hey!
Nice stegosaur diorama! I like it a lot.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Bokisaurus

postsaurischian

Quote from: Lanthanotus on January 27, 2018, 09:50:40 PM
Customized Bullyland Stegosaurus and Rebor Baby Stegosaurus. I thought the Bullyland Stego a bit bigger and intended to display both together .......

:D Very beautiful! Well done! I like the Bullyland figure much better now.
      Don't worry too much about the scale. They look great together.
      Although I wasn't keen on both figures, I'm a fan of your disply now.
      This proves once more that you just have to present something in the proper light and ... there you go :) .

Lanthanotus

Thanks, I am glad you like those customs and sculpts :)

Just to clarify... the "Stegosaur Diorama" is actually just a build up for the photo, Z. Burian backdrop and a piece of acacia bark, unfortunately no more room for permanent diorama on my desk at the moment (not that size anyway :D)

[Edit: Sorry.... already showed those pictures earlier in this thread,... didn't shift them to the right folder]

UK

Quote from: Lanthanotus on February 12, 2018, 10:47:50 PM
Thanks, I am glad you like those customs and sculpts :)

Just to clarify... the "Stegosaur Diorama" is actually just a build up for the photo, Z. Burian backdrop and a piece of acacia bark, unfortunately no more room for permanent diorama on my desk at the moment (not that size anyway :D)

[Edit: Sorry.... already showed those pictures earlier in this thread,... didn't shift them to the right folder]

Looks fantastic. Funny how we both had the same idea independently about using the Burian books as a backdrop. It does seem sacrilidge to remove the leaves from the book though.

Keep up the good work.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: UK on February 12, 2018, 11:12:43 PM
[...]

Looks fantastic. Funny how we both had the same idea independently about using the Burian books as a backdrop. It does seem sacrilidge to remove the leaves from the book though.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,... I learned to appreciate the art of Burian like 30 years back when I got a dinosaur book (Spinar & Burian, translated from Russian) as a gift from my grandma. As a child I sure liked the pictures with animals on them most, but growing up I learned more about the nature and environment and when you go outside and have a look, the first thing you do is seeing landscape, not animals, let alone anything bigger than a sparrow. Paleoart is often concentrated on animals and paintings with just landscape are rare. How i deceided to cut those paintings out and used them for backdrops you can read here if you are interested, as generally I would agree that such a technique is sacrilege.

So,... here's something without an iconic background:

Custom Bullyland Mini Apatosaurus (?), bought this when we visited the Gondwana Praehistorium like two weeks back. The figure measures 2.6 cm height and 7 cm from tip to tail.

Bokisaurus

Okay, that is just adorable! Good job on that mini diorama ^-^

Lanthanotus

I usually do not buy knock offs but I could not resist this one. Got aware of the sculpt one or two years back (though I didn't know until quite recently that it was an Kaiyodo original) but always encountered the figure within overpriced lots of junk. So I am quite happy I could get this one out of a lot but I sure could not refrain from repainting it.
(I guess though I'll replace the images once I can shoot it with an overcast sky for better colors).

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.