News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Reptilia on November 03, 2017, 01:56:05 PM
Seems like Safari wants to compete with Collecta on the prehistoric mammals ground, but I think that all three new Safaris matching Collectas are kind of inferior. Very slightly I have to say, because I find Daeodon, Megacerops and Uintatherium all pretty nice, but if I have to pick a model of those genera I'd choose Collecta. On the other hand I think that I prefer this WS Regaliceratops to the Collecta version, I assume it'll be the same size of other Safari's ceratopsians, so bigger than Collecta's, and the colours and head sculpt look more interesting to me. Ankylosaurus is nice too, just not my thing. So far I think it's a fairly good year for Safari, Anzu is the peak while only Amargasaurus is subpar, in my opinion. Let's see that other sauropod now.

I think it has more to do with Safari ending their partnership with Carnegie which apparently wouldn't allow them to produce mammals. I embrace the new Safari mammals, they all look fantastic and will display well with the Safari mammals that already exist. I personally prefer them over the CollectA models. But's that's pretty much my sentiment on Safari in general.

Lanthanotus

Yeah, prehistoric mammals with closed mouths and a calmed stance, just what my collection needs - in all honesty! Definetly get these.

I also like that Amargasaurus, though its size will make it look a bit off amongst the other longnecks and I really hope there will be anohter sauropod.

Fenestra

Quote from: JoeytheDeinocheirus on November 03, 2017, 08:03:14 AM
Quote from: Fenestra on November 03, 2017, 07:58:50 AM
Does anyone have an idea what scale the new Amargasaurus will be?
1:30-1:35?
Bigger?  :o
I'm obviously eye balling this, but about 1:25 scale

Yikes! I really like it, but that's too big for my collection.
The Ankylosaurus however is perfect!
It needs some love in the paint department, but I can fix that myself.  ;D

Shonisaurus

The ankylosaurus is a hyperrealist work of art that eclipses all the figures made on this figure before a figure of luxury.  8)

The regaliceratops along with the ankylosaurus have been the two figures that I liked the most about this super detailed figure and very nice,  beautiful as none that leaves in question the figure of Collecta, good yes but small and not very detailed.  8)

As for the uintatherium I have a different image of that figure and sincerely and I do not want to offend anyone I like Collecta more without this figure does not stop being good but its anatomical interpretation does not convince me due to the canons that I have on said animal prehistoric but it will be among my purchases.

On the other hand megacerops is very beautiful but it does not reach the geniality of collecta Megacerops sincerely. Although their colors are conservative (which I appreciate) and is a very well made figure that resembles a pachyderm I like more than the other company sincerely. That does not mean I'm going to collect it.

Honestly I was most struck by the daeodon and the americanum mammoth (mastodon) were great figures.

I understand that lovers of dinosaurs (among which I am not like other prehistoric animals in this case prehistoric mammals, in front of the opinion that I deserve all the respect and understanding of the members of the forum I really like that also make prehistoric animals not only of mammals, but also pterosaurus, marine reptiles, birds, crocodiles that do not belong to the dinosaurs, I celebrate that they have done this year and the previous one so many prehistoric mammals since they have been very much ignored by the toy companies of prehistoric animals.  ^-^

I wish that all the extinct animals were represented in the toy market and that the companies continue to focus as they do with Safari and Collecta on little known or little / not represented animals.

I really like dinosaurs but I am also very much in love with all prehistoric creatures.  ;)

Irritation

I really love the Ankylosaurus. I will definitely get this one. I was expecting a Centrosaurus, but this Regaliceratops looks good and at a different color scheme than the CollectA version. I like the Megacerops, since we needed more prehistoric rhinos. The Uintatherium is decent and I might get that one.

Minmiminime

I'm very keen on all of the dinosaurs...and I don't usually collect prehistoric mammals, but these are very tempting, Too!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Jose S.M.

I was pretty sure that the ceratopsian was Styracosaurus so I'm a little surprised that it is Regaliceratops, but also very happy.

Takama

Urgh.     Not a New Triceratops or Styracosaurus :'(

I know many of us are sick of seeing common specis, but i think they really need to update some of there models to the current standards

terrorchicken

more prehistoric mammals! I love the megacerops! also we get a new Przewalski's Horse!

QuoteSeems like Safari wants to compete with Collecta on the prehistoric mammals ground, but I think that all three new Safaris matching Collectas are kind of inferior

yeah thats my one issue with this, why are they choosing species that are already easily available by other companies? OTOH their versions are about half of what most of the Collecta extinct mammals cost so maybe they are purposely choosing the same species as an option for collectors who think Collecta's are too pricey?

Id like to see more uncommon choices from them like the mastodon in the future.

amargasaurus cazaui

said a long time ago it was Regaliceratops....nice one too. Glad we got this one....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Faelrin

Just got on after getting up and came to check this thread out like usual. I'm so excited. The Ankylosaurus is finally revealed, and the ceratopsian is a Regaliceratops (I was hoping it would either be that or Styracosaurus). Oh man the wait to get these is going to kill me. I hope there will be a Styracosaurus and new Triceratops at some point, but I'm super glad the Regaliceratops got made, since it's one of my favorite ceratopsians. The new mammals are cool too. I was not expecting those at all. That new Bison too looks so good (and I just picked up the current older Bison figure a bit ago). I think I'll need to get that one as well, alongside the Musk Ox. I'm also glad to see what I suspected was true, that there's a new Przewalski's Horse figure. This is really shaping up to be another year of good, or rather fantastic releases.

I'm curious though, Doug did you sculpt the Ankylosaurus, Regaliceratops, and Bison (and anything else just revealed)? If I recall, you did the Mastodon, the Daeodon, and the Musk Ox too?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ravonium

Well, looks like the long spoken-of Ankylosaurus has finally been shown to us by the company and the anticipation was worth it. This is probably the best Ankylosaurus figure currently available. The Regaliceratops is also not bad, however it isn't too much better than the Collecta version. This doesn't appear to be the only figure that they're competing against Collecta with, as they have released two mammal figures that Collecta have already made, Uintatherium and Megacerops.

Unfortunately, I don't think these figures are as good as the respective Collecta versions, especially in the case of the Uintatherium. While this figure is certainly not awful, the figure is, in my opinion, less detailed and is a bit conservative, in terms of skin covering, for my liking. This being said, these figures are good alternatives for people who don't want to pay for the Collecta versions. I can somewhat understand, though, why people think the Megacerops is better than the Collecta version. In my opinion, the figures are pretty much equally good. There are pros and cons of both figures and neither version is perfect.

Honestly, I don't think this year's figures was as good as 2017, There are only two figures in this year's reveals (so far) that I plan to get: The Ankylosaurus and the Anzu. I personally predict that there is a chance that this might be Collecta's year, For example, the Regaliceratops is probably the first ceratopsian that's been made that isn't better than the Collecta version. And then there are the 3 mammals that they have made. In my opinion, the only mammal they've released that I actually think is worse than the Collecta version is the Uintatherium. The Daeodon and the Megacerops are not better than the Collecta versions, but they aren't worse either.

Neosodon

I'm kind of disappointed in safari this year not  that their figures are bad or anything but they have made the two of the most annoying business decisions that irritate me the most. The first one being over sizing. Since they only did it with one model this year I won't really complain but hopefully it doesn't become a thing. If it does they should consider making a separate deluxe line like collecta does. The other thing that irritates me is copying to compete. The fact that they made the same obscure species of ceratopsian the year after collecta when their are so many other spiecies waiting to be made it is no coincidence. It's like safari thinks that they have to show that they can do everything better than collecta to show their fans that they're superior. I like both collecta and safari and want to see both of them succeed and I'm pretty sure most of their fans feel that way too. When both companies make the same spiecies around the same time I will tend to just buy one. If they tried to cooperate instead of compete they would both benefit.

That being said the artists have done a good job as always. The Ankylosaurus may be the best ankylosaur ever made. Maybe even better than the 2015 Saurapelta. I have never had much interest in the Cenozoic era but with this years mammal releases I'm beginning to change my mind.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

It's very possible that is not a case of copying, it has been stated that the artists start to work with even more than two years of anticipation, so some of this figures were scuppered previous to CollectA reveal theirs last year. They could have delayed them but that could alter their next year plans.

Faelrin

So I decided to compare all of the revealed releases so far with the sneak peak images on their FB page. Looks like there's still a few remaining to be revealed (assuming there isn't much more left then that hasn't been glimpsed at in those sneak peek images or in the video). I hope this can help (the other sneak peek images I have not linked have had everything revealed in them). If I missed something, or I'm wrong about something, please correct me. I wonder if everything will be revealed before or by December at this rate, which would be earlier then last year if I recall correctly.

The foot and wing in this image have not been revealed (the snout belongs to the Porcupine): https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21686792_10154967769983193_756446970100769270_o.jpg?oh=9e9abf1c56b4f7fee2ff1e2e466c50da&oe=5A738152

The ear, which seems to belong to a Koala, and the bird like hand (or foot) have not been revealed (the blue tail belongs to the Puff Dragon): https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21641033_10154960197868193_3915161262935113586_o.jpg?oh=72f8aa7a2aa160bcde7255c2f8eceea0&oe=5A719A30

The bird like eye has not been revealed (the snout belongs to the Kangaroo with Joey, and the paws belong to the Siamese cat): https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21740864_10154948831778193_5495702559151744922_o.jpg?oh=f4f8dd7527fcefd3934a9dc24fabc0bf&oe=5AA83B66

Only the Spiny Lobster looking thing has yet to be revealed in these sneak peeks (the others are the Regaliceratops, and the Ongole Cow): https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21728125_10154947372798193_7718155078853932493_n.jpg?oh=9b08f1a5b5bfea6c6186be91305bb20a&oe=5AA8CC4D

The top fins have not been revealed (the bottom belongs to the Leopard Seal): https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21366683_10154929204903193_8484818665325950237_o.jpg?oh=be9c1ed17f4227a0daafd7b204a6ff64&oe=5AA2E36E

The only one not revealed in this image is the titanosaur (the others are the Florida Panther - XL, and the Babirusa): https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21318979_10154924632088193_4780147005259033812_o.jpg?oh=9b77b6d8b9c14968bf3237c4742235e0&oe=5AA238F7
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

The first images wing is from the peregrine falcon shown in the video.

Shonisaurus

Honestly I like dinosaurs especially anzu, ankylosaurus and especially regaliceratops (this together with the ankylosaurus looks magnificent) and the prehistoric mammals daeodon and mastodon.

The ones that least convince me are the uintatherium (especially this one), the megacerops and the amargasaurus. No offense to offend anyone.

Jose S.M.

I have a feeling that the Uintatherium and Megaceros were sculpted by different people, they look a bit different from each other regarding texture, but I might be wrong. They are sculpted in a more classic fashion then their CollectA counterparts, similar to today's rhinos or elephants. I like this  Uintatherium more actually, looks peaceful and relaxed, I like that.

Gwangi

Quote from: Neosodon on November 03, 2017, 06:40:16 PM
I'm kind of disappointed in safari this year not  that their figures are bad or anything but they have made the two of the most annoying business decisions that irritate me the most. The first one being over sizing. Since they only did it with one model this year I won't really complain but hopefully it doesn't become a thing. If it does they should consider making a separate deluxe line like collecta does. The other thing that irritates me is copying to compete. The fact that they made the same obscure species of ceratopsian the year after collecta when their are so many other spiecies waiting to be made it is no coincidence. It's like safari thinks that they have to show that they can do everything better than collecta to show their fans that they're superior. I like both collecta and safari and want to see both of them succeed and I'm pretty sure most of their fans feel that way too. When both companies make the same spiecies around the same time I will tend to just buy one. If they tried to cooperate instead of compete they would both benefit.

That being said the artists have done a good job as always. The Ankylosaurus may be the best ankylosaur ever made. Maybe even better than the 2015 Saurapelta. I have never had much interest in the Cenozoic era but with this years mammal releases I'm beginning to change my mind.

It's already been going on for years. Last year they both released Einiosaurus, a couple years back it was Nasutoceratops. It's nothing new but I agree, kinda frustrating. Certainly when it comes to ceratopsians though I'll always pick Safari first. I don't have the CollectA Regaliceratops but I'll certainly buy the Safari model.

Shonisaurus

The uintatherium and megacerops are very beautiful and nice figures. That does not mean that for me they seem superior Collecta counterparts and that I seem superior and better elaborated their prehistoric mammals daeodon and mastodon made by Doug Watson whose figures I have the fortune to have on my shelves.

As I have learned although the measurements of these figures already appear, both the ankylosaurus and the regaliceratops are a little larger than a can of soda.

On the other hand the ankylosaurus is as thick as a can of soda. So I understand that their measures are not disproportionate as the amargasaurus for the detractors of big figures like the amargasaurus of that company.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: