News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 05, 2017, 12:47:37 AM
If we already know what color Psit. was why would they make it green? That'd be like making a panda bear figure and painting it blue.

Colouration is only known from one Psittacosaurus specimen.  As there's a number of species of Psittacosaurus, it means colour is known from only one Psittacosaurus species.  As the Psittacosaurus Wikipedia page describes, the colour specimen is a Jehol Psittacosaurus species, but apparently not P. mongoliensis.  As far as I'm aware that leaves P. lujiatunensis and P. meileyingensis as species the colour specimen could represent.  On the Wikipedia page it says the colour specimen is most likely from the Yixian Formation, and the only Psittacosaurus species from there is P. lujiatunensis.  However, it seems the colour specimen's species couldn't be determined due to how its skull is preserved.

BlueKrono

Interesting. I hadn't considered that. I never think of dinosaur species really, normally just genus, but I do know of a few. Pachyrhinosaurus, Lambeosaurus... Are there other dinosaur species that differ to a great extent from others in their genus?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Reptilia

Not a dinosaur, but Dimetrodon's species are lots and of different sizes.

amargasaurus cazaui

Even then the argument is not that simple.....there are a give or take dozen or more psittacosaurus species, scattered through an area of southern asia rather large an diverse in possible types of forestation, and general topography. Aside from this the dinosaur itself seemed to exist in some form for give or take 90-130 million years ago across that entire area. It is also safe to say there may have been easily dozens more species we do not have evidence for.....consider how many birds today we speciate by color, behavior , location or nesting behavior..in short, mostly factors that do not lend themselves to preservation.
   Even beyond that....as Sim stated we know coloration for one specimen...what we lack knowing is male or female...were they both colored the same? Consider ducks for instance.......While it is doubtful the male would be colored like the known specimen and the female green, another species in another zone, or another time period could easily be vastly different.
    Regarding the specimen with known coloration it is a debate basically over what time period you assign the specimen. It was not found in situ, but rather recovered at a mineral show in the United States. If you assign it one formation you get one set of possibilities, and another you get other possibilities. Sim is correct in stating some of the more obvious choices ..the leading contender, based on another  factor present suggests P. lujiatunensis...namely the remains have indicative chewing marks from a tusk toothed dinosaur of some type, most likely Heterodontosaurus....

[
QuoteFrom Liaoning Province, three species of the genus Psittacosaurus have been reported; Psittacosaurus mongoliensis, P. meileyingensis, and an as yet unnamed taxon (Sereno et al. 1988; Sereno 1990; Xu and Wang 1998). Unfortunately, the skull is exposed
Fig. 1 Skeleton of Psittacosaurus sp. with bristle-like integumentary structures at the tail (specimen SMF R 4970, Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg, Frankfurt am Main, Germany). The skeleton is seen from its ventral side, the frames indicate the position of the details seen in Figs. 2a and b
Fig. 2 a Detail of the skin preservation of the left shoulder. b Detail of the skin preservation at the left foot. The scale bars equal 10 mm
from its ventral side and since important diagnostic species-level characters are thus not clearly visible, a reliable assignment to any of the fairly similar psittacosaurid species is difficult and depends on further preparation of the specimen. [/quote
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 05, 2017, 03:03:52 AM
Interesting. I hadn't considered that. I never think of dinosaur species really, normally just genus, but I do know of a few. Pachyrhinosaurus, Lambeosaurus... Are there other dinosaur species that differ to a great extent from others in their genus?

Yes... in Daspletosaurus for example.

spinosaurus1

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 04, 2017, 10:51:33 PM
The orientation of the hands themselves appears incorrect as well.....it is not just the stance that is problematic. It is a solid figure from them, and surprisingly well done I agree.I will be getting a few of them, as it is an intersting species, and remarkable for a model from Schleich. I wouldnt place it in the level of best around.........that would likely go to Doug watsons, safari model, or Aaron Doyle's shapeways versions. With the incorrect hand posture it might be considered a tie with the old Carnegie model or perhaps at that level.

true, I did overlook the hand orientation. and I agree, it not in the league of Aaron's wonderful shapeways sculptures

though, the superior anatomical accuracy aside, I personally think the schliech figure is at least on par with the safari ltd figure from a sculptural point of view. the fine scalation detail and subtle muscle definition just gives some real life to the schleich figure, and the taught and organic wrinkles and folds only accentuates that presence. idk, the safari ltd, while a fine figure in its own right, just seems a bit clunky to me, likely due to the very large scalation size and muscle definition. the wrinkles and folds are also much better represented in the schleich figure from the looks of it. not a big fan of the leopard color scheme on the safari figure also. though, i'm not a fan of the schleichs color scheme either. so I guess that's a moot point, lol.

from a purely artistic and sculptural standpoint, I really like what has been done with this psittacosaurus figure. I might even pick up 3 of these little guys. one just to have, one to repaint, and the last one I plan on altering and reposing to get it into a more anatomical stance/hand placement and repaint it. I think that would be a fun project :)

spinosaurus1

i have a question, i've been seeing people who has received the new tyrannosaurus sculpt. might i ask where is this figure available for purchase?

Turacoverdin

Completely agree spinosaurus1; sculpturally, the Schleich Psittacosaurus is slightly superior in spite of it's inaccuracies. The sculpt has a subtlety to it that makes the animal it's portraying more believable (or life-like, as you put it). It's a shame it appears to have been overlooked because I think Schleich have a very talented sculptor on their hands, and for the first time I'm excited to see their output for next year. Like you said, I'll be picking up at least two - one for collecting purposes, the other to repose and paint.

As for the T. rex, I don't know where you're from so I wouldn't know shipping fees, but it might be worth trying some of these links:
https://www.schleich-s.com/en/GB/dinosaurs/products/tyrannosaurus-rex-14587.html
https://www.everythingdinosaur.com/product/schleich-conquering-the-earth-t-rex/
https://www.amazon.com/Schleich-Tyrannosaurus-Rex-Dinosaur-Figurine/dp/B0744C2X26/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1512686250&sr=8-8&keywords=schleich+tyrannosaurus+rex Just to note, on Amazon it is inordinately expensive for some reason.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on December 06, 2017, 07:12:10 PM
The orientation of the hands themselves appears incorrect as well.....it is not just the stance that is problematic. It is a solid figure from them, and surprisingly well done I agree.I will be getting a few of them, as it is an intersting species, and remarkable for a model from Schleich. I wouldnt place it in the level of best around.........that would likely go to Doug watsons, safari model, or Aaron Doyle's shapeways versions. With the incorrect hand posture it might be considered a tie with the old Carnegie model or perhaps at that level.

true, I did overlook the hand orientation. and I agree, it not in the league of Aaron's wonderful shapeways sculptures

though, the superior anatomical accuracy aside, I personally think the schliech figure is at least on par with the safari ltd figure from a sculptural point of view. the fine scalation detail and subtle muscle definition just gives some real life to the schleich figure, and the taught and organic wrinkles and folds only accentuates that presence. idk, the safari ltd, while a fine figure in its own right, just seems a bit clunky to me, likely due to the very large scalation size and muscle definition. the wrinkles and folds are also much better represented in the schleich figure from the looks of it. not a big fan of the leopard color scheme on the safari figure also. though, i'm not a fan of the schleichs color scheme either. so I guess that's a moot point, lol.

from a purely artistic and sculptural standpoint, I really like what has been done with this psittacosaurus figure. I might even pick up 3 of these little guys. one just to have, one to repaint, and the last one I plan on altering and reposing to get it into a more anatomical stance/hand placement and repaint it. I think that would be a fun project :)
Iunderstand what you are saying regarding the musculature and body shape, which would seem more an eye of the beholder type asthetic, and everyone has a different view perhaps. To my own eyes the figure looks too bulky and the neck and tail because they are thickened so much appear more truncated than they would have been. However flip side, it might have been a very robust animal ....either view is possible.
    The scaling and coloration of the Safari were an attempt to interpret the actual fossil using the papers that were released regarding the Psittacosaurus specimen in the Senckenberg Museum in Germany and follow the evidence somewhat....whereas the Schleich piece is not supported by an actual paper or evidence. It is an artistic view of a species we so far lack color or scale evidence for....vs the species Doug rendered for which that evidence does exist and was influential in the choices made. For that reason, I have to again say they are both unique and wonderful models, I will own them both however from an accuracy standpoint the Safari piece at least for coloration and scaling does follow established evidence.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

spinosaurus1

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 07, 2017, 10:51:39 PM
Quote from: spinosaurus1 on December 06, 2017, 07:12:10 PM

Iunderstand what you are saying regarding the musculature and body shape, which would seem more an eye of the beholder type asthetic, and everyone has a different view perhaps. To my own eyes the figure looks too bulky and the neck and tail because they are thickened so much appear more truncated than they would have been. However flip side, it might have been a very robust animal ....either view is possible.
    The scaling and coloration of the Safari were an attempt to interpret the actual fossil using the papers that were released regarding the Psittacosaurus specimen in the Senckenberg Museum in Germany and follow the evidence somewhat....whereas the Schleich piece is not supported by an actual paper or evidence. It is an artistic view of a species we so far lack color or scale evidence for....vs the species Doug rendered for which that evidence does exist and was influential in the choices made. For that reason, I have to again say they are both unique and wonderful models, I will own them both however from an accuracy standpoint the Safari piece at least for coloration and scaling does follow established evidence.

Oh, I do not deny that the safari Ltd psittacosaurus is the more scientifically accurate version and well aware on their efforts on incorporating our current knowledge of this animal. It is an awesome figure in its own right and I greatly appreciate the effort. With that being said, I am truly impressed by the sculpt of this psittacosaurus and anatomical shortcomings asside, it is a must have regardless. The safari Ltd version just looks more... Stiff and clunky in comparison. Instantly contrasting with the organic form and fluidity of the schleich figure. But again, it is imo.

amargasaurus cazaui

Certainly and I agree, it is a very nice model....after years of nothing for a new psittacosaurus we got two in two years which is incredible. I am surprised how nice this one is and will definitely get a few for my own collection and I do feel it has great repaint potential.

Shonisaurus

The psittacosaurus Schleich as many forum members point out I see it as an optimal model. Its green color spinach or rather dark green seems to me a very good shade. For me it is a great figure from the paleoartistic point of view in the sense that it resembles many paleontological works. Although I know that all the comparisons are odious, so independently I like Safari more and more, it does not stop being a figure that will make a good company to my models of psittacosaurus.

The triceratops is by far the best as I have repeated countless times that the Schleich brand has done and its colors are avant-garde moving away from its conservative style as we had been accustomed in that figure the Schleich company and in general in most of the figures the brand of Schleich companies. From the paleoartistic point I would put a 8.5 / 10 note to this Schleich triceratops model, as far as psittacosaurus Schleich would put a note of 9/10. They are very nice and very cool figures.  :)

spinosaurus1

Quote from: Turacin on December 07, 2017, 10:40:16 PM
Completely agree spinosaurus1; sculpturally, the Schleich Psittacosaurus is slightly superior in spite of it's inaccuracies. The sculpt has a subtlety to it that makes the animal it's portraying more believable (or life-like, as you put it). It's a shame it appears to have been overlooked because I think Schleich have a very talented sculptor on their hands, and for the first time I'm excited to see their output for next year. Like you said, I'll be picking up at least two - one for collecting purposes, the other to repose and paint.

As for the T. rex, I don't know where you're from so I wouldn't know shipping fees, but it might be worth trying some of these links:
https://www.schleich-s.com/en/GB/dinosaurs/products/tyrannosaurus-rex-14587.html
https://www.amazon.com/Schleich-Tyrannosaurus-Rex-Dinosaur-Figurine/dp/B0744C2X26/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1512686250&sr=8-8&keywords=schleich+tyrannosaurus+rex Just to note, on Amazon it is inordinately expensive for some reason.
how on earth is it $224!? what the heck amazon?

Takama

ITs an early release being taken up by scalpers.

Wait until January, then it should cost less.

Turacoverdin

QuoteAs for the T. rex, I don't know where you're from so I wouldn't know shipping fees, but it might be worth trying some of these links:
how on earth is it $224!? what the heck amazon?
When I posted the links it was $42. I'm amazed any scalper thinks someone would buy it for $224.

Reptilia

Even 42 bucks sounds quite a steal for that figure.

Turacoverdin

Yeah, that's originally why I said it was inordinately expensive, but $224 is just taking the mick.

Shonisaurus

It is best to buy it in an online store of a lifetime instead of eBay or Amazon. There is much speculation in the prices of resold dinosaur products and somehow the prices of many dinosaur figures and prehistoric animals both on eBay and Amazon are wild. If you want to save money and have another source to buy or physical or online business of a lifetime, which also make a discount, it is preferable to choose that option by far.

Takama

Well the Tawa and Pisttacosaurus were both sculpted by someone who actually knows more then a thing or two about dinosaurs.

They were sculpted by Vlad Konstantinov, the guy who worked on the Stomping lands Tyrannosaurus

SpartanSquat

Are you sure Tawa and Psittacosaurus were sculpt by Vlad?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: